AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-03-11, 22:33   Link #2761
dauthik
Guitar Hero
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: somewhere cold
Age: 24
Send a message via AIM to dauthik
I wonder what the chances of this soundtrack being released in the US are... I really want to listen to it, but I'm not enough of a fan to dish out $40 to import soundtracks from Japan, (I mean, I'm not enough of a fan to pay $40 for ANYTHING like that; only paid like $13 for Radiohead's In Rainbows, and that's already a pretty sizable amount) only enough to buy it if it shows up as a CD. :/
__________________
dauthik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-12, 15:24   Link #2762
LionsMane
Courageous Guardian
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Age: 25
Send a message via AIM to LionsMane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumani View Post
oooh yes! you're right! I guess no one made that assumption because maybe Aaeru's grandfather was a guy? maybe...?

On another note, about the glittery stuff with age, you guys are making it so confusing! lol, i didn't think Simoun was going to be like this!
There are some people who have theories of Aaeru's grandfather being Amuria. I find it a little hard to come to such a conclusion simply because a lack of information we're given about Aaeru's grandfather but that is another theory that gets thrown around.
__________________
LionsMane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 13:55   Link #2763
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Near Cincinnati, OH, but actually in Kentucky
Age: 26
Or the fact that, if Amuria were transported to a time so near to the one in which she left, it would have likely been made known somehow who she was.
__________________
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-18, 01:56   Link #2764
Sibylla_Aaeruer
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
hi...
i kinda found out about Simoun recently and i just finished watching it.
if anyone reads these forums, could someone tell me where i can get
more simoun things (i.e. drama CD) and how the game is?
and maybe where i can see or learn how to save the eyecatches without subtitles
so i can use it as wallpaper...?
i'll go read the insider stuff on their site now...
nvm... kuradashi simoun isnt working for me...
what should i do now?
Sibylla_Aaeruer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-24, 07:26   Link #2765
Simon
気持ち悪い
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibylla_Aaeruer View Post
if anyone reads these forums, could someone tell me where i can get
more simoun things (i.e. drama CD) and how the game is?
There's a merchandise list on Wikipedia that covers all the official releases, except for promotional stuff like posters and telephone cards. Everything's Japan-only except for the R1 DVDs, but there should be enough details on that page to search your favourite online retailers (e.g. the drama CD is available from CDJapan or Amazon).

I particularly recommend the OSTs. In answer to dauthik's question above I doubt they'll ever see a US release, but they're absolutely worth the Japanese prices IMO.

Quote:
and maybe where i can see or learn how to save the eyecatches without subtitles
so i can use it as wallpaper...?
You can get all the eyecatches here (2.8MB zip archive, capped from the R2 DVDs). If you'd prefer something higher resolution then PinkuBentoBox has some very nice vector traces. Other than that, the only wallpapers I'm aware of are on the CD-ROM that came with the PS2 game limited edition.

EDIT: Some of the vector trace download links are broken, but they work if you take the "v2" out of the filename.

Quote:
i'll go read the insider stuff on their site now...
nvm... kuradashi simoun isnt working for me...
what should i do now?
The link on the "Special" page is broken, but you can still find the articles here.


And while I'm posting, AOD gave a positve review of Volume 2:

Quote:
Many times, when a show starts out strong, the anticipation for later episodes ends up hurting enjoyment of those episodes, but this disc keeps the strong pacing and storytelling from the previous volume. When a show continues to deliver on high expectations like this one, then it is definitely doing something right. Highly recommended.

Last edited by Simon; 2008-03-24 at 07:51. Reason: Workaround for broken links.
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-02, 13:46   Link #2766
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Simoun's animation director/character designer, Nishida Asako, has a nice personal site, Berries. Check out the "gallery" (some pics quite unworksafe). She just posted a new drawing of Aaeru and Neviril, as "black lady and white imp" (click to enlarge):



Nishida-san also did Fate/Stay Night and Touka Gettan, and is doing the upcoming Vampire Knight, which starts next Monday. But all of those are game or manga adaptations. Simoun is her original work, and she clearly has more love for it than for the others.

