AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-04-19, 18:53   Link #61
thomasvye
Delurking...

I still think Michel is a boy too; the stills from episode 4 have gone up on the show's website, and Michel is wearing just a shirt in one of them; if that's a female character, she's flat as a board, thus violating every anime rule ever. ^-^

Now, if I could just *find* episode 3 to watch, I'd be happy.
thomasvye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-20, 10:51   Link #62
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Man, animation on this stuff is becoming crappier and crappier every single time. I can't stand it any longer, please, someone, kill me...

We have an OP with ep. 3. I didn't care much for it, but it was a listenable fusion of rap and j-rock. Nothing special in the animation department either.

The episode is rather boring, but the ending sort of brings the RABURABU triangle of Betty, Michelle and Cleo together. That was pretty much the only exciting thing about the episode.

Man, why am I wasting time on this? It's not like it's bad, but it's lightyears away from being good.

Nothing to see here. Move along...

Last edited by MrProphet; 2006-04-20 at 12:22.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-20, 13:12   Link #63
thomasvye
Delurking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet
Man, animation on this stuff is becoming crappier and crappier every single time. I can't stand it any longer, please, someone, kill me...

We have an OP with ep. 3. I didn't care much for it, but it was a listenable fusion of rap and j-rock. Nothing special in the animation department either.

The episode is rather boring, but the ending sort of brings the RABURABU triangle of Betty, Michelle and Cleo together. That was pretty much the only exciting thing about the episode.

Man, why am I wasting time on this? It's not like it's bad, but it's lightyears away from being good.

Nothing to see here. Move along...
*nod* Yes, please move along. There's no point in you being here if you have nothing nice to say.
Old 2006-04-20, 16:36   Link #64
RobertM
Kobe, not Osaka...

Yes, I now definitely think Michel is a guy, or at least a woman disguised as a guy so that everyone around her thinks she is a man. As was mentioned earlier, Cleo called him a "bocchan" (priviledged boy) and in the first episode, the commander of the attacking fleet mentioned that he was an "otoko" (man.) For some reason, he seems more obviously male than female in the third episode than in the earlier ones. He belongs to the long tradition of androgynous bishounen, although he isn't drawn very beautifully (i.e. bish-like) in the actual show. The whole show is a marriage of LoGH and Rose of Versailles, so he is this show's Oscar, with or without the gender switch.

Despite all the uneven art, I am enjoying this show. It is seriously warped.

If you can read Japanese, see this blog of a Japanese fangirl's confusion about Michel's gender. She puts it better than I ever could.
http://ampn.blog55.fc2.com/blog-entry-16.html

Last edited by RobertM; 2006-04-20 at 18:05.
RobertM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-20, 19:06   Link #65
thomasvye
Delurking...

My thoughts on Ep 3, now I finally got to see it and settle down to write something!

Spoiler:
Old 2006-04-22, 17:45   Link #66
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasvye
*nod* Yes, please move along. There's no point in you being here if you have nothing nice to say.
Come now, we all are entitled to air our dissapointment and incredularity at this train wreck. However I'll try to be optimistic...

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

On the positive side the snow was well animated. Yeah, good snow. Really good snow. If you want to see good snow, watch this episode.
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-22, 17:53   Link #67
thomasvye
Delurking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex
Come now, we all are entitled to air our dissapointment and incredularity at this train wreck. However I'll try to be optimistic....
*shrug* I am not known for being especially thick skinned and people using phrases like 'train wreck' and 'boring' and 'crappy' for something I am thoroughly enjoying is a little depressing. I repeat; if you have nothing nice to say, it is pleasant not to say anything at all, out of consideration for the people who see nothing wrong with the show. After all, it is not as if phrases such as the quoted ones can even be considered constructive.

It comes down to taste, and if you don't like the show, you might as well leave the thread, as there is no point to being here really.
Old 2006-04-22, 18:11   Link #68
BluWacky
尻の竜

Quote:
*shrug* I am not known for being especially thick skinned and people using phrases like 'train wreck' and 'boring' and 'crappy' for something I am thoroughly enjoying is a little depressing. I repeat; if you have nothing nice to say, it is pleasant not to say anything at all, out of consideration for the people who see nothing wrong with the show. After all, it is not as if phrases such as the quoted ones can even be considered constructive.

It comes down to taste, and if you don't like the show, you might as well leave the thread, as there is no point to being here really.
The problem is, until/unless this show gets subbed we're the only ones keeping it alive; Garakan needs all the publicity it can get (it hasn't even got an entry on ANN's encyclopaedia yet!)

Aside from the absymal animation (it's not cheapness and it's not a LACK of animation, it's just what's there is badly drawn; it feels like constant yashigani. I've come to think that the characters aren't off-model, it's more that the models are really, really inept), the show isn't actually that bad IMO; I quite enjoyed episode 3 because it laid some interesting foundations with the prophet and some character relationship stuff (I haven't rewatched with the dictionary to hand yet, and I watched it a few days ago so don't remember it all that well!) even if the writing is pretty clunky. But I think it's worth talking about the negative aspects of the show as well; if anything, it says something that MrProphet and Sonhex are still watching it despite the flaws they see in it!

