AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-01-08, 18:48   Link #101
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: uk, England
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
I dam hope that reincarnation isn't real because one lifetime of hard work is enough for me
I don't believe anything would happen after death...to me dying is like going to sleep - you don't remember the period between sleeping and waking up (unless you are having dreams or nightmares) so to me that is what death is like. Nothing, I don't know I'm dead or I don't know if I'm living.
But another part of me wishes for a heaven and hell...hopefully I'll be landing a place in the clouds if that's the case
__________________

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 21:15   Link #102
Kristen
Senior Member
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Virginia Tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
I dam hope that reincarnation isn't real because one lifetime of hard work is enough for me
I don't believe anything would happen after death...to me dying is like going to sleep - you don't remember the period between sleeping and waking up (unless you are having dreams or nightmares) so to me that is what death is like. Nothing, I don't know I'm dead or I don't know if I'm living.
But another part of me wishes for a heaven and hell...hopefully I'll be landing a place in the clouds if that's the case
"Dream... I'm living in a dream without an end..."

This is the reason why I do believe in afterlife. Because when a life ends, how can you just not understand what is going on for eternity? 90 years, and then nothing? It's like, when a person dies while awake, does the world go black, and then that's it?
__________________
Kristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 23:02   Link #103
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Examining your own non-existence baffles many people.... I guess I should ask:
"what were you thinking during the Ice Age, 10000 yrs ago?"
That's how death may feel..... it simply won't. Just like you're sometimes in a dreamless sleep state with no conscious awareness.
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 23:30   Link #104
Kristen
Senior Member
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Virginia Tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Examining your own non-existence baffles many people.... I guess I should ask:
"what were you thinking during the Ice Age, 10000 yrs ago?"
That's how death may feel..... it simply won't. Just like you're sometimes in a dreamless sleep state with no conscious awareness.
That's also something that I've been having crazy thoughts about. Did I just suddenly spark from nowhere, or was there something before me?

Something says that there is like a pre-Earth world that begins at the start of time and holds all life until it is born into the world, at which point the memories are erased. I don't know what theory that is...
__________________
Kristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-09, 00:00   Link #105
Croix
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Never had much thoughts of such. It will come to pass with the intention of growing old and healthy until the end.
Croix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-09, 01:03   Link #106
Akherousin
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Colorado, USA
Send a message via AIM to Akherousin Send a message via MSN to Akherousin
Reincarnation sounds good on the surface, but look what's come up. If you're born again, you have no memories whatsoever. Those memories constitute what you are. Why bother?

I dunno, I try to focus on what I can do living too much. Mebbe there's an afterlife, maybe there isn't. I just know that the fact of there being a "hell" is highly improbable, and if there isn't, you just won't exist. A sleepless dream. =]
Akherousin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-09, 01:12   Link #107
Jaden
Witch of Betrayal
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Age: 27
I'd like to be immortal. People are saying that one lifetime is enough and wanting to live too long is distasteful. I don't understand this way of thinking - do they want to die just because they're bored?
__________________
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-09, 02:41   Link #108
Croix
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
I'd like to be immortal. People are saying that one lifetime is enough and wanting to live too long is distasteful. I don't understand this way of thinking - do they want to die just because they're bored?
Try to regress on your thoughts a bit.

Becoming an immortal is out of reach from actuality. Some merely just face the fact and live for or so what they believe in.

We do not "want to die" because we are bored. It is not of our option to choose immortality over aging to a certain age and later on, rot.

Death is inevitable. At least in this time and age. It will come to pass weither we like it or not. To lead a decent life or befall in ruin is up to the individual.
Croix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-09, 03:09   Link #109
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
There's a running theme in fiction that immortals become bored and jaded, so much so that some of them take up suicidal activities for the "feeling alive again" factor.

However, other thoughts on immortality tend to be more complex... the longer one lives the more the brain thrashes about finding ways to organize the memories, so some think memories long disused eventually get lost.

The personal experience I have with memory seems to be this: imagine a fixed length line with your chronological index of memories. When you're 10 yrs old, that ten years of experience fills that line.... so everything seems to take forever.
When you're 50 years old, 50 yrs of experience crowds onto the same fixed length line. So everything seems to race by, days, months, years.

Now imagine being 500 years old, crowding memories onto that same fixed length index line. Then 5000..... you'd hardly notice the come-and-go of short-timers.

And after you'd done everything there was to do 1000s of times, what do you do then?

I do say that human span is too short for people with the mental capacity to find interesting things to do. Watching TV 4+hrs a day isn't one of them. Triple the effective productive lifespan of people (which has happened over the last century in the industrialized regions) and I wonder if the results would be fantastic or just pathetic. Hmmm, that was a condensed ramble of some thoughts that should take pages... argh.
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-09, 14:35   Link #110
Sodagod
Nightcrawler
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Evergreenland
Send a message via Skype™ to Sodagod
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiachopvutru View Post

However, maybe let's me rephrase that question so that it would be better. If there are two routes, one route to a world that reincarnation exists, one route to a world that dying is the end, which would you choose?

