Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Las Vegas
Chase's Great Anime Opening Expo 1
Okay, elsewhere, I have covered opening music, but this time a gogo, I think we (me and my new AnimeSuki pals) should cover the entire experience: visuals and music. URLs are embedded within each listing, so enjoy. ;D
Honorable Mention 1. Love Love?
, 1st Opening, "Love" by Miyu Matsuki, Sanae Kobayashi, Sayaka Ohara, Mayumi Yoshida and Kiyomi Asai
Honorable Mention 2. S-CRY-ed, 2nd Opening, "Reckless Fire" by Yasuaki Ide
- Chase's Notes: "Firstly, I really-really don't like the opening to Cowboy Bebop, so it's not an oversight. Love Love? is a fun show, with a fun/perverse opening that makes me wince a little. But damn it, it's entertaining. Therefore, an honorable mention.
If there's hair on her head -- then it's okay to shag her in the bed. :-X "
- Chase's Notes: "S-CRY-ed has one of my favorite bits of opening music. However, I really do dislike the show, and thusly, just a mention."
Chase's Individually Glorious 11 Anime Openings
, 1st Opening, "scarlet" by BRACE;d
10. Naruto, 2nd Opening, "Haruka Kanata" by Asian Kung-Fu Generation
- Chase's Notes: "I adore Karin, and love the music, but the somewhat goofy ending of the opening kills it for me (and yet, I know it's relevant to the show)."
9. Naruto, 5th Opening, "Seishun Kyosokyoku" by Sambomaster
- Chase's Notes: "Another instance of where the song is better than the opening. At the ending everything comes together, but the beginning starts off very slow."
8. Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora (Hantsuki), 1st Opening, "Aoi Koufuku" by nobuko
- Chase's Notes: "The cinematography at the beginning gets a nod, as well as the syncing of music to action."
7. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, 1st Opening, "Inner Universe" by Origa
- Chase's Notes: "Yes, I know: It's new series, but I love it, so shut your blowhole. Hantsuki gets a high placement just for the portion where the feathers are rising in the air."
6. Ghost in the Shell: SAC 2nd GIG, 2nd Opening, "Rise" by Origa
- Chase's Notes: "Beautiful animation. They could have gone the route of many-an-anime, by having an opening with simple flashbacks or include basic animation, but instead they did the show justice by rendering such a gorgeous opening."
5. Naruto, 4th Opening, "GO!!!" by Flow
- Chase's Notes: "Think of my thoughts on the first opening, but to a much grander elaboration. For some reason, I adore the parts where Motoko is split into televisions and the very end when she turns her head. It is probably because it's dramatic, and I am drawn to drama. ^_^"
4. Fullmetal Alchemist, 2nd Opening, "Ready, Steady, GO!" by L'Arc~en~Ciel
- Chase's Notes: "A great ratio and synchronization of action and music. The latest Naruto opening has poor animation, but luckily, it's previous works were much better."
3. Paradise Kiss, 2nd Opening, "Lonely in Gorgeous" by Tommy
- Chase's Notes: "I've watched this opening so much that the song has become rather irritating. However, this opening is splendid, in all regards."
2. Evangelion, 1st Opening, "Cruel Angel's Thesis" by Megumi Hayashibara
- Chase's Notes: "Yes, a rather new (newly departed) series with a well-developed opening. Lonely in Gorgeous has a great flow to its sound that is almost hypnotic and compels one to watch through the opening."
1. Fullmetal Alchemist, 4th Opening, "Rewrite" by Asian Kung-Fu Generation
- Chase's Notes: "This wasn't chosen solely due to my love of the series. The opening is dynamic with significant bits of text embedded within the art."
- Chase's Notes: "Featuring one of my favorite songs of recent memory, this FMA opening is just magnificent. From the direction in the beginning (and throughout), to the timing, and the score. It's just an extraordinary opening, and would do justice for any series."
Feel free to post your thoughts, or own lists; preferrably.