Keep the ZOMGPIRATES! out of the script and focus on Cleo, Michelle and Betty (and freaky prophet woman! She's cool, even if she has no animation whatsoever and a hilarious obaa-san voice) and I could really get to liking this show a lot more.
BluWacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-22, 18:32   Link #69
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Well Bluwacky is right. Despite it's flaws I for one still find it watchable. Actually Ep.3 was an improvement on the previous two, especially in the humour and direction. The animation is poor though, even for Gonzo; no-one can deny that. I am looking forward to Ep.4 having seen the preview.

Quote:

Okay, 'train wreck' was a bit harsh. No offence was intended.
Old 2006-04-22, 18:42   Link #70
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Well, I am rooting for this show to be great, but every episode just disappoints me...

It's not really the plot or animation (which I am already taking for granted)... But the character interaction, the characters themselves, the subtle gestures, expressions, looks...

Everthing is just so mediocre. And not in the meaning of "so-so", but really mediocre. As if they took all anime in existance, picked the most used, the most common, the most cliche, the most been-there-done-that gags and jokes and gestures and plot twists... and put it in Garakan.

That's why I feel it's bad. Every time they do something I've seen and hated over a thousand times, I simply cringe. In form and substance it just feels like a combination of every other regular anime. I don't mean the plot, but rather the way characters act, move, react to other character, what kind of movements they make, what kind of facial expressions they make, it all just feels so unoriginal. And it's not just originality, it's that there small things were tiresome in the original shows as well...

Of course, this isn't ALL Garakan is, and that's the only reason why I keep watching this. There is interesting stuff: the prophet, the triangle, the battles, the plot. Even small things like the religion local people practice and how they are forbidden from stepping on dry land - it's just interesting and adds a lot to my enjoyment of any given episode.

But there is just so little of the good stuff and so much of the bad stuff. Ah, it's exasperating... 8(
Old 2006-04-24, 17:11   Link #71
sukreih
okusenman!okusenman!

dunno it looked quite obvious to me from the first place that Michel is a woman in man's disguise.Don't ask me exactly where I got these assumptions,but it somehow looked so,so soso obvious.(to me at least)
Of course,it would be quite intersting if Michel is actually a guy,after giving me all those 'it's so obvious!' assumptions.Til that point I'm gonna stick to the Lady Oscar theory.
sukreih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-25, 03:09   Link #72
Schneizel
fanatical racism moe
*Fansubber

Just want to inform you that it is getting subbed... albeit slowly... my group is probably going to start having some huge debate over Michèle (female) or Michel (male) for our genderless friend...

As for personal opinions, I consider it to be very much like Aquarion because I like... laugh at stuff that happens in it continuously. Especially the Opening sequence in episode 3...
Schneizel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-26, 14:27   Link #73
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Spoiler for episode 4 and exploding shirts:

This episode went some way to making up for the last three. It was a considerable improvement in terms of animation (even if it was inconsistent with the previous eps which is typical of Satelight it seems). I hope it stays that way because it was great to see a hint of what Glass Fleet should be like...
Old 2006-04-26, 19:27   Link #74
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Well, that was somewhat better than the last 3 episodes. And when I say "better", I mean it was the freaking best episode so far. It's still nowhere near even the top 10 series this season, but with episodes like that, Glass Fleet slowly makes its way upwards.

Spoiler for ep. 4:

So, yeah, that was good. It's wasn't "good good", but it was certainly "Glass Fleet-level good". Lets hope next episode is something on that level, or better.
Old 2006-04-26, 22:34   Link #75
RobertM
Kobe, not Osaka...

Rambling post: I enjoyed episode 4 very much. (Honestly though, I don't think the animation is getting any better. We're just seeing more movement.)
Spoiler:

Last edited by RobertM; 2006-04-26 at 23:18.
RobertM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-27, 07:49   Link #76
thomasvye
Delurking...

Ep 4! That was absolutely utterly great! The best so far! ^-^ I watched it on the train on the way to work this morning - so much action goodness! (People were watching over my shoulder - they got no sound, ha ha!)

Spoiler:

... that was so great!
Old 2006-04-27, 09:45   Link #77
DaFool
Resident devil

You know, that 'exploding shirts' comment got me to start downloading episode 4...and I ain't even a fangirl.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-29, 02:51   Link #78
Schneizel
fanatical racism moe
*Fansubber

The staff of gg has decided upon the following decision until we recieve 100% proof Michel/le is either male or female.

Quote:
Because of the confusing debates over whether the main character is a male or female, we have included a “female names” track and a “male names” track in both .ass and .srt for mplayer users. The female track includes the names “Betty, Michelle, and Cleo” and the male names track includes the names “Vetti, Michel, and Creo.” The male tracks is the default setting.
Enjoy.
Schneizel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-29, 06:25   Link #79
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Public service statement: You should not use Windows Media Player 10 for playing gg's fansubs of this, since they're anamorphic. If you try, it either won't play at all, or it will play with the wrong aspect ratio.

More information about this can be found at the following links:
http://www.cccp-project.net/phpbb2/v...hp?p=1923#1923
http://www.cccp-project.net/phpbb2/v...hp?p=1919#1919

Note that with the latest CCCP, it will play, but at the wrong aspect ratio.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-29, 06:44   Link #80
Friera

Send a message via MSN to Friera
Yeah! Episode 1 has been released by GG fansub.
Friera is offline   Reply With Quote