AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Kanon

Notices

Old 2006-09-07, 16:39   Link #721
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Aww.. It's another Ayu vs. Nayuki battle.

You can battle all you want but it's the bottom line (the yen, dollar) that will determine the ending imo.

How do you know there isn't a better guy than Yuuichi out there for those girls? It's not like they become nuns because of this. They do move on. The ability to move on is a theme of this title.

Shiori is 15-16 yo and Yuuichi is 16-17 yo by my estimate. Therefore, if he dates her, it's not pedo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martino
Anyway I noticed this recently, but this "cousin relationship" thing seems to be quite common in animes, eg Kanon, Elfen Lied, Da Capo, Kono Minikuku mo Utsukushii Sekai and some other ones as well...and I was wondering whether cousin relationships are common in Japan or something else...

Viewing the above list with Region 1 as a buyer, only Elfen Lied and This Ugly Yet Beautiful World has made it to Region 1. In both those titles, the first cousin lost. Region 1 is the secondary market.

First cousin marriages may be legal, but there are restrictions placed, like they can't give birth to any children where I live. It's not exactly a socially acceptable thing, just legal at least in my area.

Thanks Maids! Maids! Maids! for the Ayu pics. Ayu and Misuzu are adorable!

Isn't there something else we can talk about? Ayu vs. Nayuki debating bogs down a thread eventually.
Old 2006-09-07, 17:08   Link #722
Leo_Otaku
俺たちはリトルバスターズ!

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rengemaru
I think it should be a good choice to do to even impress you more of how divine the kyoAni version will be (or so I hope).

And thx for the movie Zalas, it really helped ease our thirst ^.^

And about the girl's chances, I'd say:
Spoiler:
Mai is not officially a couple with Sayuri, it is lead to believe so from yuuichi's.... little whatever you would call it! It is just popular with fans it is not official. Otherwise she wouldn't be a choice!
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-07, 17:17   Link #723
orion

Well, she was "with" Sayuri in the OVA. It's all circumstantial still.

Nice MAD zalas! =D>
Old 2006-09-07, 17:39   Link #724
Ombrenuit
Day Dreams...

Send a message via AIM to Ombrenuit Send a message via MSN to Ombrenuit
I remember a Hong Kong movie, Wong Kar Wai's first, As Tears Go By. It was the typical triads gangster movie--although you can't quite call it that because it originated the trend in the early ninties and went on to inspire countless copy cat films. Except there was one element in it that set it apart: the romance. The existential dilemma churning inside the mind of the main character was where his obligations would lie--was he obligated as a "Big Brother" of the gang to look out and take responsability for his reckless "Little Brother"--regardless of the foolishness involved? Or did he have to let go and allow his "Little Brother" to take responsability for his exceedingly foolish choices, and therefore, be able to live peacefully with the woman he fell in love with (awkwardly, his cousin ^^.

I asked my chinese friend, who also saw Kanon, if it was strange that there was an implied romance between two characters that happened to be cousins. He said that in China it wasn't considered that strange nor a taboo. It didn't bother him particularly.
Old 2006-09-07, 18:28   Link #725
Rengemaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion
Shiori is 15-16 yo and Yuuichi is 16-17 yo by my estimate. Therefore, if he dates her, it's not pedo.
I know just trying to blind myself with that fact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Otaku
Mai is not officially a couple with Sayuri, it is lead to believe so from yuuichi's.... little whatever you would call it! It is just popular with fans it is not official. Otherwise she wouldn't be a choice!
Well I have Kanon's artbook scans and I saw a MaiXSayuri H-picture in it. And as Orion mentioned in the OVA. But I don't think we can truely conform that unless she (or Sayuri) says so in the remake.

Anyway regarding my post about the chances, it meant to be a joke, please don't take it that seriously :P
Old 2006-09-07, 18:50   Link #726
DanielSong39

As for Mai X Sayuri...

The subtext was all over place in the Toei version and the OVA... it seemed pretty obvious to me.

They may have not gone the distance, but they're certainly on their way to first base.
DanielSong39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-07, 19:06   Link #727
aquastar831
AQS-Anime

Send a message via AIM to aquastar831 Send a message via MSN to aquastar831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rengemaru
I know just trying to blind myself with that fact.

Well I have Kanon's artbook scans and I saw a MaiXSayuri H-picture in it. And as Orion mentioned in the OVA. But I don't think we can truely conform that unless she (or Sayuri) says so in the remake.

