AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Old 2003-11-03, 18:12   Link #1
PiGGiEE
PiGGiEE Judo Chop Chop!

Question BiTTorrent Nightmare?

Hi Everyone!

I didn't know where to stick this post so if its in the wrong place... sorry.

I'm just wondering if anyone else is having the same problem as me...

I am using the latest version of the Bit Torrent Client v3.3 and whenever I download anime... my computer locks up... then crashes... and I have to hit the shut down button manually to turn off the computer. Or in other instances... it'll do the lock up thing... crash... and then restart itself. And just today for the first time... it locked up, crashed and I got the blue screen of death. Am I doing something wrong? Or is there a fix for this? Is anyone going thru the same thing I am? Sigh... so it takes literally over 30 crashes before I can download one full episode sometimes... and I've noticed that after awhile... my computer slows down and stuff starts getting errors... which has never happened before I used Bit Torrent. Is there anyway around this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

PS >> Animesuki You Rule!!

Edit:: WAHHHHH! Someone save me from this nightmare lol... it just crashed my computer again...

Last edited by PiGGiEE; 2003-11-03 at 18:31.
PiGGiEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-03, 18:18   Link #2
OFFSPRiNGCo16
Godlike

Send a message via ICQ to OFFSPRiNGCo16 Send a message via AIM to OFFSPRiNGCo16 Send a message via MSN to OFFSPRiNGCo16 Send a message via Yahoo to OFFSPRiNGCo16
Hmm I am kind of stumped but maybe you should try an alternative BT Client such as ABC (Yet another Bittorrent Client) or Shadows Experimental Version. Might work better for you...or not. I really dont know but cant hurt to try
Old 2003-11-03, 20:50   Link #3
tsurumaru
I refuse to die dammit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiGGiEE
Hi Everyone!

I didn't know where to stick this post so if its in the wrong place... sorry.

I'm just wondering if anyone else is having the same problem as me...

I am using the latest version of the Bit Torrent Client v3.3 and whenever I download anime... my computer locks up... then crashes... and I have to hit the shut down button manually to turn off the computer. Or in other instances... it'll do the lock up thing... crash... and then restart itself. And just today for the first time... it locked up, crashed and I got the blue screen of death. Am I doing something wrong? Or is there a fix for this? Is anyone going thru the same thing I am? Sigh... so it takes literally over 30 crashes before I can download one full episode sometimes... and I've noticed that after awhile... my computer slows down and stuff starts getting errors... which has never happened before I used Bit Torrent. Is there anyway around this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!
Hi, could you please post a little more info about what your system specs are? Which version of Windows are you using 98/2000/XP? This problem sounds strangely like one I read on the old forum....

Hmm, *Summons resident BT expert* - FlashSquirrel does this ring a bell?
Old 2003-11-03, 20:57   Link #4
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

Send a message via ICQ to Flash_Squirrel Send a message via AIM to Flash_Squirrel
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsurumaru
Hi, could you please post a little more info about what your system specs are? Which version of Windows are you using 98/2000/XP? This problem sounds strangely like one I read on the old forum....

Hmm, *Summons resident BT expert* - FlashSquirrel does this ring a bell?
Yep, Yep, I does.. ^^

Try to use the Exp 3.2.1b for a chance, the new client is still working a little buggly.
Maybe use the Azureus client too, since its different from all the other clients.
Never get stuck on a single client, try to check the other clients too.
Old 2003-11-03, 21:16   Link #5
Hyuga Jubei
Drifter

Well don't really have a solution for your problem.
But my friend has the same problem while running win98.
We tried using 3.2.1b and the regular one so am guessing it's the Win98
Gonna try that Azereus one anyway thnks for that one Flash_Squirrel.

Fate is inevitable.
Hyuga Jubei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-03, 21:20   Link #6
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

Send a message via ICQ to Flash_Squirrel Send a message via AIM to Flash_Squirrel
For the client list go and check the guide linked in my signature.

Last edited by Flash_Squirrel; 2003-11-05 at 11:11.
Flash_Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-03, 21:36   Link #7
FlamingPac
Lives on anime

Send a message via AIM to FlamingPac Send a message via MSN to FlamingPac
If its OS I think linux would work... its free so you don't ahve to worry about paying $100-$300 (US) cource you ahev to know the cammends... wich I don't feel liek doing so I haven't dled Linux yet... oh well my copy of XP pro will do fine for now...
FlamingPac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-04, 00:10   Link #8
GM V
Not cannon fodder mecha

If you were monitering the downloads, were they rather high? Also if your on DSL, do you have an Alcatel modem? and do you have a Linksys LNE100TX ethernet card? If so read the bittorent FAQ. It should help you resolve those problems.

Answered here in here, regarding blue screens:
http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/FAQ.html
GM V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-04, 01:27   Link #9
eean

I actually work at a tech-support place, and my knee-jerk reaction to such problems is to run ad-aware or spybot search and destory (do a google search) and a virus scan (theres one called AVG http://www.grisoft.com/ thats free). I doubt the problem has much to do with BitTorrent. You could run the program msconfig and see if theres a bunch of junk being loaded on startup.

