AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shana

Notices

Old 2007-10-10, 06:09   Link #181
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv150
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
Yes, the movie comes with a DVD special.
I would suggest you to check this post, summarying the various bonus and such. (Shana-tan episode, making of, etc)
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=134
Old 2007-10-13, 01:43   Link #182
kimchipride
Geass User

Does the XviD by SS-Ellipse have subs? I wasted my time downloading h264 and it ended up having no subs.
kimchipride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-13, 01:50   Link #183
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchipride View Post
Does the XviD by SS-Ellipse have subs? I wasted my time downloading h264 and it ended up having no subs.
It's an issue on your computer, and not with the file, as the H.264 version does have subs. I recommend the Playback Help forum for some guidance.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-13, 05:28   Link #184
holyman282
Snape: "I hate Potter!"

Quote:
If you are still having troubles with the h264 then I advise you download the avi which is always harsubbed. The mkv format of h264 is merely a container and I believe the subs and video are individual from each other and merely played simultaneously when you play the whole mkv file.

If the issue is with the codec then i advise you get the combined codecs pack to play most videos. If you already have that then make sure your you've turned the sub on.. Right click on the green arrow in your systems tray, when you are playing it and there should be the option of english subs...

If that doesn't work then yea go to the link relentless provided..
Old 2007-10-13, 06:45   Link #185
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Finally took the time to watch the movie.

As a novel reader, YES! This is how Shakugan no Shana should have been made. Faithful and true to the Shana-verse that author Takahashi has envisioned.

Novel Shana has an air of maturity and insecurity combined, while anime Shana is mostly insecure. The movie has given us back our Shana.

In the anime, Margery and Marco's introduction seemed forced (because she wasn't suppose to appear until later) and her presence looked irrelevant in the fight against Friagne, no such problem exists here. By taking Rami out of the equation, the character dynamic between them and Shana changes considerably. It was refreshing to see them working together and Margery's presence this time did not look out of place.

Yuji was now even more useful as the mysterious Mistes than he was in the anime, again, restoring his "usefulness" as mentioned in the novel.

A sad insert song for the real Hirai Yukari's demise. But it was cool seeing her image in Yoshida's photo being replaced by that of Shana. Speaking of Yoshida, she did get some scenes, but overall, her role is relatively small in this story. Sato and Tanaka (and Ogata) didn't even have speaking roles, but that's expected.

Just the inclusion of the following scenes makes a novel reader jump with joy:

- Yuji insisting on calling "Hirai Yukari" Shana. This distinction is important to him, because he refuses to forget the real Yukari.

- Friagne holding Yuji as hostage, and Shana actually hesitating to slice him. Shana beginning to have feelings for "a mere Torch".

- Friagne shooting Shana with his Hougu gun, causing Alastor to physically manifest himself, and then proceeding to burn Friagne into a crisp. - AWESOME

Oh, and the awkward "cameos" by Wilhelmina in weird locations around the world was just hilarious.

Who wants to bet the second movie would focus on novel vol 2: Shana vs Margery?

Perhaps JC STAFF should concentrate their resources on doing a series of Shana movies instead of with the Second Series. Though this is not to say the Second Series is bad, but the movie did a much better job in respect to the Shana-verse as read in the novels.

Extrapolating from the above, here's my take on the series of movies, should there be one:

Movie 2: Novel vol 2 - Shana vs Margery over Rami's life
Movie 3: Novels 3 and 4 - Shana vs the Aizen siblings, and the beginning of the Shana vs Yoshida rivalry as well
Movie 4: Novels 6 and 7 - Shana vs Professor, Khamshin meets Yoshida
Movie 5: Novels 8 and 9 - Wilhelmina comes to destroy the Reiji Maigo inside Yuji, for some specific purpose

JC STAFF can also do a series of prequel movies:

Prequel 1: Novel 5 - Birth of Shana, fleshing out anime episodes 14-16
Prequel 2: Novel 10 - The Great War - chronicles Shana's predecessor

Perhaps JC STAFF is trying to gauge the success of Series 2 in order to consider whether to make further movies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khelbenaru View Post
After all, the Fuzetsu is very small, lasts for just a few seconds and after that Yuuji is completely drained (which would make no sense in the movie, as Friagne doesn't use him as a power of existence source or anything).
I'm sorry to say that you're are completely wrong. This scene follows the novel in its entirety, which clearly says

"In a very short time where one doesn't even have time to think, Shana has instinctively followed Yuji's instruction (to activate her Fuuzetsu)."

So it was Shana that activated the Fuuzetsu. Never once in the novel have I seen Yuji been able to activate one himself.

The reason Yuji seemed spent was simply because Friagne kept on ringing his bell, chipping away at Yuji's flames. Though neither he nor Friagne would thought that Yuji would restore his total HP, sorry total flame amount come midnight.

Last edited by Kinny Riddle; 2007-10-13 at 06:56.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-13, 11:47   Link #186
alvinkhorfire

Yap, I have to agree with you, Kinny Riddle. The sequence of events in the movie makes more sense.

Why would you propose for the movie to be broadcasted? In tv?
alvinkhorfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-13, 13:02   Link #187
kimchipride
Geass User

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyman282 View Post
If you are still having troubles with the h264 then I advise you download the avi which is always harsubbed. The mkv format of h264 is merely a container and I believe the subs and video are individual from each other and merely played simultaneously when you play the whole mkv file.

If the issue is with the codec then i advise you get the combined codecs pack to play most videos. If you already have that then make sure your you've turned the sub on.. Right click on the green arrow in your systems tray, when you are playing it and there should be the option of english subs...

