AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > My HiME / My Otome

Notices

View Poll Results: Are we gonna get HiME'd by SUNRISE?
Yes 32 53.33%
No 28 46.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-03-25, 10:32   Link #21
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
i liked Hime's ending but im hoping Otome's ending wont go GSD style on us
Old 2006-03-25, 11:33   Link #22
Eclipze

Its all a matter of preference....some people need their anime-ly dosage of death/body counts while some dont. I personally dont mind MH's ending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA-
i liked Hime's ending but im hoping Otome's ending wont go GSD style on us
Nah, that wont happen, considering how there wasn't a recent war and peace treaty that was basically ignored to start another war, nor is there much reused animation.

Old 2006-03-25, 11:42   Link #23
NeonZ

Calling My HiME's ending a "reset" is wrong. Those events still happened and everyone remembered them, unlike in Sailor Moon's first season or RahXephon. A "Reset" ending would be Mai getting to recreate Earth, like the Obsidian Lord wanted.

Anyway, no, I don't see a big resurrection happening again. When Tate and Takumi died in the original, I thought it was obvious they would somehow resurrect everyone...

However, now, they haven't killed any important characters yet, (and even brought back Aoi!). I think that Aoi being alive is proof enough that there won't be any kind of ultimate event to bring every random dead people back. Besides, the Harmonium can't be all powerful, otherwise, whoever used it for the first time would still be alive, if she were evil, or there would be eternal peace everywhere, if she were good.

I still think this series is better than HiME. At least, unlike in the original, they've tried to explain some of the plot elements, instead of stating that everything is just because that's how it is supposed to be. I mean... looking back at HiME, we don't even know why there was a HiME carnival(the main plot of the entire show!), it just existed. That's much worse than anything Otome has done so far.

There are less battles, but there is less stock footage and most of it is shorter than HiME's stock footage too (Besides, in HiME, it seemed that only stock footage attacks actually could do any damage, making the whole thing even worse).

I only hope this ending will have time to show a nice battle, and give a resolution to the Nina/Arika plot.
Old 2006-03-25, 12:49   Link #24
Preston
I am the lies in you.
*Author

Isn't in interesting? The people who don't want the reset, and disliked the HiME end seem to all believe that their opinion is right, and the correct choice for Sunrise. However, the people who said they liked the HiME ending seem to be much more open minded and open to discussion, instead of just saying that it 'sucked' and was a load of '@ss'.

I guess this defines two groups of people whom watched HiME and are watching Otome, those who simply choose their series on the prospect of a tragic end, regardless of the characters that are wiped from the slate, and the others that watch to see characters develop, relate with them, and thus end up enjoying the series so much more. It's all a question of your own character, and your expectations. To me, it looks like those who enjoyed HiME the most, and liked the ending, are those that will end up enjoying life more. You can't change a story, and insulting it will do no good. I didn't go and flame when Erstin died, didn't say it made the series suck, and continued watching with the same frenzy (albeit replaced by Resident Evil for two weeks; irrespective of her death), even though it killed the prospect of and Erstin and Nina relationship. I didn't say BakuTen sucked because Jo died (my one favourite character in that series, and possible my most favoured anime character), however, those that disliked the HiME ending seem to think that they reset shouldn't have happened, that only their opinions and alike opinions are valid, and attempt to represent the majority by flaming left right and centre. Who knows whether the majority like or disliked the ending? Perhaps there should be some sort of poll.

Also, just because you don't like something, it doesn't make that thing bad. After all, there could be one hundred people that like it to every person who dislikes it. What makes something good? It's quality? It's quantity? It's popularity? Who knows, but the odd opinion doesn't make or break something.

And to the topic creator, your poll is completely biased towards those that disliked the HiME ending. By voting, a person is indirectly agreeing that the HiME ending was bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticmidnightmaiden
Ers-chan is dead. She'll only be back in flashbacks. I don't miss her a bit.

That said, we most likely won't get "HiME'd." HiME's ending transition was one of the most impacting I've ever seen (because if I wanted to watch something depressing, I'd watch Air and KNOW what I was getting into). I'm pretty sure Sunrise won't create a reset ending, because, as someone said, it would be too predictable. Because the theme seems to heavily dwell on the consequences of war, a reset will be misplaced in Otome. There was no global war in HiME. There is in Otome.
Your opinion is better than other people's then? You don't expect her to come back becuase you don't miss her? Or is that just poor placement of sentences?