By the way, note that my new avatar/sig is Yukana, who played Dominura in Simoun.
__________________
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 20:48   Link #2767
kamo
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 23
I tried drawing fanart of Aaeru. The hair is kind of green though. ^^;;
Spoiler for pic:
__________________
kamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 21:29   Link #2768
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Simoun's animation director/character designer, Nishida Asako, has a nice personal site, Berries. Check out the "gallery" (some pics quite unworksafe). She just posted a new drawing of Aaeru and Neviril, as "black lady and white imp" (click to enlarge):


Aaeru looks so unusually girly. Nice picture.
__________________
'The world we live in is always in darkness.'
'Yes, and that is why we seek light.'

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 20:41   Link #2769
anselfir
Style Über Alles
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NYC/Chicago
to preface this, i will say that before watching simoun, and some lesser shows that will remain nameless (go hiromi :3), i was pretty jaded with animu. the wholesale commercialisation, misplaced priorities, and utter disgusting values marks the death of the industry. the fantasy medium and unique cultural perspective are utterly wasted by nonsense.

however, OMFG. this show is godly. fucking godly. a redemption of animu. elite level show with high and broad vision, epic narrative skill, jesus level subtlety. oh my god it fucking owns.

really, the level of maturity and depth here is amazing, even giving common and typical flaws of the themes redemption by inviting the viewer to take a perspective years ahead of most shows. this is an example of substantial animu without pretention. brilliant and impressive.

calling this a yuri animu is a joke. please, no. this thing would put grad level gender studies classes to shame. trust me. contrary to 'alternative' animu being a wasteland of deformed sexual fantasies, simoun challenges conventions productively and really requires a healthy view of life and sex in order to be fully appreciated. it is utterly mature and above the filth, even to the degree of reservign the right of some indulgent service content. now, i am not shy in calling shit as shit, nor do i reserve some place for yuri just for the sake of it. but this is not properly a yuri animu, except if one elevates yuri to a high sense that is really properly a take on love from the yuri form. if you are turned off by the yuri theme, you really need to be more open.

fantasy, not really. this show manages to cling to reality, and uses the fantasy setting for productive effects. this show shows what eva and haruhi, and other lesser shows, what could be done in a fantasy medium.

anti-war theme is very uniquely presented. it does not bash you with the overt sentimentality, rather, the substantial bombs will be substantial.
Spoiler:
war's brutality and demands on one's state of mind is brilliantly brought out by juxtaposing the viewer's familiar, sentimental expectation of the war theme (it'll feature horrid stuff, with lots of mourning and crying) to the oblivious and aristocratic aloofness of the girls, while also managing to make the latter genuine. the result is to highlight the traumas of the war experience and giving a fresh and absolutely dignified angle that calls into mockery all the dignified posturing that surrounds war and its participants.

every character is pretty good, no annoying ones, and no useless ones. every one adds some dimension to the show, or showcase substantive issues.

music, superb. visuals, pleasant, not glamorous, but well designed. the design decisions added what they can, and we are not presented with pretentious symbolism. every important detail is elegant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas View Post
I don't like the pairing, because I don't like Aaeru. Developed relationships are all well and good, but Aaeru never rang true to me as a character. She felt like a plot device.
and roasted beef is a side dish. yes, she is a plot device if you mean she moves the plot, but the movement is substantial, not reliant on flashy metaphysics and nonsensical crutches. what is meant as ornamental,
Spoiler:
stayed ornamental, and her character's unfolding is an illustration of a powerful ideal unfolding through a variety of situations. brilliant.



__________________
some ancillary

favorite character should be aelle (most elegant spelling of the name i could find). rooting for her is heroic. more gar than the fucking pussies and idiots that populate garbage. kicks ass

then it is yun, holy princess of virtue, rimone, cute cute. that red eyed woman.

there are some complaints about the opening and the ending, but look, the episodic format of animu placed this burden, that each episode is demanded to be interesting, but the overall work might actually benefit from a wide and sweeping opening, or a settling ending. the episodic flow is quite nice, but the writers are not constrained by the format, evident by the time jumps at the beginning of episodes. it is not the 'offer every move up on a platter to yer 13 year old audience' type of show, yet the transitions are not random. the viewer's natural understanding of how events progressed is demanded of quite often. again, pay attention to the substance here, which is quite a bit richer than anything before or after this. not to say, this is the deepest animu could ever go, but this is an elite level work in the confines of its own objectives. it is really pretty good, placed within the realm of all arts. good novel material.

