AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2006-03-29, 14:23   Link #1
Crusher_Joe

Video size too large when made into DVD

I have run into a problem after I burn my Anime into DVD.

For some unknown reason my DVD burner blows the video up and when I play it on my DVD player my subtitles are cut off. It is as if I am wathing the episodes with the zoom button pushed.

Can anyone give me some tips to fix this?

Thanks,
Crusher Joe
Crusher_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-29, 18:09   Link #2
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Yes. The video is not expanded in size, your problem lies elsewhere. The problem is that the edge of the video is cut off by your TV. The term for this is "overscan" and if you want to know all about it, then read this: http://www.mastersofcinema.org/revie...kingbeyond.htm

The standard way to deal with this problem is to add black bars around the video image. That way the TV will cut off the black bars and your subtitles are untouched. I'll refer you to another thread on our forum: Convert AVI/MKV/MP4 to DVD.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-29, 20:22   Link #3
TaoMaster

You need Virtual Dub Mod
If you read the above Thread it goes through it. When you reencode these using VDub you need to raise the bitrate to at least 2000kb or something respectable otherwise the picture turns out "pixelly". I am sure there is a better way to reencode but I have found that it takes way to much time and work to do it any other way

In VDub I use this wording to add my borders

AVISource("C:\youravi.avi")
Lanczos4Resize(640,480)
AddBorders(48,32,48,32)
TaoMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-30, 01:41   Link #4
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

AviSynth primer for adding borders

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoMaster
In VDub I use this wording to add my borders

AVISource("C:\youravi.avi")
Lanczos4Resize(640,480)
AddBorders(48,32,48,32)
You're not aiming at your target audience. It is unlikely that anyone who would ask this question would have a clue how to apply this advice, good as it is. He probably doesn't even know what avisynth is. Allow me to elucidate for his sake.

Most encoding programs, such as vDub, TMPGEnc or CCE will accept a avisynth file in leiu of a video. An avisynth file is a script that can preprocess the video in various ways. You want this script file to add on borders. The first thing you need to do is to install Avisynth on your computer. Then use notepad to create a file called "borders.avs" containing the following text:
Quote:
Originally Posted by borders.avs
DirectShowSource("C:\youravi.avi",fps=23.976,convertfps=true)
LanczosResize(660,440)
AddBorders(30,20,30,20)
ConvertToYUY2()
Naturally you use the actual path and name of your video instead of "C:\youravi.avi". Once you've created the .avs file, tell your encoding program to encode the avs file, instead of the video. If you do this, your video will have black bars around it just the right size to ensure that your subtitles are visible when you play it on your TV set.

IMPORTANT NOTE: In the example above I was assuming that your video's aspect ratio was 4:3 or full-screen. If you have a widescreen or letter-boxed video with an aspect ratio of 16:9 it won't work properly. In that case, you need to create the following avisynth file to use:
Quote:
Originally Posted by widescreen-borders.avs
DirectShowSource("C:\youravi.avi",fps=23.976,convertfps=true)
LanczosResize(660,330)
AddBorders(30,75,30,75)
ConvertToYUY2()

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-31, 11:05   Link #5
Crusher_Joe

Success

I gave Queue a try and it worked thanks a bunch guys .
Ofcourse now I have about 30 episodes and counting to convert.

Pizza is on me!!!

Once again.....Thank You Very Very Much for the Help.
Crusher_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote