AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > My HiME / My Otome

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2006-02-27, 22:34   Link #1
Eclipze
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraDouji
Letting Arika draw her own conclusions = good. That's it.

- Kira
There is a time constrain, no? I mean, 6 episodes left, no Mai, 2 pillars and a shitload of revelations yet.
__________________
Eclipze is offline  
Old 2006-02-28, 06:34   Link #2
Naked Fish
Wench, but not incestous
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Send a message via MSN to Naked Fish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw
As far as the show it's self is concerned, I usually don't pass judgement on series until it's over, otherwise I would have never finished Mai Hime.
I do, or I'd end up watching crap like "Happy Lesson".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw
Death wasn't all over the place for the sake like it was in Hime, and gives Characters like Mashiro a chance to learn from it giving it meaning instead of just having "shock" factor. Otome's world, history and functions are also much more flesh out to me.
I agree that Otome's world, history and functions are more fleshed out, but perhaps that is because Mai HiME is based in the present time and not on some insane nanomachine ugly dress wearing "Who is the princess" world. With moustache men.

I disagree that HiME had death dished out all over the place just for the sake of it. There was a lot of death but damn, that made one of the best last few episodes I've ever seen because suddenly everything just went to hell. It had a great impact, the show is that much more wonderful because of it.

So Mashiro had a chance to learn, that is wonderful. Good for her. Unfortunately she is boring. I don't connect with her at all. Nor do I connect with Nina or Arika. I severely doubt I will ever cry if they died. They are just not such great characters.

Even look at the Shizuru and Natsuki of Otome. They aren't that great in this series, and I'm not saying this because I don't like Shizuru, I'm saying it because thus far she hasn't had any real development apart from now being raped. And no, I don't think she is going to suddenly turn it back on Tomoe saying "Ha! I planned it all along!", because any plan involving your own rape is a pretty messed up plan.

Mai HiME had shock factor, but I like to be shocked a lot more than bored and dissapointed. And openly seeing retarded character development. Arika has some real messed up development.

I'm so damn negative.
__________________
Let us hope that I never have to change my signature to that horrible bet losing one again.
Naked Fish is offline  
Old 2006-02-28, 07:34   Link #3
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchDragon
If we have to wait for Arika to learn things on her own, this series will need at least 52 eps, she's a super slow airhead.

Yes, Arika's developments were forced, but this might be the only way to develop her from a blank slate to where she needs to be in 26 eps.

Well, there is a much easier way - they should have made the main characters a lot smarter to begin with and in that way avoid the forced development. I really don't get this obsession with characters who are as naive and ignorant as you can get in the beginning and gradually learn things and in the end become awesome in all respects. It's a cliche that it's difficult to make enjoyable, especially when the main character happens to be somewhat retarded like Arika.

Quote:
Otome's world, history and functions are also much more flesh out to me.
That's obviously because the real world history had no real importance in the HiME story, since the HiMEs were kept in secrecy. You wouldn't expect the characters in HiME to talk about let's say World War II - the viewers already know about it, it would be rather pointless since it had no relevance to the story. And the history of the Otome world is just a maze of hints, vague remarks and conjectures. Nothing to write home about, if you ask me. It's not bad but it's far from great.

Quote:
I disagree that HiME had death dished out all over the place just for the sake of it. There was a lot of death but damn, that made one of the best last few episodes I've ever seen because suddenly everything just went to hell. It had a great impact, the show is that much more wonderful because of it.
Exactly. Death in MH mainly served to show how easily things can get wrong when a bunch of normal people get superpowers and that the characters' mistakes and conflicts could have rather severe consequences. Give me "shock" like that any day instead of the "meaningful" Aoi' death (who I don't think is actually dead or will stay dead, anyway). Too bad they had to ruin it with that damned reset ending...

Quote:
So Mashiro had a chance to learn, that is wonderful. Good for her. Unfortunately she is boring. I don't connect with her at all. Nor do I connect with Nina or Arika. I severely doubt I will ever cry if they died.
I will cry. Tears of joy, that is.

