AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > My HiME / My Otome

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-02-28, 21:39   Link #21
Mr.Hawq
The Hawqman

The ending was quite predictable, you can see how easily the characters were taken away, that you were expecting the expected. I did like the ending, but a little tooo happy for my taste.
Old 2006-03-01, 04:32   Link #22
Eclipze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremalkinger
Gakutenou protected Miyu as she was booting up... from the evil Mikoto monster.
You know, protected and freed is 2 completely different words with different meaning...>_>
Old 2006-03-01, 06:32   Link #23
Naked Fish
Wench, but not incestous

Send a message via MSN to Naked Fish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw
Hime on the otherhand never exaplains why such an important event like "Ikusahime festival" happens every 300 years or why it started in the first place. It sounds like something that random appeared in thhe plot for no reason.
Hime doesn't explain who, or what the SEARS group is other than "mysterious" Organzation or the Golden Millennium. How about the Obsidian Lord? Where did he come from? Are these all just radom events that appeared for no reason?
To be honest, I never really cared about why the festival started, just that it was there. If they had gone into explaining that and the SEARRS group and so on, valuable time would have been taken up rather than concentrating on the actual characters development, which we needed for when they all started to lose.

I always felt there was a larger power like Obsidian Lord around somewhere, there was no way Ishigami could be the ultimate villain of the show. Granted I hated him, but he didn't seem to have an evil enough atmosphere about him. And when he didn reveal his plans to take over the Obsidian Lord, it was kind of retarded. "I'll take his place!". Uhm, how, exactly?

they could have fleshed that all out, but then we'd have the boring episodes much like a lot of Otome has had. However if you are the type of person interested in that then I can see why that would be fairly irritating to you.

Quote:
I'm talking about pointless deaths of . Did anything come out of those other then"OMG I don't believe Sunrise did that"? How many people really cared what happened to these Characters who had no development? Kazuya, Midori's Uncle, Nao's Mother or, even the whole issue with Yukariko?
The pointless deaths of the fullstop?

I actually didn't care about the characters we didn't know that died, but I was interested in the affect their deaths had on the characters. The characters in mourning were developed, so it really hardly matters. Though I did feel bad that Midori's old university professor (where the heck did you get uncle from? ) would have probably just been minding his own business and then suddenly GREEN SPARKLE ATTACK.

The deal with Yukariko was good because it gave us a character to spit on for their weakness. But moreso it paved the way to starting the chaos of the festival.
Quote:
If you hadn't noticed most of MO Cast development comes from MH. Besides Shizuru hardly changed afyer the Ikusahime festival.
I was just using her as an example, I could just have easily said Natsuki. Theres not much time to see if Shizuru did change, in fact the whole scenario between Natsuki and her seems way too glazed over to me. Either they were lazy, or the feeling of tension I get from there is supposed to exist. Natsuki may trust people more now, but it would be plain stupid to trust someone who went on a killing spree for you. And she doesn't strike me as stupid.

And I had noticed, I actually mentioned it numerous times before in other episode discussions. And I wouldn't so much say that the character development was passed on, I'd say it was more of a copy and paste of the characters set into horrible costumes. And they don't get so much screentime either, so it's fairly hard to tell.

Quote:
If that's the case why do continue to watch? Even if your Favorite Character for MH were to show up it wouldn't change anything.
To me it would make all the difference. I'll admit that I would watch HiME over Otome any day, and lets not go into the "But you can't compare them" argument if you're thinking of it (because a lot of people do), because I chose HiME over Otome simply because I like it a lot more. If Otome came first I wouldn't have downloaded the first episode. But, lucky for Otome, HiME gave it a solid fanbase to work on.

I do like Otome, do not get me wrong. But there are just so many wasted episodes on absolute rubbish that could have been squeezed into much less than 20 that it's sad. I continue to watch it because it has been getting much better, and although I hate to watch many of the earlier episodes, there is something I enjoy. Unfortunately I just can't pinpoint it through all the MakiMaki and pointless tentacle monster fight.

Quote:
It's still character evelopment and it's a lot better than some Characters in MH who didn't get any development till last couples of episodes, or with some none at all.
This isn't adressed to me, but what the hell. They have developed a total of 3 characters to such a level of predictability, and so slowly, and still managed to make it look as forceful as possible. And they still somehow made that boring! Most MH characters who didn't get much development till the ending episodes were side characters rather than the three main (Mai, Mikoto and Natsuki). And I'd rather that than them being swallowed by a stone monster in the desert which is trying to digest them with lava. That just makes no sense at all.

Quote:
It's already been done, see Mashiro. It just would have been repeative.
Ah, no. see that was Mashiro watching Aoi die and realizing what a total brat she has been for so very long to the point of her countries people suffering so much. That has nothing to do with Otome powers at all. However a death that could have been prevented if said person had nanomachines being realized by Arika would be much different.

Quote:
Arika has always been naive, due to her upbringing in country and all.
Naive doesn't mean you have to be stupid. We can't blame everything on living in the country. Where I live a lot of kids have to drive in from the country to get to school every day. They sure aren't naive.
Old 2006-03-01, 11:56   Link #24
PastPrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked Fish
Naive doesn't mean you have to be stupid. We can't blame everything on living in the country. Where I live a lot of kids have to drive in from the country to get to school every day. They sure aren't naive.
I hardly see how that would apply to Arika. Her case is more like someone being moved from an 18th century frontier farm to a 21st century city. The kids you mentioned have radio, TV, movies, and computers. Arika didn't even know what those were. And lack of knowledge about things you have never been exposed to is not the same as being stupid.

