AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2010-02-09, 01:37   Link #2061
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

^
They actually have done it.... for The Last Remant PC and Star Ocean 4 international that comes out later today.

Do note though that in both cases, they are rereleases, and both are niche games that didn't sell all too well.

And FF13 having the 'Final Fantasy' brand name, I highly doubt they will ever rerelease it in NA (see past International versions of FF not making here), the name Final Fantasy is pretty much mainstream, and I can bet you dollars to donuts that it will sell tenfold than what those two games did.

So yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath for dual audio for anything named Final Fantasy... or Dragon Quest for that matter.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-09, 03:04   Link #2062
problemedchild
_

Oh right, I had forgotten about SO:4, tried to erase that game from my memory. I didn't realize that Last Remant's PC release had dual audio, figured it would share the same audio tracks as the Xbox release.
problemedchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-09, 03:28   Link #2063
kyosak
poo

I think problem is space on the Bluray disk more than anything else.

I forget where I read this but the CG movies apparently take up way more space than the actual game content, and they are squeezing every bit of data onto that disk. It's unfortunate, but I can't see how they would fit redone English language CG movies into this game. Games like SO4 and TLR probably take up a lot less space, allowing for features like dual audio.

Games in the FF series aren't exactly known for skimping on the CG movies!

BTW, going off topic here but did anyone order their copy of FF13 from YesAsia.com? My order's been stuck at "Ready to ship" status for the last few days now... Are they always this slow? -_-
kyosak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-09, 05:44   Link #2064
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
^
They actually have done it.... for TSo yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath for dual audio for anything named Final Fantasy... or Dragon Quest for that matter.
Dragon Quest didn't have voice acting at all to begin with. In fact, the very first voice-acted DQ game was actually the Western version of the DQ VIII, in ENGLISH. DQ being such an old fashioned game intentionally, that Japan wasn't willing to use voice acting even when it was possible.
Old 2010-02-09, 10:34   Link #2065
Xellos-_^
Married

Quote:
^
They actually have done it.... for The Last Remant PC and Star Ocean 4 international that comes out later today.

Do note though that in both cases, they are rereleases, and both are niche games that didn't sell all too well.

And FF13 having the 'Final Fantasy' brand name, I highly doubt they will ever rerelease it in NA (see past International versions of FF not making here), the name Final Fantasy is pretty much mainstream, and I can bet you dollars to donuts that it will sell tenfold than what those two games did.

So yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath for dual audio for anything named Final Fantasy... or Dragon Quest for that matter.
.hack also had dual audio but then again they seperate it out inot 4 different games/disk
Old 2010-02-09, 10:40   Link #2066
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Yeah, Bandai has numerous times sold dual audio games. NISAmerica though is at the top, with Atlus being a close second for their frequency of dual audio games.

Square Enix though? Very rarely, and only then if they're trying to make a game sell more because the game is not mainstream.

And DQ8 JP version did not have audio at all? Wow, you learn something new every day.

Old 2010-02-09, 10:54   Link #2067
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
And DQ8 JP version did not have audio at all? Wow, you learn something new every day.
Yep, the JP DQ8 used beeping noises to represent speech, the same sounds used since the very first DQ. DQ as a franchise is extremely old fashioned, and will stay that way now that FF is specialized in innovation/experimental formats.
Old 2010-02-09, 13:29   Link #2068
Xellos-_^
Married

anyone got a list of dual audio rpgs?
Old 2010-02-09, 13:55   Link #2069
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Hello all,
I own a xbox360, and I've never played any of the old Final Fantasy games in the series, though I do know the premise of 7 since everyone loved it so much. (I did like advent children though ).

Since this game will be the first for the 360, and since it's already out in Japan, I was wondering if anybody knew how "good" this game was, and how good it would be for someone who has never played this type of game before (i am a big FPS fan though, but again, I play FPS competitively for the most part, i don't really touch campaign at all)...so I was wondering how I would enjoy this game, and if it'd be worth picking up at all.

Trailer story sounds rather cliche...so I'm really not sure how this game will be, and if i want this game to be the first that introduces me to this genre/type of game.