Quote:
Did you forget about Episode 11, 12 and 15?
Did you forget that she was more or less the same person after these episode? This minor development of her character, could and should have taken a lot less time.

Quote:
Yeah Arika was forced by the Sandworm to use her powers to save her life (well more like Mashiro made her) which was the point. Arika can't survive without her powers weather she hates them or, not, and running away from her problems or, pretending there aren't there like in the last episode doesn't make her situation any better.
The point is that a good character development would have involved her figuring this out on her own, rather than being forced for umpteenth time by extreme circumstances or rather by the script writers. Probably not by contemplating her situation for a month or two but in some other, more subtle way than being eaten by a giant creature just when the plot demanded from her to get a clue about the value of superpowers when you have to save your life. For instance by witnessing someone's death and realising that had this person been an Otome she would have survived. Yes, I know it's easier said than done but the way it was shown just felt so forced. I will readily admit that that I hate Arika but this development makes her look like a bigger fool than she actually is.
__________________
'The world we live in is always in darkness.'
'Yes, and that is why we seek light.'

Matrim is offline  
Old 2006-02-28, 10:26   Link #4
Eclipze
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim
Exactly. Death in MH mainly served to show how easily things can get wrong when a bunch of normal people get superpowers and that the characters' mistakes and conflicts could have rather severe consequences. Give me "shock" like that any day instead of the "meaningful" Aoi' death (who I don't think is actually dead or will stay dead, anyway). Too bad they had to ruin it with that damned reset ending...
I'd think that they had killed too many "main characters" to NOT pull off a reset. I mean, what exactly can an ending become (and not seem empty) with just Mai, after killing off Mikoto and OL? If there was, say, Natsuki and perhaps Shizuru left, and add Mikoto to the group of survivors, then a reset ending can be avoided.

Wait, I know!!! Mai can kill herself, and thats *The End*. I know you'd love this ending.
__________________
Eclipze is offline  
Old 2006-02-28, 10:41   Link #5
Lackadaisical
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipze
I'd think that they had killed too many "main characters" to NOT pull off a reset. I mean, what exactly can an ending become (and not seem empty) with just Mai, after killing off Mikoto and OL? If there was, say, Natsuki and perhaps Shizuru left, and add Mikoto to the group of survivors, then a reset ending can be avoided.

Wait, I know!!! Mai can kill herself, and thats *The End*. I know you'd love this ending.
Aoi and Chie were still alive. Mai could have follow through with her promise to Aoi to meet up with them again.

Also, most of the Hime are still alive; if in a rather bad state.

I would have prefered a melancholic but forthright Mai walking off to join Aoi and Chie ending rather than the one shown.

Of course, a lot of younger people really liked the ending. Given that Mai Hime had more younger viewers than college age or above, Sunrise probably picked the ending best suited to the majority of the audience.
Lackadaisical is offline  
Old 2006-02-28, 10:57   Link #6
Eclipze
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lackadaisical
Aoi and Chie were still alive. Mai could have follow through with her promise to Aoi to meet up with them again.

Also, most of the Hime are still alive; if in a rather bad state.

I would have prefered a melancholic but forthright Mai walking off to join Aoi and Chie ending rather than the one shown.

Of course, a lot of younger people really liked the ending. Given that Mai Hime had more younger viewers than college age or above, Sunrise probably picked the ending best suited to the majority of the audience.
Yea, of course: Most of the Hime were alive and practically brain dead/soul-less. Chances are, they will kill themselves, or become mentally unstable for the rest of their lives (or just angst). And we all hate angsty characters, no?

Chie and Aoi, to me, were side characters in Mai Hime. They are, like many other people in the world of Mai Hime, people who didnt get involved in the whole Hime mess. They didnt even _know_ about exactly what was happening, except that Mai was involved in the mess (or not).

