AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2006-03-22, 00:31   Link #1
Yiannakis50

A Bit Of Your Time Please!

Hi! Folks and thanks for taking the time to read this.....
I've been experiencing some small issues with my Azureus Downloading Speed for quite some time now and have concluded that its time to ask the experts .
I’ve read several thread’s such as
Sins Ultimate Download Guide with Azureus
Azureus Questions &
Other small threats relating to Bittorrent Issues

My Azureus v2.2.02 runs on the following system:
AMD Venice 3200+ with
1.0 GB of Ram on
Windows XP Professional with SP2 through a
Hub connected to an
NetComm NB1300 Plus4 ADSL modem with an interned connection of
1.5M/bs / 256K/bs

What I have tried and am aware of with Azurues:
Port forwarding – I have forwarded the ports that Azurues uses on my router
Nat – I have passed the Nat
Firewall – I have switched it both on/off but speed doesn’t change
Router – I have hooked up my computer directly to the router but there is no change
Azureus Upload Speed – I have set my upload speed to 28K/bs (max 32K/bs) but still no increase.

The conclusion:
My connection allows me to Download at a max of 180k/bs but that never happens because of phone line issues and the distance the signal travels, so I reach speeds of 150k/bs easy with Azureus 2.2.0.2, e.g. when I download “Bleach” an episode will take roughly 30-40 minutes. Now here is where my problem arises, right now I am downloading a torrent which has 15000 peers, 580 of which I am connected to and 90 seeds which only 10 I am connected to my current download speed from that torrent for the past 7 hours has been fluctuating between 0-15k/bs, if I increase my upload from anything else above 5kbs up to my max (32k/bs) my download speed reaches 0k/bs. Also the health bar is always green “means that everything is going fine”

Questions Posed to the experts  :
Any suggestions regarding the above, how can I solve such problem?
On a side note my router only allows me to forward ports individually I cant forward a whole range e.g. from 1000-3200, I hafta assign each one individually to my IP, e.g. 1000, 1001, 1002…….3200, but! Even if I did forward a large range Azurues always ends up asking for one, but may these be the cause of the problem?
Is it possible that the torrent I am using is incompatible with my port? But if that was the case the DL speed would always remain 0k/bs.

Thanks for your help, appreciate it
Yiannakis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-22, 03:29   Link #2
sophismata
いいえ

Okay, I think I can give you a hand...

Firstly there are some things to be aware of.

Azereus, in its latest incarnations at least, only uses one TCP port, and uses the UDP version of this soley for its DHT program, which shouldn't affect the speed of your download unless the tracker is down.

So, basically, you only need to forward the one port. I'm fairly sure it's possible to deal with ranges by changing the router's virtual server information, but it's not necessary, and from looking at the NB1300 manual, a real pain to do.

Secondly, the fact that you have that green face means that, as far as the technical details are concerned, everything is OK; you are sending and receiving packets on the correct ports (you've set up your router correctly), as well as DHT information.

In an ideal world, the problem with your download would be torrent-based, but with 90 seeds and 10 connections, you should be getting more than 15KB/s.

Thus, there are two possible problems you may be experiencing, as far as I can tell.

1) Your ISP may be limiting and/or blocking BitTorrent traffic. The oddity with increasing your upload limit supports this. Try changing the port you are using to something in the 50295+ range. See the Azereus wiki for details there.

2) Azureus is slow. Well, it's slow for me, and it may just be acting slow for you, too. Download uTorrent and try setting it up. You may notice an improvement, and uTorrent itself has a tiny footprint (small download, small memory usage).

Aside from that, I'm not sure what else you could try, aside from other torrents. But, like I said, it sounds like a torrent-independant problem to me.
sophismata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-22, 14:00   Link #3
Sofu
Cheeky Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiannakis50
The conclusion:
My connection allows me to Download at a max of 180k/bs but that never happens because of phone line issues and the distance the signal travels, so I reach speeds of 150k/bs easy with Azureus 2.2.0.2, e.g. when I download “Bleach” an episode will take roughly 30-40 minutes. Now here is where my problem arises,right now I am downloading a torrent which has 15000 peers, 580 of which I am connected to and 90 seeds which only 10 I am connected to my current download speed from that torrent for the past 7 hours has been fluctuating between 0-15k/bs, if I increase my upload from anything else above 5kbs up to my max (32k/bs) my download speed reaches 0k/bs. Also the health bar is always green “means that everything is going fine”
Okay, lots to talk about here, and I have to disagree with sophismata on some points. If you don't want to read all the way through, just skip to my summary (last paragraph).

First off, you're on a torrent with a ton of peers (~15000) and only a few seeds (~90). That implies there are very few full copies available, so the swarm is going to be slow. Bandwidth is getting spread really thin as everyone wants a lot of the same pieces. That'll change as the file becomes better distributed and especially once the seed/peer ratio improves. I'll bet a month of my own bandwidth this is the "problem" you're experiencing.

Second, the more peers you are connected to, the more overhead you have to deal with, which can eat into your data transfer speeds. It's not usually a lot, but with as many peers as you're connected to, that could make a difference. You really don't need to be connected to more than 100 on any given torrent, and if you would upgrade to the latest version of Azureus (2402 has a lot of very useful improvements, so you really should), you'd probably only need about 50 or so. I'm not joking.

Third, as sophismata has pointed out, you're getting green smileys, so you shouldn't have to worry about that. You only need one port open with Azureus, and you've got it configured correctly. Now some trackers require using a non-standard port. I'm not exactly sure what happens if you're in a range the tracker doesn't like, but I'd guess you wouldn't be able to connect to anyone. I haven't used any of the standard ports in ages, though, so I don't know for certain.