Thanks, any advice?
miroku2192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-10, 07:40   Link #2070
dramatis
Machiavellian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
The 2 ways how the story can be rubbish: Can't read Japanese. Too deep to understand. Complex story and characters is the best part of this FF. Complexity like this is one of the reasons why media has to be dumbed down for audience.
I've been reading old posts out of boredom but when I skimmed this I had to stop and read again. Please don't make this argument again. It's absolute rubbish to say "too deep to understand". Accusation of not understanding Japanese on one hand, and accusation of a dumb audience on the other. Placing yourself on some kind of higher pedestal as a human of superior understanding and intellect. Obviously us normal people can't begin understand how DEEP the FF13 story is, right?

What a joke.

Quote:
I guess lots of movies = bad because this critic is a 'gamer', who cares nothing about story and graphics.
First and foremost, Final Fantasy is a game series, not a movie or anime series. Graphics are what caused the problems of gameplay design to begin with. Your thinking is the one misaligned here. If they hope for sales to go up, they must appeal to people who want to play games, because you can pay less to go watch a better movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashramaru View Post
Ok, well here the low down on FFXIII. If you like anime you will like the story, however if you do not, you are American and you are close minded you will hate Final Fantasy 13's story. To be honest the story has been very cool and definitely something I myself like being an anime fan, however for many of you Star Wars Story Fans, this game will not be too appealing to you. The graphics are nice, but people bitch that they are not as great as they thought, that is simply because those idiots mistook Cutscenes with In-Game Graphics. Also most of the elements that made Final Fantasy an RPG are stripped. Dungeons are a bit more linear, customization is entirely up to your Paradigm Shift and Skill Grid chooses, Traditional Levels are absent, combat is a cross between FFX and FFX-2, combat is fast paced, the Summons are not very useful, and items are only needed for combat. Aside from that the game is very enjoyable, think of it as an anime, I swear if you do you will like it, take away your notions of other FF's before you play this game. It is completely different than any Final Fantasy or any RPG for that matter.
I am American, and I have not watched anything Star Wars. But not liking the story and having grown out of anime makes me close-minded, huh?

I agree with you: if you like anime then you'll like FF13. If you don't like anime, however, you can also like FF13. You will have to treat it as a comedy though, because despite all the raving about great character development, character interaction, etc., the actual story and plot are pretty generic, and the execution blew up in the middle.
  • Yu-gi-oh (Friendship beats everything!)
  • + Gundam SEED DESTINY (Let's pretend the main character is someone else for the first half of the story, and pull a grand switch at the end)
  • + Gundam SEED DESTINY (All the enemies die. Everyone on the ally side survives. Flawless victory.)
  • + Gundam SEED DESTINY (Damn, the government does nothing but evil, but we're going to put in two really insignificant sympathetic characters and pretend we balanced out the portrayal.)
  • + Evangelion (The more references to DEEP shit we put into it, the deeper the story really is.)

= FF13.

MakubeX2 is right. If you go into it without expecting anything, you will get a better experience. I thought it was going to be a game that defined JRPGs for the generation. Now I hope it will never be emulated, because this kind of formula is wrong for games. You don't make the movie first; you build the game first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miroku2192 View Post
Hello all,
I own a xbox360, and I've never played any of the old Final Fantasy games in the series, though I do know the premise of 7 since everyone loved it so much. (I did like advent children though ).

Since this game will be the first for the 360, and since it's already out in Japan, I was wondering if anybody knew how "good" this game was, and how good it would be for someone who has never played this type of game before (i am a big FPS fan though, but again, I play FPS competitively for the most part, i don't really touch campaign at all)...so I was wondering how I would enjoy this game, and if it'd be worth picking up at all.

Trailer story sounds rather cliche...so I'm really not sure how this game will be, and if i want this game to be the first that introduces me to this genre/type of game.

Thanks, any advice?
If you are an FPS fan, and looking for an RPG to play, even though I haven't played it I would suggest Mass Effect. There's no harm in jumping straight to the sequel, I think. To say "don't buy FF13" may be a little heavy-handed, but I don't think you'll be into something like 13 if you think the trailers are bad. Because the trailers are already a marketing lie, and the actual story is even more melodramatic and silly. The main character is also not the woman you see on the cover. That is a lie too.
Old 2010-02-10, 10:34   Link #2071
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

^What? lol, then who is the main character? Why would you not have the MC on the damn cover, frigging lying scheming bas*ards!

btw, mass effect looked boring as hell, so i never picked it up... I did temporarily enjoy assassin's creed and grand theft auto though...only for like a day or two.

edit:
The only other reason i might want to try the final fantasy series is that the graphics look so mmm... smexy... om nom nom.

