AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2007-11-26, 13:37   Link #221
HurricaneHige
Uguu~

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
I liked FFXII. But I accept that I'm part of a minority.

But who am I kidding? Despite being a "terrible" game, FFXII remains within the top 10 FAQ pages on GamesFAQ, more than a year after its release. I guess most people are too busy playing the game to whine and moan about how awful it is.
So by ur logic WoW is an incredible game then? despite being unoriginal, lackluster graphics, there are 9.3million people that plays it, it MUST be good!

Judging a game based on how many peeps plays it or how high it ranks on a FAQ page is essentially the same, it tells nothing about the game itself aside from its well advertised so a lot of peeps plays it, doesn't mean its any good.

I can proudly say i'm one of the bigger FF fans but i was throughly disappointed with FF12. Sure the CG presentations are freaking awesome despite being rendered on a PS2, but the story is long and boring, the characters are dull, the gambit system is essentially a bot program. Personally i'm a big fan of the FF turn-based combat, so i may be biased towards the new system. But even though they took it out of the game i still would've liked the system if it wasnt for the depth of the gambit system- everything can be pre-set, making the actual combat completely automatic, barring any successive lucky attacks from bosses u can basically pre-set ur gambits and go watch a movie.

I do believe FF7 is overhyped and overrated, but still it WAS a good game, the story was deep, the characters were mostly well-developed and some bosses were actually challenging. FF8 was disliked due to a more romance based story + draw system, but i think its still 10 times better than FF12.

It remains to be seen if both FF13s will be any good, the graphics and CG certainly look incredible, lets see how they fare in story/battle system - you know, the stuff that actually makes an RPG good. I have high hopes for both games since i'm still a SE fanboi, and i hope the disaster we called FF12 will never happen again.
Old 2007-11-26, 23:12   Link #222
TinyRedLeaf
. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHige
So by ur logic WoW is an incredible game then? despite being unoriginal, lackluster graphics, there are 9.3million people that plays it, it MUST be good!
Not to me, but 9.3 million people certainly feel that it's the best thing since sliced bread.

As with all things, there is always this annoying little concept called "subjective opinion".

Quote:
I can proudly say i'm one of the bigger FF fans but i was throughly disappointed with FF12. Sure the CG presentations are freaking awesome despite being rendered on a PS2, but the story is long and boring, the characters are dull, the gambit system is essentially a bot program.
A great deal of FFXII's "story" is embedded in its environment. The game is inspired by MMORPG design in more ways than just the gameplay. Different players will get different levels of enjoyment out of it, most certainly. I noticed the details and pieced together the story, based on my own interpretations. I loved the way Ivalice made "sense" as a fictional world. And the characters had their nuances that are easy to miss, and they were definitely not "dull" to me.

Quote:
It remains to be seen if both FF13s will be any good, the graphics and CG certainly look incredible, lets see how they fare in story/battle system - you know, the stuff that actually makes an RPG good. I have high hopes for both games since i'm still a SE fanboi, and i hope the disaster we called FF12 will never happen again.
Back on topic. I'm not particularly looking forward to FFXIII. I'm suffering from video gaming ennui, methinks. Many games just don't hold my attention long enough to even buy them, let alone complete them anymore.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-27, 07:29   Link #223
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Back on topic. I'm not particularly looking forward to FFXIII. I'm suffering from video gaming ennui, methinks. Many games just don't hold my attention long enough to even buy them, let alone complete them anymore.
It has a name? I pretty much have the same thing. Though I would probably play it if I had a system that was capable of playing it. Can't we go back to the times where PC got ports. >_< I don't even need a good one. >_> Just something that makes me play the newest FF or MGS on my pc. GTFO with emulators btw. o_O;;;
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-28, 14:26   Link #224
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2H-Dragon View Post
It has a name? I pretty much have the same thing. Though I would probably play it if I had a system that was capable of playing it. Can't we go back to the times where PC got ports. >_< I don't even need a good one. >_> Just something that makes me play the newest FF or MGS on my pc. GTFO with emulators btw. o_O;;;
Although, for the price of a good graphics card, you may as well get a PS3! =P
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-28, 21:42   Link #225
HurricaneHige
Uguu~

Funniest video game story of the year: To fully enjoy Crysis u'll need a video card that cost around the same as 3 PS3s....that game....what made them think they can produce a game that high-end rite now? lol
Old 2007-12-15, 05:52   Link #226
UltimaFX

New Final Fantasy XIII/vs XIII trailers

Final Fantasy XIII:

www.gametrailers.com/pla...vies/146543.html
or if you prefer youtube:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHpxRuafXG8

Final Fantasy vs XIII:

www.gametrailers.com/pla...vies/146554.html
or again, youtube link:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEvvcEUtb_E

Higher quality downloads:

FFXIII Extended:
www.sendspace.com/file/z6cd42

FFvsXIII Extended:
www.sendspace.com/file/fsb54i

Enjoy~!
UltimaFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-15, 10:51   Link #227
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Holy. Fucking. Shit.

