AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2008-02-11, 10:41   Link #781
Xcomp
Owe No Favours!

The comparison for the last part of the novel, 5 Centimetres per Second is finally up for those of you who don't know already. There was a lot to write and I've got a lot of coursework on my hands just now so that's why it took so long. It contains the full contents of the love letter Akari wrote and a partial bit from Takaki's own letter. It also covers Takaki's university life right through to the few years of his career as a system engineer.

Kind of sad to know this will probably be the last of what I'll hear from my favourite story but, it was a good read and I'm sure I'll be coming back to it in the future.

Spoiler for novel:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkor View Post
5 cm per second and The Place Promised in Our Early Days will be released on Blue-ray and HD DVD

Source:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...d-dvd-in-japan

Depending on much it’s going to cost, I think I will end up ditching ADV’s upcoming R1 release. I cannot avoid the feeling that it’s going to be a bit overpriced, but otherwise, this is one of the few shows that are worth watching more than once, especially if you have it in high definition.
Dante80 (and I'm sure there are many others) was looking for an HD release so it's good news. Maybe someone will rip a 1080p version of the movie and use existing subs with it but those are very rare. I've only seen 720p encodes mostly so far. Too bad I don't have any HD hardware in the house to enjoy the movie at its finest

I am glad they didn't try to make another special edition out of this, though. Odd they've left out the interview in this new release.
Xcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-11, 11:11   Link #782
HunterSeeker
The Spirit of Steel

Location: HKSAR, PRC, Asia, The Earth, The Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe.
Send a message via MSN to HunterSeeker
Nice.
After reading these summaries, I'm 1000% looking forward to read the book myself.
HunterSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-11, 11:29   Link #783
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
5 cm per second and The Place Promised in Our Early Days will be released on Blue-ray and HD DVD

Source:

Depending on much it’s going to cost, I think I will end up ditching ADV’s upcoming R1 release. I cannot avoid the feeling that it’s going to be a bit overpriced, but otherwise, this is one of the few shows that are worth watching more than once, especially if you have it in high definition.

Erm, you linked to an article that says how much it costs. Do you even read what you post?
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-11, 13:32   Link #784
Saffire

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Erm, you linked to an article that says how much it costs. Do you even read what you post?
I'd read a bit more closely if I were you.
Saffire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-17, 09:52   Link #785
cheung

Does anyone know when the chinese translation of the novel will be out in stores/playasia?

I really liked reading the summaries on xcomp's website, didn't know there was so much more to the storyline. I'm glad I learnt chinese I'll probably end up in posting an english translation of the novel here
cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-18, 17:33   Link #786
Xcomp
Owe No Favours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheung View Post
Does anyone know when the chinese translation of the novel will be out in stores/playasia?
You're pretty much in the same boat as HunterSeeker.

After doing a bit of digging around, I found some release dates for the last novel that was based on Shinkai's previous movie "The Place Promised in Our Early Days". In Japan, it came out on 26th December 2005 and then the translated Taiwanese version then came out on 8th December 2006.

If we go by those dates then, I presume you'll be waiting until early November this year before the Chinese version of 5cm will be out. The Japanese release was on 16th November 2007.

Also came across a number of Chinese forums discussing the novel. Seems everyone is only interested in the last story because that's all they've been talking about.
Xcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-19, 13:47   Link #787
cheung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcomp View Post
You're pretty much in the same boat as HunterSeeker.

After doing a bit of digging around, I found some release dates for the last novel that was based on Shinkai's previous movie "The Place Promised in Our Early Days". In Japan, it came out on 26th December 2005 and then the translated Taiwanese version then came out on 8th December 2006.

If we go by those dates then, I presume you'll be waiting until early November this year before the Chinese version of 5cm will be out. The Japanese release was on 16th November 2007.

Also came across a number of Chinese forums discussing the novel. Seems everyone is only interested in the last story because that's all they've been talking about.
Ah early November, that's ok. I'll just try to keep my mind off it. I'm not surprised that everyone is talking about only the last part, there was a slight sense of incompleteness in 5cm/s for me since they packed everything into 20 minutes.

I do hope that they translate the novel quicker than The Place Promised in Our Early Days. I think since Makoto Shinkai is a lot more well known now (well, in the underground anime scene anyway), the publishing and translating companies would put more resources into the 5cm/s novel.

I guess what would be even better is ADV picks up the novel and translated it fast. The Welcome to the NHK light novel was translated pretty quickly and so was the Voices of a Distant Star Manga so I think there are a lot of opportunities for the 5cm/s novel to be translated into a number of languages.

Thanks for digging up the information xcomp, you're awesome
cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-20, 01:19   Link #788
feRfe

watched this movie awhile ago but just joined this forum...

just reading this thread brought the tears back to my eye..

