AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > My HiME / My Otome

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2006-05-15, 14:29   Link #21
NaNash|
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bloodlust Kid
Annan: I think it's suppose to be Annam, an archaic name for Vietnam used by Imperial China and the french.
I disagree.

Guen is the king of which country? Annan.
How it was pronounced in the anime? Gu-EN (doesn't it sounds like UN? If that's the case, Annan means Secretary General of UN, Kofi Annan)

Notice the building that Yukino hold meeting? It's a hexagon. Doesn't it rings a bell of a certain inportant building in the US where lotsa miltary people meet?

Well, these two are the only ones I could think of at the moment.
NaNash| is offline  
Old 2006-05-15, 14:36   Link #22
NaNash|
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Found it on Wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mai_Otome )

There are a few possible references to nuclear chemistry regarding the Aswad. The REM that Midori wears can also be interpreted as a reference to the unit of measuring the amount radioactive damage on biological tissue, the rem (roentgen equivalent for man). Rad's name could also be a reference to the unit for absorption of energy per kilogram of tissue, the rad (radiation absorbed dose). (The difference is that the rad measures only energy absorption, while rem directly measures biological damage.)

These two terms are also related to each other mathematically: (# rems) = (# rads) (RBE/relative biological effectiveness) The radioactivity reference is likely since there are other references to radiation damage with the Aswad, such as the sickness that the Aswad people suffer as a result of powerful weapons which left the land a desert wasteland, analogous to the nuclear bomb and radiation sickness.
NaNash| is offline  
Old 2006-05-17, 23:24   Link #23
The Bloodlust Kid
Needs a better screenname
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to The Bloodlust Kid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaNash|
I disagree.

Guen is the king of which country? Annan.
How it was pronounced in the anime? Gu-EN (doesn't it sounds like UN? If that's the case, Annan means Secretary General of UN, Kofi Annan)

Notice the building that Yukino hold meeting? It's a hexagon. Doesn't it rings a bell of a certain inportant building in the US where lotsa miltary people meet?

Well, these two are the only ones I could think of at the moment.
He's named as Nguyen Bao, the site refers to him as "King of Annam". Further support to that is his Otome is name ANH LU.
The Bloodlust Kid is offline  
Old 2006-05-22, 07:28   Link #24
WarpObscura
Bibliophile
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: There's this dot on the world map...
Now "Shizuru". What significance does this name hold? About Names has it not in their list, before anyone points me there.
__________________

Yo dawg, I heard you like QB...

Thanks MAEt for the av!
WarpObscura is offline  
Old 2006-05-22, 07:54   Link #25
NaNash|
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpObscura
Now "Shizuru". What significance does this name hold? About Names has it not in their list, before anyone points me there.
Shizuru means "Sizzle" according to http://www.freedict.com/onldict/jap.html

"静"means quiet, while I'm not sure the meaning of "留" (Although it means remain/stay in Chinese)

Last edited by NaNash|; 2006-05-22 at 09:15.
NaNash| is offline  
Old 2006-06-06, 22:25   Link #26
Yazakura
Enigma of Nothing
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle WA, USA
The name "Midori" has two meanings.

#1: Green (When written in Hiragana, I believe)
#2: Pretty Bird (When written in Kanji, I'll have to double check this next time I see my tutor.

I looked for Takumi's name in my dictionary, and it turns out his name literally means "Skillful."
Yazakura is offline  
Old 2007-01-06, 10:48   Link #27
AceMan
Observer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Poland
Age: 27
Send a message via ICQ to AceMan
Okay, I want to ask you one important question.

Is Arika's mother name Rena or Lena? In the OVA there is clearly written "Lena", but you all use "Rena" all the time.. so what is correct?
__________________
AceMan is offline  
Old 2007-01-06, 11:50   Link #28
Sansana
a green tea lover
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Poland
Age: 25
Send a message via ICQ to Sansana Send a message via MSN to Sansana
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceMan View Post
Okay, I want to ask you one important question.

Is Arika's mother name Rena or Lena? In the OVA there is clearly written "Lena", but you all use "Rena" all the time.. so what is correct?
I believe it's Rena because in Hepbourn's romanization system her katakana name
レナ is for re(レ) and na(ナ). Note there is no 'l' in this system at all.

Furthermore the link to her bio on sunrise website is http://www.my-zhime.net/tv/character/rena.html
Sansana is offline  
Old 2007-01-06, 17:10   Link #29
AthenAltena
Sister of the Forks
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Miyu's name in Kanji (深優) means deep or extreme gentleness, and she's the Merciful Intellegential Yggdrasil Unit in MO.

