AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2007-02-16, 22:15   Link #101
Sailor Enlil
GWAAAA!

Sakuya:

Because the full movie is already being streamed at the Byousoku 5m website (hosted by Yahoo Japan - "airing" dates are Feb 16-19, I believe you need special privileges to view it, apparently a Yahoo Japan Premium account). So monir either used that one or found a raw captured by another guy.
Old 2007-02-16, 22:59   Link #102
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuya View Post
I guess I can take that as a very deep and moving story about life.
The story is a delight but compared to the visualization, it is secondary! Kyoto Animation has nothing on this guy when it comes to mind boggling detail in visualization. I know I'm being unfair to KyoAni, but I just had to say it since I'm still in a trance.
Old 2007-02-16, 23:35   Link #103
Impz
Insanity Anime Blogger

bah, after watching it, I can only say that I am totally amazed at his eye for detail. Now, I will just go over and write a summary worthy of it, though it's impossible to do so.

It's just that good.

Click the signature!
Impz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-17, 00:08   Link #104
Kaoru Chujo
Kuno Misaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
I'm just too stunned to say anything at the moment, so I'll just post the screenshots for now...It's good to be alive...
Yes. I was almost afraid to come to the forums, since I don't really want anything other than that sublimity in my consciousness right now.

The immediacy of so many moments in the piece: you are just right there, on a particular evening, in a particular station, on a particular train, in a particular person's soul.

The visual art is sublime, but the story keeps pace, for me. They work together to create real Art, Art that brings us closer to the reality of existence in the world.
Kuno Misaki 久野美咲 age 21. 2009 - King of Thorn (Alie). 2010 - Oreimo (Bridget). 2012 - Black Rock Shooter (Hiro). 2013 - Problem children (Melln). Ro-Kyu-Bu! SS (Mimi), Log Horizon (Serara), Galilei Donna (Grande Rosso). 2014 - Noragami (Keiichi), Escha and Logy (Kuu), Zvezda Plot (Hoshimiya Kate/Venera-sama), Wixoss (Tama), Mahouka Koukou (Kasuga Nanami), Flag o Oraretara (Kurumiko), Nanana (Saki), Seven Deadly Sins (Hawk).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | autumn 2014 previews | autumn 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: Sailor Moon Crystal | Akatsuki no Yona | Amagi Brilliant Park | Coffin-Princess Chaika | Cross Ange | Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai | Danna ga Nani ga Itteru | Denkigai no Honya-san | Donten ni Warau | Fate/Stay Night UBW | Le Fruit de la Grisaia | Gugure! Kokkuri-san | Inou Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de | Madan no Ou to Vanadis | Orenchi no Furo Jijou | Seven Deadly Sins | Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso | Shirobako | Sora no Method | Tribe Cool Crew | Trinity Seven | Ushinawareta Mirai o Motomete | Wixoss

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-02-17 at 00:18.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-17, 00:21   Link #105
7Th
Mixtape

While really enjoy the color managment and heavy detailed environment, Shinkai works better as an artist that as an animator. Sure, even the minimalistic traditional-style anime characters look pretty good on their own right, but for depiction of movement I think I've seen a good amount of better stuff. I'm probably biased since I'm all for superflat, though.

And c'mon, KyoAni are really far away from being the best studio around.
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-17, 00:47   Link #106
SephirothYuyX
I Am, Who I Am.

Send a message via AIM to SephirothYuyX
Mmm, got the raw.. but resisting the urge to watch it until the other two stories are released ;-;
SephirothYuyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-17, 01:02   Link #107
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephirothYuyX View Post
Mmm, got the raw.. but resisting the urge to watch it until the other two stories are released ;-;
If it's any consolation, the episode is a stand-alone one.
Old 2007-02-17, 01:24   Link #108
Impz
Insanity Anime Blogger

All right, I have the detailed summary and thoughts of Episode 1 up in my blog.

If anyone is keen, you can go there

Click the signature!
Impz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-17, 01:42   Link #109
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Those are some beautiful screenshots. Then again, the whole episode is beautiful. Thanks to your detailed overview, I also picked up a few of the things that I missed at my first viewing. Of course, I intend to watch it many more times. Some cookies to show my appreciation for your effort.
Old 2007-02-17, 01:55   Link #110
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Why was this placed in the fansubbed section?
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-17, 02:02   Link #111
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuya View Post
I guess I can take that as a very deep and moving story about life. But how did you get the screencaps when the DVD is not released yet?
Yahoo JP has put the the first part up for a few days .

Really stunning artwork, background and use of light effects. The depiction of snow is exceptionally good, from the fine snow that falls like sakura petals to blizzard-like ones. They really make Kanon's snow like a child's play. The stations are very realistic with everything drawn accurately. Somehow they remind me of my visit to the Shinjuku station quite a long time ago.