And, do you actually think that Mai's child had a chance (without *power of love* plot-device power-up, DBZ style) to take down both Mikoto's child AND the OL's true form?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim
I wonder why they didn't resurrect Natsuki's mother, the rest of Nao's family, Mai's parents, you get the idea. It would have certainly fit the mood of the ending. But since this has little to do with episode 20 of Mai Otome let us get back on topic
Because only those who went green sparkly were revived? (Alyssa as an exception of coure, but she was counted as a Hime).
__________________
Eclipze is offline  
Old 2006-02-28, 10:57   Link #7
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
I was going to answer in detail but I see Lackadaisical already said what I was going to say, so I will just say that I agree with him. No, screw it, I have to add some more. Even if I tolerated the reset somewhat (I don't hate it that much anyway), the fact that all the characters forgot their conflicts and became something like friends would make me complain about the ending. And the icing of the cake was Alyssa's resurrection, I wonder why they didn't resurrect Natsuki's mother, the rest of Nao's family, Mai's parents, you get the idea. It would have certainly fit the mood of the ending. But since this has little to do with episode 20 of Mai Otome let us get back on topic.

Quote:
Arika wasn't a naive caracter at the bigining
Really? How about the whole "I am going to fight for my dream, never mind that I don't know what the Otomes actually do or what the consequences of my choices will be"? Sounds very naive to me, but you are free to disagree.
__________________
'The world we live in is always in darkness.'
'Yes, and that is why we seek light.'

Matrim is offline  
Old 2006-02-28, 11:07   Link #8
philip72
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Pekopon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim
Exactly. Death in MH mainly served to show how easily things can get wrong when a bunch of normal people get superpowers and that the characters' mistakes and conflicts could have rather severe consequences. Give me "shock" like that any day instead of the "meaningful" Aoi' death (who I don't think is actually dead or will stay dead, anyway). Too bad they had to ruin it with that damned reset ending...
When watching Mai HiME initially we all assumed the "Most Loved" actually died at the time of a Childs destruction, when in actual fact they disappeared, "beamed out" into the pillars so to speak. It seems like the writers decision from the conception of the story, was to have the aforementioned reappear once their columns were destroyed. It was never a reset ending "back from the dead" as such, as the "Most Loved" never actually died. It was simply assumed, initially by the protagonists and the viewers that they had done so in a deliberate deception by the writer.

I liked the fact that the reset occurred. At the time I felt it made the likelihood of a sequel with characters I enjoyed more probable, but it also gave the characters a "happy ending" which I like. In a good story I become invested emotionally in the characters, and though it was heartbreaking to see them picked off one by one, it was gratifying to see them return. After years of the entertainment industry only bumping off minor characters (a la "Star Trek" ensigns), the cliché has now swung the other way, bumping off characters that people have grown to love as a cheap way to "deepen" the story.

In addition It also made possible the thousands of post MH fanfics and other expressions of creativity available as the future of the protagonists was not predetermined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim
The point is that a good character development would have involved her figuring this out on her own, rather than being forced for umpteenth time by extreme circumstances or rather by the script writers. Probably not by contemplating her situation for a month or two but in some other, more subtle way than being eaten by a giant creature just when the plot demanded from her to get a clue about the value of superpowers when you have to save your life. For instance by witnessing someone's death and realizing that had this person been an Otome she would have survived. Yes, I know it's easier said than done but the way it was shown just felt so forced. I will readily admit that that I hate Arika but this development makes her look like a bigger fool than she actually is.
I agree,
It's almost in a sense as if she is the anti-Mai. Mai was emotionally mature (for her age), Kind, intelligent, competent and united the rest of the characters around her. Arinko is emotionally and mentally immature; she does not unite the people around her and is usually a source of division.
A thoroughly unappealing character.
philip72 is offline  
Old 2006-02-28, 11:14   Link #9
PastPrime
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim
And the icing of the cake was Alyssa's resurrection, I wonder why they didn't resurrect Natsuki's mother, the rest of Nao's family, Mai's parents, you get the idea.
Because, except for Alyssa, they were definitely dead. It was my opinion that Alyssa was cryogenically frozen before the poison she was injected with had time to kill her, so I always expected her to be back. Like those people in Japan that recover from blowfish toxin after being declared dead.
__________________

