AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-02-10, 22:41   Link #2081
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
Has been answered, and that is "most certainly not".
Nah... i think its already safe this game 99.9999% will not have that feature.
Well i don't care though, i'm not a english dubs phobics and a Yuri Lowenthall fanboy
Old 2010-02-11, 00:24   Link #2082
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
Has been answered, and that is "most certainly not".
ugh, i feel like they should. English dubs always seem to lose the true meaning of certain sentences because they have to match the damn lips of the CG animation. Arghamofo. I never watch english dubbed anime because it always sounds bad too (no offense, it's true though...but with american cartoon like bugs bunny, i can't possibly imagine japanese voices with that lawl).

argh...i want mah japanese voices!

edit:

So why is the english version so far behind the japanese version (in terms of release)? Are there any differences between the 2 versions (aside from obvious audio/text differences)?
miroku2192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-11, 00:44   Link #2083
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by miroku2192 View Post
ugh, i feel like they should. English dubs always seem to lose the true meaning of certain sentences because they have to match the damn lips of the CG animation. Arghamofo. I never watch english dubbed anime because it always sounds bad too (no offense, it's true though...but with american cartoon like bugs bunny, i can't possibly imagine japanese voices with that lawl).

argh...i want mah japanese voices!

edit:

So why is the english version so far behind the japanese version (in terms of release)? Are there any differences between the 2 versions (aside from obvious audio/text differences)?
Well, apparently this time they redid all the lip animations to fit with the english dubs.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-11, 00:53   Link #2084
stpehen
kisses for all

Quote:
So why is the english version so far behind the japanese version (in terms of release)?
I'm guessing you have never in your life paid attention to the amount of time that it takes a Japanese game to be released in English if you think a measly three-month gap is long.
stpehen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-11, 01:42   Link #2085
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpehen View Post
I'm guessing you have never in your life paid attention to the amount of time that it takes a Japanese game to be released in English if you think a measly three-month gap is long.
Well, I wouldn't be asking if I knew now would I?

I was just hoping they'd keep the japanese audio, and just add english subtitles instead...I want the game as close to the original as possible.

@Xion...Ugh, I wish they'd do what i just said. I'd rather them not waste money/time on that crap, and just give me my damn game with japanese audio and english subtitles damnit!
Old 2010-02-11, 02:23   Link #2086
problemedchild
_

Quote:
@Xion...Ugh, I wish they'd do what i just said. I'd rather them not waste money/time on that crap, and just give me my damn game with japanese audio and english subtitles damnit!
We're in a very small minority. Even in niche games such as Ar tonelico, a good chuck of the player base still prefer dubs over subs.

Ah well, maybe we'll get it some day, but I have doubts. OR! Have it on the PC, it would be a lot easier to mod.
problemedchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-11, 03:24   Link #2087
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:
well since this is a release for US region, they must obey the law for use US dubber blablablabla......

After WKC lipsync "tragedy", i'm kinda understand why SE take this kind of measure... So instead offering japanese dub as optional choice, they rather fix the critics point like a lip animation.
but maybe we can get the dual-voice or something like that if the "International" version or something like that ever released on the future

Last edited by fertygo; 2010-02-11 at 03:39.
fertygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-11, 03:49   Link #2088
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
Well, apparently this time they redid all the lip animations to fit with the english dubs.
No :'(, i still don't care. I have a feeling it'll still sound bad.

On a side note, are you the author of the comics in that sig of yours? Pretty good stuff, can certainly relate to some of the stuff at the beginning (haven't flipped through all of it yet) so it was a fun read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemedchild View Post
We're in a very small minority. Even in niche games such as Ar tonelico, a good chuck of the player base still prefer dubs over subs.

Ah well, maybe we'll get it some day, but I have doubts. OR! Have it on the PC, it would be a lot easier to mod.
That's a shame...and too bad I can't buy it for the PC because I would, but my PC is too weak...I'm trying out the game for the graphics to begin with, I have a 360, so this'll be my first FF game of the franchise (so excited, hopefully it'll be good :X -> too bad i'll have to wait until like summer to try the game out, got mad stuff planned for the next few months [vacation, work etc.])

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
well since this is a release for US region, they must obey the law for use US dubber blablablabla......

After WKC lipsync "tragedy", i'm kinda understand why SE take this kind of measure... So instead offering japanese dub as optional choice, they rather fix the critics point like a lip animation.
but maybe we can get the dual-voice or something like that if the "International" version or something like that ever released on the future
Well that sucks. How come I do remember some games with japanese voices though (meh).

