AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Death Note

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-11-04, 09:49   Link #101
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Death Note Movie 2 - The Last Name

Saw the second movie today. All I can say is - Better than the manga. Enough said.

Spoiler for brief ending "The Last Name". You've been warned:

Right now I'm in a hurry, I'll come back and write more.

It was fun while it lasted.
Old 2006-11-04, 10:47   Link #102
musouka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
Saw the second movie today. All I can say is - Better than the manga. Enough said.

Spoiler for brief ending "The Last Name". You've been warned:

Right now I'm in a hurry, I'll come back and write more.
Spoiler for ending spoiler:
Old 2006-11-04, 12:48   Link #103
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Here is a brief synopsis of the second movie. It would help if you have read the manga, as I make a lot of references to it.

Spoiler for "The Last Name" synopsis:

Spoiler for thoughts about ending:

Last edited by Kinny Riddle; 2006-11-04 at 13:23.
Old 2006-11-04, 12:59   Link #104
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

OMG, that ending sounds absolutely awesome. I really cannot wait to see this.
Old 2006-11-04, 13:25   Link #105
Ja-Y-Ce
Earthling

Thanks Kinny Riddle! =) Yup, it definitely sounds good!! Will be waiting for it too. =)
Old 2006-11-04, 14:52   Link #106
RyougaElliot
Dancing Madly

Hey all, just thought I'd drop a review of the first film.

Let me first begin by expressing just how large of a Death Note fan I am. I was introduced to the manga via a friend of mine, who said it had a very psychological approach to the detective genre, and that I would likely enjoy if I gave it a shot. It took me a month before I was bored enough to take her advice and give it a read through. I believe in that span of about two weeks, I devoured the entirety of the series, making it up to chapter 107 the week before the final chapter was put online (108). Death Note, practically overnight, became my favorite manga, and one of the best pieces of thriller writing in comic form that I'd ever come across.

Low and behold, Kaneko is announced to be directing a live action adaptation of the hit series. I won't lie and say I wasn't a tiny bit reluctant after hearing this. I loved many of his scifi and fantasy entries into film, but Azumi 2 left a terrible taste in my mouth. I hoped it was simply a one time thing, and he wouldn't make the same mistake on another well loved license.

Most of the Death Note manga is cerebral. There's a lot of internal dialogue, which doesn't bode well for live action. No one wants to be bogged down watching a guy stand there, with dialogue overlaid his face as he 'thinks'. It's considered a cheap and somewhat corny plot device in film, and I can certainly understand that. There was also a lot of concern over the addition of Light's love interest, Shiori. In the manga he doesn't have a true girlfriend, but instead uses the girls around him for his various agenda's.

I'm happy to report that not only did Shusuke Kaneko hit the ball dead on, but he hit it out the park. As both a fan, and a film lover, I was pleased on every level. I won't give a plot summary, especially since it's complicated enough without my possibly confusing things further, but just trust that it's as twisting and windy as the material it's based on.

Tatsuya Fujiwara once again demonstrates his acting ability here, as the enigmatic, genius, and insane Light Yagami. A character that's very deep in motivations, Fujiwara adds an extra layer by giving him a more human side. He's just slightly less cold and calculating than the manga version, but it's enough to be noticeable, and makes him more relatable. He's still incredibly intelligent and quick on his feet, but here we see that he is human, and not quite a God as he believes himself to be. While Fujiwara doesn't quite resemble Light on a physical level, he manages to launch himself past that and embody the character in full. The small grins, the subtle body movements: it all adds up to create an interesting, if not frightening look into the mind of a man who wants to change the world.

Kenichi Matsuyama plays the awkward, yet brilliant detective L. This was a great concern of many people, especially since the character L has a lot of small, and not so small, quirks that make him who he is. Whether it be the odd way in which he holds his phone, or the strange positions he shifts into while thinking, L is hardly normal as far as film characters go. Matsuyama completely takes L into himself. On a personal level, I don't believe L could have been portrayed better than what we see in the movie. Every small action is there, his voice, his awkward movements and the humor inherent in his personality: nothing is lost in translation. Even on a physical level, the resemblance is near perfect. Matsuyama is L. The perfect example of this, is a scene in which L is talking to Chief Yagami about how Light has a one to three percent chance of being Kira, and as he does so he is stacking pastries onto a stick. He stops for a moment, looks at the chief, grabs another stick of pastries, and hands it to the chief simply saying "Here". The chief grabs it in a puzzled fashion, and passes it on to one of the other investigators. This scene embodies L's haphazard personality and approach to things, and I loved every moment of it.