Lucy & Nyu, reincarnated as diclonius twins.
PastPrime is offline  
Old 2006-02-28, 11:21   Link #10
Tremalkinger
Hai, Nao-oneesama!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Cryrogenically freezing someone takes a bit more than simply putting them inside frozen lakewater, I'm afraid. Perhaps a better explanation is that Mashiro simply revived everyone killed because of the tragety of the Festival. Alyssa was killed by Mai during the Festival, and Alyssa only attacked them because of their powers granted by the OL. Nao's family, Natsuki's mother and Mai's mother were all dead for other reasons.

I agree that Alyssa coming back was sort of lame. It was my least favorite part of the ending.


Wait, okay. I'm really off topic aren't I? Um... go ShizTom!
Tremalkinger is offline  
Old 2006-02-28, 11:26   Link #11
PastPrime
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremalkinger
Cryrogenically freezing someone takes a bit more than simply putting them inside frozen lakewater, I'm afraid. Perhaps a better explanation is that Mashiro simply revived everyone killed because of the tragety of the Festival. Alyssa was killed by Mai during the Festival, and Alyssa only attacked them because of their powers granted by the OL. Nao's family, Natsuki's mother and Mai's mother were all dead for other reasons.

I agree that Alyssa coming back was sort of lame. It was my least favorite part of the ending.


Wait, okay. I'm really off topic aren't I? Um... go ShizTom!
Alyssa was killed by who?
And I think you need to rewatch the lake freezing scene.
__________________

Lucy & Nyu, reincarnated as diclonius twins.
PastPrime is offline  
Old 2006-02-28, 11:44   Link #12
Iron Maw
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked Fish
I do, or I'd end up watching crap like "Happy Lesson".
That depends if it gets your interest in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked Fish
I agree that Otome's world, history and functions are more fleshed out, but perhaps that is because Mai HiME is based in the present time and not on some insane nanomachine ugly dress wearing "Who is the princess" world. With moustache men.
Yes, but what I'm getting at is because Otome's world is fleshed out it everything has it's reasons for why the things that happen, happen according to the logic of that said world.