Lucy & Nyu, reincarnated as diclonius twins.
Old 2006-03-01, 21:51   Link #25
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Does it really matter if Arika is 'stupid' or 'naive' in the first place? Alluding to PastPrime's example of putting an 18th century farm girl in a 21 century city, you have to add the fact that the ruling powers then give said girl 23rd century nano-technology to become an Otome.
I mean, really, if one is to blame anyone, blame Natsuki, Sergei, Haruka, Yukino, Nagi, etc for pushing for Arika to be accepted at Garderobe in the first place. She was put their to further their own agendas, one way or the other.

Really, MH Mikoto wasn't much of a brighter bulb than Arika is right now. In fact, she was even more simplistic. I'd like to think of it as this - This is what would have happened if Mikoto was the 'star' of HiME instead of Mai.

As for the 'reset' ... Everyone's back and that's the way it should be. Mashiro lifted the 'curse' of the Festival from the girls by giving them back their MIPs. Mai was the one who initiated the fight with the true OL - she wanted to fight back against the 'thing' that had manipulated them so much. Mashiro gave Mai and the others the chance she didn't have 300 years ago when it really was just her by herself against OL.
Everything might have been 'glazed over' for the ending but we all know that it's not.
We don't know how much time passed from the fall of OL to the last big scene with the group together so there's a lot of missing group dynamic there. (They should make those missing days/weeks just after the HiME Star into an OVA )
Old 2006-03-02, 01:15   Link #26
wombatlord
All Wombats Shall Bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip72

I agree,
It's almost in a sense as if she is the anti-Mai. Mai was emotionally mature (for her age), Kind, intelligent, competent and united the rest of the characters around her. Arinko is emotionally and mentally immature; she does not unite the people around her and is usually a source of division.
A thoroughly unappealing character.
I'm going to have to disagree with you. It's pretty clearly shown that Arika is, in fact, popular with her fellow students (note how when she defeats Tomoe to get one of the Pearl-dueling slots, everyone flocks to her and Nina enthusiastically).

Furthermore, Mai was a failure in terms of uniting the rest of the characters around her; when everyone began to turn on each other, she became utterly ineffective and fumbling. As a leader, she was a miserable flop.

Mai pretty much spent all her time trying to wiggle out of everything related to being a HiME and tended to act the lone wolf. She only really built a close tie to Mikoto and Natsuki (and her brother and Tate).

Ultimately, she starts out obsessed with her duties to her brother and only overcomes that when he moves on to a relationship with Akira.

She eventually becomes a stronger person by the end, but you're conflating Mai as she is at the end back to where she started.

Arika is certainly immature and naive, but Mai had her own emotional demons to fight.
Old 2006-03-02, 06:51   Link #27
Tatiana Razajev
Karen

Send a message via AIM to Tatiana Razajev
I like the My-HiME ending over all myself. Mainly because it worked with the progress of the show. Plus they made it quite clear that a revival was possible. It's just that rather than Mai becoming all powerful and doing the revival, it was Mashiro herself that did it. All thanks to whatever elaborate scheme she had.

As for the revival of Alyssa Searrs, I look at it this way. First for all we know, she may have been saved around the same time Miyu was picked up. Second even if she died, she's still connected to the festival so she'd be part of a package deal.

I do have one gripe about the ending. Obsidian Lord's true form should have put up more of a fight and I would have liked to see an actual battle against the HiME star. My-HiME should have been at least one or two more episodes so more time could have been spent on stuff like that.
Old 2006-03-02, 08:10   Link #28
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
Really, MH Mikoto wasn't much of a brighter bulb than Arika is right now. In fact, she was even more simplistic. I'd like to think of it as this - This is what would have happened if Mikoto was the 'star' of HiME instead of Mai.
I don't recall Mikoto claiming she would solve the world's problems in the way Arika claimed she was going to stop all wars though. Mikoto is not too smart and she knows it while Arika is dumb but she has realised it (and quickly forgot it after the plot device called Jabbar died) in episode 20. Better late than never, I guess.

Quote:
Furthermore, Mai was a failure in terms of uniting the rest of the characters around her; when everyone began to turn on each other, she became utterly ineffective and fumbling. As a leader, she was a miserable flop.
That's right in a sence but given the circumstances it was virtually impossible for anyone to stop the Carnival so I wouldn't blame Mai much. Do you think Arika would have done better? Yeah, right... I don't think anyone claims Mai is perfect, it's just that she is in a completely different league than Arika.

Old 2006-03-02, 12:46   Link #29
Eclipze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim
the plot device called Jabbar died
Are you sure it died? I remember that it still moved after Arika and Mashiro came out.
Old 2006-03-02, 13:12   Link #30
PastPrime

I would consider the bones to be the biggest plot device. If the acid disolves everything, how were there bones inside it.

Lucy & Nyu, reincarnated as diclonius twins.
Old 2006-03-02, 13:39   Link #31
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipze
Are you sure it died? I remember that it still moved after Arika and Mashiro came out.
It stopped being a plot device because it had already played its role, therefore it was useless, hence for the sake of argument we can assume that it died. Who cares anyway?

Quote:
If the acid disolves everything, how were there bones inside it.
Easy - if there were no bones Arika and Mashiro wouldn't be smart enough to figure out that they were in mortal danger. It's a plot device which is a part of an even bigger plot device. The ingenuity of these writers! Let us all hail them!

Old 2006-03-06, 16:03   Link #32
dznutz

although things seem odd nearing the ending i'm reminded about witch hunter robin where the eps seem tedious until the last 3 or 4 eps. maybe they're working this number down to 2 eps ?
Old 2006-03-12, 08:24   Link #33
Lord Stone

I just re-watched the ending of Mai Hime... and noticed Arika was in Mai Hime too! This probably has been noticed before, and is most likely old news to many people here... but I thought this was really cool! ^__^
Closed Thread