Ryuk is the other main character of the film that raised a lot of questions. Kaneko opted to have Ryuk be a completely cg character, voiced by none other than Shido Nakamura (Fearless, Yamato, Izo). Kaneko went the correct route, because Ryuk is a fully living character (Or as alive as a Shinigami can be in the first place...). Nakamura plays Ryuk with just the right amount of sarcasm and wit that would be expected of the Death God. As far as the computer animation is concerned, Ryuk is a very lively character, and very impressive considering how often he's on screen. Based entirely on the fact that he's rarely ever off screen for too long, he is quite the showcase for the cg team.

Shiori is a new character added to the film, as Light's girlfriend. Yu Kashii plays Shiori with just enough innocence which makes the film that much more tragic by the end. By having her character juxtapose to Light, we see a very stark contrast, but it also allows Light to be a more real character in his interactions with her, especially at the climax of this first film. Though many were worried about what this would mean for the rest of the movie, the change is for the better, and it allows the film to flow better.

The rest of the actors all do a commendable job, and no performance stood out as anything below par. It'll be interesting to get to know the investigation team more in The Last Name, as well as Misa Misa, who we saw very little of. She does however get a very good setup and lead in to the next film, so I'm looking forward to how Kaneko handled her side of the story. Perhaps most of all, I'm eager to see the interactions between Light and L, something we got very little of in this first film. If the final shots are any indication, this could be quite the ride.

-Elliot
Old 2006-11-04, 15:31   Link #107
myopius

Wow. Thank you so much, KR.

Spoiler for Manga, second movie:

I really, really, really would like to see these subbed.

Edit: Kinny, I was thinking it over, and there's something I don't understand, if you could clarify it.
Spoiler for Second movie:

Last edited by myopius; 2006-11-04 at 23:53.
Old 2006-11-04, 20:55   Link #108
bluemist
i am the mist

Arrgh that's it.... I'm heading to the theater... NOW!

Movie L really rocks!
Old 2006-11-05, 00:30   Link #109
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by myopius View Post
Wow. Thank you so much, KR.
Spoiler for Second movie:
Spoiler for answers:

Last edited by Kinny Riddle; 2006-11-05 at 00:42.
Old 2006-11-05, 08:50   Link #110
Lotiman

I'm still waiting for the second since I just watched the first yesterday. The theater just started to show the first. I'm still not sure when will the second release here in my country.
Old 2006-11-05, 14:25   Link #111
NaOH
火影級 [h o k a g e LvL]

Send a message via AIM to NaOH Send a message via Yahoo to NaOH
zomg the ending sounds good... i wonder if the original author was involve in making this ending?
Old 2006-11-05, 22:06   Link #112
andromeda0201

Really liked the ending of the 2nd movie, now...heres hoping that the anime would change theirs too...lol
Old 2006-11-06, 07:55   Link #113
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

Wow. From that spoiler the movie sounds great and has a great ending to the series!

Question
Spoiler:
Old 2006-11-06, 09:02   Link #114
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningZERO View Post
Wow. From that spoiler the movie sounds great and has a great ending to the series!

Question
Spoiler:
Read my synopsis carefully and you'll find your answer. But I'll answer your question anyway.

Spoiler for answer:

Old 2006-11-06, 12:27   Link #115
^_Usagi_^
BaKa

Quote:
Really liked the ending of the 2nd movie, now...heres hoping that the anime would change theirs too
that would make it really really short :/
Old 2006-11-06, 13:55   Link #116
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Yeah, I want to see the manga fully animated in a faithful manner. But it would be fantastic if they did the movie ending as an OVA or something. That would be a great extra.
Old 2006-11-07, 03:14   Link #117
AK-kun
Made of Singapore and Win

Send a message via AIM to AK-kun Send a message via MSN to AK-kun
Meh. I need to wait quite a bit before the second movie comes out.

Spoiler:
Old 2006-11-07, 05:55   Link #118
bluemist
i am the mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-kun View Post
Meh. I need to wait quite a bit before the second movie comes out.

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

The live action movies really owns to L all the way. The audience proves it. Everytime the L guy does something kinky (like wearing a weird mask, eating odd sweets, and doing a thumbs-up) every girl in the theater screams "kawaii!!".
Old 2006-11-07, 17:45   Link #119
Guido

On last weekend Death Note: The Last Name topped #1 in the box office at Japanese cinemas, pushing down Cat's Eye and Flags of Our Fathers to the second and third positions.

Source. http://www.cinemanavi.co.jp/info/last.html
Old 2006-11-08, 04:53   Link #120
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

Anyone feels that the Death Note (the first) movie's background music is not relly that nice? And when a scene needs some dramatic music, there's none. Example is when Light reveals his secret plan in the end, I was expecting some dramatic music, but...nope
Closed Thread