Hime on the otherhand never exaplains why such an important event like "Ikusahime festival" happens every 300 years or why it started in the first place. It sounds like something that random appeared in thhe plot for no reason.
Hime doesn't explain who, or what the SEARS group is other than "mysterious" Organzation or the Golden Millennium. How about the Obsidian Lord? Where did he come from? Are these all just radom events that appeared for no reason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked Fish
I disagree that HiME had death dished out all over the place just for the sake of it. There was a lot of death but damn, that made one of the best last few episodes I've ever seen because suddenly everything just went to hell. It had a great impact, the show is that much more wonderful because of it.
I'm talking about pointless deaths of . Did anything come out of those other then"OMG I don't believe Sunrise did that"? How many people really cared what happened to these Characters who had no development? Kazuya, Midori's Uncle, Nao's Mother or, even the whole issue with Yukariko?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked Fish
So Mashiro had a chance to learn, that is wonderful. Good for her. Unfortunately she is boring. I don't connect with her at all. Nor do I connect with Nina or Arika. I severely doubt I will ever cry if they died. They are just not such great characters.
That's completely fine if you don't find them likeable, not everyone will, I myself really didn't care much for Mikoto, or Akira MH. But like or not they are still the main Characters and will show up quite often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked Fish
Even look at the Shizuru and Natsuki of Otome. They aren't that great in this series, and I'm not saying this because I don't like Shizuru, I'm saying it because thus far she hasn't had any real development apart from now being raped. And no, I don't think she is going to suddenly turn it back on Tomoe saying "Ha! I planned it all along!", because any plan involving your own rape is a pretty messed up plan.
If you hadn't noticed most of MO Cast development comes from MH. Besides Shizuru hardly changed afyer the Ikusahime festival.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked Fish
Mai HiME had shock factor, but I like to be shocked a lot more than bored and dissapointed. And openly seeing retarded character development. Arika has some real messed up development.
If that's the case why do continue to watch? Even if your Favorite Character for MH were to show up it wouldn't change anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim
That's obviously because the real world history had no real importance in the HiME story, since the HiMEs were kept in secrecy. You wouldn't expect the characters in HiME to talk about let's say World War II - the viewers already know about it, it would be rather pointless since it had no relevance to the story. And the history of the Otome world is just a maze of hints, vague remarks and conjectures. Nothing to write home about, if you ask me. It's not bad but it's far from great.
I'm not talking about real world, but on more along the line of why Hime are here in the first place. The reasons every thing that happened, happened see my respone to Naked fish about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim
Exactly. Death in MH mainly served to show how easily things can get wrong when a bunch of normal people get superpowers and that the characters' mistakes and conflicts could have rather severe consequences. Give me "shock" like that any day instead of the "meaningful" Aoi' death (who I don't think is actually dead or will stay dead, anyway). Too bad they had to ruin it with that damned reset ending...
It still doesn't change the fact nothing was gain from any of the deaths except for Takumi's, Tate's and Shizuru and Natsuki.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim
Did you forget that she was more or less the same person after these episode? This minor development of her character, could and should have taken a lot less time.
It's still character evelopment and it's a lot better than some Characters in MH who didn't get any development till last couples of episodes, or with some none at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim
The point is that a good character development would have involved her figuring this out on her own, rather than being forced for umpteenth time by extreme circumstances or rather by the script writers.
Huh? It happened before? And I still don't see what's wrong in Midori guiding her to her awsers. It's been plenty of stories before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim
Probably not by contemplating her situation for a month or two but in some other, more subtle way than being eaten by a giant creature just when the plot demanded from her to get a clue about the value of superpowers when you have to save your life.
Considering that she keeps thinking about Erstin, she's definitley has been contemplating it. Because of what happened back then Arika feels that her powers weren't able to help whe she need them the most and blames herself for not being able to stop Erstin's death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim
For instance by witnessing someone's death and realising that had this person been an Otome she would have survived. Yes, I know it's easier said than done but the way it was shown just felt so forced.
It's already been done, see Mashiro. It just would have been repeative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim
I will readily admit that that I hate Arika but this development makes her look like a bigger fool than she actually is.
Then I doubt your suggest scene would have changed your opinion much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCatXIII
Arika wasn't a naive caracter at the bigining ... hell if they just kept her the way she was and used the "grany said" thing as caracter development she would have been my favorite caracter , maybe ... As I see it she went from a solid caracter to a naive one and now is going back, of course we'll have to wait a few ep until she's all back to her former self ... I guess Sunrise is kinda obsesed with the hole "circular story thing" and "let's make the vewers think" approuche ... seriosly not a good idea
Arika has always been naive, due to her upbringing in country and all.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2006-02-28 at 21:02.
Iron Maw is offline  
Old 2006-02-28, 11:45   Link #13
Tremalkinger
Hai, Nao-oneesama!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastPrime
Alyssa was killed by who?
And I think you need to rewatch the lake freezing scene.
What I meant to say was... Alyssa was defeated by Mai. Most of the HiME, when defeated, went into various states of shock or depression... Alyssa became sick and tired, and couldn't properly defend herself from Joseph.

And yes, I am kind of stretching for an explanation for why she came back. I already agreed it wasn't the best part, didn't I?
Tremalkinger is offline  
Old 2006-02-28, 13:20   Link #14
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
All right...I tried to split off most of the My(Mia)-HiME chat from the Episode 20 thread. Feel free to pick up the discussion from here, but leave it out of the Episode 20 thread.

Thanks.
Catgirls is offline  
Old 2006-02-28, 13:34   Link #15
PastPrime
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremalkinger
What I meant to say was... Alyssa was defeated by Mai. Most of the HiME, when defeated, went into various states of shock or depression... Alyssa became sick and tired, and couldn't properly defend herself from Joseph.

