AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-09-23, 00:04   Link #1861
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon
I wonder, do those who choose female avoid all that bursting into tears at inconvenient moments as their bodies go through Estrogen Hell? Although given the signs of, um, development we see in the older girls, perhaps they've already been through that at puberty...
Which reminds me of something I've been wondering for a long time: can a pre-choice (someone think of a better term, please) girl become pregnant?
Old 2006-09-23, 06:22   Link #1862
Seska

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy
Which reminds me of something I've been wondering for a long time: can a pre-choice (someone think of a better term, please) girl become pregnant?

Doh!!!

My Head spinns crazy.. Dont bring RL truth in a Anime fiction World *Head clear again*

Like some kind of RL History.... You get my point?

Here for Simoun:

The Church faction works against the Military faction in Simulacurm...

They send the other Choirs to the springs, where the Military faction was not happy about. (Some sidenotice when they where at the Meeting)
The Highpristers (Temple One) forced the "Peace". They was surprised for the sideeffects that the Peace contract brings with it,
so the Military faction has his revenge now (Disband the last and best Choir. Girls going to spring etc. etc..) I hope you relaized it, too.

So, Simoun Politics to compere it with some RL old history... Is impossible...
so, RL Biologie to compere with Simoun biologie is the same

Mfg,
Seska
Seska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-23, 07:10   Link #1863
m000m000

Spoiler for warainagara/minor(???!!) things in 26:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneplusme
Spoiler for episode 26 speculation:
You know, that is such an almost stupidly convinient way to wrap all those things up in one big smash (why didn't anyone think of this before? ) that it's just too good to pass totally over, so I'd be surprised if it didn't play out like that or at least a similar manner.

Spoiler for moar explict detail stuff:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignae
Great line from Key Board, too (how could I have missed it? skipping spoilers is indeed a bad idea). That's precisely what I think the "eien no miko" means to them.
/me curses the over-bloated spoilertag-usage of this thread

No one reads your posts if you spoilerify them

Spoiler for Essentially the same thing, but a bit more explict:

That being said, I think people here mark the subject of their spoilers pretty well, so you shouldn't be too afraid when treading around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy
The way I see it is that they're just that - girls before going to the spring, and women afterwards, if they chose to be female.
Evidently it's not just a 'rite of passage' even for those who decide to remain female (See: The Onashia case), so I've always taken it that while they technically may be female before their visit to the spring too, they wouldn't actually be fertile or capable of reproduction until after it.

Last edited by m000m000; 2006-09-23 at 09:39.
m000m000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-23, 13:27   Link #1864
Futaba-chan
Seigi no Mikata

Send a message via AIM to Futaba-chan Send a message via Yahoo to Futaba-chan
Yet another mind-blowing possibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by m000m000
Spoiler for episode 26:
Spoiler for speculation for episode 26:
Old 2006-09-23, 13:37   Link #1865
Futaba-chan
Seigi no Mikata

Send a message via AIM to Futaba-chan Send a message via Yahoo to Futaba-chan
Three more questions

Spoiler for through episode 25:
Old 2006-09-23, 13:42   Link #1866
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori

Quote:
.../me curses the over-bloated spoilertag-usage of this thread. No one reads your posts if you spoilerify them....
We have been very scrupulous in using spoiler tags to cover potential spoiler material. But I have wondered why we aren't counting wowo's softsubs -- and especially her hard subs -- as subs that free us not to use spoilers. Is there anyone reading this thread who has not seen eps 20-25 subbed?
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-23, 16:48   Link #1867
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
But I have wondered why we aren't counting wowo's softsubs -- and especially her hard subs -- as subs that free us not to use spoilers. Is there anyone reading this thread who has not seen eps 20-25 subbed?
Well, since links to raws are banned at Animesuki, this overusage of spoiler tags in theory enables people who follow only the hard-subbed releases to follow this thread. Of course, such people seem to be in short supply and they will get spoiled anyway since not every post episode 16 info is hidden inside spoiler tags.