Man they really do need the dual-voice, that would be so awesome. Right now, i think that's one of the big things holding me back from getting this game for sure...I've never really been a big fan of english dubs on anime faces, they just never seem "right" to me for some reason. I don't know what it is, but it just sounds silly and forced.
Old 2010-02-11, 03:54   Link #2089
problemedchild
_

Quote:

Man they really do need the dual-voice, that would be so awesome. Right now, i think that's one of the big things holding me back from getting this game for sure...I've never really been a big fan of english dubs on anime faces, they just never seem "right" to me for some reason. I don't know what it is, but it just sounds silly and forced.
Give the English voices a shot, ToV's dub was done fairly well.

As it's not SO:4 level dubbing, I think I'll be content.
problemedchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-11, 03:54   Link #2090
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

But face on FF XIII sure far than what you called "anime face"
so i think english dub will not leaving weird feeling like if you play Ar Tonelico series with english dub
Old 2010-02-11, 04:40   Link #2091
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
But face on FF XIII sure far than what you called "anime face"
so i think english dub will not leaving weird feeling like if you play Ar Tonelico series with english dub
Yeah but I doubt it. I mean i'll give it a go obviously, but if i were to listen to both, I'm sure i'd enjoy the japanese one more. Maybe the english dub will grow on me, and perhaps i will come to enjoy/love it, for this game at least. Hopefully that is the case.

But i mean, i can't really imagine a good english dub for FF7 Advent children. How were the english dubs for that?
Old 2010-02-11, 18:24   Link #2092
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Well just finished last remnant...frankly I hope FFXIII doesn't let the gameplay get in the way of experiencing the game as much as TLR did, because TLR was pretty spectacular otherwise (aside from the fact that all of those sidequests the dev team spent programming can just go missed without a second thought).

And honestly...can someone please tell me the whole idea behind bonus bosses? I mean if there are these critters so freakishly powerful that they make the final storyline boss look like a pancake in comparison, then how come everyone hears about the final boss but not these uber godlike critters terrorizing the locals?
Old 2010-02-11, 18:38   Link #2093
Xellos-_^
Valentine's Day with Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86 View Post
Well just finished last remnant...frankly I hope FFXIII doesn't let the gameplay get in the way of experiencing the game as much as TLR did, because TLR was pretty spectacular otherwise (aside from the fact that all of those sidequests the dev team spent programming can just go missed without a second thought).

And honestly...can someone please tell me the whole idea behind bonus bosses? I mean if there are these critters so freakishly powerful that they make the final storyline boss look like a pancake in comparison, then how come everyone hears about the final boss but not these uber godlike critters terrorizing the locals?
because there are players who prefer a hard game instead of a cakewalk. The Bonus Boss allow the developer to give the hardcore gamers a real challenge. A challenge they can't put in the main storyline or else the casual gamer would claim it is too hard.
Old 2010-02-11, 21:48   Link #2094
Demongod86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
because there are players who prefer a hard game instead of a cakewalk. The Bonus Boss allow the developer to give the hardcore gamers a real challenge. A challenge they can't put in the main storyline or else the casual gamer would claim it is too hard.
Except in an RPG, there is really no such thing as "too hard" so much as "too much grinding an abstract system" involved.

The problem with bonus bosses is that they are part of the storyline. They're not some "You beat the game. Here's a bonus character to duel" or something like that. They are usually somehow tangentially related such as "oh noes! Such and such a <<bonus boss>> is going around pwning <<such and such an area>>! Go stop it!"

And when you can't, you usually feel crummy.

My whole issue with gameplay in Japanese RPGs period is that IMO leveling up is an abstraction. It's not like real life is defined by "you completed a homework assignment! Int +1!". The whole battle system and random encounters are generally there to give gamers something to do, which makes next to no sense from a storyline perspective.

For instance, say you go up against a dragon. It uses "super hot breath of massive third degree burns" and instagibs one of your party members. Now suddenly a revive spell is going to undo all those massive third degree burns?

I like playing JRPGs for the story experience. They're literally visual + audio novels for me, because they're the only types of video games with a story worth experiencing rather than "Bad guys took over the <<location>>! Kill them all!"

But then there's the whole issue of "LULZ RANDOM ENCOUNTERS" which is such a case of gameplay and story segregation it's ridiculous.

Random encounters for me in JRPGs are sort of what minerals and vespene gas are for starcraft. I mean what the heck...how do you suddenly put up a fully functioning barracks in one minute and then have it produce marines that weren't there before? (At least protoss warp and zerg hatch...but Terrans?)

