AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2006-04-04, 11:33   Link #61
Chuixupu
Shikachu
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
I seriously doubt Oda has ever sat down and watched any foreign country's release of the anime, it's beyond his world. You realize that a lot of other countries have dubbed and edited One Piece before the US got it. Although nobody else did quite as bad of a job. :P
Chuixupu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-04, 11:45   Link #62
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness
Sorry for bringing this up, but who the hell would fold 1000 pieces of paper for anything let alone 1000 origami cranes?? I hate 4kids dubbing of One Piece with a passion (Also Toei and Oda who don't seem to give a damn), but I don't hate them that much...not enuff to fold 1000 sheets of paper, think of a way for storing the cranes, then spending an uber amount of dough on shipping and handling to send Toei or 4kids a box of paper birds that'll hit the trash bin before one OP-representative ever gets a nano-glimpse at it...

Finding an asssassin to kill the higher-ups at 4kids seems appreciably easier...
No need to get irritated. 1000 paper crane projects are actually very historical from the Japanese perspective, serious and classy way to show that there is mainstream support for a cause imo. As to who would do such things, Google is your friend.

FUNimation successfully completed their 1000 Paper Crane Project to ask for a second season of Fruits Basket.

If you combine it with legal physical evidence (like a copy of the Region 2 DVD and Region 1 DVD containing the same episode for comparison ) and a reasonable petition taking into account cultural variations in how to go about this type of thing, it may be taken seriously by mainstream.
__________________
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-04, 12:22   Link #63
Slayerx
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuixupu
I seriously doubt Oda has ever sat down and watched any foreign country's release of the anime, it's beyond his world. You realize that a lot of other countries have dubbed and edited One Piece before the US got it. Although nobody else did quite as bad of a job. :P
well, that you be part of the point to the cranes, to make him aware of this crime against art.
It could be that neither Toei or Oda know just how severe the editing is... Toei just doesn't care, and Oda could just be saying "ah it can't be THAT bad"...

Sure it's been dubbed and edited before, but what 4kids has done is just plain insulting and disrespectful... a lot of artists would be pissed off
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-04, 12:58   Link #64
Trax
Rock beats scissors
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Or maybe he knows but doesn't care... As in: Let them botch up their version, he's still got the good one.
Trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-04, 13:32   Link #65
Slayerx
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Hence why i used the term "could be"...
Like wingdarkness said, the jury is still out on Oda

It's uncertain whether or not he cares about what happens outside of Japan... and it could be that he only really cares about the manga, as in "as long as they don't butcher the manga, then i don't care".
Though if he doesn't care about such butchering, i have to say that, personally, my respect for him would weaken slightly... allowing his work to be insulted in such a way, it's just seems to show a lack of care... One of reasons why i give so much respect to Miyazaki is because i know that he thoughly cares about his work, no matter what country its in

I wouldn't expect Oda to do something about it cause he doesn't have that kind of authority over the anime, but i would hope to hear that he was atleast ticked off by it... If it were my work, i would find it very hard to keep quite about such butchery to my work
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-04, 14:58   Link #66
Chuixupu
Shikachu
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Well, I think anything is worth a try. If it could somehow be arranged, it would be a productive thing to do, but actually getting it done is difficult.
Chuixupu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-04, 17:12   Link #67
wingdarkness
Retweet Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ニュー・オーリンズ、LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion
No need to get irritated. 1000 paper crane projects are actually very historical from the Japanese perspective, serious and classy way to show that there is mainstream support for a cause imo. As to who would do such things, Google is your friend.

FUNimation successfully completed their 1000 Paper Crane Project to ask for a second season of Fruits Basket.

If you combine it with legal physical evidence (like a copy of the Region 2 DVD and Region 1 DVD containing the same episode for comparison ) and a reasonable petition taking into account cultural variations in how to go about this type of thing, it may be taken seriously by mainstream.
__________________
Not really irritated at all...Just saying folding 1000 pieces of paper is something I don't think in the modern age that even message board freaks are willing to do....That's alot of dang cranes man, alot of darn folding...I do know about this Japanese historical thing, but still I doubt many would do this because they know in 2006 something like this would be meaningless to send to 4kids (You think they don't already know how much real OP fans hate their version?)...Unless your cybernetic like that kid in that episode of GITSSAC 2nd Gig who was folding 100 paper cranes a minute, I don't see it happening...No need to get perturbed with me, because I was trying to achieve a level of comedy with that post...Hope you weren't the jerk who repped me on that post...I imagine the Funimation project was a fun project (Did 1000 people make 1000 cranes a piece? Doubt it), not an effort to make the worse dubbers in anime history change their editing style when they already know about the fanbacklash and really don't care...So fold away...It should be known I wasn't being entirely serious in either dirrection....