A PS3 for these two games alone would be worth it.
Old 2007-12-15, 11:53   Link #228
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

OMG i think im in love with this game might be my fav final fantasy game XD but i want to hear their voices especially Lighting
but i still want a FF7 remake for the PS3 >_<
Old 2007-12-15, 15:16   Link #229
Zoe

I'm loving me some versus.
Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-15, 20:52   Link #230
Archuka
A territory most absolute

Quote:
A great deal of FFXII's "story" is embedded in its environment. The game is inspired by MMORPG design in more ways than just the gameplay. Different players will get different levels of enjoyment out of it, most certainly. I noticed the details and pieced together the story, based on my own interpretations. I loved the way Ivalice made "sense" as a fictional world. And the characters had their nuances that are easy to miss, and they were definitely not "dull" to me.
Personally, I felt the story was decent, though not great, but the problem was that there was so much filler and side questing that the pacing quickly went to hell. You couldn't even force the story to advance faster by skipping everything unnecessary because you'd just get your arse whooped by the bosses. Heck, I did most of the hunts in the game and was still way underleveled at the final boss. One-hit-kills FTW. Luckily it's pretty easy to force victories out of most bosses in the game by spamming resurrection spells.

The gambit system was bad because it automated gameplay, though on the other hand the game had so much combat that it was really a life saver. There was also so much happening in a fight that without it the player would have been forced to keep the game paused most of the time while issuing orders.

Also, the environments suffered from the MMORPG syndrome. Lots of redundancy in the dungeons lead to pretty boring crawls through them. I really don't know why they took so much influence from MMORPGs in the first place. Plus, much of the MMORPG design implemented was outdated MMORPG design ripped directly from games like EQ and pre-expansion FFXI. I mean, we had the pain-in-the-ass-to-spawn rare mobs as well as the pain-in-the-ass-to-obtain rare drops that could potentially force hours upon hours of farming a couple of spawn points.

I didn't really find much to complain about the characters. I thought they were pretty good, though Penelo desperately needed a wardrobe overhaul and Vaan was too much of a baby face pretty boy (but SE loves those so it was expected). I think Penelo's costume in Revenant Wings is far superior to the one in FFXII.

The extended Versus trailer sure looked great. I wonder if the guy with the floating blades is the villain or if he'll be some kind of mysterious guy whose motives are at first shrouded in mystery but become clear towards the end of the game. I'm pretty sure he is not the protagonist or a playable character in general.

I'm still trying to get the FFXIII one, but the free download service is being a bitch.
Archuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-15, 23:58   Link #231
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Wow...both of those trailers are pure beauty incarnate. I've said it before, but Nomura's (teams's) character designs and choreography are flawless.
Old 2007-12-16, 11:40   Link #232
Zoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archuka View Post
The extended Versus trailer sure looked great. I wonder if the guy with the floating blades is the villain or if he'll be some kind of mysterious guy whose motives are at first shrouded in mystery but become clear towards the end of the game. I'm pretty sure he is not the protagonist or a playable character in general.
He is the protagonist. He's the last (?) member of the royal family trying to protect the crystal from the invading countries.
Old 2007-12-16, 13:17   Link #233
akitakumi
Akizz

wow the heroine looks like yuna from X-2... the way she shooting exactly like her man i will definitely ply this game for sure.... the protagonist looks coolx
Old 2007-12-16, 17:54   Link #234
V-Slasher

I hate CG only trailers.

anyway the guy in versus looks like a sort of silver haired cloud, not really an original character...

I prefer "normal" XIII for now.
V-Slasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-17, 11:20   Link #235
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Send a message via Skype™ to Duo Maxwell
The FFXIII trailer has short in-game battle scene, and from my view, it looks almost the same as CG movie.
Old 2007-12-17, 11:44   Link #236
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
The FFXIII trailer has short in-game battle scene, and from my view, it looks almost the same as CG movie.
Y'know, i'm willing to think that the scene before that in-game battle where she is fighting the monster might be a cut-scene using in game graphics... i mean, looking at the monster and comparing it to damn near everything else in the trailer, it doesn't look as well done in my opinion...