But the second part, I agree. HiME was a friggen comedy under all the angst after all, people, if you want tragedy, don't watch a god damn comedy. Go watch Saikano or an equivalent. And most of all, don't flame the series/ending because it didn't meet your crazy expectations, that happened to be totally out of genre.

I'm not sure about a reset not fitting in Otome. Does a reset lend itself to a particular scenario? Or a particular genre?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant
There is another thing...

A "reset" was desirable in Mai Hime only because people were happier before the Obsidian Lord showed up.

In Mai Otome, it is NOT desirable for everything to go back to where it was. The world desires a revolution, and so there will be a revolution. People MAY be brought back from the dead, but otherwise a complete world reset would actually be a sad ending for Mai Otome.
Very interesting points. But a reset may not mean a complete reset or loop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant
A Circle would be pointless.
Ever read 1984 by George Orwell? A circle is not pointless. If it was, why is this such a respected book?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonZ
Besides, the Harmonium can't be all powerful, otherwise, whoever used it for the first time would still be alive, if she were evil, or there would be eternal peace everywhere, if she were good.
Whoever said they died from using the Harmonium? Or are dead at all? Using the Harmonium requires first getting to it. There could be many scenarios that would complicate this.

Um... signature image in progress.
Old 2006-03-25, 12:58   Link #25
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Well, I didn't watch MaiHime as a comedy, but the ending was nice, I wish Saikano did a similar "reset". That anime damaged my brain. It's not that it wasn't an interesting story, the anime was very well done, but I regret seeing it I'd have a HiME ending anytime (as long as it can be done correctly).
Old 2006-03-25, 13:08   Link #26
Preston
I am the lies in you.
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal
Well, I didn't watch MaiHime as a comedy, but the ending was nice, I wish Saikano did a similar "reset". That anime damaged my brain. It's not that it wasn't an interesting story, the anime was very well done, but I regret seeing it I'd have a HiME ending anytime (as long as it can be done correctly).
Oh, I didn't watch HiME as a comedy either, I watched it as sort of a drama/comedy, but it was essentially a comedy from the roots, whether we watched it that way or not.

Um... signature image in progress.
Old 2006-03-25, 13:12   Link #27
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

I believe it was one of those anime that have everything in good quantity. Action, drama, comedy, romance packed up in a very nice package (Mai )

There wasn't much Mai in Otome though... Oh well... As long as they don't turn it into a huge tragedy, they are free NOT to do a HiME ending
Old 2006-03-25, 13:14   Link #28
Eclipze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston
But the second part, I agree. HiME was a friggen comedy under all the angst after all, people, if you want tragedy, don't watch a god damn comedy. Go watch Saikano or an equivalent. And most of all, don't flame the series/ending because it didn't meet your crazy expectations, that happened to be totally out of genre.
Really? I always had the impression MH was an action/slight mecha anime with a variation of a "contest" theme, throw in bits of angst and dark tones. Maybe we're watching different animes, eh?

About the whole "your opinion is not always right" part...aren't you basically doing the same thing? Saying stuff like "people who enjoyed the MH ending will enjoy their real lifes better than people who dont". Is that not the same as insulting people with an opinion, different from yours, and label it as "worst"?

Good to see people stand up for what they believe, but thats provided that they held consistancy with their arguements...
Old 2006-03-25, 13:29   Link #29
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipze
Really? I always had the impression MH was an action/slight mecha anime with a variation of a "contest" theme, throw in bits of angst and dark tones. Maybe we're watching different animes, eh?

About the whole "your opinion is not always right" part...aren't you basically doing the same thing? Saying stuff like "people who enjoyed the MH ending will enjoy their real lifes better than people who dont". Is that not the same as insulting people with an opinion, different from yours, and label it as "worst"?

Good to see people stand up for what they believe, but thats provided that they held consistancy with their arguements...
Eh, well, not THAT true. You can assume stuff about people from the way they view things. Although you can be wrong, I'm not sure how enjoyable life is to people who'd like everyone in an anime dead (yes yes, Saikano fans ). Or is it that some people want to see suffering to feel ok? How normal is wanting villains to win? How normal is wanting people to die? How normal is not wanting good people to live again if they had a chance? I'm not sure about the mental state of those that like those stuff. Or extreme gore and stuff, for that matter. After all, MH ending was given out really well, so we can't complain about plotholes and the like. As long as there's a decent way to explain what happened, who cares? Good people should LIVE

I wouldn't probably think MH was a waste even if the ending was somewhat tragic. If it was too tragic, I'd just put MH in the shelf with Saikano and never watch it again, but both were good, each in its own way. The fact is however that MH ending appealed to my taste and philosophy so I'm gonna watch that again but I'll never ever watch Saikano again.

