AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2006-03-12, 15:29   Link #1
guess

BitTorrent vs emule?

What is the difference detween the two?
Old 2006-03-12, 19:03   Link #2
DWKnight
Torrent Goon

Send a message via ICQ to DWKnight Send a message via AIM to DWKnight Send a message via MSN to DWKnight Send a message via Yahoo to DWKnight
ED2K (of which eMule is a client) is a traditional p2p network. Shared files, searching, that sort of thing.

BitTorrent is an advanced download accellerator and mirror manager.

Speeds on BitTorrent are typically higher, due to the fact that there are no queues (or EXTREMELY short ones).

ED2K is better suited for downloading long-since-lost anime.

The two program groups aren't in the same category, so comparisons aren't really that reasonable to make.
DWKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-22, 04:00   Link #3
sophismata
いいえ

ED2K:

Files from a shared directory on your computer can be requested and downloaded at will by peers. Systems are connected through hubs and leaves, and you can run searches on the network for files and metadata.

It's great for downloading hard-to-find files, requires no centralised tracker, and thus is strictly peer-to-peer. In essence, your client will queue and sort requests for files you have, sending them out in pieces to maximise upload, and othe clients will do the same. The more people have a file, the easier it is to download it, because there is more bandwidth available.

Bittorrent:

A specific file or group of files is shared using a tracker. Systems are connected through this tracker, which monitors activity and allows the uploading/downloading of information from other peers connected to the tracker.

Because everyone using a particular torrent/tracker is requesting the same thing, it tends to be much faster then ED2K for downloading - there are no queues, for example. However, because tracker maintainence (and existence) is required, older or inactive files can (and often are) taken down or forgotten; they must be specifically shared with the tracker independantly of client and thus Bittorrent tends to be best for new or popular releases.

DHT:

DHT, available with some Bittorrent clients such as Azereus and uTorrent, is a slight modification which allows peers to connect independant of the tracker. In this respect, it is similar to ED2K, but still shares the major 'flaw' of Bittorrent; files have to be specifically uploaded and shared for them to be distributed through the network.
sophismata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-22, 04:43   Link #4
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

FYI: the way you describe how eMule works only applies to the KAD feature of eMule.
Originally ED2K clients (such as eMule) required a connection to a ED2K server like Razorback.
Fortunately the fact that more and more of these servers are being shutdown doesn't
hurt ED2K much due to KAD (Kadmilla).

Btw, I wrote this page a while back with more detailed info:
http://www.leechanime.com/doc/guides/emule.html
(btw: some parts of that site may not work...)
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-30, 04:26   Link #5
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

i recently ran across some people using emule, and this is the first I have heard of it.

So i have a question about the p2p sharing, do you still connect to alot of peers at a time or are the files not broken up and you are only downloading from one point at a time per request?

also it seeds everything in your emule folder? you dont turn what you want to seed on or off? people cant browse around on my harddrive with this can they?
Old 2007-04-30, 16:01   Link #6
martino
makes no files now

You seed what you are downloading, however AFAIK you can stop the sharing by removing the file from the shared folders after it's downaloaded, which is usually the incomplete and downloads one (plus you can set more if you wish it). And you do connect to other peers, but this works in queues. That's why downloading using the ED2K network can take weeks for just a few MB, depending on how many people have that file and how much bandwidth they are willing to offer.

Use it only for really rare stuff which you can't find as torrents and IRC, otherwise IMHO it's just a waste of time.
Old 2007-04-30, 17:46   Link #7
guess

I thought that emule was dead, wasn't it? As in, the creators are not developing it anymore from what I heard?
Old 2007-05-01, 01:48   Link #8
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
I thought that emule was dead, wasn't it? As in, the creators are not developing it anymore from what I heard?
I don't know exactly about that, but I do know that people still use it. Especially people who think BT is difficult to use. How is that so to them I will never understand. But of course, your regular leecher would hardly care to learn about things that make them click more than once to get something they want.

See where the Microsoft policy for handling users has left us

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-01, 02:02   Link #9
Quarkboy
Anime Translator

Send a message via AIM to Quarkboy
emule is far from dead. For North american fansub distribution, yeah, mostly dead.

But for german and european fansub distro, it's alive and well.

Also, I think it is still widely used for warez. Well, let's just say that if you want to get your hands on a hacked copy of XXXX, emule is probably the best place to go by default. Except for all the viruses .
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-01, 21:51   Link #10
kujoe
from head to heel

Emule - Pretty much "anything" really. But beware the viruses as Quarkboy mentioned—and the speed. While a lot of hard to find things are available via emule, you'll probably be spending days trying to download them. However, the sources are always available as long as they're shared.

BitTorrent - Fast and reliable—as long as there are seeds for whatever it is you're downloading. No seeds, no downloads. For fast distribution of files, torrents are the way to go in my opinion.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-05, 20:26   Link #11
Tiberium Wolf

Didn't emule had that credits/ratio thing? I mean the more you upload the more chance you get up in the queue number of the sources. I find this feature annoying.
Old 2007-05-06, 15:01   Link #12
Fruitfly

I don't think credits/ratio matter on popular/new files
If you're trying to find rare files, it probably does, but if you logged in long enough, you'll eventually get it. My stupid router won't let me port forward any ports so uploading is tough, but on good night on emule, I'll download over 1gig and upload 300-600.

You can probably avoid viruses if you don't search the server yourself (which usually gives me almost no results) instead use a reliable site with ed2k links but I don't know any sites that gives those links for english fansubs.

If I can get a torrent link with seeds, I'll use that over emule any day.
Old 2007-05-07, 00:49   Link #13
Edgewalker
Nani ?

Quote:
Use it only for really rare stuff which you can't find as torrents and IRC, otherwise IMHO it's just a waste of time.
Thats pretty much it. Use emule only for files that are impossible to find elsewhere. Other then that bit torrent is far superior in both speed and reliability.

As far as anime goes in most cases stuff you cant find on bit torrent has been licensed and you should be buying it anyways.
Edgewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-15, 01:15   Link #14
AndyTran
Over Drive!

yeah same here. If you can't find a torrent of something, google it with ed2k in the search box. You'll definitely find it somewhere.
AndyTran is offline   Reply With Quote