But, i am a bit lost here, who is the main character? And is the plot actually even worst than what the trailer makes it out to be >.>? I thought FF series were supposed to have good plots, at least that's what i got from ppl talking bout FF7 and all that
Old 2010-02-10, 11:20   Link #2072
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Send a message via Skype™ to Duo Maxwell
Quote:
But, i am a bit lost here, who is the main character? And is the plot actually even worst than what the trailer makes it out to be >.>? I thought FF series were supposed to have good plots, at least that's what i got from ppl talking bout FF7 and all that
Play it yourself, don't hear what others talked. There are people who enjoy FF7's story, and just hate FF8, while I'm the opposite case, so you just have to play the game yourself, and decide it's good or bad.
Old 2010-02-10, 12:40   Link #2073
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramatis View Post
I've been reading old posts out of boredom but when I skimmed this I had to stop and read again. Please don't make this argument again. It's absolute rubbish to say "too deep to understand". Accusation of not understanding Japanese on one hand, and accusation of a dumb audience on the other. Placing yourself on some kind of higher pedestal as a human of superior understanding and intellect. Obviously us normal people can't begin understand how DEEP the FF13 story is, right?

What a joke.

First and foremost, Final Fantasy is a game series, not a movie or anime series. Graphics are what caused the problems of gameplay design to begin with. Your thinking is the one misaligned here. If they hope for sales to go up, they must appeal to people who want to play games, because you can pay less to go watch a better movie.

I am American, and I have not watched anything Star Wars. But not liking the story and having grown out of anime makes me close-minded, huh?

I agree with you: if you like anime then you'll like FF13. If you don't like anime, however, you can also like FF13. You will have to treat it as a comedy though, because despite all the raving about great character development, character interaction, etc., the actual story and plot are pretty generic, and the execution blew up in the middle.
  • Yu-gi-oh (Friendship beats everything!)
  • + Gundam SEED DESTINY (Let's pretend the main character is someone else for the first half of the story, and pull a grand switch at the end)
  • + Gundam SEED DESTINY (All the enemies die. Everyone on the ally side survives. Flawless victory.)
  • + Gundam SEED DESTINY (Damn, the government does nothing but evil, but we're going to put in two really insignificant sympathetic characters and pretend we balanced out the portrayal.)
  • + Evangelion (The more references to DEEP shit we put into it, the deeper the story really is.)

= FF13.

MakubeX2 is right. If you go into it without expecting anything, you will get a better experience. I thought it was going to be a game that defined JRPGs for the generation. Now I hope it will never be emulated, because this kind of formula is wrong for games. You don't make the movie first; you build the game first.

If you are an FPS fan, and looking for an RPG to play, even though I haven't played it I would suggest Mass Effect. There's no harm in jumping straight to the sequel, I think. To say "don't buy FF13" may be a little heavy-handed, but I don't think you'll be into something like 13 if you think the trailers are bad. Because the trailers are already a marketing lie, and the actual story is even more melodramatic and silly. The main character is also not the woman you see on the cover. That is a lie too.
As someone playing through Last Remnant right now (dled it for PC), I think the biggest mistake someone making an RPG could make is this:

Letting the actual playing of the game get in the way of the experience of the game itself.

Frankly, I think Last Remnant is pretty fun. Lots of sidequests to do, loads and loads of characters, but...

Too many damn random battles = too many damn loading screens!

(Dual core 2.1 Ghz processor, Nvidia GT 240M video card)

Which of course puts more time between uber cutscenes featuring the badass that is the Conqueror.

As for everyone on the SEED Destiny bash brigade, I happened to very much like GSD.

But yeah, IMO, Final Fantasies and SE JRPGs are more anime than they are game. IMO, trying to put in more menus (aka battles aka gameplay) ruins the game. To me, levels and skills and random battles are all an abstraction to make you go from point A to point B to point C and so on, instead of jumping from the beginning to the end.

I believe FFX-2, of all games, did it correctly. You were able to explore the whole world from moment 1 (not that you didn't see it already but...), and the enemies simply got tougher with you, such that you could simply go to the plot points without all of the random encounter BS.

In fact, FFX was my favorite FF so far, because you could barely move a muscle before getting another breathtaking cutscene.