The story is well, typical of Shinkai's work, and is like those J-dramas of the 80s and 90s. You can sum it up with a few lines, but I have no complain on that.

It would be a blasphemy not to release the movie as HD-DVD/Blu-ray. DVD simply cannot do it justice.
Doraneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-17, 02:13   Link #112
Arimfe
SharpenerOfTheBoxcutter

Location: where Grudge is Greatest, Rancour Endless and Malice Eternal(at school^^;;)
Lol, I don't know what to say other than this movie made me happy today
*looks forward to the rest*
Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223 View Post
As far as I know it was moved here ever since the promos got translated.
Arimfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-17, 02:17   Link #113
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223 View Post
This thread was moved when the trailer/promo was subbed. At that time, there was no clear outline for threads prior to moving to the Fansubbed section, such as, the show in question needs to start airing and fansubbed before it could be moved to the Fansubbed section. I'll let this thread stay here since this is Catgirls' legacy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doraneko View Post
It would be a blasphemy not to release the movie as HD-DVD/Blu-ray. DVD simply cannot do it justice.
Yes, it will be a good excuse to get a Blu-ray player (a.k.a PS3), won't it? Did I mention I bought Beyond the Cloud 3 times already?

Last edited by monir; 2007-02-17 at 13:00. Reason: grammar
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-17, 04:24   Link #114
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
If it's any consolation, the episode is a stand-alone one.
However, the other two stories build up on this one, so they are not completely stand-alone.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-17, 07:36   Link #115
Lost

OH GOD I'M LATE ARGGGGH NO WHY. All your good responses are really really building my anticipation.

// I–I think I died and went to anime heaven. Where Makoto Shinkai was a god.

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but this sets a new benchmark for the rest of Anime to aspire to. To be honest, some scenes without animated people/characters/birds might as well have been real camera shots. Hahaha that was so beautiful, and not just graphically. Even tho I didnt understand what they were saying, their feelings came over perfectly. Looking forward to subs.

Last edited by Lost; 2007-02-17 at 10:37.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-17, 10:36   Link #116
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
*EDITED*

Sorry, saw the first post and my question made me look like an idiot.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-17, 12:58   Link #117
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post
However, the other two stories build up on this one, so they are not completely stand-alone.
I suppose I should say, "episodic in nature" but still is an important part to the overall story, like GitS, i.e. Stand Alone Complex. The preview for the next story was equally riveting.

On another subject, I thought I would have seen wao's post by now considering she goes nuts over gorgeous animation, and the animation here is not gorgeous, but godly.
Old 2007-02-17, 13:18   Link #118
Cal-Reflector

i haven't seen it yet, but I will, and I recognize all the familiar faces here from Mushishi and Hachikuro too so I'll definitely be participating in this thread.

*Thread Adulation and talk of succession of Miyazaki in three, two, one...*
Old 2007-02-17, 15:16   Link #119
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
There's an uncanny resemblance between "Hoshi no Koe" and "Sakura".

Of course, ALL of Shinkai's works deal with the issues of distance, broken relationships and the means by which lovers stay connected to each other, yet "Hoshi no koe" and the first segment of "Five centimeters per second" are interestingly intertwined in this aspect.

In "Hoshi no Koe", Nagamine went away and Noboru stayed behind. We follow Nagamine's drama of breaking apart from her beloved.

In "Sakura", Takaki stayed behind, while Akari went away. We follow Takaki's drama of reuniting with his beloved.

In a way, "Sakura" completes this circle of loss, connection and coming once again together. We follow a different perspective, but the pain of longing stays the same even though we know that Lysithea returned to Earth and Noboru met Nagamine once again. Through Takaki's eyes we get to understand that the loneliness Takaki and Noboru felt were no less severe than the pain of separation suffered by Akari and Nagamine.

I think "Sakura" was mostly a work of contrast. I already described the contrast with "Hoshi no Koe", but there were many no less significant contrasts of imagery. Falling sakura and falling snow. Letters, connecting two people, and the trains that bring them together. Intense clarity and complexity of objects contrasted with very plain and schematic imagery of human faces. While inanimate objects were made very detailed and photorealistic, humans were drawn in a very sparce and minimalistic manner in order to contrast and compare them. Use of hard vs. soft lighting.

And once again Shinkai proves to the world that he is indeed a secret train fanatic. There was some awesome train otaku moments in "Kumo no Mukou", but "Sakura" really is a coming out time for Shinkai. His trains are beautiful, intensely realistic and true to life. Amazing.

Last edited by MrProphet; 2007-02-17 at 15:27.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-17, 16:06   Link #120
Quajafrie
Not here anymore!

I'm ready to kill myself anytime for a sub.
Quajafrie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coming of age, drama, romance, shinkai