~
feRfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-24, 19:20   Link #789
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

wee bit off topic, but has the novel from promised place been translated yet? like available for purchase in the states.

and here's hoping for a late 08 release for the byousoku novel
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-26, 18:47   Link #790
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

alright. march 4th. byousoku dvd comes out.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...s-for-releases

i'm waiting
Old 2008-03-01, 23:23   Link #791
ShadowVlican

Quote:

Source:

Depending on much itís going to cost, I think I will end up ditching ADVís upcoming R1 release. I cannot avoid the feeling that itís going to be a bit overpriced, but otherwise, this is one of the few shows that are worth watching more than once, especially if you have it in high definition.
wow that is awesome news! i can't wait!!!!!
ShadowVlican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-16, 13:03   Link #792
FuzzyWuzzy

K I just watched Makoto Shinkai's 5 cm per second movie. I want to know more about the story cause I'm addicted. I'm reading some of the posts and I'm confuse.

Just to make it clear, what are my choices? Is there a:
Live action?
tv anime?
Novel? What's the name and is there a version that is translated in English?
Manga?

Any help would be nice. Thank you in advance.
FuzzyWuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-16, 13:16   Link #793
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzzy View Post
K I just watched Makoto Shinkai's 5 cm per second movie. I want to know more about the story cause I'm addicted. I'm reading some of the posts and I'm confuse.

Just to make it clear, what are my choices? Is there a:
Live action? No.
tv anime? Nope.
Novel? What's the name and is there a version that is translated in English? Yes! But it's not translated quite yet. I'm not even sure it will be, since the novel for The Place Promised in our Early Days hasn't been translated, but the manga for Voices of a Distant Star has.
Manga? I'm not sure, but I doubt it.

Any help would be nice. Thank you in advance.
Regarding the R1 release, I still have the torrent on my computer, but I might buy it just to support ADV, see how they did with the dub, and see the DVD quality.
Old 2008-03-16, 13:18   Link #794
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I will definitely buy it to support ADV's subbing team.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-16, 21:04   Link #795
FuzzyWuzzy

Anyone else think that Makoto Shinkai made an AMV at the end (and left it like that for people to interpret) instead of you know, story telling.
Old 2008-03-16, 21:34   Link #796
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Well yeah that was kind of similar to an AMV, with fades and flashes and all. Whatever it is, it's one of the best endings I've ever seen.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-16, 22:29   Link #797
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

its pretty easy to piece together what's happening. and the novel thats out now apparently provides much more insight to what happens. i hope its as touching and deep as the Voices of a Distant Star manga. i read that while listening to the OST and i teared up.

on a side note: i didn't get to buy the dvd over my spring break. never made it to best buy..
Old 2008-03-16, 22:48   Link #798
FuzzyWuzzy

yeah, that's what I'm saying... you know... putting an amv in the end was .... nice touch.
Old 2008-03-17, 00:43   Link #799
Dante80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcomp View Post
Dante80 (and I'm sure there are many others) was looking for an HD release so it's good news. Maybe someone will rip a 1080p version of the movie and use existing subs with it but those are very rare. I've only seen 720p encodes mostly so far. Too bad I don't have any HD hardware in the house to enjoy the movie at its finest
Yeah, I'm crossing my fingers too...I'm sure there will be a 1080p RAW out after release, so someone like THORA might pick it up...^^

Heck, I'd buy the BlueRay too if I didn't already have the R2 LE and had ordered the R1. But I won't pay for a third time (at least, not yet)...

Thanks for the novel summaries man, they were enlightening...
Old 2008-03-17, 22:20   Link #800
ApostleOfGod
^.^

At the end, I think Shinkai created a composition with different parts of the movie, but also extra scenes that we've not seen before. Also, at the end of this ending scene, it is finally revealed to us how Tono got to "move on" instead of running back across the tracks to chase her and see if she was his dream girl. Thus, I'd say it's an AMV or AMV-like scene that needs to be there .

Also, I tried an Anime store I know for Byousoku on March 4th, but I was told shippings come in Wednesdays and Fridays (4th was Tuesday). So I bought it on Friday, and the quality is AMAZING. I've seen Byousoku twice before, once at the Waterloo Festival for Animated Cinema (WFAC) on the big screen, but the quality on the disc is definitly worth it for me. I paid $30 bux for it, and it was the first Anime that I ever actually bought (usually stream/download or burrow my stuff). I guess with this, and from my attendance at a local Anime Con, I am officially an Otaku!

Byousoku is just amazing. One of the best anime of all time for me.

Edit: Damn, all this novel talk is getting me excited and impatient for an English version to be distributed, but I guess I'll just have to read translations until that happens... Or learn Japanese of course

One is to live life as if nothing is a miracle.

The other way is to live life as though everything is a miracle.
ApostleOfGod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coming of age, drama, romance, shinkai