AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2010-04-06, 00:02   Link #1101
Akeii
Djungarian Hamster

This movie was so sad! I literally had one of those jaw-dropping chibi faces on the entire length of the ending song. If you're expecting a happy ending, your thought processes would probably be something along these lines:
Spoiler:

I think something inside me died a little with the shock. The makers 5 Centimeters a second seem to love capturing the poignancy of realism, though I might point out that when the second girl threw her paper airplane and it soared into the sky that was anything but realism. The anime's still bittersweet, though.

I just want to curl up all alone in a corner for several minutes before going on with my life. Uuuu.... T_______T
Akeii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-06, 00:28   Link #1102
higoku1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akeii View Post
This movie was so sad! I literally had one of those jaw-dropping chibi faces on the entire length of the ending song. If you're expecting a happy ending, your thought processes would probably be something along these lines:
Spoiler:

I think something inside me died a little with the shock. The makers 5 Centimeters a second seem to love capturing the poignancy of realism, though I might point out that when the second girl threw her paper airplane and it soared into the sky that was anything but realism. The anime's still bittersweet, though.

I just want to curl up all alone in a corner for several minutes before going on with my life. Uuuu.... T_______T
I completely understand how you felt my friend, that's how I was when I finished the movie too. Just want to sit there and disconnect myself from the harshness of reality because it was so depressing. The interesting thing is that everybody feel depressed after watching 5cm/s is because that those kinds of situations are very true and it happens all the time.
higoku1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-06, 01:06   Link #1103
Akeii
Djungarian Hamster

Well, yeah. I'm also feeling a bit guilty since I was nice to a gal who had a crush on me, but I acted as if I never knew. >_> ... *cringes*
Akeii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-06, 02:05   Link #1104
higoku1

Cherish the opportunities that offered to you my friend, many people takes things for granted and they don't realize how precious it is until it's snatched away from them. That's my life advice.
higoku1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-08, 22:52   Link #1105
Knightrunner

One of the best anime I watched. It kind of reminds me about myself and a lot of other people out there. Now I wished I would have kept my elementary, middle school, and some high school connection. The potential is great in how many wonderful relationships a person can have. Not just for a love interest but being a family of friends.

The way both characters drift apart is almost like what happen to most of my friends.
Old 2010-04-08, 23:01   Link #1106
germanturkey
Smiling Monster

^^ that is one of the best parts of the movie. the realism wherein Takaki and Akari lose contact with each other. the second episode definitely hit home with me when he wanted to send her texts, but never did. its so sad

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-08, 23:03   Link #1107
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

(copied from mah blog)

Oh, I watched 5 Centimetres per Second, FINALLY. It's a realistic showing of love and friendship, which is drastically juxtaposed, in my mind, to Clannad, showing perfect love/tragedy. 5 Cm/S, however, shows how people can drift apart, and that some will linger for their first love. Really beautifully animated too, with great atmospheric piano BGM's. One more time, One more chance ftw~
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-24, 16:07   Link #1108
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

5 Centimeters Per Second Gets Manga Adaptation

Anyone else hoping for a different ending with Takaki and Akari ending up together? I must say, I'm really hoping for a happier ending in the manga (even if they don't end up together), and maybe we'll get to see more stuff that the movie missed out from the novel.
Zwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-24, 16:52   Link #1109
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support

It'll suck if they base it on the movie. It should follow the original material so we get what we missed in the movie.
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-25, 10:57   Link #1110
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwei View Post
5 Centimeters Per Second Gets Manga Adaptation

Anyone else hoping for a different ending with Takaki and Akari ending up together? I must say, I'm really hoping for a happier ending in the manga (even if they don't end up together), and maybe we'll get to see more stuff that the movie missed out from the novel.
I sure hope the novel material will be included in the manga adaptation, however, I don't want a different ending with Akari and Takaki ending together. What I'd love is for Kanae (surfer girl) to get more love, she was by far my favourite character in the movie.

So, has this Yukiko Seike done any manga before? I'd like to see what her art looks like.
Old 2010-05-26, 06:55   Link #1111
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
So, has this Yukiko Seike done any manga before? I'd like to see what her art looks like.
I can't find any information about the person besides the manga adaptation of 5 Centimeters. Anyone else having any luck?
Old 2010-06-08, 12:53   Link #1112
Kontay

The movies soul and meaning revolves around what happens at the end, so it was expected. It couldn't have ended like a lot of people hoped..

The movie was a masterpiece thou. Managing to show life under such realistic measures, while containing the beauty of it, was truly stunning. Makoto Shinkai is a great artist, and I am looking forward to more from him =)
Old 2010-07-01, 08:45   Link #1113
Xcomp
Owe No Favours!

Been a long time since I visited this forum! Just to let you viewers know I've built a fansite for the movie and have translated the first part of the novel "Oukashou".

http://5cm.lhyeung.net/

Just in case you're wondering, the movie originally started out as short stories so you could say this is the way the movie could have been. It has a lot of new and extra details that can't be found in the movie - Especially the third part, 5cm.