I mean as I've stated before...if you want gameplay, why the heck are you playing a game in which the gameplay is a bunch of menus?
Old 2010-02-10, 13:34   Link #2074
Syntron
Shiny Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86 View Post
I mean as I've stated before...if you want gameplay, why the heck are you playing a game in which the gameplay is a bunch of menus?
I thought the main point of these menus was to configurate your party, equipment, spells and skills in a way that beats whatever the next encounter may throw at you, rewardung you with the next cutscene... Or dieing in the most humiliating way, showing you that you may actually take a closer look at all these menus.
Syntron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-10, 13:50   Link #2075
Demongod86

I don't just mean the out of battle menus. I mean the in-battle "select action" menus!
Old 2010-02-10, 15:56   Link #2076
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntron View Post
I thought the main point of these menus was to configurate your party, equipment, spells and skills in a way that beats whatever the next encounter may throw at you, rewardung you with the next cutscene... Or dieing in the most humiliating way, showing you that you may actually take a closer look at all these menus.
Yeah, Syntron got it right on the money here, where a lot of the gameplay of RPGs is behind the preparation for your party, meaning a lot of the gamplay is actually OUTSIDE of battle. The Last Remnant, out of any game should have taught the player this, considering it focuses much more on this aspect than most other RPGs else it WILL hand your ass back to you. One thing different though from the above quote is that sometimes you don't do all these just to get to the next cutscene, but just for the achievement of being triumphant over something difficult, kinda like Demon's Souls and Last Remnant.

And I sure hope you've been doing some serious preparation Demongod. Fallen is guaranteed to kick an unprepared party's behind if you decide to do that sidequest, and lets not get into the optional battles like the White/Aboslute conqueror, the Enlightened Seven, or heaven forbid, the Lost.

Final hint... try to avoid raising Battle Rank too much until you get your final team that you really want. Which means of course actually AVOIDING random battles as much as possible. And that's one of the big reasons why I loved TLR; it lets you skip the random battles at virtually no loss to you, still have the bosses beatable, and rewards those who continually seek to fight the hard battles.

As for loading, methinks its your system, as its just a tad over the requirements. I personally only have a two year old q6600 2.66 ghz and an 8800 gt, but load times are virtually non-existant.

Old 2010-02-10, 16:05   Link #2077
Demongod86

Well, uh, um, err...

I didn't know better so I had Caedmon go mystic arts once or twice, so now trying to correct that. Also had Torgal going balance. Find out later that all combat all the time was the best way to go with them so they could get uber uber uber damage later.

But I'm at BR 72. On the Marshall Tablet quest I was running around in the excavation zone and

"OOH! RANDOM DRAGON! JUST SITTING THERE! FREE FRAG!"

Goko.

Wildfire V + Grenade Impact V = OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG. My unions were literally getting blown across the room. Jesus Christ. Barely beat him.

With one union left.

He made me burn through all my consumables and I ran out of revives .

What a waste .

Getting the rare monsters to spawn is such a pain in the @ss though...it seems the only guarantee is on sidequests that I completed but avoided them (Bai Ze, Prometheus) because they utterly wrecked me before.

But yeah, TLR is a prime GUIDE DANG IT game.

(AND HOW!)

On the other hand, FFX was not.
Old 2010-02-10, 16:18   Link #2078
Leo Keichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86 View Post
But yeah, IMO, Final Fantasies and SE JRPGs are more anime than they are game. IMO, trying to put in more menus (aka battles aka gameplay) ruins the game. To me, levels and skills and random battles are all an abstraction to make you go from point A to point B to point C and so on, instead of jumping from the beginning to the end.

That's why my favourite Final Fantasy was FFXII. My problem is that I play RPGs more for the story than because of the battles, so, having to face all the random battles, full of menus can be a chore. But it was a pity I didn't like FFXII's characters all that much.

From what I'm seeing, FF 13 should be the best one so far. It has the best graphics, and nice characters (probably). I'll go and read a bit more about the battle system. If it's good enough, I think I'm buying it, when the English version comes out. OTOH, maybe not, because I'm getting tired of so many Final Fantasies.
Leo Keichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-10, 19:00   Link #2079
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Not sure if the question was raised earlier, but is there an option for japanese audio with english subtitles?
Old 2010-02-10, 19:31   Link #2080
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Send a message via Skype™ to Duo Maxwell
Quote:
Not sure if the question was raised earlier, but is there an option for japanese audio with english subtitles?
Has been answered, and that is "most certainly not".

Tags
final fantasy, jrpg, ps3, rpg, square-enix, xbox 360