AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

View Poll Results: Evolution Or Creationism?
Creation 17 13.93%
Evolution 85 69.67%
Neither 5 4.10%
Both 15 12.30%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-03-03, 10:40   Link #1
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Evolution or Creationism?

This will be a very lengthy thread, so i'll post markers to the topics. Well, i'll try. I'll also put the lenghty ones into spoilers so, i'll seem smaller. Also I tried to create this thread to the best of my knowledge and my search engine skills and some copying & pasting. And I personally know that some of these data may be incorrect, but just bear with me.

No Flamming Please

I give the information, you guys/gals debate. Heheh ^_^

There's also the promordial soup theory but we're not talking about that. But here s the theory anyway.
The Primordial Soup Theory suggest that life began in a pond or ocean as a result of the combination of chemicals from the atmosphere and some form of energy to make amino acids, the building blocks of proteins, which would then evolve into all the species.

Here's some sources BBC

Here's the source that i've taken most info from, an unlikey spot heheh ^_^. SlickDeals.Net/Forums/Podium

I found it amazing that we don't have a thread dedicated to this topic. (if there is one please tell me, I searched but didn't find any) For anyone who doesn't know what's the difference, I'll tell you. The plain and simple explation is. I'll be evolution first, then creation.

Creationism - Creationism or creation theology encompasses the belief that human beings, the world and the universe were created by a supreme being or deity.

Evolution - a theory that explains the origin and development of life on earth; the process of speciation; a gradual change in a group of living things.

After reading my own thread, I found that this definition was considerably important.

Theory - A comprehensive explanation of a given set of data that has been repeatedly confirmed by observation and experimentation and has gained general acceptance within the scientific community but has not yet been decisively proven.

- Science is not about believing in something, it is about to be convinced that the theory you use is the best model you can find until a better one is found
- No Scientific theory can be proven true, they just can be proven false...

Please remember that theories are theories because at our current time, they haven't been disproved false yet, and this substanciate them correct.

There were very many definition on evolution, and I tried to pick the most correct one for my usage, but there's too many that sounds oddly alike.
----

ps: This isn't within the topic but I thought it was very funny.
Spoiler:

----

ps: I'll point out what I found important. Please thank the people of Slickdeals for their knowledge, and my sources.

Both theory have many flaws and countless amount of data from both sides that seems to disprove the other, or it tries to. In the theory of Creation, it's said that the earth was created in 8 days. Scientifically, that's quite a task to have accomplished it so quickly, and in modern time, it take many years just to finish 1 skyscraper. But if we put this into therotical terms, with Einstein Law of Relativity, it states that as velocity or gravity increase, time is slowed.

Evolution
AE : We all evolved from single celled organisms called eukaryotes (cells with a nuclei).

The Law Of Relativity (A less complicated definition of it)
Spoiler:

The Flaws/Misconceptions Of The Theory Of Relativity
Spoiler:

Questioning Creationism
Spoiler:

Documents in which information can be obtained from from both side seems like the search for the holy grail. While to support the theory of evolution, scientist can physically touch and can analyse such data like soil and different types of animals/organisms (bacteria, fungus, viruses, things like that). Supporting the evolution theory are plausiable experiments that can explain evolution, and at the religious stand point of creation, it's quite difficult to achieve that.

Creationism Time

Genesis 1:1 “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.”

Here's the complete lists of FAQS for anyone who might be interested, I just chosed the most relevant to my thread.

Modern Science versus Creation
Spoiler:

Dinosaurs?
Spoiler:

What's False today, make become facts tomorrow
Spoiler:

Should we just incorporate both theory into a unified theory where the two theory doesn't to be false? We tried, we have, we aren't succeeding in it. I also noticed that public school systems does not teach creationism, but more they teach evolution. I understand that it's not a Christan ran school, but public schools shouldn't be intolerant of teaching both theory, whether one is false, both of them are incorrect or they're both true.

It's true that only time can tell.

PS: The unltimate experiment is to find a planet that can support life and base a experiment on it. From beginning to end, following both religious and scientific approach to it. Though it will be 5 billion year long experiment. Also I hope that I stuffed enough information to be useful to everyone here. Yes, I skipped some important points. Enjoy.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Old 2006-03-03, 11:00   Link #2
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
Here is my response to the Creation Theory.