The first kanji of Shizuru's name is in fact "Shizuka" (read as Shizu in context) while the second literally means "to stop, halt, detain or keep". Her family name also shares its first kanji with the famous Fujiwara clan of the Heian era, to suggest her Kyoto connection as well as her nobility. The fact that she uses a naginata also suggests nobility as it was usually used in the Sengoku Jidai by samurai women and noble women.

Mai's family name actually has to do with a bird called a bustard and wings, probably referencing Kagutsuchi being a phoenix. And actually, this is a bustard, who even kinda resembles Kagutsuchi.
__________________

Last edited by AthenAltena; 2007-01-06 at 17:15. Reason: Mai's name, bustard
AthenAltena is offline  
Old 2007-01-07, 10:48   Link #30
gashunum
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Rena's official name is Lena, I think you can see it from zwei
gashunum is offline  
Old 2007-01-07, 11:34   Link #31
AthenAltena
Sister of the Forks
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by gashunum View Post
Rena's official name is Lena, I think you can see it from zwei
Yeah, it's in the newspaper that reads "Arinko Save Us!". The reason it's spelled that way probably has to do with the character she was based on (Rena Yuuki) or was just an aesthetic decision.

And on the same subject, "Sayers" is probably a derivation of Searrs. I'm not sure of the exact meaning of Searrs but it's probably supposed to suggest a foreigner, and conglomerate. I also can't help but notice how George Sears from Metal Gear Solid 2 was an installed president and the HiME SEARRS is supposedly in control of the US presidency.
__________________
AthenAltena is offline  
Old 2007-01-07, 11:37   Link #32
Fukiri
Lazy ass
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Anywhere where there is food and a warm bed.
Send a message via MSN to Fukiri
Two more to add:

Mikoto means divine, so it might be the reason why she is the cat Goddess on Otome.

About Zipangu, this is only a suspicion but it can be a reference to the anime "Zipang", pronouced "Zipangu" in Japanese, since one of the main characters is Lt. Commander Takumi Kusaka. Maybe this is why Takumi is the ruler of Zipangu.
Fukiri is offline  
Old 2007-01-07, 13:26   Link #33
EvilMink
Bored Being
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: それは... 秘密です
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaNash| View Post
There are a few possible references to nuclear chemistry regarding the Aswad.
I wouldn't say it's about 'nuclear chemistry'... the arabic meaning of 'aswad' is 'black', and this sounds more plausible.
EvilMink is offline  
Old 2007-01-07, 15:01   Link #34
AthenAltena
Sister of the Forks
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMink View Post
I wouldn't say it's about 'nuclear chemistry'... the arabic meaning of 'aswad' is 'black', and this sounds more plausible.
I think the phrasing of that should have been "There are several references to nuclear chemistry within the Aswad" although Black itself is traditionally associated with death and corruption. RAD and REM are the most obvious.

Reito's name (黎人) can also literally be read as "Black Person" referring to his possession of the Obsidian Lord and even his uniform color. Kanzaki also contains the characters "神" meaning a supernatural being or god and "崎" meaning rough, even or jagged. Minagi also contains the characters for beautiful "美" and "袋" which is a bit vague but usually has something to do with bags or a container of some sort, which probably is used to suggest servitude and expendability.
__________________

Last edited by AthenAltena; 2007-01-07 at 15:13. Reason: Kanzaki, Minagi
AthenAltena is offline  
Old 2007-10-11, 00:32   Link #35
Sikon
この世界は腐っている!
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: N City, N Oblast
Age: 27
Here's a theory regarding Fumi (二三), which I also added to the article about her on Wikipedia. I think SS's explanation involving 一二三祝詞 (hifumi norito) was too convoluted to possibly be intentional, and frankly, I think they managed to miss the obvious explanation when composing the page!



二三 means "two-three". February 3 (2/3) is both Fumi and Mashiro's birthday. Therefore, it was a hint to a link between these two characters.
__________________
"The Expanded Otomeverse"

"You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water."
~ Samantha Carter
Sikon is offline  
Old 2007-10-13, 15:07   Link #36
Same_Shark
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hellhole, Louisiana
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaNash| View Post
I disagree.

Guen is the king of which country? Annan.
How it was pronounced in the anime? Gu-EN (doesn't it sounds like UN? If that's the case, Annan means Secretary General of UN, Kofi Annan)

Notice the building that Yukino hold meeting? It's a hexagon. Doesn't it rings a bell of a certain inportant building in the US where lotsa miltary people meet?

Well, these two are the only ones I could think of at the moment.
It is Annam and Annam was an old name ofr Vietnam, which is the reason Nguyen(pronounced kinda like "wen") and Ahn both have Vietnamese names.
Same_Shark is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:51.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.