AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-11-29, 21:43   Link #2721
darthfury78

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauthik View Post
Oh snap for real? I am so going to be following that series, thanks a lot for the info!

Also, I wanted to say 99%, but then I thought of NGE, and Utena, and a few other series, so I was like, maybe not 99%. But yeah, more thought-provoking than most.

darthfury, it's not a bad idea (although I think it should belong more in fanfiction than as an actual anime series), but what elements would you keep the same? right now, based off of what I can tell from your ideas, you've gotten rid of the whole choosing your gender at the Spring, and instead they're all women, all the time. you're keeping Eri in the series as a major character (with a sister, apparently), you want hentai, and you want Floe and Vyura to be a romantic pair.

where are the similarities? the great love story between Neviril and Aaeru? how are you going to recreate that? they don't have to face going to the Spring anymore, there is no conflict in Aaeru to stimulate Neviril out of her Amuria-angst. are they still going to fly Simoun? what is supposed to keep anyone from flying Simoun? before it was the decision to go to the Spring and grow up, but now that the Spring is only designed to conceive children plenty of people should be able to fly Simoun without a problem. they can even wait forever. the war?

there were a lot of elements that went into Simoun to make it the story that it was. if there was actually to be another series, I suppose Eri could remain, and Floe and Vyura could somehow forge a romantic bond, but doing away with the purpose of the Spring and growing up would get rid of what I think was an essential part of Simoun.

anyway, there are two official mangas out which are based on Simoun but aren't the same. the first, that ran in Yuri Hime, spans three chapters and is what I would be able to accept as an AU of Simoun. the characters do not quite have the same relationships, but they are all there, there still is a war, there still is a Spring, and most things did not change. the other manga is a lot more humorous (I don't know what it ran in) and is more of a spoof on Simoun than anything. it's entertaining, but they could just change the names of the characters and nothing would change. It doesn't really seem to be Simoun.

whatever. you should write out your ideas if you want to and make it into a story or something.
My original idea for the Springs is to do it in a way that goes around its original function. Rather then making the girls either MALE of FEMALE, the Springs will be a marriage ceremony that will confirm that girls are now WOMEN, who will no longer able to fly the Simoun. The purpose is to give one of the FEMALE genders a positive function, meaning that she has the ability to conceive a child to term, while her partner/mate will have a negative Female gender function that would convert her egg cells into sperm cells that will be used to grant her partner the ability to conceive a child.

I believe you know what happens when a positive and a negative charge comes together. It creates powerful affect through magic that make it possible for the Lesbian couple to have children. That would be the permanent gift from the Springs. Even if the couples breakup, it would not change. They would have to find those who have the opposite charge from the other in order to have children. Otherwise, it can't be done.

This is going to be a part of the alternate universe version. The Eri storyline takes place in the anime series, but has a different outcome to it. I want to keep it separate. The Vyura and Floe storyline takes place in the anime as well, except that Vyura is a Female while Floef is a Male. I want to play around with that.
darthfury78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-30, 04:55   Link #2722
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus ex Digital Boy View Post
OH. MY. FREAKING. GOD. I had forgotten just how absolutely AMAZING Simoun is *nosebleed*...when you know what you're getting into the first episode has a LOT more impact.... And by the way I LOVED the extras. The seiyuu were all so awesome! Mamiina's seiyuu is adorable!!!
Thank you for this. It makes my own love of the show flare up again.

And as for Morinaga Rika (Mamiina's seiyuu) being adorable: isn't she? I know I've mentioned this before, but she's really tiny, around 4'10", wears out-there fashions, and is also an actual rocker, lead singer of a goth-rock band called function code(). Here's a little thing about her, with links to her homepage, etc. She posts on her blog quite often. She seems smart, imaginative, and fairly capable. Her lyrics are full of anomie, and her house is full of cats. Here are a couple of photos of Morinaga Rika 森永理科:

MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-30, 06:05   Link #2723
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
By the way, I see that the director of Simoun, Nishimura Junji, will be directing a new show in January, true tears ... The cast includes Nazuka Kaori (Yun)
You know, I'm almost starting to think there's something going on between those two By my count this is their fourth collaboration - Windy Tales, Simoun, Code-E and now this one.

(I'm sure I've pimped Windy Tales before in this thread, but that's no reason not to sing its praises again - besides from the great story and finely polished directing, Nazuka-san does a wonderful job as the main character. Seriously, if you like little anime that stick in the heart then you should go watch this.)
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-30, 17:44   Link #2724
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
You know, I'm almost starting to think there's something going on between those two By my count this is their fourth collaboration - Windy Tales, Simoun, Code-E and now this one....
Thanks for the recommendation of Windy Tales. I'll take another look.

As for Nazuka Kaori (Yun), I think if he tried anything, she'd box his ears. Strangely for someone with that lovely tiny voice, she seems to be a big jock. She's had pics of herself out scuba diving and fishing, etc., in her blog. From her and others' blogs, she seems to be a very nice, strong person, with a lot of friends who have a lot of respect for her. She has done a good job as Cossette in Les Miserables, by the way, now coming up on its 49th episode.