Why do we have to dig through Layers upon layers of Sentiment to get to the dinosaur bones? Because millions of years of deposits have piled atop of the dinoaurs.

The Dragons they believe were inspired by dinosaurs could've been inspired by this possible situation.

In the middle of the night a guy went into the woods and saw a big snake. Then he ran away to tell the tale of a Mythical Dragon.
He couldnt say it was a just a small thing, so not to lose face he said its a dozen meters long and breathed fire.
Or prehaps he was high on something and he thought he really saw a Dragon.

One day we might be able to get a piece of evidence that proves Evolution to be false. However till I see this evidence I see no reason to put a blind eye to the Theory.

Creation Theory is a bunch of idealistic beliefs believing we are the center of the world. We arent, we claimed the position as being the dominate species on this world by force. You never know maybe God Created the universe for the Cows, and not for the humans who eat the cows...
Old 2006-03-03, 11:09   Link #3
Shay
Monarch Programmer

I'm all for evolution. However, (just in case) I'm going to say a “supreme being” started the ball rolling; fully knowing and intending evolution to carry things on.
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Old 2006-03-03, 12:02   Link #4
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
I just got too much info for both to really determine whether which is true or not. So i'm neither. I'm agnostic, i'm still searching.

I believe that everyone tries to search for something much greater than themself so they can turn to it/him/her for advices and such things like that. Unless you're really really stoicly and this doesn't pretain to you.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Old 2006-03-03, 12:36   Link #5
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
I believe there must've been a beginning. In this light i am a Deist someone who believes that God created the universe and upon it the Universe gave birth to us.

Here is an interesting read on someones thought behind our existance. http://www.beanstalk-inc.com/blog/images/godsdebris.pdf
Old 2006-03-03, 12:54   Link #6
Bracken33

I believe in Evolution and leave the creator thing totally open.

There are many people who believe in a creator and who believe evolution is true at the same time. So both can coexist.

Quote:
Evolution - a theory that explains the development of life on earth; the process of speciation; a gradual change in a group of living things.
I fixed the "Evolution" definition. I think the above version is not correct, because "Evolution theory" says nothing about the origin of life on earth.
A theory dealing with this would be for example the "primordal soup theory", but not the "Evolution theory".
Old 2006-03-03, 13:05   Link #7
JanthraX^
Ace Archer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay
I'm all for evolution. However, (just in case) I'm going to say a “supreme being” started the ball rolling; fully knowing and intending evolution to carry things on.
i believe in something like that too, i belive that something got the 'balling rolling' and we have our own path, and we are a by product of the creation of the universe
Old 2006-03-03, 13:30   Link #8
kj1980
kaii~...kana? kana?

Evolution as an accepted fact or not, I have pride in my country's legend of Izanami and Izanagi creating my country. Sure it's a myth, but it's an important part of our culture and history.
Old 2006-03-03, 13:39   Link #9
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
Evolution as an accepted fact or not, I have pride in my country's legend of Izanami and Izanagi creating my country. Sure it's a myth, but it's an important part of our culture and history.
I always thought Japan was made by a sword. They say the old gods dipped a coral blade into the ocean, and when they pulled it out four perfect drops fell back into the sea, and those drops became the islands of Japan...
Old 2006-03-03, 13:45   Link #10
Xellos-_^
Valentine's Day with Wife

Just want to Nitpick here. Evolution has nothing to do with the creation of life. Evolution is the Theory for how life adapt to its enviroment. Natural Selection is the mechanism by which Evolution happens. Abiogenesis is the theory by which life was created.

Evolution and Creatism are not mutually exclusive.

Abiogenesis and Creatism is mutually exclusive.

Darwin never try to explain how life came to be. His thoery only explain how lifeforms changes over time due to its enviroment.
Old 2006-03-03, 13:46   Link #11
Nightbat®
Deadpan Snarker

I'm all for Creationism!!!
All Hail FSM!
Old 2006-03-03, 13:49   Link #12
kj1980
kaii~...kana? kana?

Quote:
I always thought Japan was made by a sword. They say the old gods dipped a coral blade into the ocean, and when they pulled it out four perfect drops fell back into the sea, and those drops became the islands of Japan...
That's what I meant by Izanami and Izanagi.
Old 2006-03-03, 14:06   Link #13
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
That's what I meant by Izanami and Izanagi.
Wow. I thought I was just being an ass by spouting off some line from a movie.