And comparing how lightning looks in that scene fighting that monster to how she looks in the scene before that one, facing down that robot thing, i think their might be a slight difference in how well she is rendered... i think the hair atleast might not be as well rendered during the monster fight as it is when she's facing down that robot... will need a HD version of the trailer to be sure though since it could just be a lighting thing
Slayerx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-17, 12:03   Link #237
Mistacloudstrife
"I'll cut them off..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by akitakumi View Post
wow the heroine looks like yuna from X-2... the way she shooting exactly like her man i will definitely ply this game for sure.... the protagonist looks coolx
Hmm... I always hear people say that she looks like a female Cloud Strife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHige View Post

Judging a game based on how many peeps plays it or how high it ranks on a FAQ page is essentially the same, it tells nothing about the game itself aside from its well advertised so a lot of peeps plays it, doesn't mean its any good.
I think the reason why WoW is so popular is mainly because of the amount of people playing. The interaction with other people around the world is the main point of an MMO(It's not the grinding, that's for sure), and since WoW has so many people playing it, there's a good enough chance you'll find new friends and such. Same goes with a forum. You meet new people, make friends and you stay.

Quote:
I can proudly say i'm one of the bigger FF fans but i was throughly disappointed with FF12. Sure the CG presentations are freaking awesome despite being rendered on a PS2, but the story is long and boring, the characters are dull, the gambit system is essentially a bot program. Personally i'm a big fan of the FF turn-based combat, so i may be biased towards the new system. But even though they took it out of the game i still would've liked the system if it wasnt for the depth of the gambit system- everything can be pre-set, making the actual combat completely automatic, barring any successive lucky attacks from bosses u can basically pre-set ur gambits and go watch a movie.
Well XII is what happens when you don't have Nomura, Kitase, Sakaguchi, and Uematsu having a role in an FF game. I still thought it was fun though. I think it's fine for S-E to go ahead and try something they haven't done before, if fans don't like it, then they'll know to try something else.(Or revert back to the old)

Quote:
I do believe FF7 is overhyped and overrated, but still it WAS a good game, the story was deep, the characters were mostly well-developed and some bosses were actually challenging. FF8 was disliked due to a more romance based story + draw system, but i think its still 10 times better than FF12.
I don't think it was overhyped at all. At least not when it first came out. But I guess getting so much attention even after 10 years can make it seem overhyped.

As for XIII and vsXIII. I don't know what kind of reaction to give right now. I'm feeling iffy about both of them. I have a feeling that they might change Final Fantasy XIII and vsXIII into something unrecognizable. As if they could have just given it another name and nobody would even think it's related to FF.(I think that's what happened with FFXII, aside from the monsters, magic and names, the game didn't give the Final Fantasy vibe I got from I-X) Hopefully I'm wrong though.
Old 2007-12-17, 20:33   Link #238
Garet Jax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
Y'know, i'm willing to think that the scene before that in-game battle where she is fighting the monster might be a cut-scene using in game graphics... i mean, looking at the monster and comparing it to damn near everything else in the trailer, it doesn't look as well done in my opinion...

And comparing how lightning looks in that scene fighting that monster to how she looks in the scene before that one, facing down that robot thing, i think their might be a slight difference in how well she is rendered... i think the hair atleast might not be as well rendered during the monster fight as it is when she's facing down that robot... will need a HD version of the trailer to be sure though since it could just be a lighting thing
Not directed at you or anyone in particular (mostly coming from viewing comments elsewhere) but what really gets me is when people actually seem to be offended or disappointed that things are slightly less detailed in real-time. Just trying to figure out which images are which (pre-render vs. real-time) is fine, as you're doing. But to not be satisfied...? I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not inspecting each frame as I play a game for texture details, polygons slightly out of place, a few jaggies, etc. As far as I'm concerned, the games look spectacular. So they don't look as good as the pre-rendered CG. That's a given. I don't know. Maybe it's because I still own the original FF cartridge for the NES. The newest generation of gamers are used to and expect the higher-def quality.

*subjective $0.02*
Garet Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-17, 21:21   Link #239
Zoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
will need a HD version of the trailer to be sure though since it could just be a lighting thing
I think there have been magazine scans that show it's pretty obvious that it's in-game graphics. There's a huge difference in the quality. That doesn't mean that it's the final in-game graphics though. They could still be targets that will need to be scaled down.

You can also tell that upswing is one of her normal attack moves. She does the exact same move again when fighting the soldiers.
Old 2007-12-17, 22:11   Link #240
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

This is *the* reason I'm getting a PS3. As FFX was the reason for me getting a PS2.
ChibiDusk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
final fantasy, jrpg, ps3, rpg, square-enix, xbox 360