--->"Way to go for an anime fan, about time you took off the blinkers...." I have no clue what this means could the baka who wrote this please explain? If you wanna get me, I should understand what i'm reading...

As for Oda at this point it seems impossible to me that he doesn't know anything...There's a Japanese Cartoon Network that shows programs like Powerpuff girls and Justice League (which are fairly popular shows)...One Piece has almost if not 100 + episodes dubbed and i know if it was me I'd sneek a peek at one or two of them if I had any kind of caring for my product...This is a situation where his apparent lack of caring is glaring...Unless Toei is silencing him I see no other reasoning than he really doesn't give a damn...Because if he caught just 1 or 2 eps he'd see enuff to atleast make some miniscule press release or answer some rouge reporters question as to his feelings on it...One Piece dubbed has been on the air for nearly 2 years, in 2006 it seems unbelieveable to me you can't find one comment positive or negative from the creator of the show...You'd think something would have leaked out...Before the hack there was a thread talking about how he was involved in the 4kids takeover...Perhaps he got duped, but if he did something would have leaked, cause in these situations something always does, unless "said" person doesn't really care at all...I'm sure there are One Piece fans even more diligent than us that are writing letters directly to Oda or folding paper airplanes throwing them in his direction...telling him about how bad his work has been butchered...To think Oda knows nothing is a huge stretch IMO...
__________________
Fly since ...
wingdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-04, 19:44   Link #68
Chuixupu
Shikachu
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
I never said Oda knows nothing...but I don't think it's really a stretch to think he hasn't seen the English dub. Sure they show Japanese dubs of American shows in Japan, but they don't show English dubs of anime when they have the original airing right there. I don't see what the logic of bringing that up is. The only way Oda would be able to see those English episodes is if someone is sending him DVDs. The guy is awfully busy as it is writing and illustrating a manga, handling business, and living a married life, I don't know if he's got the time to sit and watch the English, Spanish, German, French, Italian, Indonesian, Singaporian and every other dub out there. He most likely leaves most of the business decisions of the anime to Toei and Shueisha...that's their purpose for existing, after all.
Chuixupu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-04, 20:45   Link #69
wingdarkness
Retweet Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ニュー・オーリンズ、LA
Quote:
Sure they show Japanese dubs of American shows in Japan, but they don't show English dubs of anime when they have the original airing right there. I don't see what the logic of bringing that up is.
Yeah I probably should have took that off, but my point was that Cartoon Network exists in Japan and perhaps by word of mouth, phantom e-mailer, cup of coffee with a friend, somebody would have mention it airs on that channel in America thus sparking some sort of reaction from him that we haven't gotten a sliver of...

As for the rest of your post your just going overboard...Yeah he draws manga day and night, but he still has time for some sembelance of a life (Last time I checked being married doesn't mean you can't watch or comment on a 30 minute program you created)....Atleast enuff of a life to at some point have some type of knowledge about 4kids (especially if the rumors are true that he also signed off on the 4kids takeover)...I'm not talking about watching a 30 episode marathon then writing a thesis report on the horrible editing, I'm just saying "Knowing about it"...Saying ONE WORD about it...Having some type of opinion leaked....I'm sure someone at sometime at some place has mentioned something about this to him...He isn't too busy to make a 10 second comment is he? I think you give him too much of a pass on not knowing jack...You act like drawing the manga and married life takes up every single nano-millasecond of everything he's all about...Surely he has time for one comment or one reflection...I'd bet my life on the fact that he's seen the show, furthermore isn't the manga in America changing names of stuff like Zolo and other elements of the manga..Your argument is always he's SOOOO Busy with the manga he doesn't have a clock tick to think about anything else...Surely he knows about the manga changes in America right? If he knows absolutley nothing about nothing about nothing then he's a rare breed indeed, because you hear opinions from other show//manga creators on how their product is being reproduced all the time [and I'm not talking about HUGE reports, just something, anything]...
__________________
Fly since ...
wingdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-04, 22:19   Link #70
Chuixupu
Shikachu
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Jeez, talk about going overboard. XD