Here's a small preview of Oukashou...

Quote:
“Hey, it looks just like snow, “Akari had said.

It was seventeen years ago when she said that. We had just become elementary six students and we would always walk together around the small grove on our way home with our schoolbags on our little backs. It was spring and a countless number of cherry blossoms were in full bloom on the trees, their petals dancing soundlessly in the air, covering the asphalt beneath our feet in a blanket of white. The air was warm and the sky hung overhead as if it was a great canvas covered with light blue paint. Not far from us ran the main road and the Odasaki railroad crossing but none of its noise seemed to reach us. Only the chirping of birds could be heard as if a blessing from spring. There was no one else was around.

It was as if it was just a painting of a certain spring scene.

Yes. At least in my memories that moment of time was like a painting. You could say they were just a collection of images. When I try to gather those old memories, I feel as if I’m gazing from outside a frame at a little distance. The young man had only just turned eleven and so was the girl who was around the same height as he was. I gaze as their figures as they run into the distance, the light that filled the world enveloped them naturally. I was always watching them from behind in that painting. And every time it would always be the young girl who ran ahead first. When I remember that short moment of sadness that shivered the young man’s heart, it makes even I who was now an adult feel just a little sad.

In any case, I remember how Akari had described the shower of cherry blossom petals were like snow. But I never saw it that way. At that time, cherry blossoms were just cherry blossoms and snow was just snow to me.

“Hey, it looks just like snow.”

“It does? Hmmm, maybe it does…”

“Oh, never mind,” Akari said coldly walking two steps ahead quickly before turning around. Her brown hair shone as the light from the sky reflected off it and once again, she said something mysterious.

“Hey, I heard they fall at five centimetres per second.”

“What?”

“What do you think?”

“I don’t know.”

“Come on, think about it, Takaki-kun.”

I still didn’t know what she was talking about so I just honestly told her I didn’t know.

“It’s the speed cherry blossom petals fall at. They fall at five centimetres per second.”
You can read the full story here. Working on translating Cosmonaut now.
Xcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-01, 09:23   Link #1114
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support

Whoa, that's awesome man!! Thanks a lot.

The chapters are surprisingly short.

Have you watched the licensed version with English subtitles at all? I'm really curious how those subtitles are, sometimes they get butchered and all.
Old 2010-07-01, 13:07   Link #1115
Xcomp
Owe No Favours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Whoa, that's awesome man!! Thanks a lot.

The chapters are surprisingly short.

Have you watched the licensed version with English subtitles at all? I'm really curious how those subtitles are, sometimes they get butchered and all.
Well, you know one of the tag lines for this movie is "A chain of short stories about their distance" so yes, they're short

They get longer with Cosmonaut and then 5cm is the longest which, as I mentioned long ago, talks about Takaki's university life too before we see him as he is in the movie.

I've only watched ADV's subtitled version and it looks good to me. Only the song's translation fell terribly short, imo. The choice of words the translator chose seemed to lack the emotion the original song writer put into the lyrics.
Old 2010-07-01, 14:00   Link #1116
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcomp View Post
Well, you know one of the tag lines for this movie is "A chain of short stories about their distance" so yes, they're short

They get longer with Cosmonaut and then 5cm is the longest which, as I mentioned long ago, talks about Takaki's university life too before we see him as he is in the movie.
Ah, okay, I wasn't really sure, thanks.

Quote:
I've only watched ADV's subtitled version and it looks good to me. Only the song's translation fell terribly short, imo. The choice of words the translator chose seemed to lack the emotion the original song writer put into the lyrics.
The song lyrics aren't all that important. I can always look those up. I worry about the translations because sometimes they really do suck and even I, who only knows Japanese from watching anime, know it's bad.
Old 2010-07-01, 15:40   Link #1117
Xcomp
Owe No Favours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
The song lyrics aren't all that important. I can always look those up. I worry about the translations because sometimes they really do suck and even I, who only knows Japanese from watching anime, know it's bad.
I think they are important in this case since it fairly much wraps up the stories by showing what Takaki has been going through before that last scene where he finally manages a smile and move on but... there you go
Old 2010-07-01, 21:50   Link #1118
germanturkey
Smiling Monster

omfg. someone's translating the novels. you are are legend. thanks so much.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-02, 08:02   Link #1119
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcomp View Post
I think they are important in this case since it fairly much wraps up the stories by showing what Takaki has been going through before that last scene where he finally manages a smile and move on but... there you go
Yeah, so I'll just read proper translations else where. Thanks though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
omfg. someone's translating the novels. you are are legend. thanks so much.
Right? I'm gonna make read them on my PSP next time I go on an airplane (which should be soon I hope).
Old 2010-07-02, 11:34   Link #1120
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Thanks a lot for translating the novel! I'll read it once everything is done. The rest of your site is great as well.

Tags
coming of age, drama, romance, shinkai