Anyway regarding my post about the chances, it meant to be a joke, please don't take it that seriously :P
Actually, if you've played the PC game, there is a scene that shows Mai and Sayuri in some "yuri" action. Just a single shot though. When I last played the game, I was headed down Mai's path, and this is basically your character (Yuichi) daydreaming as he's having lunch with them. I remembered that I got this scene in a later part of the game.
aquastar831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-07, 19:50   Link #728
Rengemaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquastar831
Actually, if you've played the PC game, there is a scene that shows Mai and Sayuri in some "yuri" action. Just a single shot though. When I last played the game, I was headed down Mai's path, and this is basically your character (Yuichi) daydreaming as he's having lunch with them. I remembered that I got this scene in a later part of the game.
I haven't played the game but saw the artbook but thx for clearing that up, my dreams of maiXsayuri has faded now T_T

But about the later part of the game, can you explain further please?
Old 2006-09-07, 23:09   Link #729
Narumi
*Fansubber

There's also the rejected event in which the three of them have some *ahem* fun
Old 2006-09-07, 23:36   Link #730
orion

A threesome ala Fate/stay night perhaps?

Details, need details. (Was it a dream or a real event?)

Please spoil us.

Looking more yuri by the second....
Old 2006-09-08, 02:08   Link #731
Lost

zalas, cookie for that great MV. I had to LOL when Ayu hit the tree and the next scene was Kyon holding his head. If this is what Ayu looks like in the Anime then I'm already an Ayu fan (that was Ayu right? the brown-haired chibi? She reminded me so much of SHnY's Mikuru!).

Looking forward to KyoAni's remake.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-08, 20:43   Link #732
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

Well, this is potentially significant. A.F.K. has subbed the Prelude.
Old 2006-09-08, 20:55   Link #733
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb Send a message via Skype™ to aliensporebomb
Geez. My wife is six years younger than me. We met later but if
I had been 20 and she was 15 it would have been marginal but
imagine if I was 15 and she was 10. It all depends on both mental
and emotional age.

My friend Jim's wife is 13 years younger than she is (she was barely 18 when first married). That's a weird one but......

If the relationships are right, they're right (both marriages in their eleventh
year).

So I look forward to this Kanon, we'll see if Ayu wins or not - there's a lot
of Nayuki fans out there who'd like to see her win but since she's a relative
it's a little odd.
Old 2006-09-09, 00:49   Link #734
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

I won't lie; even though I could care less about karaoke and stuff, I really was impressed at how A.F.K. did the opening song. The fade away of the words was just sweet.

Hopefully they A.F.K. does the entire Kanon series. One of the few groups which proves that one doesn't necessarily have to sacrifice quality for speed (though to be fair, they have their own shortcomings, like below average looking raws). Hopefully the translator is the same as for Haruhi (can't find credits even when I saw it three times, I must be blind), as he/she converted Kyon's humor and sarcasm almost seemlessly to English.

Spoiler for not anything plot related, but AFKs translation:

As an aside, can't get enough of Nayuki in the prelude. The way her VA delivers her lines seems so unique; maybe it's the way she speeds up then pauses, and uses high and low pitches? Can't seem to pinpoint it...

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-09, 00:53   Link #735
Leo_Otaku
俺たちはリトルバスターズ!

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion
A threesome ala Fate/stay night perhaps?

Details, need details. (Was it a dream or a real event?)

Please spoil us.

Looking more yuri by the second....
It never actually happened in the game...

There is only Yuichi's little "dream" pic and then the rest is just Mai and Yuuichi for the actual game. Also can't girl's be fricken friends anymore ......

On another note will we get any of Sayuri's back story? They do show her in the ending credits like she was more important this time.

Site updated the charcters so we have the main 5 and yuuichi so far, not new art but an update anyway

Last edited by Leo_Otaku; 2006-09-09 at 01:44.
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-09, 02:09   Link #736
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maids! Maids! Maids!
Well, this is potentially significant. A.F.K. has subbed the Prelude.
Hopefully this will shu^H^H^Hconvince the rest of the random subbers to take on other, more useful, projects <_< >_>
Meanwhile, uguuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu will wander on to brainstorm more wacky parody ideas...
Old 2006-09-09, 03:09   Link #737
Varion
殲滅天使

Send a message via AIM to Varion Send a message via MSN to Varion
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3
OP lyrics were good, afk rule, their video quality isn't brilliant, and Nayuki's voice rules
Second pretty much everything in this post Though the video quality suggests we're not going to be getting any fancy HD h264 mkv versions or anything, at least the translation and editing will be top notch. I was hoping Kanon wouldn't be left with a bunch of slow groups and/or low quality speedsubbers, so this is a dream come true.
Varion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-09, 03:46   Link #738
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

I don't think Kanon's translation would be too difficult a feat comparing to other animes. Source material exists and unlike AIR you don't have to deal with to the more formal and archaic Japanese form. Most of the translators probabilly already know of the story... I just hope that they pay attention to detail really, like A.F.K's case for example.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-09, 03:48   Link #739
-Nyu-
Yozora

I don't care about the other projects, Kanon will be my only new series for the next nine months^^ (thx to my civil service in Germany..)
I hope they'll also do h264 cause the video quality is so damn good in comparison.
The problem is you need a fast computer for it.
-Nyu- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-09, 04:00   Link #740
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

(either that or you don't run anything while playing back the video, or if you can use hardware acceleration wmv).

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, drama, key, kyoto animation, magic, romance, school life, seinen