Last edited by anselfir; 2008-04-09 at 02:04.
anselfir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 09:47   Link #2770
Yui from Okinawa
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Okinawa / Ryukyu mainland near the Taipei
Age: 44
Send a message via Yahoo to Yui from Okinawa
Allison to Lilia is successor to simoun

This series takes place in a time roughly equivalent to the 1930s in our world. The world is divided into two cultures by a towering mountain range and huge river, and at the time of the story, the two cultures have been at war for hundreds of years. Allison, an air force pilot, and her childhood friend Will (pronounced Vill), who has a photographic memory, end up stealing an airplane and chasing some kidnappers across the river into the other country. Fortunately, they speak both languages...

"Allison & Lillia" is based on the light novels "Allison" and "Lillia and Treize", by Keiichi Sigsawa. The first cours will cover the "Allison" novels, while the second cours will cover the "Lillia and Treize" novels. "Lillia and Treize" occurs about 15 years after "Allison".

[Source: Wikipedia"Allison & Lillia" ]



Animesuki forum "Allison & Lillia"






Official anime site:
http://allison-web.net/

New sky-adventure show in JAPAN.

Promotion video (youtube)Pronmotion trailer

Opening"Tameiki no Hashi (溜め息の橋)"
Ending "Sayonara no Omajinai (サヨナラのおまじない)"
#1 Part 1 Subbed ("Allison and Will" 1/3)
#1 Part 2 Subbed ("Allison and Will" 2/3)
#1 Part 3 Subbed ("Allison and Will" 3/3)

#2 Part 1 RAW "To the enemy nation !" 1/3
#2 Part 2 RAW "To the enemy nation !" 2/3
#2 Part 3 RAW "To the enemy nation !" 2/3
Yui from Okinawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 10:37   Link #2771
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Age: 25
Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
I don't think being based on a similar setting is enough to make it a "successor" to Simoun. The latter had many qualities that set it apart from the rest of the shows--and the setting's common enough, anyways (Last Exile, anyone?).

From watching the first episode, I doubt quite a bit that Allison & Lillia is going to have the same impact Simoun had on me.
__________________


Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 20:54   Link #2772
FuzzyWuzzy
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Ugh can these women be more emo? I'm at episode 8 and all they do is be emo and emo and emo every dang episode. One emo person stopped being emo only to have another person be emo. Then they introduced more chars that are emo. Ugh!
__________________
FuzzyWuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 21:08   Link #2773
anselfir
Style Über Alles
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NYC/Chicago
characters in simoun are not emo at all. they are pretty emotionally mature, as you will see later. emo is a quaint little word to use, you better put it in more explicit terms. emotional themes are legitimate.


btw, anyone know what the insert song in ep 21 is?
anselfir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 21:13   Link #2774
FuzzyWuzzy
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Atleast that pink haired girl stops being emo at the end of episode 8. They are getting annoying. Now the blue hair girl is going to go emo. Atleast the two main chars seems to be in control now.
Resolve isn't cheap.... took them 9 episodes. Geeze.

Edit:

Those ships or simouns are haxxors.... totally unfair.
__________________

Last edited by FuzzyWuzzy; 2008-04-12 at 21:55.
FuzzyWuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 21:59   Link #2775
anselfir
Style Über Alles
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NYC/Chicago
lol mmk
anselfir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-13, 00:22   Link #2776
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Age: 25
Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Ugh can these women be more emo? I'm at episode 8 and all they do is be emo and emo and emo every dang episode. One emo person stopped being emo only to have another person be emo. Then they introduced more chars that are emo. Ugh!
Emo?

I don't see them trying to cut their wrists, or crying about how the world is unfair to them and how they aren't getting enough recognition. Perhaps the only part where the emo stereotype approaches the characters' attitudes is in the fact that, basically, Simoun tells the story of the struggle between childhood and adulthood. That's at least the theme for Aaeru, the main character--there are other issues at work in the rest of the cast.
__________________


Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-13, 11:07   Link #2777
FuzzyWuzzy
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Emo?