Let me quote myself: "I never said Oda knows nothing"

Which you keep assuming I said. All I said is that I doubt he's watched the English dub. Also know that Oda doesn't speak English, so watching the dub wouldn't enlighten him on the horrible dialogue. He would have to happen to watch some of the really badly edited scenes, like Arlong pointing at Bellamere, Luffy being turned upside-down, etc.. He may have heard some feedback from fans. But to what extent, or whether he really cares, nobody knows.
Chuixupu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-04, 22:24   Link #71
wingdarkness
Retweet Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ニュー・オーリンズ、LA
I'm just saying your going overboard in your defense of his ignorance and virtual lack of time in his life to consider any of this...But yeah I went overboard aswell because I just think the guy deserves a little more credit than he's oblivious because he's married and works on the manga alot...
__________________
Fly since ...
wingdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-15, 19:58   Link #72
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: This is FLORIDAAAAAAaaa
Age: 28
Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
Hah, not a big fan of one piece, yet found this quite funny after reading the topic and seeing the hole movement against 4kids (Of which, though not because One Piece, I'm a strong suppoter).

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=145

:P
__________________

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Zero Shinohara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-15, 20:07   Link #73
Illuyankas
I need another drink.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Beer. Boobs. Wait... boobs again.
^win for 10,000th post!

Every time I see that comic, it makes me shudder.
Illuyankas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-15, 20:08   Link #74
Chuixupu
Shikachu
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Yeah, that's a pretty old strip.

And this is an old Flash posted many times but always worth another view.

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/11707485/
Chuixupu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-16, 09:27   Link #75
PigLig
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Arent most of us in here watching the original OP, then why should we care about what 4kids do.
PigLig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-16, 10:55   Link #76
MihawkXGP
Master of The Sword
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by PigLig
Arent most of us in here watching the original OP, then why should we care about what 4kids do.
That is besides the point. OP is an anime we all love. Should we sit back and let them butcher it and ruin what it means to us? Should we allow them to deprive the people who watch this dub of what One Piece really is? Dub simply pales in comparison to the original and that is by Light years.
This monstrosity of a dub should not be allowed to continue, it has tarnished the image of OP, anywhere their version of the dub is shown. It will only kill the popularity then build it.

Last edited by MihawkXGP; 2006-04-16 at 14:40.
MihawkXGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-16, 22:25   Link #77
Crusader
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: North Texas
Send a message via MSN to Crusader
I see nothing wrong with what 4kids is doing. just complaing, honestly everyone here should know the original versions are always better then the dubs. i'm fairly content with whatever anime 4kids puts out. I guess im runnign the 4 kids high, becuase they produce all the animes i watch on regular tv. (not fortunate enough to have cable or satallite) no CN for me. But thats my opnion.
__________________
The times may change, but human nature never will.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-17, 01:28   Link #78
wingdarkness
Retweet Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ニュー・オーリンズ、LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader
I see nothing wrong with what 4kids is doing...

.........................^..........................
__________________
Fly since ...
wingdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-17, 01:56   Link #79
Chuixupu
Shikachu
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader
I see nothing wrong with what 4kids is doing. just complaing, honestly everyone here should know the original versions are always better then the dubs. i'm fairly content with whatever anime 4kids puts out. I guess im runnign the 4 kids high, becuase they produce all the animes i watch on regular tv. (not fortunate enough to have cable or satallite) no CN for me. But thats my opnion.
Wait...have you actually SEEN the originals? My God. If you were eating nothing but Spam you're whole life you might be content...until you try a nice New York Steak.
I actually LIKE lots of anime dubs just as much or better than the original. It's not a matter of taste. The 4Kids dub is so horribly butchered it's not even the same show. One Piece is probably one of the worst dubs EVER in the history of anime and it's a crying shame to be on TV.
Chuixupu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-17, 07:40   Link #80
Pepz
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
One Piece dub is seriously bad for your health.
Pepz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:24.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.