AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Old 2010-02-06, 12:37   Link #2041
Sassarai
Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
Off topic, but FFXI is like any other FF game. There is a main storyline and a final boss to the storyline. There's plenty of stuff to do after beating the story, but that's no different than other FF games either.
The story continues forever with expansions. Even if someone beats the final mission boss, I doubt they would feel like they have beaten the game. Nation missions - > Zilart missions -> Cop missions -> etc, they don't even feel like the main part of the game. I played it for over 2 years and did pretty much everything in the game and yet I've never felt like I was anywhere close to beating that game.
Sassarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-07, 02:26   Link #2042
Hope Estheim
A Hope of Light beckons..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassarai View Post
The story continues forever with expansions. Even if someone beats the final mission boss, I doubt they would feel like they have beaten the game. Nation missions - > Zilart missions -> Cop missions -> etc, they don't even feel like the main part of the game. I played it for over 2 years and did pretty much everything in the game and yet I've never felt like I was anywhere close to beating that game.
You've gotta admit. MMORPGs are addictive. And they prove to be big headaches for counsellors (you go ask shimathekat. He'll spill it all )
Hope Estheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-07, 06:38   Link #2043
Noctis Lucis
It's how you think.

Firstly, my take on FF13.

Plot: The plot was less of an adventure than a drama - and a well-executed one at that. I thought it looked better than Avatar. Then again, I watched the 2D version, so that's another story. Many people thought that Lighting's constant pining over Serah is a turn off. I thought it was a turn on, until I realised we weren't getting any sis-incest.

[Gosh, a counsellor saying that has problems - but the students in my school can be frequently heard complaining, after they imported FF13 from Japan to Singapore - only to find out that FF isn't going to push that - yet]

Score: 9/10

Characterisation: Strong, as expected. Seems that Nomura finally woke up and risen back to his FF7 levels. *sigh of relief* Fang and Vanille were the relative letdowns here because I wanted yuri (Another major complaint amongst students here.)

Score: 9/10

Play: It's a FF game. Need I say more?

Score: 10/10

Graphics: Everything looks good on Bluray. Yes, this is the PS3 version.

Score: 10/10

Others: Lightning is hot. +1.

Total: 39/40. Yes, it was worth the money, and it's what I've come to expect from SQEX.

After FF7, which is the landmark FF game till now, I thought that all the games had a good base, but characterisation was screwed up. (THANKS NOMURA).

FF8: Weak, weak, weak...
FF9: Not to my taste; the screenshots with random sayings like Love; ... you know those, made it worse.
FF10: I thought I was watching a Korean love drama. Fail.
FF10-2: I thought this was some Taiwan idol drama. Big Fail.
FF12: It got better, but this wasn't FF7 levels yet.

So yes, FF13 is placing FF back where it should be, and I have no doubt that FFvs13 is going to do equally well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
There's no reasons to believe why the game will not boot when all PS3 games are region free. But you will need to wait for another season or so after the internation English release since the Chinese copies is only slated to be out around May.
Well, my PS3 is local (Asian - Singapore), BUT my FF13 is Japanese. And it works.

Quote:

Now, in a related news, here is the reason straight from SEX as to why they decide to push out the Chinese translation :-

There you have it. A show of confidence from SEX that the PS3 is indeed the final impregnable bastion in the sea of Piracy, especially that the region of Taiwan, Hong Kong and China isn't exactly well known for their IP Protection.
I'd agree on China. But not Taiwan. Taiwan is Asia's Silicon Valley. So how is it possible to have lax IP laws there? And HK is SQEX's Asian HQ - why there if its IP laws are that bad?

Quote:

But somehow the 360 crowds from the afore mention places, who absolutly refuse to adopt a PS3 for whatever reasons, see this as SEX giving them the finger.
http://digital.asiaone.com/Digital/N...31-195514.html

It's the same in Singapore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassarai View Post
That's why MMORPGs are so addictive. And they form the bulk of the counselling cases here. Many people think that Japanese don't play MMORPGs, they have their PS3/Wii/... where the games have a clear ending, unlike MMORPGs, which can be expanded indefintely. That has changed with FF11, which opened up the idea of MMORPGs into Japan. It's a headache, since the problems on MMORPGs are nearly identical, yet different from the problems faced by Singaporean gamers, or Japanese gamers in Japan.

The difference: money. The students here have money, which the local and Japanese-in-Japan gamers don't have. But that makes it more difficult to control the problem...
Noctis Lucis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-07, 13:11   Link #2044
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctis Lucis View Post
Firstly, my take on FF13.
After FF7, which is the landmark FF game till now, I thought that all the games had a good base, but characterisation was screwed up. (THANKS NOMURA).

FF9: Not to my taste; the screenshots with random sayings like Love; ... you know those, made it worse.

So yes, FF13 is placing FF back where it should be, and I have no doubt that FFvs13 is going to do equally well.
I thought nice, another user impression of FF13. Then I see your tastes...I feel like your opinion is worthless to me.

Elaborate on the gameplay though. FF gameplay ranges from terribad to surprisingly awesome.
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-07, 18:10   Link #2045
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Read a news .

FF13 => now 20 dollars in japan lol? really ?

Damn , if i would have learnt japanese , i would have bought it .
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-07, 19:11   Link #2046
relentlessflame
Administrator
*AnimeSuki Site Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
Read a news .

FF13 => now 20 dollars in japan lol? really ?