And I believe that the "opinion" part is a protest to the constant nagging about how bad MH ending was just because it was I mean, I can't tell you why Saikano's ending was bad, because it wasn't BAD, it just wasn't my taste. But I can tell you why Shuffle was bad.
Old 2006-03-25, 13:42   Link #30
Eclipze

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal
Eh, well, not THAT true. You can assume stuff about people from the way they view things. Although you can be wrong, I'm not sure how enjoyable life is to people who'd like everyone in an anime dead (yes yes, Saikano fans ). Or is it that some people want to see suffering to feel ok?
Peope staying alive in real life is one thing, people staying alive in anime is another.

As a so-called "defence" for people who prefered a non-"reset" ending in MH:
1) There are people who like to use anime as a medium to *escape reality*, hence usually wanting things that they would otherwise not want happening in real life.
2) Some have argued that, having a reset basically "cheapened" the value of the people who supposedly "died". I agree partially with this. Its like having your best friend take a gun shot for you, and proceed to die. His death would help you in a few ways:
-Showing you that he is a true friend, through good or bad times.
-Giving you a reason to fight: For his/her's sake, so that his/her sacrifice was not in vain.

When all of a sudden, that friend is miraclously revived, sure, I'll be happy. But does that not mean that anyone else could have died instead of him/her and then be revived as well? Thats where the meaning and value of sacrifice is cheapened, so to speak.

My own opinion? I didnt really care if they had a reset or not. The reset was appropriate, considering the death counts and how animes mostly come with happy endings. Did I mind the reset? not at all.
Old 2006-03-25, 14:02   Link #31
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:

Peope staying alive in real life is one thing, people staying alive in anime is another.
It is? Then you're not watching art, you're watching some things on paper move. The point in watching a movie/series whatever is to acknowledge that this is a reality and you're supposed to feel something for the characters as you would have for real people

Quote:
As a so-called "defence" for people who prefered a non-"reset" ending in MH:
1) There are people who like to use anime as a medium to *escape reality*, hence usually wanting things that they would otherwise not want happening in real life.
You mean reality is SO nice that we need to see a bad reality to "escape" from this wonderful existence? If someone is so bored of a perfect life, I'll change anytime

Quote:
2) Some have argued that, having a reset basically "cheapened" the value of the people who supposedly "died". I agree partially with this. Its like having your best friend take a gun shot for you, and proceed to die. His death would help you in a few ways:
-Showing you that he is a true friend, through good or bad times.
-Giving you a reason to fight: For his/her's sake, so that his/her sacrifice was not in vain.

When all of a sudden, that friend is miraclously revived, sure, I'll be happy. But does that not mean that anyone else could have died instead of him/her and then be revived as well? Thats where the meaning and value of sacrifice is cheapened, so to speak.
Why? When those characters died, they died under certain (usually heroic) circumstances. I still remember Haruka in Hime, I didn't care about here that much, but then I was like "that was the coolest thing I saw in that series". Then everyone was brought back. So? That's for the better, having characters of that caliber up and running is good for the rest of the world, and they've shown who they are what they're capable of doing, so why bother? The point in a sacrifice is for the martyr to actually do it and for others to witness it. If, by some miracle, that character is brought back, so much the better. Plus, most of them didn't CHOOSE to die, so that's not much of a sacrifice. They were forced to die, and made HiMEs suffer. What's so noble about their deaths? The only noble death in HiME was Haruka's and even then, she didn't choose to die, it's her character than shone. What's so bad about bringing such a wonderful individual back to life?

Quote:
My own opinion? I didnt really care if they had a reset or not. The reset was appropriate, considering the death counts and how animes mostly come with happy endings. Did I mind the reset? not at all.
Well, I didn't expect that ending, I had them gone for good, but I liked it how they all came back As long as it wasn't like Saikano, they could have made a different ending
Old 2006-03-25, 15:37   Link #32
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:

The director himself mentioned it was a melodrama so the the drama/angst were meant to be subdued.

