AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-01-07, 16:45   Link #81
JustInn14
moo

Red face zzzzzzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperMagic View Post
My thoughts on death? Simple, a real swift and fast one.....
Yeah. Same here. Does believing in anything alter your chances of going to an Underworld/AfterLife?!
Old 2008-01-07, 22:31   Link #82
bahftw

Send a message via AIM to bahftw Send a message via Yahoo to bahftw
hmmm im not religious, but i do believe in a creator, so i guess, ill kinda do whatever
bahftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 00:55   Link #83
serenade_beta
マジ天使

It depends on my mood...

1. I fear death as if it was stalking me, because I can't die until I watch Code Geass R2. Then after that's over, I find another reason to live. Reason=show.

2. I believe I'm immortal and won't die <--these periods last a short amount of time though

3. I hope that I will reincarnate when I die.

4. I wish I could really be immortal.

-Tried to start a blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 01:31   Link #84
Dxon
Inactive user

I believe that there is no Hell or Heaven. People ask themselves if there is anything after you die. Well there is not. Because there is no evidence of something that comes after death. People would also say yes. But there is also no evidence that it does not exist. Then I'm like: "Dude, you people have to proof it does. We don't have to proof it does not. Since it doesn't."

But maybe it DOES exist because people believe in it... Hmm... And so on and on and on. Like this you can come up with a lot of things! ^^
I just think that death is the end for any organism. And there is nothing after death. Maybe your funeral but you won't notice. ^^
Dxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 01:46   Link #85
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dxon View Post
Because there is no evidence of something that comes after death. People would also say yes.
There is a flaw with your logic of not having evidence of the afterlife. You don't have evidence that there isn't anything after death. Bleh, sorry it's the agnostic talking in me.

The idea of memory reset + immortality is greater than I originally anticipated. I could rewatch every single anime I hold dear to my heart ALL OVER again.That is almost what I would call ultimate happiness to me.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 01:57   Link #86
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
There is a flaw with your logic of not having evidence of the afterlife. You don't have evidence that there isn't anything after death. Bleh, sorry it's the agnostic talking in me.
I would say it's not a matter of proof. It's a matter of faith.
Old 2008-01-08, 09:04   Link #87
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post

The idea of memory reset + immortality is greater than I originally anticipated. I could rewatch every single anime I hold dear to my heart ALL OVER again.That is almost what I would call ultimate happiness to me.
The only fear I have of that is that with a memory reset, would we still be in control of our actions? Or would we be completely different people? Like, let's say that I died and was reborn into a Mafia family. Odds are, someone in a Mafia family does not watch or enjoy anime. But we do. So, would we be the same person in control of our actions?
Old 2008-01-08, 15:20   Link #88
Sodagod
Nightcrawler
*Artist

Send a message via Skype™ to Sodagod
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissieXD View Post
The only fear I have of that is that with a memory reset, would we still be in control of our actions? Or would we be completely different people?
I'd say that we wouldn't be the same again. Ever. The environment and way in which we grow up/are raised makes us what we are. With your memory wiped clean your personality, preferences etc. would be formed anew and no two persons grow up to be completely the same.
Old 2008-01-08, 15:26   Link #89
RaizeN
I smell like Teen Spirit?

Send a message via AIM to RaizeN Send a message via MSN to RaizeN
Well without death there would be no balance in the Earth, the world would be extremely overpopulated and some people we wouldnt want would still be alive, I dont fear death, but its strange how it happens. The only thing that I wonder is, where would we go after death?
RaizeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 15:31   Link #90
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodagod View Post
I'd say that we wouldn't be the same again. Ever. The environment and way in which we grow up/are raised makes us what we are. With your memory wiped clean your personality, preferences etc. would be formed anew and no two persons grow up to be completely the same.
So then it would just be like reading a book and superimposing yourself as one of the characters.
Old 2008-01-08, 15:58   Link #91
Sodagod
Nightcrawler
*Artist

Something like that. But, come to think about it, the whole rebirth theory seems silly. The overall population is constantly growing and in the last ~150 years the increase has been extreme. So are there like new souls created to put up with the increasing growth?
Old 2008-01-08, 15:59   Link #92
Mashda2k6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay View Post

Fighting for survival like a warrior? (Not likely, not in our weak period of history)

etc etc

??
I'd somehow like to die like honorably like a hero. To be remembered by others than my family. (I'm okay with my faimly too hehe.)

Also I'm 15 and in half year I'm heading to high school. Now in...(middle school?) 7-9 grades now when I'm on the 9th grade I have realized these years with my friends in school fooling around has probably been the most fun time in my life.

Watching anime together, playing games like World Of Warcraft at LANs, going to movies with like 9 friends, extremely funny inside jokes and stuff. I'd like to stay like this forever, I think the fun would never stop!

