AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto

Notices

Old 2003-12-18, 11:19   Link #1
bobofet
Blue Pheasant

what's up with Itachi (for manga readers)

I can't figure out why Itachi would avoid a confrontation with Jiraiya head-on. If orochimaru admits itachi is stronger than him, then you would think that itachi should be able to take down jiraiya, especially considering that he had another jouninlike(maybe stronger than a jounin) backup in that ankatsu guy. I don't get it. The same with the gai confrontation. Maybe Itachi isn't as strong as we think he is?
bobofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-18, 11:34   Link #2
ChouOishii

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofet
I can't figure out why Itachi would avoid a confrontation with Jiraiya head-on. If orochimaru admits itachi is stronger than him, then you would think that itachi should be able to take down jiraiya, especially considering that he had another jouninlike(maybe stronger than a jounin) backup in that ankatsu guy. I don't get it. The same with the gai confrontation. Maybe Itachi isn't as strong as we think he is?
I doubt he'd back off if he ran into jiraiya alone in a forest somewhere, but he was in the middle of a village full of hostile jounin facing off with one of the most powerful ninja in the world (as we know it so far) and with tsunade just one really loud explosion/giant animal summoning jutsu away from showing up to see what's going on. we don't know if he could take down jiraiya since all we've seen him do is make kakashi imagine being tortured, but it wasn't the place for him to start a fight

also, I got the feeling he feels bad about killing his whole clan and doesn't really want to do the same thing to the rest of the village, regardless of whether or not he actually could
ChouOishii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-18, 11:46   Link #3
GreyArea
Meatf***er

Also, he'd already used the Mange Sharingan twice, and he needed to rest up.
GreyArea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-18, 11:54   Link #4
Jack Zodiac
I was here!

Send a message via AIM to Jack Zodiac
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofet
The same with the gai confrontation. Maybe Itachi isn't as strong as we think he is?
See, after being Kakashi's rival for so long, Gai had found a way around the Sharingan. And I'm betting that Itachi's power lies mainly in his eyes. Not to say he couldn't beat Kakashi or Gai head on without them, but when Gai had confronted him, he'd just taken care of Kakashi.

So, while Itachi's incredibly powerful, I think there are minor weaknesses to his technique that can be exploited easily, if someone knows how, like Gai. He just doesn't want to take that chance too often.
Jack Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-18, 13:40   Link #5
Lost World
Banned

You can't forget that Gai's taijutsu is SPECIFICALLY intended to be a way to fight the Sharingan (So he could fight Kakashi). In reality, Gai's probably one of the few who would be able to take down Itachi.

This is why Lee owns Sasuke in their first fight...because Sharingan is basically useless against Taijutsu.

So it makes perfect sense for Itachi to back down in a fight against Gai...I dunno what the deal with Jiraiya is, though.
Lost World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-18, 13:57   Link #6
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
how is sharingan useless vs taijutsu? you can still copy it, and you can still mange them. it is not because you do taijutsu, that you are immune to mange, it is because you dont look at the sharingan's eyes that you are immune to it.

you can still copy the taijutsu, it is just different from copying nin or gen jutsu.
hobobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-18, 14:17   Link #7
Jack Zodiac
I was here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobobaggins
how is sharingan useless vs taijutsu? you can still copy it, and you can still mange them. it is not because you do taijutsu, that you are immune to mange, it is because you dont look at the sharingan's eyes that you are immune to it.

you can still copy the taijutsu, it is just different from copying nin or gen jutsu.
That's exactly why.

Sasuke could copy Lee's Shadow Leaf Dance, but he wouldn't be able to perform it with the same skill, speed, and strength as Lee because their physical abilities are different, which is why Gai said it was amazing that Sasuke was able to copy Lee because to do that move, you'd have to physically train every day.

So, even if Itachi could copy Gai's Taijutsu, we still don't know if he'd be able to pull it off as well as Gai could. But I think a lot of what had to do with him fleeing a fight with Gai had to do with the fact that he'd used the mange on Kakashi already, and Gai seemed to know how to avoid the Sharingan. But that's all, really.
Old 2003-12-18, 15:51   Link #8
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
itachi is damn fast as he is... got behind kakashi.

and it is not really being able to see the taijutsu, it is knowing how to counter it is what is dangerous. if a sharingan person can copy it, he can also figure out its weaknesses cant he?
hobobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-18, 16:49   Link #9
Hunter
Bubbly and super fun

lol serioulsy, Gai being able to take down Itachi

Gai is at the same level of Kakashi, yeah he can fight Itachi without looking into his eyes.
And die to have tried.

Itachi is so fast than even with his sharingan, Kakashi can't sees him doing his jutsu.
Gai isn't a threat at all for him, he just said to Kisame to not take Gai lightly.
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-18, 17:16   Link #10
OhJustSomeRandomGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobobaggins
itachi is damn fast as he is... got behind kakashi.

and it is not really being able to see the taijutsu, it is knowing how to counter it is what is dangerous. if a sharingan person can copy it, he can also figure out its weaknesses cant he?
No...taijutsu doesn't have "weaknesses" like genjutsu and ninjutsu. Those all rely on tricks, and once you know the trick, you can deal with it. When you're just going hand to hand, you're just blocking and attacking. It's just physical ability at that point.