--Lone Wolf
Old 2006-03-25, 17:30   Link #33
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
The director himself mentioned it was a melodrama so the the drama/angst were meant to be subdued.
So the best part of the show was meant to be less important than it turned out to be? I guess this director learned from his "mistake" and created Mai Otome.

Quote:
You mean reality is SO nice that we need to see a bad reality to "escape" from this wonderful existence?
No, but the vast majority of people would prefer watching imaginary characters making tough choices or fighting for their lifes rather than having to go through this in real life, don't you think? So if my friends died and came back due to some divine intervention, I would be overjoyed and couldn't care less whether that makes sense or not, while it's a lot different when I am just a viewer. But as I have said it quite a lot of times - it wasn't only the resurrection that made me dislike the MH ending, it was also the way all characters became friends in the end, making it look as if the whole Carnivale and killing spree was entirely to be blamed on the Star making them go mad. And of course, the sheer absurdity of the HiME Rangers team getting together without fighting (they didn't exactly like each other at that point) in a matter of minutes and taking even less time to destroy the HiME star didn't improve my opinion for the ending. The latter scene was both amazingly cool and unbelievably cheesy.
As for why I think coming back to life cheapens the deaths, I can't really explain it, it's not the most rational of feelings. Probably has to do with watching the series again and thinking "Well, he/she is coming back, so this scene is not that moving as it could have been". Sure, killing off characters is usually a manipulation of emotions but bringing them back to life is a double manipulation - "Be sad!" and then "Everyone rejoice!" (or vice versa if you happen to hate a particular character). Of course, it is very moving the first time around but even then I guess a lot of people refused to believe that the characters were not going to come back.

As for Mai Otome, I wonder which would be worse - resurrecting the dead characters or no one important dying at all. I don't dare hope for anything better than these two options.

Old 2006-03-25, 21:43   Link #34
Eclipze

Spoiler:

Did I mention that I was really bored?
Old 2006-03-26, 03:12   Link #35
The Bloodlust Kid
Needs a better screenname

Send a message via AIM to The Bloodlust Kid
Preston: Ah yes, 1984. I do see a point of a circle in that book which is why the setting is a nightmarish world.

I have a bad feeling that Mai-Otome is an illusion created through a game of Dungeons and Dragons hosted by Fumi (why do you think she didn't appear in Otome at all?)
Old 2006-03-26, 03:29   Link #36
chubby
DIE nina & sergay!!!!!!!!

I hope nina and sergay die because i can stand them and i also hope that Arika kills both Nina and sergay for once and for all ok i'll tell you why (Because Nina is such a complex) (I want Sergay to die because he abuses of younger kids ages 8-14) thats why! dont ban me im THEFAIRYGIRL BACK AGAIN MWUHAHAHAAHAH
Old 2006-03-26, 16:34   Link #37
Orchunter226
Is rather bored...

I liked the ending of MH, but for so many people saying they dislike how things are going, theys till keep on watching.

I don't expect this to be an ending like MH, that is just not playing out right. I think that people who died will stay dead and probably some more will die (what's a war without death?). I'm still hoping it's a happy ending.

You know all this talk about 1984 made me notice that Nagi runs a totalitarian state. When they started to say something bad about Nagi they had to stop due to a guard.
Old 2006-03-26, 17:36   Link #38
kazekiri

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bloodlust Kid
I have a bad feeling that Mai-Otome is an illusion created through a game of Dungeons and Dragons hosted by Fumi (why do you think she didn't appear in Otome at all?)
My original theory was that (based on the dream theme in the first OP and the 1st ep title) the entire MO universe was Shizuru's dream after she got completely drunk following the big karaoke party at the end of MH ep 26. If I'm right, the last minute of the final episode will be her waking up with one hell of a hangover and Natsuki telling her to keep it down.
Old 2006-03-27, 00:09   Link #39
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazekiri
My original theory was that (based on the dream theme in the first OP and the 1st ep title) the entire MO universe was Shizuru's dream after she got completely drunk following the big karaoke party at the end of MH ep 26. If I'm right, the last minute of the final episode will be her waking up with one hell of a hangover and Natsuki telling her to keep it down.

Hey.. you know, that is an appealing ending.
Old 2006-03-27, 00:51   Link #40
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazekiri
Hmmm...interesting. I'd like to see that one pan out as well. Especially with Natsuki waking up next to her.

--Lone Wolf
Closed Thread