I don't see them trying to cut their wrists, or crying about how the world is unfair to them and how they aren't getting enough recognition. Perhaps the only part where the emo stereotype approaches the characters' attitudes is in the fact that, basically, Simoun tells the story of the struggle between childhood and adulthood. That's at least the theme for Aaeru, the main character--there are other issues at work in the rest of the cast.
Emo has a different meaning in anime community than the rest of the world.
It's like the word "twink". It has a different meaning in world of warcraft game when compared to the world.
Language is ever changing even if people do not accept that.
Emo is currently used in MTV to mean emotional to describe or ridicule shows and celebrities.

However just to prove it to you, emo is originally used as a way to describe a subculture that copies punk rock musicians with their own distinct style of clothes, music, fashion, tatoos, and etc just to say or make a statement to the world that they are unique. This is definition is definitely not your definition. Get the point?
__________________
FuzzyWuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-13, 11:17   Link #2778
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Age: 25
Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Emo has a different meaning in anime community than the rest of the world.
Eh? I see how Shinji could be called an emo, however, I do not see how Aaeru, Morinas, Paraietta, Floe or Dominura could be called that.

Quote:
It's like the word "twink". It has a different meaning in world of warcraft game when compared to the world.
Language is ever changing even if people do not accept that.
What? I think you just jumped the gun on a completely unrelated matter. I do acknowledge that language changes, though. I'm a translator, so I have a strong linguistic background to assert on language-related matters. I don't see what that has to do with characters in Simoun being emo, or at least, you haven't explained it in full. However, your own interpretation of a word does not a complete definition make, my young padawan, if it's not shared by a sizeable amount of people.

Quote:
However just to prove it to you, emo is originally used as a way to describe a subculture that copies punk rock musicians with their own distinct style of clothes, music, fashion, tatoos, and etc just to say or make a statement to the world that they are unique. This is definition is definitely not your definition. Get the point?
Perhaps if you would care about actually defining emo as you're using the word instead of acting condescendingly I would get your point.
__________________


Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-13, 12:19   Link #2779
FuzzyWuzzy
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
In anime, characters can be emotional. Most of us like it when there's emotional conflict in the anime. However, when the anime character comes to the point where his/her emotions prevent her from doing stuff and degrades her character to nothing but a stupid helpless useless character and if this helplessness, uselessness and stupidity occurs for a couple of episodes to the point where the viewers are just annoyed, that character becomes emo. It's even more annoying when the character makes a decision based on his/her emotions that will ultimately lead to disaster for obvious reasons.

So the pink haired girl is emo. Why? She doesn't want to go to the spring and she doesn't want to fly because of the incident. Ok! We get it, they don't have to keep repeating it every episode. It gets annoying especially when people are watching the anime from beginning to end. I don't want to keep seeing her useless crap every episode where she is dragging every character down.

The twin sister was also emo. WTF! Why did she have to go out of the simoun just to find her sister in the enemy ship? She could have just waited. Stupid and annoying! We all knew that was going to lead to disaster. All I could think about was stupid stupid stupid stupid... jump stupid jump.... wth, jump idiot.... then the enemy pointed a gun at them and I'm like ugh what an idiot. She still didn't jump because her sister was below. When they are back, I'm like, she almost died trying to find her sister, when she found her, she didn't want to be near her then at the simoun ship, she doesn't want to talk to her or do anything with her. WTH!?!
__________________
FuzzyWuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-13, 13:18   Link #2780
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Age: 25
Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
In anime, characters can be emotional. Most of us like it when there's emotional conflict in the anime. However, when the anime character comes to the point where his/her emotions prevent her from doing stuff and degrades her character to nothing but a stupid helpless useless character and if this helplessness, uselessness and stupidity occurs for a couple of episodes to the point where the viewers are just annoyed, that character becomes emo.
Hmm, so it really depends on the annoyance of the viewer. I sincerely can't help you there. I don't think characters acting based on their emotions or troubled by them are "emo", or deserve to be viewed in a negative light. I understand people complaining about Shinji crying all the time in NGE, but I believe they're ultimately missing the point, because, man, people act based on their emotions all the time (in the case of Shinji, people are also missing how important Shinji was for anime at the time, but that's another story). The same thing I think of you and your opinion of Simoun.

At any rate, you quoted two characters even though earlier you said that the whole cast was being emo--I don't see how Neviril and Kamui make it up for all of it.

As for the reason of Kamui being "emo"... You ought to find it in further episodes. That's like complaining because not everything is explained from the beginning.
__________________


Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
drama, science fiction, yuri

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:23.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.