Spoiler for specualtion about Aaeru's grandpa:

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-23, 20:30   Link #1868
Key Board
Donut

2 more days!
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-24, 03:03   Link #1869
warainagara
CA

Send a message via MSN to warainagara
Spoiler for a suggestion about Simoun's main theme (1), a long and boring post about Aaeru and Neviril's choice:
Old 2006-09-24, 04:39   Link #1870
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori

I didn't know before that Ishikawa Chiaki 石川智晶, who wrote and sang the great OP "Utsukushikereba Sore de Ii," is a long-time musical partner of Kajiura Yuki, who did the music for .hack//SIGN, Noir, Madlax, Portrait de Petit Cossette, My-HiME, My-Otome, etc., etc. They have been in bands together since high school, and since 1993 as "See-Saw." Ishikawa (37) is the lead vocalist and sang on EDs for GS and GSD, and OP/ED for .hack//SIGN and //Liminality. The Simoun OP is the first anime song she has written herself. (jp.wikipedia)

Ishikawa, See-Saw, Ishikawa (click to enlarge):

MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2006-09-24 at 12:24.
Old 2006-09-24, 05:00   Link #1871
fignae
floofer. floof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warainagara
a suggestion about Simoun's main theme (1), a long and boring post about Aaeru and Neviril's choice
Wow. What a inspired, insightful post. It brought together ideas that have been floating around individually into something that makes sense. I've always been wondering what are the larger themes of Simoun as a work of speculative fiction, and this builds some very interesting bridges. Thank you. Simon has mentioned that he has thoughts on the role of duty in Simoun; I think everyone should write an essay of their own after the series ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo
The Simoun OP is the first anime song she has written herself.
And doesn't it have traces of Kajiura Yuki's influence? *gets sued*

Ishikawa Chiaki has at least one solo album of her own, outside of her work with See-Saw. (By the way, there's a very old video of them on Youtube.) Their songwriting styles are very different. And recently, Kajiura Yuki seems to be collaborating with Nanri Yuuka more; haven't heard anything from See-Saw in a long time.
fignae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-24, 10:33   Link #1872
Simon
気持ち悪い

Wikipedia now has a list of Simoun media (episodes, merchandise, etc). Anyone feel like filling in the romanisations and translations for the OST 1 and OST 2 track listings? Go on, you know you want to...

While collating game info for the list I noticed that Marvellous mention Sunday's Tokyo Game Show event. It was called Makuhari Ri Mājon (after the Markuhari Messe convention centre where TGS was held), and featured Takahashi Rieko, Koshimizu Ami and Yukana giving a "secret talk" and running a Simoun quiz (with "rare goods" as prizes, no less). Here's hoping a proper event report turns up...

/agrees about warainagara's post (but /has to be up for work in three hours, so can't give it the thought it deserves right now)

Last edited by Simon; 2006-09-24 at 10:44. Reason: Left out Yukana. Shame on me!
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-24, 13:07   Link #1873
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori

"Let us go where we can be free."

Great post by warainagara. Thanks for reminding us of that quote.
Spoiler for speculations on theme of Simoun, based on eps1-25:
And further to what fignae wrote, Ishikawa Chiaki has two solo albums: Magnolia (マグノリア, Magunoria,1999) and Inner Garden (2003); and two solo singles: Like an angel / 雨の日に恋をした (Ame no Hi ni Koi o Shita, "Making Love on a Rainy Day", 2004) and Utsukushikereba sore de Ii.

Ishikawa's website has a section for See-saw, which also has its own website. Its last album was in 2003 and last single in 2005 (GundamIV's ED, which debuted at #4 on the charts). There are samples of two PVs on the See-Saw site. On their 2003 album, Ishikawa did the words to five songs, and Kajiura the words to eight and the music for all. Ishikawa did both words and music for Utsukushikereba.

I think Kajiura and Ishikawa keep See-Saw alive just in case it becomes useful again, but are really (especially Kajiura) growing their own careers. Kajiura now performs as Fiction Junction. Hopefully this great song ignites Ishikawa's solo career. No surprise that she's influenced by her old partner. Kajiura was clearly the brains of the operation, and Ishikawa the Voice.

Oh, and thanks to Simon for his work on the very useful Wikipedia page.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2006-09-24 at 15:38.
Old 2006-09-24, 13:44   Link #1874
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
I think Kajiura and Ishikawa keep See-Saw alive just in case it becomes useful again, but are really (especially Kajiura) growing their own careers. Kajiura now performs as Fiction Junction. Hopefully this great song ignites Ishikawa's solo career. No surprise that she's influenced by her old partner. Kajiura was clearly the brains of the operation, and Ishikawa the Voice.
Well, now Nanri is the Voice and also the Beautiful Face, no wonder See-Saw is not active these days.

Spoiler for a bit of eternal shoujo rambling:

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-24, 15:29   Link #1875
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
Oh, and thanks to Simon for his work on the very useful Wikipedia page.
Credit is also due to Futaba-chan (and the other editors), since I nicked her episode list from the main article.

Quote:
I've liked [savage genius] since I heard them do the OP and ED for Uta~Kata (another unjustly neglected show, in my opinion).
Until I read your post I hadn't paid much attention to where the non-Simoun songs come from - turns out my favourite track on the album, いつか溶ける涙 Itsuka Tokeru Namida, is actually the Uta~Kata ED.

Last edited by Simon; 2006-09-24 at 20:52.
Old 2006-09-24, 18:16   Link #1876
Yui from Okinawa

Send a message via Yahoo to Yui from Okinawa
tamiya???

Yui from Okinawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-24, 21:21   Link #1877
Simon
気持ち悪い

Thanks for the images, Yui. Yay, more goodies to look forward to!

If Tamiya are doing a Messis set (as shown), then presumably we'll get sets for all the other characters too. Great to see the Simoun tech from the OP in there. (But I am thinking it's going to be a challenge to paint 1/35 scale mice.)

Hmm, and a 1/144 scale Shimire... How big is a Simoun? I'm trying to visualise that great front-on shot in ep1 with Amuria standing on her and Neviril's Simoun, which leads me to think you could fit a "parked" one inside a 4-5 metre cube - but then I have lousy spatial sense (I also suspect - although I've yet to test my theory - that if you watch the show closely enough you'll find scale inconsistencies between scenes).

So 1/144 seems a small scale to choose - unless, of course, a giant 1/144 Arcus Prima was also in the works...

EDIT: To resolve the question of size, I vote that someone with a practical bent construct a life-size replica Simoun in their back yard (suitably blogged, of course). Bonus points if it flies and/or shows up on Google Earth.

Last edited by Simon; 2006-09-24 at 21:39.
Old 2006-09-25, 02:00   Link #1878
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori

Well, it turns out that the sound director for Simoun was a seiyuu. This appears to be very unusual. I just checked several good anime, and none of them had a former seiyuu as sound director. Simoun's sound director is the voice actor who plays The Irresponsible Captain Tylor, and Miroku in Inuyasha.

If the job of the sound director really is to get the best performances out of the seiyuus -- and it seems to be -- then it certainly makes sense for a seiyuu to do it.

Simoun's sound director is Koujitani Tsuji, 44. His most recent roles were in Eureka7 as "Dewey" and Blood+ as "Solomon." But he was sound director of Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito and Fate Stay/Night. I guess he deserves some credit for the great voice-acting.
Spoiler for photo of Simoun sound director Koujita Tsuji.:

EDIT: Nishida Asako's blog has a new piece about how long it took to develop Simoun, how much she loves it and how she herself looked over just about everything, completely involved in supervising the animation. And it shows her earliest version of Aaeru, "Beautiful Aaeru":
Spoiler for Nishida Asako's earliest version of Aaeru:

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2006-09-25 at 02:22.
Old 2006-09-25, 02:18   Link #1879
m000m000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon
Thanks for the images, Yui. Yay, more goodies to look forward to!
Don't get your hopes up too high - Those are chops. If the image quality and sources (airbrushed screencaps) isn't enough to tell, then the names "Tamita" and "Banzai" should be obvious clues enough .
m000m000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-25, 03:54   Link #1880
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
Don't get your hopes up too high - Those are chops. If the image quality and sources (airbrushed screencaps) isn't enough to tell, then the names "Tamita" and "Banzai" should be obvious clues enough .
Well of course I noticed that, I was just playing along in the spirit of deadpan humour. Yeah, that's it, honest: it's not like I was in a state of sleep-deprived stupidity and posting in a rush while I ate lunch at my desk, oh no...

Move along and wait for ep26 folks, there's nothing to see here

(But I still say someone should build a replica Simoun in their back yard. That would just be cool.)

Quote:
Simoun's sound director is Koujitani Tsuji, 44.
Does anyone know how the ages of the main staff compare to industry norms? We seem to have a number of key people in their mid-40s and up (e.g. Nishimura Junji is 50). Does Simoun's depth perhaps reflect the maturity of the people behind it, or are these ages typical for senior production figures?

Quote:
And it shows her earliest version of Aaeru, "Beautiful Aaeru"
Seeing how I don't have any dignity left after my last post, I guess there's nothing to stop me running around shrieking kawaiiii!! like a teenager on a sugar high...

Dear Santa: I have been good (mostly - DLing fansubs doesn't count). Please bring me a Guri no Machi-quality Simoun artbook for Christmas. Thank you.

Last edited by Simon; 2006-09-25 at 04:28. Reason: Correct Nishimura-san's age. Neeed sleeep...

Tags
drama, science fiction, yuri