IMO the most innovative battle system for a JRPG would be one that doesn't require segregation from the plot.
Old 2010-02-11, 22:20   Link #2095
Xellos-_^

Quote:
IMO the most innovative battle system for a JRPG would be one that doesn't require segregation from the plot.
basically what you want is a visual novel not a game.
Old 2010-02-11, 22:40   Link #2096
Demongod86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
basically what you want is a visual novel not a game.
Except visual novels are defined by set pictures, not by full on cutscenes. What I more or less want is a 60 hour movie.
Old 2010-02-11, 23:38   Link #2097
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

Quote:
Except visual novels are defined by set pictures, not by full on cutscenes. What I more or less want is a 60 hour movie.
they tried that once, it was called Xenosaga 1 but yeah, i love immersion, and its one of the key things i look for in games, but when its a straight up movie, i don't think i'd like it very much. a game like Heavy Rain might be for you then..

anywho, i LOVED FFX, this one's for me then right? it comes out my spring break..

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-12, 01:37   Link #2098
Xellos-_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
they tried that once, it was called Xenosaga 1 but yeah, i love immersion, and its one of the key things i look for in games, but when its a straight up movie, i don't think i'd like it very much. a game like Heavy Rain might be for you then..

anywho, i LOVED FFX, this one's for me then right? it comes out my spring break..
i always wonder why the bother making a Xenosaga anime when they coul dhave just use the cut scenes form the game i did enjoy when koz-mos first awoke and her fight scenes with 2 vulcan guns
Old 2010-02-12, 02:47   Link #2099
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonGod
Except in an RPG, there is really no such thing as "too hard" so much as "too much grinding an abstract system" involved.
Nah. The more hardcore RPGs will still kill you if your strategy is not sound, no matter how much you 'grind an abstract system'.

Quote:
The problem with bonus bosses is that they are part of the storyline. They're not some "You beat the game. Here's a bonus character to duel" or something like that.
Umm... most bonus bosses are NOT part of the storyline at all. Most of the time, they're usually 'just there' with no reference from the game.

Quote:
They are usually somehow tangentially related such as "oh noes! Such and such a <<bonus boss>> is going around pwning <<such and such an area>>! Go stop it!"
But that's not part of the storyline. It's just some sidequest that has no bearing to the overall plot.

Taking recent SE games for example, in The Last Remnant/FF12 the optional bosses are just there simply as guild quests; no backstory at all. SO4/Infinite Undiscovery optional bosses are set in an optional dungeon that's not mentioned at all by the story proper.

Quote:
And when you can't, you usually feel crummy.
Only casual players do, and that's the reason why the final story boss usually ain't the toughest fight you'll face.

Hardcore players take every defeat as something to spurn them to try again to actually defeat such a boss. It's those people what the bonus bosses are for.

Quote:
My whole issue with gameplay in Japanese RPGs period is that IMO leveling up is an abstraction. It's not like real life is defined by "you completed a homework assignment! Int +1!".
You do know that not only jRPGs, but RPGs in general started with the abstraction with D&D. Even the concept of hitpoints is an abstraction, fro example.

Complaining about abstraction in an RPG would be like complaining about kissing in romance movie. It is what defines the genre; without it, it wouldn't be worthy to be called of belonging in that genre.

Quote:
For instance, say you go up against a dragon. It uses "super hot breath of massive third degree burns" and instagibs one of your party members. Now suddenly a revive spell is going to undo all those massive third degree burns?
Suspension of disbelief. If you can do it into thinking that a giant lizard as tall as a skycraper can actually fly and breath fire that can cause third degree burns to others without burning his own mouth, doing the same into thinking theres a magical spell that can revive people from the dead should be even easier.

Quote:
I like playing JRPGs for the story experience. They're literally visual + audio novels for me, because they're the only types of video games with a story worth experiencing rather than "Bad guys took over the <<location>>! Kill them all!"
*snicker*

Oh boy, you play JRPGS for the story experience? You're just trading "Bad guys took over the <<location>>! Kill them all!" into "Hero (and maybe his friends) come into his own and then tries to save the world from the evil mastemind".

Quote:
Been done already. It's called Demon's Souls. XD

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-12, 02:56   Link #2100
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Suspension of disbelief. If you can do it into thinking that a giant lizard as tall as a skycraper can actually fly and breath fire that can cause third degree burns to others without burning his own mouth, doing the same into thinking theres a magical spell that can revive people from the dead should be even easier.
What I don't get is how he can play any videogame and not understand this.

Quote:
Oh boy, you play JRPGS for the story experience? You're just trading "Bad guys took over the <<location>>! Kill them all!" into "Hero (and maybe his friends) come into his own and then tries to save the world from the evil mastemind".
To be fair, JRPGs do generally have more involved, if not better plots than most other videogame genres out there.

I, for one, also play these games for the story/characters (and that is why I'll be playing FFXIII) but judging by the oft-heard complaints of "linearity" and "too many cutscenes", it does seem like not many people do.

Quote:
Been done already. It's called Demon's Souls. XD
Demon's Souls isn't a JRPG, it's a WRPG made by a Japanese developer. It's like the exact opposite of Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled.

Tags
final fantasy, jrpg, ps3, rpg, square-enix, xbox 360