Here are some pics of Nazuka Kaori 名塚佳織 from her blog over the last couple of months:

MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto
Old 2007-12-01, 00:45   Link #2725
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Thanks for the recommendation of Windy Tales. I'll take another look.
Last I checked it wasn't very well seeded - someone needs to create a batch torrent IMO, because it deserves to be shared (even better it deserves to be licensed, but I don't fancy its chances). Despite the completely different stories and settings there are certain thematic similarities with Simoun, e.g. the question of what it means to grow up and leave childhood behind (given what I know of Japanese society I could venture a guess at why anime staff are interested in this, but that would be cheeky). And I may just be imagining things, but if I ever meet Nishimura-sensei I want to ask him if the echoes of WT ep13 in Simoun ep26 are intentional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ri Maajon View Post
I've been trying to figure out if one of my favourite music pieces is included in the two OSTs but I've listened to all the tracks and I don't think I can find it. Anyway, if someone else would be kind enough to confirm it for me, the music piece is in Episode 16 and starts around 20:17 all the way to the ED at 22:48.
My PC and Simoun R2s are far away, so unfortunately I can't answer this. But there are a couple of significant pieces that aren't on either OST - we're missing at least the Pilgrims' Song and a gentle melodic piano piece that shows up in a couple of important scenes. I have a suspicion you're referring to the latter, but someone else will have to confirm that.
Old 2007-12-02, 15:10   Link #2726
dahl_moon
Apathy moe~
*Scanlator

R1 Volume 1 here! Seeing episode 1 all over again gives me such goosebumps. I think I'm starting to get the idea of what Kaoru Chujo has been advocating; the contrast between the numerous pairs of cultures is very stark, and gives quite a bang. But alas, the other episodes will have to come after finals...

PS: Is it just me, or do the R1 discs seem a bit grainy? The name changes I got used to soon enough (minus Rodore), but for some reason the images seem, interlaced, like on television. Slight horizontal lines.

Misc notes:
  • Volume 1 carries episode 1~6. I guess this means we'll miss quite a few covers.
  • A logo that caught my eye: "Yuri Fan."
  • The extras contained a seiyu talk between Aaeru and Nevilill's seiyu and a "seiyu contest vs Pairs." I had to blink a few times before being pleasantly surprised. Not exactly what I expected on a R1 disc.
Old 2007-12-03, 20:55   Link #2727
Futaba-chan
Seigi no Mikata

Send a message via AIM to Futaba-chan Send a message via Yahoo to Futaba-chan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahl_moon View Post
  • The extras contained a seiyu talk between Aaeru and Nevilill's seiyu and a "seiyu contest vs Pairs." I had to blink a few times before being pleasantly surprised. Not exactly what I expected on a R1 disc.
Those were the extras on the early R2 DVDs.

As for the translation, I thought that their episode 1 "dropped it in the middle of the Pacific" (sounded stilted), but that they got better as the volume wore on. There are a lot of places where they sacrificed context and meaning to make the words come out closer to the original Japanese... but in general, they succeeded at telling a coherent story that makes sense. Other than the mangled names (not their fault), I'm optimistic about how the rest of the series is going to come out.

If you enjoyed the fansub, please buy the R1 DVDs. If you never saw the fansub or the raws, do yourself a favour, and buy or rent the DVDs; you've missed a real treat.

And kudos to Media Blasters for actually licensing such a high quality series. I never expected the series to be picked up, and I'm glad that it did, and by someone who didn't Macekre it.
Old 2007-12-05, 23:49   Link #2728
bluesilo

After watching the first 6 eps from media blasters, I had to finish the series with simoun-fans and it was a great series. i mean sure it wasn't as sexual as a male yuri fan such as myself would want, but I enjoyed the series on another level and I guess thats what makes it popular. I plan on trying to buy the releases during the next TSRI media blasters sale to show my support as I do to all shows that I complete. (Shows that I start and never finish I suppose weren't my favorites to begin with so I don't want them)

Anyways...long post short ending....Great Series!
bluesilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-07, 06:18   Link #2729
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futaba-chan View Post
Those were the extras on the early R2 DVDs.
Yeah, there's a full list of them here. I hope they translate Tsukkomi Eizō from Vol 8.

Quote:
As for the translation, I thought that their episode 1 "dropped it in the middle of the Pacific" (sounded stilted), but that they got better as the volume wore on.
I notice the anti-piracy warning on the back cover starts with "This disc has been professionally translated". I don't think I've ever seen that before - presumably it's aimed at the bootleggers, not at quashing rumours that they just lifted the fansub
Old 2007-12-07, 19:32   Link #2730
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori

Aizawa Michiru, the middle-schooler who played Furoe, has finally got another role: in a moe space OVA called Amuri in Star Ocean. The first ep comes out on 21 December.

