AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-02-21, 06:16   Link #181
Narzia
┐(-。ー')┌

It came to me when i was reading, once again, Pullmans His dark Materials Trilogy.
What if your soul, or rather your consciousness scatters across everything?

You will "live" on in every blade of grass, in each leaf of every tree. The water, the air... the whole universe and reality.
But something like... afterlife? Hell and heaven? No, no... don't give me that bullshit.

For me, i'm glad i'm not immortal. Sure, live is hard, can be very hard. But it can be fun too. I for one don't wish to spend my last years as an old geezer unable to do anything than barely staying alive. And i'm sure at that age i would be somewhat tired of "living" anyway.

Also.. what i wouldn't mind is the complete ceasing of ones existence. No awareness would be left. Boring? Who cares! You don't exist anyway!

Reincarnation could be fun too, even though it sounds a bit trashy. But at least let me chose like my sex and wealth next time, alright? ^^
Narzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-12, 01:03   Link #182
Gemstar
Banned

Death is an escape from reality
Gemstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-12, 03:17   Link #183
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narzia View Post
It came to me when i was reading, once again, Pullmans His dark Materials Trilogy.
What if your soul, or rather your consciousness scatters across everything?

You will "live" on in every blade of grass, in each leaf of every tree. The water, the air... the whole universe and reality.
But something like... afterlife? Hell and heaven? No, no... don't give me that bullshit.

For me, i'm glad i'm not immortal. Sure, live is hard, can be very hard. But it can be fun too. I for one don't wish to spend my last years as an old geezer unable to do anything than barely staying alive. And i'm sure at that age i would be somewhat tired of "living" anyway.

Also.. what i wouldn't mind is the complete ceasing of ones existence. No awareness would be left. Boring? Who cares! You don't exist anyway!

Reincarnation could be fun too, even though it sounds a bit trashy. But at least let me chose like my sex and wealth next time, alright? ^^
haha im satisfying myself with the same conclusion.. this line of thought is.. bad.. it really tears you up for a while.. though it is true that you will live on in everything around you... so i better make sure i get buried and dont end up in an urn
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-12, 04:19   Link #184
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I've heard many times that your perception of death changes with age, so even right now I really have no thoughts about death except that I don't want to die soon, I'll dare say that it might change.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-12, 04:27   Link #185
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Send a message via ICQ to D a m i e n
death is the last thing one should experience in his life.
D a m i e n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-12, 22:18   Link #186
Ray Huynh

I think its the end for all humans and its unescapable since their is no enternal life so bear with it I guess.. ;
Ray Huynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 14:45   Link #187
mangalowres
AS Mods Sandbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by D a m i e n View Post
death is the last thing one should experience in his life.
Pretty funny, since death is definitely the last thing you will experience in your life.
mangalowres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 15:28   Link #188
ZeosX
Oh castitatis lilium

Send a message via AIM to ZeosX Send a message via MSN to ZeosX
My thoughts on death are... well, you die. Every human will die at some point, and part of me thinks that's it, eternal slumber.

The other part of me believes in spirit energy and a different plane you enter upon death. But I think I lean more towards nothingness (the first theory I mentioned).
ZeosX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 16:55   Link #189
Gemstar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangalowres View Post
Pretty funny, since death is definitely the last thing you will experience in your life.
How can that be the last thing one would experience in life when there is something called reincarnation ?
Gemstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 17:04   Link #190
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemstar View Post
How can that be the last thing one would experience in life when there is something called reincarnation ?
Well, "in life"

When you are dead, doesn't that mean you are no longer on with your life? Plus, while there may be a possibility of that exists, something like reincarnation hasn't been proven to be true yet.

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
teachopvutru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 18:58   Link #191
ZeosX
Oh castitatis lilium

As tiachopvutru said, reincarnation hasn't been proven to be true. But seriously, how could it be scientifically proven? It falls under the same restraint as other theological theories and entities (Heaven, Hell, God(s), Angels, Demons, etc) in a sense that it cannot be scientifically proven... at least at this point.

Taken from an article:
Quote:
...Stevenson spent over 40 years devoted to the study of children who have apparently spoken about a past life. In each case, Professor Stevenson methodically documented the child's statements. Then he identified the deceased person the child allegedly identified with, and verified the facts of the deceased person's life that matched the child's memory. He also matched birthmarks and birth defects to wounds and scars on the deceased, verified by medical records such as autopsy photographs.
This is very interesting, however things like this are not *proof* of reincarnation. Most "proof" people have given me and that I've seen in the past are stories like the one above.
Old 2008-03-14, 09:25   Link #192
mangalowres
AS Mods Sandbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeosX View Post
This is very interesting, however things like this are not *proof* of reincarnation. Most "proof" people have given me and that I've seen in the past are stories like the one above.
Still funny, I don't know the correct english term, but there is something which you could call genetic memorys, mostly know from animals. Parents bequeath informations to their children.
And it could possibly be that humans do something like that too.

Reincarnation, Heaven, Hell and all that stuff is a dream, nothing more nothing less.
Humans fear the death, they fear death for thousends of years.
So our ancestors did the only thing that they could do, they cearted fairy tales to fight their fears. They told their children that there is more, death is only the beginning and so on....