And yes, I am kind of stretching for an explanation for why she came back. I already agreed it wasn't the best part, didn't I?
I will just say that I did not see anyone back at the end of Mai HiME that I did not expect to see back, including Alyssa. But, I don't see any logical way for the people who have died so far in Mai Otome to come back. Although it is possible that Aoi survived her fall, after all people in real life have been known to survive such falls. But, if she survived she would be badly injured and need someone to care for her. Other than that I don't see anyway to bring specific people back and it would get pretty complicated if all the people who went green sparkles came back. All the defeated Schwartz agents and possibly all the defeated Otome and their masters (since we haven't actually seen if they go green sparkles).
__________________

Lucy & Nyu, reincarnated as diclonius twins.
PastPrime is offline  
Old 2006-02-28, 17:00   Link #16
WhereAmI
Ecchi Otaku
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Inside your head, I'm a figment of your imagination
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnseiSong
well, I'm glad that I'm not the only one not quite enjoy the show.... maybe because I expect too much from it? I don't know, but one thing for sure I do know is that, they started out way to strong. After that, I think from ep 4 to ep 16 or so.... nothing enjoyable happen! There was few parts of the some eps are important and made me think for a while... but other then that.... It's not that great of show.

Now with the turning point of the show.... which didn't feel like at all (but realized later IT IS happening when people started to die). I guess it's getting better. Still I'll just hope for a good wrap up ending.

Kinda think about it.... my first reason for watch this show is because of the characters in Mai Hime... other then that.... the characters they choose to be the main characters aren't that intersting... I don't like Arika, Nina have this father complex, and Mashiro, who didn't have any character development untill ep 18.
Not sure if Catgirl will be deleting this, but lets give it a try

I kinda agree with you in that I don't enjoy this series as much as I like Mai-Hime (even though I like this series, and think it is a good series I don't think it is a great series).

For me, I think it had to do with the fact that Mai-Hime focused a lot more on Mai and her relationship with her friends, so when they started "dying" you felt something, because you were so emotional attached. I feel this series jumps too much to a lot people's individual story, and making too many main characters; its hard to be emotionally attached. The only "sad" death for me was Ers, when Aoi died it didn't have that same affect, and I believe it won't have the same effect when others start dying too.
__________________
Anime, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the anime watcher WhereAmI. My mission to seek out new anime series and new OAVs. To boldly go, where no Ecchi Otaku has gone before!!!

Now can someone tell me how to get there ???

Last edited by Catgirls; 2006-02-28 at 17:10.
WhereAmI is offline  
Old 2006-02-28, 18:05   Link #17
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
It still doesn't change the fact nothing was gain from any of the deaths except for Takumi's, Tate's and Shizuru and Natsuki.
What did you expect to be gained anyway? Midori's Child's death freed Miyu, hence it allowed the happy ending to happen. Haruka's discovery of Shizuru's secret habits which led to her "death" also led to Shizuru's insanity. And so on. And most importantly the gate to the land of Fuuka or whatever was the name of the place where the OL dwelled, couldn't be open unless all but one of the MIPs were dead so there was actually a point in these deaths, even we do not count the emotional effect. The plot simply wouldn't work without these "deaths". It's not as if the characters just went mad out of the blue and started killing each other just for the sake of killing (Shizuru is a bit of an exception ).

Quote:
And, do you actually think that Mai's child had a chance (without *power of love* plot-device power-up, DBZ style) to take down both Mikoto's child AND the OL's true form?
Well, I wouldn't mind the OL actually winning in the end, plus usually when there is a will, there is a way, especially when it comes to the clash between hero(ine) against the evil lord. For instance something like Mashiro using the power of the pillars and somehow destroying the star without resurrecting the MIPs might have worked. But that's just speculation.

Quote:
When watching Mai HiME initially we all assumed the "Most Loved" actually died at the time of a Childs destruction, when in actual fact they disappeared, "beamed out" into the pillars so to speak. It seems like the writers decision from the conception of the story, was to have the aforementioned reappear once their columns were destroyed. It was never a reset ending "back from the dead" as such, as the "Most Loved" never actually died. It was simply assumed, initially by the protagonists and the viewers that they had done so in a deliberate deception by the writer.