And as someone else suggested, you could just run Linux. :-P
eean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-04, 03:24   Link #10
PiGGiEE
PiGGiEE Judo Chop Chop!

Running:
Windows XP Pro
FA311 Netgear Card
(I'm on cable Toshiba modem PCX2200)

I have ad-aware and I run it very often. I've also tried the older version Bit Torrent and had the same problem.

Yeah I'll try another client and see if that helps. Was stuck on a single client because I wasn't sure if the other ones were any good. But at this rate... it can't be any worse hehehe.

Thanks!
Old 2003-11-04, 05:54   Link #11
PiGGiEE
PiGGiEE Judo Chop Chop!

Ok trying ABC right now... I'll keep you guys updated for those that are having similar problems...

::crosses fingers and hope it works out good::

Thanks for all the help
Old 2003-11-04, 16:58   Link #12
Akiace

Or it may be time to update your driver for network card. This was what happened to me a while back too and after I got the latest driver installed, my computer stopped crashing whenever I use BT.
Akiace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-05, 11:10   Link #13
krel
^_^

Send a message via MSN to krel
Flash Squirrel:
Out of all the BT programmes you listed, which is the best? i mean, which causes the least problems and is easiest to use?
krel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-05, 11:29   Link #14
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

Though choice..

Depends on your tastes after all, I personally use the Eike's Exp 3.2.1b, I find it stable, fast, not bloated with stuffs (hmm, the shadow's light is a good example) and full of the most useful stuffs.

The new client (3.3) IMHO is a little too young, it needs some updates and some fixing, and I just hate the new allocation system.

The shadows is... a so-so client, it uses an old way to analyze the connecion and the trackers, and the new version (the x.x.7) is full of bugs (check the shadow's site, they say that the version is still buggy themselfs ^^.

If you are lazy, there is the ABC client, it allows you to compose a pretty nice queue with clients, and works fairly good, I'd check it out if you want to use a good program. BTW the creator of the ABC client is a member of the board, so you may be able to talk with him about the problems you might have with the client.

I'd go with Eike's 3.2.1b, never had a single problem with it (I had a REALLY hard time trying to pick screenshots of the errors, trust me) Check it maybe.

A special note to the Azureus client, The only (Not sure though) JAVA client of the bounch, check it too if you still have problems with the other clients.
Old 2003-11-05, 17:10   Link #15
PiGGiEE
PiGGiEE Judo Chop Chop!

Yeah I read somewhere doing a search on google about the crashes and the blue screen of death and someone recommended that I try updating the drivers for the network card. I downloaded the drivers but dunno how to install it.

I'd goto my computer, manage, device manager, right click on my network card, update driver, install (advanced so I can point to file), then it says:

Cannot continue the Hardware update wizard...
The wizard could not find a better match for your hardware than the software you currenly have installed.

So does that mean the one I have now is already currently up to date? Or am I just a dummy and not installing the drivers right... the folder does not have a file in there where I can click to install the drivers... so I dunno.. stumped... ::feels like such a noob::

I just tried the ABC client... its simple and easy to use but it still crashes on me... although I must say it crashes less then the original Bit torrent... so its an improvement I guess lol.

I'm going to try the Eike's Exp 3.2.1b and see if that works better for me and if that doesn't then I'll try the java one...

I'll let you know how that goes

Note to Flash: who's that character for your avatar? (sorry me noob) she's a cutie >.<
Old 2003-11-05, 20:05   Link #16
Akiace

you should take note of the model of your network card and go to the website to dl the latest driver. that's what i did.
Akiace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-05, 23:07   Link #17
1stStrike
Pro Leecher

I use the Burst! BT client. Works rather nice for me and I like it a lot. No problems at all. I'm running Win XP Pro btw.
1stStrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-06, 05:54   Link #18
lamer

I had the same problem. Then I noticed that if Win98 have this 'feature' that it turn off the hard drive for saving power. I switched 'Shut down hard drive' option from 1 hour to never and after that bittorrent works like a dream. Im sorry that I cannot give you better instructions because I'm using finnish windows and I don't know how to call these options english.
lamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-12, 15:54   Link #19
PiGGiEE
PiGGiEE Judo Chop Chop!

Okie here's an update....

I finally got the network card drivers to update... and YAY! It hasn't crashed the computer since and I don't get the blue screen of death anymore. I'm soooo happy... this means I can leave my computer on forever to download anime... I had to do a lot of babysitting before... kinda sucked because then I couldn't leave my computer on when I'm sleeping.

But YAY! Its been working since! If you guys have the same problem... definitely try updating those network cards...

Mine is a Netgear FA311.

I'm a happy PiGGiEE now
Old 2003-11-12, 17:17   Link #20
smee
Silent A$$A$$IN

Send a message via AIM to smee
where can i download eikes 3.2.1b?
smee is offline   Reply With Quote