In reality I'm trying to enjoy the last six months of it. It may not stop on high school but for sure it will decrease.
Mashda2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 16:16   Link #93
arcadeplayer987

I believe in reincarnation so I think the death is just a path to another life

www.arcadebuilder.net - The Best Arcade Script. Own your own arcade website today
arcadeplayer987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 16:55   Link #94
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
Something like that. But, come to think about it, the whole rebirth theory seems silly. The overall population is constantly growing and in the last ~150 years the increase has been extreme. So are there like new souls created to put up with the increasing growth?
Just to play the devil's advocate, other worlds.

But I believe in an afterlife anyways, not reincarnation.
Old 2008-01-08, 17:04   Link #95
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Quote:
Well, if you consider the core of life is a soul, and living things all have souls, then it wouldn't be surprising if let's say, many humans are the reincarnations of worms, cats, dogs, etc. Of course, there are also the possibilities of lives on other planets, and after reincarnation, they got here, and it can even extend to alternate universe. Or, the souls that were already there may have not gotten life until recently. Also, who can say whether or not there's a universe before this, with a lot of lives and souls, but it went boom only to be revived back recently, but the souls preserved. Then, there's also the possibility that soul functions like cells, which does duplication.

The point is, the way I see it, it can only be silly because it can't be proven, whether reincarnation is true or false.

Personally, I believe that reincarnation is true. But just as there is a beginning to everything (or should be), I also believe that there's the end of it.

In any case, it looks like a lot of us rather die a quick, painless death. I guess I'm the same... (who wanna die a long and painful death? <.<)

But if something like reincarnation exists... would you rather have it that way or would you prefer that death is the end of things?

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
teachopvutru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 17:15   Link #96
Robotnik
Not a member

Quote:
Or reincarnation could happen in non-linear time like in the Air anime, i.e., the same soul could be reborn and coexist in the same time as its other incarnations. I've also read a few sci-fi stories where "soulmates" turned out to literally be reincarnations of the same soul.

Not that I believe any of this, mind you
Robotnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 17:33   Link #97
Sodagod
Nightcrawler
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiachopvutru View Post
Personally, I believe that reincarnation is true. But just as there is a beginning to everything (or should be), I also believe that there's the end of it.

In any case, it looks like a lot of us rather die a quick, painless death. I guess I'm the same... (who wanna die a long and painful death? <.<)

But if something like reincarnation exists... would you rather have it that way or would you prefer that death is the end of things?
So do you imply that the reincarnation process would come to a halt eventually?

As for the painless death, pain is something we all try to instinctively avoid, so I don't expect anyone to say that he desires to die a long and painful one.

And I personally don't believe in reincarnation (prove me wrong, I dare you )
I believe that after a person dies, his/hers spiritual energy remains and bonds with the earth again.

However, those are just (my) beliefs and theoretical assumptions...
Old 2008-01-08, 18:32   Link #98
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Quote:
So do you imply that the reincarnation process would come to a halt eventually?
Yes Although I also believe that the reincarnation just doesn't abruptly ends for everyone, but that it varies among different persons. Of course, as was already said, it was under the very basic assumption that there's the beginning and then there's the end for everything. But heh, if the beginning was like the whole chicken & egg thing, then I no longer know anymore.

Quote:
As for the painless death, pain is something we all try to instinctively avoid, so I don't expect anyone to say that he desires to die a long and painful one.
Yea, I suppose that it's no surprise, although there are probably those exist that like pain. My teacher told me that for psycho (serial killers, etc.), pain and suffering are like drugs to them. Of course, there is a reason for them to be called "psycho," but if I were to stretch it into some kinds of melodrama, it could be something like "I want a long and painful death because until the very last moment, I want something to prove that I was still alive, that I still existed." Extremely unlikely, though. But there's also the case of someone who's under an extreme psychological stress.

Quote:
And I personally don't believe in reincarnation (prove me wrong, I dare you )
Well, I already said that the only reason that makes reincarnation silly is that there's no method to prove that it exists. So no, I can't prove you wrong.

However, maybe let's me rephrase that question so that it would be better. If there are two routes, one route to a world that reincarnation exists, one route to a world that dying is the end, which would you choose?

How does that sound?

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
teachopvutru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 18:42   Link #99
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Hmmmm, the evidence suggests that your consciousness is just a temporary "standing wave" if you will (emergent patterns of complexity from simpler mechanics)... so dying is a dissolution of the emergent phenomenom of consciousness.

Now, I'd LIKE to think that people pretty much continue to exist in some version of afterlife that they *expect* to go to (there's been some pretty interesting fantasy/sci-fi stories to that effect, including a Robin Williams film).... but there's absolutely no evidence to support that... only anecdote and faith.

I'll find out soon enough, until then I'll try to avoid the problem for as long as things are interesting.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 18:43   Link #100
.S2K
S2K is here.
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to .S2K
Hmm, my thoughts...Well not many want it but hey, it'll happen.

Tags
death, existentialism