AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Shuffle!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-03-19, 20:15   Link #1
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Best Confession

I've been rewatching Shuffle! this last week or so. I didn't notice the first time through, but there's a large number of top notch confession scenes in the series.
I think my personal favorite is Sia's, the storyboarding done in that scene was topnotch with the wind kicking up and the flower petals everywhere. The music was perfect as well. I rarely care that much about confessions at all except how they advance the plot or they affect the characters, but I have to admit that moment when Rin rejects her brought a lump to my throat.

So, what was yours?
And in case the intent of the thread isn't obvious, please leave your flamethrowers someplace else.
Old 2006-03-19, 21:26   Link #2
Winter&Summer
Sugar has side effects

Send a message via MSN to Winter&Summer
Well mine would have to be Umm well all of them
Old 2006-03-19, 21:26   Link #3
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I think mine was all the "little" confessions Nerine made ending up with what basically amounted to her "rejection" of Rin (meaning she wasn't ready to settle down yet and wanted to explore this new world).

That said.... Sia's was pretty hard (her second confession) since she's the one girl we actually got to *see* her efforts and the crash'n'burn sequence when her sister took the helm.

The others were pretty ... unique .... Kaede's panic attack in the dark, etc. Only Sia and Nerine really had a traditional confession of a sort (imo, of course).
Old 2006-03-19, 21:34   Link #4
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Yeah, i agree with Vexx.. Sia & Nerine mainly only had confession's - still they were pretty amazing.

That said, Kaede mini' one broke my heart in so many peices.. mainly the whole Kaede arc did. ;_;
Old 2006-03-19, 23:42   Link #5
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
I think mine was all the "little" confessions Nerine made ending up with what basically amounted to her "rejection" of Rin (meaning she wasn't ready to settle down yet and wanted to explore this new world).
I'm not really sure where this even comes from. She's clearly still interested in the last episode and all episodes before. It's true she picked up a hobby and some friends, but I think you're reading a lot of intent into a little action. Really, this is the one series where I fail to see why most of the other girls should give up on Rin just because he's with Asa. Sia was fine sharing him with Nerine and Kaede, Nerine was fine with sharing him with at least Sia, why should the addition of Asa upset that balance? Now Asa may not be fine with it, but it would seem to me that it would be hard for Sia and Nerine to wrap their minds around the notion that she would reject the polygamy option (Kareha obviously doesn't quite get Asa's objection to it, and she was raised in the same culture as Sia.). But this is all off-topic and should really be taken to another thread.

Well, I'm quickly browsing through the episodes, and I'm getting the following confessions. I'm not precisely sure what a "mini-confession" is, I'm assuming it's when you all but say it, and I'm not really counting those. Of the "mini-confessions" I actually think Asa's are the cutest, though Kaede's is the most heart-wrenching (the one in the bed, though the one in episode 1 where she says that her father is looking out for her future just fine is also very cute).

Sia first in Episode 10 (at approximately 21:40)
Nerine in Episode 15 (at approximately 21:10, this is also a very good one. The song is very touching.)
Sia again in episode 17 (this is the one I was talking about, at approximately 21:20, though I just realized this is the same song as in the Nerine confession. Maybe it's the rejection song)
Kaede in episode 21 (at approximately 17:20, in the rain. Though she says it knowing she's already been rejected. I don't like the song in this one as much, but the rain adds a certain emotional impact)
Rin to Asa in episode 21 (at approximately 20:45)

That's five (I'm pretty sure there's an Asa one somewhere too, but I can't actually find it). Five confessions in a series seems to me to be pretty normal, and enough that someone could form an opinion on them. In 23 episodes of Canvas 2 there's been 5 that I can remember (Kirie to Hiroki in the past, Kirie to Hiroki in the present, Ellis to Hiroki, Shota to Ellis, and what's-his-name to Kirie).
Old 2006-03-20, 00:40   Link #6
peterchen620
Kaede's Fanatic

I tend to find Kaede's confession rather err... Romantic Even though the dull color of the scene, I'll always love her XD!
Old 2006-03-22, 08:49   Link #7
Tsuchimi Rin

I like all little and big confessions in shuffle
Old 2006-03-22, 09:41   Link #8
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Need I even say

Ok, just because newbies might read the thread

Kaede rules
And second would be Sia. Poor Sia

And let's not forget Kaede's naked scene (which IS essentially a confession )

Last edited by npal; 2006-03-22 at 09:54.
Old 2006-03-22, 10:54   Link #9
RedFrame
A talking white tiger :O
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to RedFrame
Kaede confession is the best. During the rain scene ,Kaede said " Please dont love me " but the truth is is she mean " Please love me".Somewhat similiar to someone leaving a note "please dont search for me" but actually he want people to search for him.