I liked Furoe, but others didn't, partly because of the harsh voice, I think. So it will be interesting to see if Aizawa-san has a different style of voice for this new role.
Old 2007-12-10, 10:04   Link #2731
atosaki

Grumpy Ojii-san has uploaded his review-video on youtube.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=rjkCcl46UOQ

It's good to see more and more people getting know about simoun. God bless you, MB
Old 2007-12-12, 00:28   Link #2732
LionsMane
Courageous Guardian

Send a message via AIM to LionsMane
Quote:
Originally Posted by atosaki View Post

It's good to see more and more people getting know about simoun. God bless you, MB
Lol, who is this guy?

I just recieved my volume 1 and suprisingly there was two discs in it. Packaging mistake! I have an extra DVD of vol. 1 now.

Anyway I quite enjoyed watching the first six episodes again! I have yet to check out the special features but I'll get to those soon enough.

I really don't have any complaints--mostly just me being nitpicky(like those tacky yellow subtitles)

Can't wait for volume two!
Old 2007-12-13, 10:17   Link #2733
Liingo
Love Hina?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atosaki View Post

Never heard of the guy before now, but he's given a thumbs up to Simoun so he can't be that bad

Now to just wait for the release here in Australia... Or failing that, importing from the US once the series is all done.
Liingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-16, 11:07   Link #2734
Westlo
Lets be reality

Just wow at Sahashi Toshihiko's score for this show, he will never top this.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-22, 14:20   Link #2735
dauthik
Guitar Hero

Send a message via AIM to dauthik
a rather random thought:

Does anyone NOT like Aaeru x Neviril? Because I was thinking about it, and how it was definitely one of the most developed relationships I've seen. And I was like, how can anyone not like them? But maybe some people don't.

Feel free to extend this to other legitimate pairings that you don't like, because I ended up liking all of them, except for possibly Kaimu x Alti, although IMO they never developed into something more after going to the Spring.
Old 2007-12-22, 15:23   Link #2736
changeup

For girl x girl, no way to top Aer (well, I still think this spelling is more fitting) x Neviril. However, for boy x girl, I like Floef x Aer better. Floef is just too sweet a guy... hope he can find a nice girl.

Quote:
a rather random thought:

Does anyone NOT like Aaeru x Neviril? Because I was thinking about it, and how it was definitely one of the most developed relationships I've seen. And I was like, how can anyone not like them? But maybe some people don't.

Feel free to extend this to other legitimate pairings that you don't like, because I ended up liking all of them, except for possibly Kaimu x Alti, although IMO they never developed into something more after going to the Spring.
changeup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-22, 20:35   Link #2737
Otomefan

Simoun for me was an anime I lost interest in quickly. Its a good concept, I will certainly give it that. However I became extremely lost early on, and at the end of the series still had no idea what had occurred.
Otomefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-22, 21:56   Link #2738
Fweakin

Quote:
a rather random thought:

I think the series would have been relatively hard to like if you didn't have much love for Aaeru x Neviril, considering the time spent on their relationship.

I didn't really feel the Kaimu x Alti pairing either, or Kaimu x Parietta, but I thought Alti x Parietta could have been interesting. I enjoyed when they shared the screen. They were always very honest with one another.
And one by one back in the Closet lays.
--Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam
Fweakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-22, 22:24   Link #2739
changeup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otomefan View Post
Simoun for me was an anime I lost interest in quickly. Its a good concept, I will certainly give it that. However I became extremely lost early on, and at the end of the series still had no idea what had occurred.
I guess part of the problem is that from a narratological point of view, the focalization of this series is mainly external. We saw a lot and heard a lot of conversations, but very little about how each one was thinking was shown. Even when it was shown, typically only a sentence or two, and most of the time very equivocal. Therefore, you need to make a lot of speculations of the meanings and circumstances about what they said and what they did, and this is not always an easy task. Personally, when first time I went throught this anime, I had a lot of difficulty understanding what's going on in a lot of occasions. However, after watching it several times, upon noticing a lot of details I had previously ignored, everything started to fall in place.

Simoun is a terrific piece of anime. It is quite unlike a lot of fast-food series that you watch them you enjoy them and that's all. Simoun is certainly worth going over several times, and your efforts on it will be rewarded.
changeup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-23, 17:36   Link #2740
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
I am kind of curious as to how and why did you reach the end of the series if you got extremely lost early on. I got totally lost after watching Texnolyze and I just stopped watching it. Apart from the first episode I don't think Simoun was difficult to follow but my perspective might be skewed by reading so much comments abotu the episodes in this thread.

I actually love Aaeru and Neviril as separate characters but I am not that fond of their love affair, I like it but not as much as the characters (I hope that made some sense ). I really liked Rodoreamon x Mamiina, though.

Quote:
Simoun is a terrific piece of anime. It is quite unlike a lot of fast-food series that you watch them you enjoy them and that's all. Simoun is certainly worth going over several times, and your efforts on it will be rewarded.
Yes, it's a great series for rewatching.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, science fiction, yuri