I never claimed that the writers got drunk or something and while suffering from hangover decided to change the ending to a reset. I just say that I don't like it. It goes a bit like this - resurrecting some of the characters - fine by me. Resurrecting all the MIPs - not all that fine but still tolerable, someone had to destroy the HiME Star, right? Resurrecting Alyssa and Nao getting back her eye - what's next, maybe the OL is also not dead, after all?! Everyone being friendly to each other in the end - man, this ending is such a happy one that it is something of a complete joke. I half expected Nagi to marry Mashiro in the end in order to emphasise the cheerful mood in the final minutes.

Quote:
In a good story I become invested emotionally in the characters, and though it was heartbreaking to see them picked off one by one, it was gratifying to see them return. After years of the entertainment industry only bumping off minor characters (a la "Star Trek" ensigns), the cliché has now swung the other way, bumping off characters that people have grown to love as a cheap way to "deepen" the story.
On the contrary I would say that the reset cheapened the sacrifices made by the characters. Killing off characters is a cheap way of deepening the story only when handled poorly and done just for the shock which I don't think is the case in MH.
__________________
'The world we live in is always in darkness.'
'Yes, and that is why we seek light.'


Last edited by Matrim; 2006-02-28 at 18:52.
Matrim is offline  
Old 2006-02-28, 21:01   Link #18
Eclipze
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim
Midori's Child's death freed Miyu, hence it allowed the happy ending to happen.
Huh? "freed"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim
On the contrary I would say that the reset cheapened the sacrifices made by the characters. Killing off characters is a cheap way of deepening the story only when handled poorly and done just for the shock which I don't think is the case in MH.
This can be argued both ways: Killing off people, rather randomly is a cheap way to write a story, whereas reviving them is also a cheap plot device.

I do agree that having the "losing their personal hatred" stretched the "happy ending" abit, but thats about it.
__________________
Eclipze is offline  
Old 2006-02-28, 21:16   Link #19
Tremalkinger
Hai, Nao-oneesama!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipze
Huh? "freed"?
Gakutenou protected Miyu as she was booting up... from the evil Mikoto monster.
Tremalkinger is offline  
Old 2006-02-28, 21:23   Link #20
Lost
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Okay. Let me barge into this thread. I'm lost. Nope, I'm really lost. So this thread is to debate the reset of Mai HiME?

Well if thats the case, then here are my immature opinions. Very simply put:

I loved the ending, specifically the reset. I liked it because at first they killed everyone and did it with maximum emotional impact, which made me feel for the characters. Then at the end they brought everyone back in time to a hip, hopeful, happy theme. Yes, I know it was a cheap trick/"cheap plot device" by the writers. But I don't care. Firstly I didnt pay a cent for the series. Secondly, the ending made me happy. And thats all that matters. I would have felt like crap for the rest of the month, no..year... if the characters remained dead and the HiMEs remained spaced out. For me, my reasoning is this: Why watch an Anime and invest all that time, when it doesnt make you feel good? (in my case good = happy = smile = warm fuzzy feeling in heart)

No, I'm not kidding myself. I honestly believe that to watch an Anime, most , most, of the enjoyment comes when at the end it gives you a warm happy feeling. Of course this wont apply to all of you, its just how I see things. Feel free to tear my post to pieces.

Now, to discuss the characters that returned. Yes I felt abit off when Alyssa returned, I felt that was too far-fetched. But what the hell? She was one of the pillars that got anti-mattered. She returned, accept it. I also felt Mikoto's erm "return" was silly, but it was actually funny (honestly I wouldnt mind if she remained dead) and kinda set the theme for the rest of the ending episode. For all the other characters, esp Takumi, (you know how I'm such a sucker for their romance) I think that their return was necessary.

There I said what I wanna say. Let me see what else I can add.
Lost is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:48.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.