Old 2006-03-22, 11:04   Link #10
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Yeah, the best confessions got pretty negative results, while that greenie thingie that didn't even bother to confess ended getting Rin. But since Rin's an idiot, it doesn't really count
Old 2006-03-22, 12:01   Link #11
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

argh... just saw rooboy's post .... gathering data for my take on it.

OK: now that I've spent my entire lunch hour, browsing the episodes:
yeah, maybe "rejection" is a bit strong ... but Nerine comes the closest to saying as much. She's satisified her obligation to Lycoris and wants to explore this new world -- she has love for Rin, but she clearly isn't just standing around. And yes, since Sia, Nerine (and Kareha to some unknown extent) are comfortable with polygamy, Asa better get used to the idea otherwise "light hearted comedy" cannot realistically follow in any sequel.

As far as confessions, I could argue that every time Nerine opens her mouth, the signal is "omg, Rin, I love you, bonk me" but to be more specific about what I'd call "mini-confessions":
ep 4 - taking out the garbage conversation "pure bliss"; that dialog and eye contact that annoyed Mayumi so much after the office visit; Nerine asking if she may love Rin more and more; later saying she'd blow the school up for Rin aka "I'd do anything for Rin".
ep 8 - clothing sale she stated "I belong to Rin-sama alone" (of course, the followup "threesome" remark that floored Itsuki made the series for me).
ep 11 - (random aside: Mayumi can't believe *anyone* would like Rin ... heh!)
several eps - her often present "I love Rin" button...
ep 15 - the "big" confession and yet ..... she defers saying she's not ready, just letting him know that Lycoris no longer drives her but that her emotions are her own, she does love him but she's on a quest for her own self now. All she asks is that he "listen to her song" when she's ready.
In effect, confessing and "rejecting"(ok, deferring). She's already figured out the Asa-Rin connection and that she probably won't be #1.

postnote: I tend to think of Nerine as a shy, "backofthecrowd" girl but reviewing the episodes ---- she was upfront about her feelings the entire way and watching Rin balk at the force of her feelings is kind of amazing. Of course, most of us feel Rin is kind of amazing -- in a Not Good way.
They all "still love Rin" but Nerine appears to be the only one not hanging out in the waiting room for his next glance (though Sia is envious of Nerine's new motivation and may branch out --- especially if we take the end credits seriously).

postpostnote on series:
Up to after ep 15, I found the show fairly humorous and when dramatic, somewhat compelling. Rin even made sense most of the time. After that, the Kaede arc (which includes Kaede's reaction to Asa trampling her on the way to Rin) was extremely compelling but almost like from a different series.... remember that Asa herself admits she's a monster to Kaede before you get too excited. After the trainwreck of Asa's arc (note that I"m not really anti-Asa so much as I thought they wrote the transition from Kaede to Asa and then Asa's part just really really pathetically), the last episode was a lame "throw the warp drive in reverse" attempt to return to light hearted comedy (which REALLY made the Kaede-Asa relationship look psychotic).

Much as I liked the Kaede arc's riveting tragedy --- they should have taken a full extra episode to resolve in a manner that respected her character more and really emphasized Asa's contriteness and feelings for Kaede. I mean, cripes, Asa was a big sister / close friend of Kaede's for years.
And completely rewritten Asa's arc so that her and Rin made some marginal bit of sense in making the choices they made. (I'm ignoring the choose-a-different-girl option --- might as well start insisting Merry have gone to Mt. Doom with Frodo --- but assuming Asa is endgame, how to write it so it makes sense).

postnote on translation:
I developed a love-hate relationship with the translation by AnimeU .... In some respects, they really helped the dialog with the "spirit" of the banter, but often they just got the intent flat wrong .... the translation of Mayumi's "Rin's Lovers" remark into "Rin's Sweethearts" goes against the intent of the scene and every translation of the words I've looked up. Many of Nerine's lines I note were specifically mangled: "may I love you more and more?" into "may I get closer to you?" ... eh? I know translation and editing is an artform but "speed of release" was not their friend here... really too bad because many of their translations were very funny/good (Itsuki: "She's got you busted in bust size").