Fourth, I doubt it's your ISP. You were getting good speeds on the Bleach torrents. If your ISP were the problem, you'd get slow speeds across the board.

Last, Azureus is not slow if you've done a decent job configuring it. (Same can be said of just about any client.) Again, your Bleach downloads are plenty fast, which proves my point.

Summary:
It's the torrent, though your usage suggests to me that you would also benefit from reading the wiki. Updating Azureus wouldn't be a bad idea, either.
Sofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-24, 22:31   Link #4
Yiannakis50

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophismata

1) Your ISP may be limiting and/or blocking BitTorrent traffic. The oddity with increasing your upload limit supports this. Try changing the port you are using to something in the 50295+ range. See Azereus wiki for details there.

2) Azureus is slow. Well, it's slow for me, and it may just be acting slow for you, too. Download uTorrent and try setting it up. You may notice an improvement, and uTorrent itself has a tiny footprint (small download, small memory usage).

Aside from that, I'm not sure what else you could try, aside from other torrents. But, like I said, it sounds like a torrent-independant problem to me.
Hey Sophismata
Thanks for the reply appreciate your help, I attempted downloading uTorrent, I set it up with the right port and everything so I left it on running along with Azureus and compared the number of peers and seed each detected, unfortunately uTorrent had less. I also didn’t get a constantly high speed from it either, but that maybe cause of the fact it did not connect to a reasonable amount of peers. So I left it on for about 8 hours, but still the % it had accomplished was a bit higher than Azureus. I didn’t try changing the port to 50000 range I am still using one in the 6000 range, and no its no the default Azureus one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofu
First off, you're on a torrent with a ton of peers (~15000) and only a few seeds (~90). That implies there are very few full copies available, so the swarm is going to be slow. Bandwidth is getting spread really thin as everyone wants a lot of the same pieces. That'll change as the file becomes better distributed and especially once the seed/peer ratio improves. I'll bet a month of my own bandwidth this is the "problem" you're experiencing.

Second, the more peers you are connected to, the more overhead you have to deal with, which can eat into your data transfer speeds. It's not usually a lot, but with as many peers as you're connected to, that could make a difference. You really don't need to be connected to more than 100 on any given torrent, and if you would upgrade to the latest version of Azureus (2402 has a lot of very useful improvements, so you really should), you'd probably only need about 50 or so. I'm not joking.

Third, as sophismata has pointed out, you're getting green smileys, so you shouldn't have to worry about that. You only need one port open with Azureus, and you've got it configured correctly. Now some trackers require using a non-standard port. I'm not exactly sure what happens if you're in a range the tracker doesn't like, but I'd guess you wouldn't be able to connect to anyone. I haven't used any of the standard ports in ages, though, so I don't know for certain.
Thanks for the reply Sofu, right now there are 1200 seeds in which 40 I am connected to and 17000 peers in which 300 I am connected to, as you can see more people have obtained the file but my speed is still in the low, (15kb/s max), I also updated to the latest Azureus version, which raises a question I had heard that the upload using Azureus is proportional to the download, so the higher you upload the more your allowed to download, I haven’t seen a difference between changing my upload from 5kb/s to my max, my download still remains the same. Now as for the port, I’ve already mentioned it above but I doubt it.
Yiannakis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-25, 00:45   Link #5
ImperialPanda

Have you tried powercycling your router/modem?

I have this crappy d-link at home and it loves to die on me, especially when I make a lot of connections.
ImperialPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-25, 01:19   Link #6
Sofu
Cheeky Cat

First, regarding the upload/download rates in Azureus. As long as you're uploading faster than 4KB/s (IIRC), Azureus won't automatically limit your download speed. Beyond that, Azureus has improved it's ability to find good peers, but overall, it's still the same basic idea behind any decent bittorrent client: the more you share, the more you get. Don't spread your upload bandwidth among too many peers (or you'll get snubbed a lot), and make sure to upload as much as possible. If nothing else, it's good for your karma.

Moving on, 1200 seeds to 17000 peers is about a 1:14 ratio, so speeds are going to remain slow. Further, considering how long its been since you first posted about this torrent, for it to only have gained a little over 1100 seeds while increasing the number of peers by 2000 means either it's a very large file or there's just not a lot of bandwidth to go around. Assuming you're talking about a standard anime episode of approx 175-230MB, then my bet's on the bandwidth, in which case, the speeds you're seeing are about what I would expect given the circumstances. It's quite likely that nearly everyone else on the torrent is seeing the same. You might stop it for a while and come back after things have improved. This has the added benefit of allowing you to download something else while you're waiting.

For a quick and dirty explanation on swarm dynamics and how they affect speed, read the spoiler in this post:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...63&postcount=2

One thing I didn't mention in that post is that if the pieces you need aren't distributed very well, then you're stuck waiting for them to propogate through the swarm. This can slow things down tremendously.
Sofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-25, 01:35   Link #7
sophismata
いいえ

Low on time, was gonna add more, but here goes:

Sofu's right, I was looking at absolutes and not at ratios - most torrents I download are not too popular and thus 90 or more seeds for me guarantees a high download...

However, give me a link to the torrent you're trying and I'll see what speed I get next time I'm here. This has got me curious, since your manner and language implies a degree of intelligence that is able to deal with concepts such as port forwarding.

However, if all else fails, I do suggest changing your port; ISP's have been known to throttle BT data.
sophismata is offline   Reply With Quote