If that doesn't work then yea go to the link relentless provided..
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
It's an issue on your computer, and not with the file, as the H.264 version does have subs. I recommend the Playback Help forum for some guidance.
Thanks for your help. I'll try them out. Why does the XviD take up so much more space than the h264? Is it because of the quality or is it because it's the director's cut version. Either way, I'll be maintaining my download on the XviD. Nonetheless, I'd still like to know.
kimchipride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-13, 13:08   Link #188
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinkhorfire View Post
Why would you propose for the movie to be broadcasted? In tv?
Excuse me? I have no idea what you're talking about. Whoever said anything about the movies being shown on TV? When I said "series of movies", of course I mean that they are to be shown in cinemas (as with most anime movie adaptations). Think of it like the series of Spiderman movies or X-Men movies.
Old 2007-10-13, 13:12   Link #189
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Why does the XviD take up so much more space than the h264?
It's because H.264 is a newer technology that, basically, can fit the same quality of video in a smaller file (or, better quality video in the same sized file). This is why you see a lot of groups moving to it these days.
Old 2007-10-13, 13:12   Link #190
alvinkhorfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
Excuse me? I have no idea what you're talking about. Whoever said anything about the movies being shown on TV? When I said "series of movies", of course I mean that they are to be shown in cinemas (as with most anime movie adaptations). Think of it like the series of Spiderman movies or X-Men movies.
Okay. Airing these movies at cinemas? Don't you think it requires a lot of budget to do so?

Last edited by alvinkhorfire; 2007-10-13 at 13:24.
alvinkhorfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-13, 14:03   Link #191
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Okay. Airing these movies at cinemas? Don't you think it requires a lot of budget to do so?
Erm... I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you are not familiar with the movie culture in Japan. Their cinemas regularly show anime movies. That is why they're called movies in the first place.

High-budget anime episodes that première only on TV, are called OVAs (original video animation). Most are only one-shot episodes, but some can be several episodes long (usually not weekly). Examples include Hellsing Ultimate, FMP!TSR:OVA - A Day in the Life of a Captain, Today in Class 5-2, etc...

For anime movies, some examples include the Naruto movies, the Bleach movies, the Full Metal Alchemist movies, the Inukami movie, the Shakugan no Shana movie, etc... There is really a lot of variety; especially since I have not mentioned the anime movies that are not based on a TV-series.

Yes, it requires a lot of budget, but the series is usually profitable enough for them to make the investment back via DVD sales.

Cheers.
Old 2007-10-13, 20:55   Link #192
serenade_beta
マジ天使

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
High-budget anime episodes that première only on TV, are called OVAs (original video animation). Most are only one-shot episodes, but some can be several episodes long (usually not weekly). Examples include Hellsing Ultimate, FMP!TSR:OVA - A Day in the Life of a Captain, Today in Class 5-2, etc...
Aren't OVAs supposed to be "released directly without a TV premiere"?

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-13, 21:00   Link #193
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Aren't OVAs supposed to be "released directly without a TV premiere"?
I'm pretty sure he meant "High-budget anime episodes that première only on DVD".

(That being said, nowadays, nearly every "OVA" gets some sort of pre-screening, whether it's at an event, on a premium satellite channel, Pay Per View, or Internet streaming. It's just too tight of a market nowadays, and they need all the exposure they can get.)
Old 2007-10-13, 21:03   Link #194
Devard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
Perhaps JC STAFF should concentrate their resources on doing a series of Shana movies instead of with the Second Series.
While I'd gladly fork out the money to buy all these DVDs, this would never happen.
Devard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-13, 21:06   Link #195
serenade_beta
マジ天使

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I'm pretty sure he meant "High-budget anime episodes that première only on DVD".
I figured so as well.

Well, DVD now. There are other formats as well (older and newer), but DVD is the most common.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-13, 22:39   Link #196
alvinkhorfire

Kinny Riddle
I understand your point. Watching movie is definitely a better viewing experience. Better animation quality, more faithful to the novel, who will not want these things? But asking for 7 Shana movies to cover 10 novels or first 21 episodes in first season is a bit excessive. One or two Shana movies would be okay, but 7 movies? I don't know whether it is feasible for the producer to do so.
Old 2007-10-14, 00:28   Link #197
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devard View Post
While I'd gladly fork out the money to buy all these DVDs, this would never happen.
Now there's no need to be so gloom. One can only wish.

Quote:
Kinny Riddle
I understand your point. Watching movie is definitely a better viewing experience. Better animation quality, more faithful to the novel, who will not want these things? But asking for 7 Shana movies to cover 10 novels or first 21 episodes in first season is a bit excessive. One or two Shana movies would be okay, but 7 movies? I don't know whether it is feasible for the producer to do so.
Hey, I never said JC STAFF should make a series of movies if they can't. Maybe I wasn't clear before, what I said was if such a plan is to go ahead, JC STAFF would probably base the feasibility of this plan upon the success of the DVD sales of the Second Series. I never said they should do it all in one go, but rather one at a time. And did you not read Skane's reply?

No disrespect since you did not use any emoticons and I could not read your mood, why are you so eager to shoot down my wishful thinking? I can dream on like a mad-man, can't I?

Last edited by Kinny Riddle; 2007-10-14 at 02:18.
Old 2007-10-14, 15:06   Link #198
alvinkhorfire

I guess that I own you an apology, Kinny Riddle. Sorry.
Old 2007-10-14, 15:47   Link #199
Guido

The Shakugan no Shana-tan movie was splendidly hilarious.

Spoiler:
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-15, 07:37   Link #200
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
The Shakugan no Shana-tan movie was splendidly hilarious.

Spoiler:
Pardon me for asking, but has the Shana-tan special that comes with the movie itself been subbed by anyone yet? Just in case I haven't noticed. I know SS-Eclipse has released the movie sub.

Tags
action, adventure, bishoujo, drama, fantasy, j.c. staff, movie, romance, shounen, tsundere