What's the trick to a jab? An uppercut? A roundhouse kick? Sure you know how to do them all...but you don't know when they're coming.

In any case, as to the question of Guy (I think that's actually the romanization they're going for...but what I know...I'm just Some Random Guy.) being able to defeat Itachi straight up?

Kakashi claimed he could sacrifice his life to kill Orochimaru. Orochimaru just laughed. Then after he left Kakashi wondered what the hell he was thinking.

Orochimaru fears Itachi, and yet not the Hokage, who is the most powerful man around, according to the other characters.

Kakashi leads the "rivalry" between he and Guy 50-49. (I guess it's really 51-49 now, because Guy said the next duel would be fought between their students, and Naruto vs. Neji was the only fight between their students.)

So, if you're just using the simplistic distributive method, it looks like Guy would be beaten.

However, it's not like the fights cam be broken down that simply, so you're just going to have to wait until it happens to find out for sure. But, a cursory observation would lead to the belief that Guy's out of his league in a fight with Itachi.
OhJustSomeRandomGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-18, 17:43   Link #11
Tboz

I think Taijutsu is more like martial arts and more than that just attacking and blocking. There are feints, reflexes, left/right stances and they can influence a fight alot. How you describe Taijutsu seems like brawling to me.

I don't know any martial art, but I think there is always a possibility to counter every move. It can be useful if you can predict or catch a move before its executed and hit back at any opening/death spot.

For one to really do that, I think one must really gain these knowledge through previous fights and analysing their opponents closely. Assuming that Kakashi can keep up with Gai, he would probably have to fight Gai more often to really learn how best to counter his moves.

My 2 cents.
Tboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-18, 17:49   Link #12
ChouOishii

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhJustSomeRandomGuy
Kakashi leads the "rivalry" between he and Guy 50-49. (I guess it's really 51-49 now, because Guy said the next duel would be fought between their students, and Naruto vs. Neji was the only fight between their students.)
umm.. I don't think the '50-49' record is in actual 'fights'... I'm not sure on this since I read the manga all at once a while ago and have since just been keeping up with the current stuff, but don't I remember gai challenging kakashi to rock paper scissors and counting that as one of their matches? or was that just a happy thought I had all by myself? actually I think that was in a flashback... about how he did the self-training stuff.. like making crazy rules to make himself train harder ("if I can't do 1000 pushups on one finger then I'll run around the village 2000 times" and so on)
ChouOishii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-18, 17:55   Link #13
Tboz

Heh... no... you didn't imagined that...
Spoiler:
Tboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-18, 18:19   Link #14
OhJustSomeRandomGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChouOishii
umm.. I don't think the '50-49' record is in actual 'fights'...
Yes. I know that. But some of them are assumed to be in actual fights. That's why Guy's all shocked when Kakashi chooses Jan-Ken. Also, the fact that Guy views Kakashi as his rival would mean that he'd have to be his equal or lower. If you're imagining a rivalry with someone, you don't imagine it with someone who's beneath your ability, so, by virtue of their competition together, it's established that:

Guy <= Kakashi
OhJustSomeRandomGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-18, 18:23   Link #15
Lost World
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
lol serioulsy, Gai being able to take down Itachi

Gai is at the same level of Kakashi, yeah he can fight Itachi without looking into his eyes.
And die to have tried.

Itachi is so fast than even with his sharingan, Kakashi can't sees him doing his jutsu.
Gai isn't a threat at all for him, he just said to Kisame to not take Gai lightly.
Geez, Itachi isn't some sort of God. He can and will be taken down...probably by Sasuke, though.
Old 2003-12-18, 18:24   Link #16
Gaara_
ぬけ人

Send a message via AIM to Gaara_
this thread seems so familiar.
Gaara_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-18, 19:24   Link #17
eLstar
(^_^)v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasuke Uchiha
Geez, Itachi isn't some sort of God. He can and will be taken down...probably by Sasuke, though.
Spoiler:
eLstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-18, 19:36   Link #18
Zeratul
n00bie

Why Itachi backed from fighting Jiraiya
1. He just whooped 3 jounins so he was tired
2. He has no idea if he is even comparable to the legendary sanin
3. He had no idea what kind of jutsus jiraiya uses

Even without his sharingan Itachi isbetter than Gai at taijutsu and better than Kakashi at ninjutsu and genjutsu so they really have no chance against him
Zeratul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-18, 19:45   Link #19
Lost World
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeratul
Why Itachi backed from fighting Jiraiya

2. He has no idea if he is even comparable to the legendary sanin
Are you sure about this one? I mean, he knows he can kick Orochimaru's ass, right? And isn't Oro suppossed to be the strongest of the legendary three?
Old 2003-12-18, 20:29   Link #20
Jack Zodiac
I was here!

Orochimaru knows Itachi could beat him. That doesn't mean Itachi knows, himself.