Damn , if i would have learnt japanese , i would have bought it .
It was a limited special sale this weekend only at a certain online shop (only one copy per person), and they're already sold out. Around here, I guess we'd call that a "Door Crasher Special".
Old 2010-02-07, 19:18   Link #2047
Xion Valkyrie

Hmm, PSM gave FFXIII a 70/100. Would like to actually read the review though.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-07, 19:41   Link #2048
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
It was a limited special sale this weekend only at a certain online shop (only one copy per person), and they're already sold out. Around here, I guess we'd call that a "Door Crasher Special".
Ow ok . Cuz 20 dollars instead of 100 dollars , it's a big deal
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-07, 20:18   Link #2049
ingandeul
What is Apple?

I must have to say that this game was far better than the negative things I've been hearing about it. For instance, the linearity was not all that noticeable when I played the game. It was only after playing did I think about the replay value while continuing the same save before the final boss. FFX was like this though it allowed for some freedom towards the end of the game. I also felt that the characters themselves were nicely done despite the apparent flaws of character development. The key highlight points, to which I extremely enjoyed, were the battle system, the "Sphere Grid" + 1/2 "License Board" = Crystallium, and of course, the amazing soundtrack. The visuals were indeed stunning as well and sometimes I would just stop and just take in the backgrounds. I just felt that I needed to share this as my friends are all waiting for the US release and I have no one to discuss it with. Haha

P.S I have a huge favor to ask for anyone who got the Collector's Edition of the FFXIII OST. I would like a desktop and iphone wallpaper of the two two-page spreads towards the end of the art book, the ones with the entire gang. I would be very much thankful if someone can do this. I thank you ahead of time!

Disappointed in SQE.
ingandeul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-08, 02:53   Link #2050
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Send a message via Skype™ to Duo Maxwell
Quote:

I always thought I will be able to enjoy FFXIII, and now I'm seriously having doubt.
Old 2010-02-08, 03:49   Link #2051
Iron Maw
~Undying Loyality~

Subscribers to GameInformer reported that it got a 9.25 in the magazine.
Iron Maw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-08, 06:14   Link #2052
Von Himmel
やっはろーヽ(*´∀`)ノ

So much bashing around these days...I had gone to gamefaqs a couple of minutes ago, and it's so disgusting that I don't want to be around there for a while >_>;

Well, I guess people opinion really do differs a lot

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-08, 07:43   Link #2053
Noctis Lucis
It's how you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2H-Dragon View Post
I thought nice, another user impression of FF13. Then I see your tastes...I feel like your opinion is worthless to me.

Elaborate on the gameplay though. FF gameplay ranges from terribad to surprisingly awesome.
I'm only refering to characterisation here... I'm not too picky on gameplay. All FF games had good gameplay, IMO. Except FF9, which I really didn't get for some reason. People hailed it as a return to FF roots. Each to his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
I always thought I will be able to enjoy FFXIII, and now I'm seriously having doubt.
Well, I said that it was good.
Noctis Lucis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-08, 11:58   Link #2054
Sassarai
Army of One

Quote:

Sigh, FF7 should of never been made
Sassarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-08, 12:49   Link #2055
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
I think it would be interesting to start a vote to see whether people like the more or less dynamic battlesystems more (aKa FF12/13 vs. rest).
I think most would say the more traditional JRPG-battlesystems are best, whereas I still think FF12 had the best battlesystem out of all rpgs I've played.
Old 2010-02-08, 16:20   Link #2056
Xellos-_^
Married

is the NA ver going to have the Jap audio track in it or it is still just eng dub?
Old 2010-02-08, 17:33   Link #2057
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
is the NA ver going to have the Jap audio track in it or it is still just eng dub?
I don't remember hearing anything official on the matter, though i do keep hearing a lot of people saying that the NA version will have dual audio. So yeah, would be nice if someone could clear this up for us.
Old 2010-02-08, 17:49   Link #2058
ShinGundam

An Interview With Final Fantasy XIII’s Kitase And Toriyama

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2010/...-and-toriyama/

Some interesting parts :
Quote:
What made you decide to make Final Fantasy XIII a series, rather than a standalone title?

If you look back at the Final Fantasy series, at VII for example, this later let to Advent Children and Crisis Core. Also, for FFX, we created FFX-2 after its release. In those cases we obviously released the original title first and then created the sequel. This time we wanted to create several games in the same project from the outset.
Quote:
How do you feel about Yoichi Wada’s statement that Final Fantasy XIII will be the last game of its kind for Square Enix?

We don’t know exactly what he meant by that. We don’t really know what he meant by this style of game. If you consider that during Final Fantasy XIII’s development, at peak time the team consisted of over 300 people. It was a huge team, plus it took a several long years to get the game finished. So, if Mr Wada meant that we would never make another Final Fantasy title with the similar number of people, taking as long as FFXIII did, we would agree.

Obviously in the future we want to be much more efficient. Having worked on XIII, we feel that we have got much better at making good games for high definition consoles. In the future our teams will be smaller and more effectively run. We suspect that is what Mr Wada meant by his statement.
Quote:
Is there a specific reason why Japanese voices were left out of the game?

For the European version, the facial expressions and lip syncronisation are all lined up with the English lines, so the Japanese voices would not match up right. That was the main worry.
Quote:
People are aware that there is a lot of content that has been cut from the game. Do you have any plans to use this content in the future?

You say “content” but, in reality, it’s more like “ideas”. Maybe a map was a little bit too complex and we felt like the player would get completely lost, so we simplified, or whatever. So this content won’t be coming out separately, as it has been binned.
ShinGundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-08, 17:49   Link #2059
kyosak
poo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
No Japanese voices. Just the English dub.

This is the main reason I opted for the JP version actually. -_-
kyosak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-08, 19:58   Link #2060
problemedchild
ô_ô

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyosak View Post
No Japanese voices. Just the English dub.

This is the main reason I opted for the JP version actually. -_-
It is SE after all. I can't recall the last time any of their releases had the Japanese Audio Track.
problemedchild is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
final fantasy, jrpg, ps3, rpg, square-enix, xbox 360