Last edited by Vexx; 2006-03-22 at 16:22.
Old 2006-03-23, 06:44   Link #12
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Pre-skitzo mode, Sia had the realest confession...
Old 2006-03-23, 08:32   Link #13
peterchen620
Kaede's Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFrame
Kaede confession is the best. During the rain scene ,Kaede said " Please dont love me " but the truth is is she mean " Please love me".Somewhat similiar to someone leaving a note "please dont search for me" but actually he want people to search for him.
Yes... the contrast of the phrase is a really effective way of attracting an educated person. *Rolleyes @ Rin* Rin's a retard.
Old 2006-03-23, 09:09   Link #14
Sian
Kozukuri Shimasho

vexx: and if Keade fans (specially) would get out of the selfdenying world they would see that allso a lot of Asa fans saw the transistion from Keade to Asa and most of Asa as ... to say it mild ... not that good ... we're off couse happy of the basic story but largely unhappy when it gets to the way it was arranged ... it could be done much better by just taking those 2 extra eps (making it a 26ep) and use one more in Keades and one thats spilted between the transition and Asa ... and give Asa a decent reason of denying ... then there would be no more problems

hmm ... sidetracking

best confession ... hmmm ... may i be blunt and say the one Asa throws off in ep 7 ageinst a unaware Rin
Old 2006-03-23, 09:23   Link #15
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

A lot??? Have you actually READ any opposing arguments about that? I have yet to see more than... hm.. what, three Asa fans saying that the transition was weak and Asa's reasoning weaker. Out of 100+ fans, less than 5? How's that a lot?

Oh that? Then I guess Kareha's was more successful (against an unsuspecting Asa, regarding Rin )
Old 2006-03-23, 09:35   Link #16
Last_Hope
System/Web developer

Well personally I would prefer if my girlfriend confessed to me the Kaede-way.

Want to know who did this kickass sig? Just click it!
Old 2006-03-23, 11:06   Link #17
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last_Hope
Well personally I would prefer if my girlfriend confessed to me the Kaede-way.
Eh... That's a bit too straightforward and somewhat desperate. Sure I think it's one of the best I've seen but it's not for me. I mean... I'm not a TOTAL moron (like Rin) to warrant THAT kind of confession. I suppose a Sia-style date and confession would be ok for me But I still think Kaede's was the best
Old 2006-03-23, 12:08   Link #18
Sian
Kozukuri Shimasho

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal
A lot??? Have you actually READ any opposing arguments about that? I have yet to see more than... hm.. what, three Asa fans saying that the transition was weak and Asa's reasoning weaker. Out of 100+ fans, less than 5? How's that a lot?
now ... there is quite some way from saying that it wasn't as good 'played' as the rest of the series to that it was flat out weak ... (eventhough it imo was somewhat weak)

*packs away miniflamethrower*
Old 2006-03-23, 12:39   Link #19
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilen
now ... there is quite some way from saying that it wasn't as good 'played' as the rest of the series to that it was flat out weak ... (even though it imo was somewhat weak)

*packs away miniflamethrower*
Big

Saying "as good 'played' " means that it was played somewhat decently, but most of the other parties agree that the reasoning behind that scene was weak, mainly due to Kaede, who was totally out of character, like the previous 20 episodes never happened. Not to speak about Asa's reasoning on the matter:

Kaede-Asa scene : Asa admits in tears she acted very badly ("monster" quote).
Rin-Asa scene later in the same episode : *kiss*

And this brings to mind something like:
*drives sword through heart*
*in tears* I'm so sorry I had to kill you, I'm such a monster...
*thinks* oh pity, one down... Let's go get our bloodstained prize now, weee.

Or something like:
-I'm so sorry I'm hurting you.
-Really?
-Yes*crying*. But I'm not gonna stop now... (Boohoohoo)

Who, in his right state of mind, perceives this as OK?
And moreso when the other person actually replies something like: "Yeah, that's ok I guess, we're friends after all, who cares if you're BB (backstabbing bastard), be sure to be more cunning and hurt me a lot more next time, nee?"

The tomb of trust and reason.

Now I KNOW what the writers had in mind, but that doesn't excuse the fact that the way it was delivered was so weak that it felt like the above.

To get back on topic, has Primula confessed to Rin or is she the only one left out?
Old 2006-03-23, 13:48   Link #20
Sian
Kozukuri Shimasho

well ... i would say that the the one primula made when she met Rin for the first time and started to stick to him like glue (and getting the pun lolipedo-fin born when itsuki saw it) would count
Closed Thread