Nice read, thanks.
Old 2006-03-03, 14:34   Link #14
Sakaki
Watakushi wa heiki desu!

Send a message via AIM to Sakaki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^
Just want to Nitpick here. Evolution has nothing to do with the creation of life. Evolution is the Theory for how life adapt to its enviroment. Natural Selection is the mechanism by which Evolution happens. Abiogenesis is the theory by which life was created.

Evolution and Creatism are not mutually exclusive.

Abiogenesis and Creatism is mutually exclusive.

Darwin never try to explain how life came to be. His thoery only explain how lifeforms changes over time due to its enviroment.
There should be a both selection to the poll.
Old 2006-03-03, 15:21   Link #15
Kamui4356
Aria Company

This evolution vs creationism thing is an artifical debate. As Xellos pointed out, the two are not mutually exclusive. I'd even go so far as to say creationism and abiogenesis are not necessarily mutually exclusive, if one compromises a bit with each. After all, who's to say god didn't trigger all those organic compounds to come together to form the first simple lifeform?

Creationism is religion, not science. If one wants to believe it, fine, but please don't try to pass it off as a valid scientific theory.
Old 2006-03-03, 16:46   Link #16
Mr.Hawq
The Hawqman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
This evolution vs creationism thing is an artifical debate. As Xellos pointed out, the two are not mutually exclusive. I'd even go so far as to say creationism and abiogenesis are not necessarily mutually exclusive, if one compromises a bit with each. After all, who's to say god didn't trigger all those organic compounds to come together to form the first simple lifeform?

Creationism is religion, not science. If one wants to believe it, fine, but please don't try to pass it off as a valid scientific theory.

Very well said. Just to answer the question, I strongly belive in creation.

reason: I am heavily influenced by parents and family.
Old 2006-03-03, 16:54   Link #17
Soluzar

Send a message via AIM to Soluzar Send a message via MSN to Soluzar Send a message via Yahoo to Soluzar
Quote:
It has never seemed to me that the theory of evolution in any way excludes the possibility of a supreme being, and as such that theory ought to be entirely compatible with Christian beliefs.
Old 2006-03-03, 17:04   Link #18
Ending

Thankfully people are a bit wiser here than on AnimePaper, which had a similar poll just a little while ago. Sadly, there people were a bit backwards and still believed into "creationism." Or, in more correct form; supernatural being. Funny how religion uses different cover-words for the same old lore they have teached for the last 2,000 years...

So yes; evolution. I also strongly wish that religions would already disappear from developed countries. A thing of past, they are, when people could not explain matters with more rational thinking.
Old 2006-03-03, 17:12   Link #19
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
There is no formal prove for both theories (thatswhy they are called theories). To divert theories into scientific and religious ones is imo nitpicking (does not matter in the end, because one cannot prove either of them formal).
I accept both of them as theories which might contain truth to a certain extent (sure I tend to weight the possibilty of truth (or partly truth) of evolution over creationism).
However, since we are inherent components of a system, we don't get an outer spectator view on our universe and how it works (I am also sure we would not understand it in all its completeness, even if we could be out of the system spectators, because our brains won't be able to understand things more complex than the brains itself -entropy rules).
So nothing is for sure, not even a formal mathematical prove can be considered 100% truth, because it depends on axioms, which are considered (based on belief) to be true.
So I am agnostic not only to the question is there a "god" or not but also to all other theories in the universe. But I tend to weight which theory might be more or less possible (that is according to my belief, well ... there's nothing one can be sure to be true, so somewhere one need to believe in something, whatever it is).
This is btw. very funny, because in my understanding of the world every theory is possible (more or less... depends on the theory).
But one thing I believe in very strongly, there is no theory that can be complete and true. Mankind will never be able to achieve such a thing.

So basically I am for both theories but my belief is stronger for evolution.

p.s. before there was the forums half reset, such a thread existed.

Last edited by Jinto; 2006-03-03 at 17:25.
Old 2006-03-03, 17:17   Link #20
Thewanderer
Hiyori Fanboy

Send a message via MSN to Thewanderer Send a message via Yahoo to Thewanderer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordplay
So yes; evolution. I also strongly wish that religions would already disappear from developed countries. A thing of past, they are, when people could not explain matters with more rational thinking.
I agree 100%.