But look at the world(universe) we life in, humanty will vanish someday and there will be nothing left which reminds others that we have every existed.
And after thinking a few years about that you should accept that there are no fairies, no demons, no heaven, no hell, no god, no reincarnation just live, death and nothing.
Hope and dream as much as you want but the reality won't change.
Old 2008-03-14, 11:32   Link #193
ZeosX
Oh castitatis lilium

Quote:
And after thinking a few years about that you should accept that there are no fairies, no demons, no heaven, no hell, no god, no reincarnation just live, death and nothing.
Hope and dream as much as you want but the reality won't change.
Are you saying that I do believe in those things? Because I don't and I never claimed to.
Old 2008-03-14, 12:07   Link #194
mangalowres
AS Mods Sandbag

I don't know what you think, belive or belive to think.
You was meant to you people not only to you ... ah german differentiate this a lot better.
Old 2008-03-15, 08:15   Link #195
Pasteurized Milk
All I Care About is Japan

I have this...theory...that death is a meager figment of our imagination.

Did I mention it's a REALLY BAD theory with many errors, logical holes, and frowned upon by the preponderance of society? 'Cause...
Pasteurized Milk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-15, 08:55   Link #196
ZeosX
Oh castitatis lilium

You don't have to mention the obvious.
Old 2008-03-15, 10:44   Link #197
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Well for me I don't believe in there being an afterlife like going to Heaven or hell or anything a long those lines. I don't have a defenite belief of what my happen but I always think of it as one of two things. Nothing happens and if thats so I shouldn't be scared of dieing because I won't be anything after I die, thats it, my existence is over and there is no point worrying about something when you won't even be anything or remeber anything. You'll just be nothing so its no worth getting worked up about.

Another thing I find a possibilty is that something does happen on the lines of your mind or perception is somewhat (how to say) released. I know this is harder to explain, but think of it as your eternal thought or your entire life plays back over and over without you knowing it. In a sense thats afterlife. And based off this particuler belief of mine it helps me explain why people feel as though they have past lifes. I believe that these "wandering" thoughts or life playbacks are somehow caught in the perceptions of others making them relieve parts of anothers life. This also gives me a somewhat answer for why people see ghosts or spirits. They're seeing another persons life played back. I know it must sound very confusing but its really hard for me to explain it.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-15, 14:23   Link #198
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post
Another thing I find a possibilty is that something does happen on the lines of your mind or perception is somewhat (how to say) released. I know this is harder to explain, but think of it as your eternal thought or your entire life plays back over and over without you knowing it. In a sense thats afterlife. And based off this particuler belief of mine it helps me explain why people feel as though they have past lifes. I believe that these "wandering" thoughts or life playbacks are somehow caught in the perceptions of others making them relieve parts of anothers life. This also gives me a somewhat answer for why people see ghosts or spirits. They're seeing another persons life played back. I know it must sound very confusing but its really hard for me to explain it.
Well, I believe you say that people subconsciously play back their memory and perceives it as reality, giving it a feeling of half dream-like/half real-like. It does sound feasible, but that still doesn't explain deja-vu. Deja-vu can occurs at even places where you haven't gone to. In addition, what if they see ghosts or spirits of someone they didn't know before?

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
Old 2008-03-15, 14:38   Link #199
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiachopvutru View Post
Well, I believe you say that people subconsciously play back their memory and perceives it as reality, giving it a feeling of half dream-like/half real-like. It does sound feasible, but that still doesn't explain deja-vu. Deja-vu can occurs at even places where you haven't gone to. In addition, what if they see ghosts or spirits of someone they didn't know before?
I kind of was caught up in the moment when I typed that ghost thing out. So I would just ignore that; just rambling on my part. I've never really been much of a believer of ghosts.

Anyways onto Deja-vu. It is said to be triggered from something of familirity to a person. Even if one hasn't been to a place where one expierenced Deja-vu it could have very well been something other than just the place (like and object) that triggered the Deja-vu. So I personally don't see how being in a place is the only factor for causing Deja-vu as if its just something of familiraity that causes it, you don't have to be in a place you've been before for Deja-vu to occur.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-15, 15:09   Link #200
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post
I kind of was caught up in the moment when I typed that ghost thing out. So I would just ignore that; just rambling on my part. I've never really been much of a believer of ghosts.

Anyways onto Deja-vu. It is said to be triggered from something of familirity to a person. Even if one hasn't been to a place where one expierenced Deja-vu it could have very well been something other than just the place (like and object) that triggered the Deja-vu. So I personally don't see how being in a place is the only factor for causing Deja-vu as if its just something of familiraity that causes it, you don't have to be in a place you've been before for Deja-vu to occur.
To a certain extend, I do agree with that you. It could be the space, or the atmosphere of the place that they did not remember that they felt as deja-vu. While deja-vu also includes a certain event, but if you have ever feel deja-vu before, something happens to you real do not feel like "contemporary life" at all. In that sense, it could explain how deja-vu is used to support reincarnation... whether how credible or not that is...

Of course, if it isn't due to familiarity, I don't see how one can feel like he already visited some place before--places look different after a while. On an anecdotal level, it could explain to myself how I felt deja-vu more when I was a little kid in comparison to now. Unless, a person's past life overlapsed with this life's time, or a person due to certain circumstances, relives the life they have died of.

Well... just ranting.

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga

Tags
death, existentialism