How does that sound?
Well, if those would be the only two options I'd choose reincarnation...
After all, living once again is better than just eternal nothing.
__________________
Timendi causa est nescire
Sodagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 06:23   Link #111
TinyRedLeaf
. . .
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
I do say that human span is too short for people with the mental capacity to find interesting things to do. Watching TV 4+hrs a day isn't one of them. Triple the effective productive lifespan of people (which has happened over the last century in the industrialized regions) and I wonder if the results would be fantastic or just pathetic. Hmmm, that was a condensed ramble of some thoughts that should take pages... argh.
Assuming healthy immortality is possible in, say, another 50 years or more, living forever isn't necessarily a bad thing if you can continue finding interesting things to do. And, with things changing as fast as they are today, I think there's actually a lot of new stuff to learn everyday. The only problem is whether you'd find them interesting.

Take Queen Elizabeth II for example. No, she's not immortal, but she's lived through very interesting times -- the Great Depression, WWII, the dissolution of Empire, the Cold War, the end of the Cold War, the popularisation of the Internet, and now, the coming of the Nintendo Wii....

Whatever you may personally think about her, she certainly seems to be someone who has a zest for life. Maybe that's why she has lived so long.(She probably has her mother's genes to thank as well.) If she can do it, why not us? Once we get past that initial mental block -- "immortality is boring" -- things may actually get more interesting.

You've got a good point about the "crowding effect" of too many memories. I'm beginning to experience the same thing as well, and I'm nowhere near 50. But I am getting old.

And yet, strangely enough, I can still visualise many childhood memories. My earliest memory is when I was two-years-old, watching firemen practise their drills at the fire station opposite my family's apartment, while my mother was feeding me. On the other hand, I can't remember what I had for lunch just last week*.

I reckon, the more significant the memory, the less likely you're going to forget.



* Scratch that: I suddenly remembered. My colleagues treated me to lunch, to celebrate my birthday (3 Jan). We went to a Japanese restaurant, and I had very delicious beef.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 13:02   Link #112
Twisted Reality
Is Neither Goth Nor Emo
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Ah! Excellent. Identity issues in life and death.

So what makes you the same person that you were before? You certainly were different as a toddler and will become different as you age. One might presume that you are simply dying each and every moment of your life and being reborn into into a person with roughly the same body and the memories linking you to the moment before.

In other words, identity is fictitious thing dependent upon the continuity of your entire life experience. Identity is therefore a social construct by this token. An acorn is no more an oak tree than a fetus is a human. But we put a vest a lot of our emotional and economic interest upon the future potential of that human-who-is-not-yet-human. A corpse is simply the opposite: emotional interest vested into a human-who-once-was.

Essentially, the abortion issue tries to draw a fine line using a "beating heart" or "brain activity" to try and claim that a fetus is now a real human. However that interdependency of society/body/mind doesn't yet exist to a sophisticated degree, so this is a patently false assumption. The only thing that *does* exist is the vested interest. The potential human. The potential obligations.

Realize that these standards, are to a large degree, simply fictitious. People try to give their love to brain-dead people or corpses. They do these things to their house pets, who they treat like humans. Perhaps the only reason you have an identity is because people collect a lot of useful trivia about the circumstances of your birth and life.

I think this should serve to illustrate my next point. Assume you are a serf. You don't have neat 40-hour work weeks. You can't travel. Your mom died giving birth to you. You are constantly malnourished. You have close no rights or privileges. You're basically the property of a noble. Virtually all your time is spent on survival and most of your siblings have given up the ghost at an early age. This is your lot in life. You work the land. You pop out babies. You die.
Life wasn't always about the pursuit happiness.
You know this. You believe this. You may try to justify your life as being a part of some holy plan. Of course, who really cares what serfs think?

Perhaps the most irritating attitude about people is that they think that justice demands that all life must be happy. They confuse what ought to be (what they want) with the way things actually are. Nor does it necessarily follow that there isn't oblivion after death because you assume that what you want is necessarily what you get. A high standard of living is a recent development in human history. The same goes with a life in the pursuit of happiness. At best, it was maybe a hobby of bored rich people.

By the same token, you can apply this concept to childhood and the notion of romantic love.

Two things to take away from this:
-Identity is invented and determined by fairly arbitrary social standards. (Arguably because life and death are arbitrary.)
-A lot of things you take for granted had to be invented, not given.

This post is winding a bit lengthy, so I'll cut it short and elaborate on my thoughts in some other post.
__________________
There are women who, however you may search them, prove to have no content but are purely masks. The man who associates with such almost spectral, necessarily unsatisfied beings is to be commiserated with, yet it is precisely they who are able to arouse the desire of the man most strongly: he seeks for her soul -- and goes on seeking.
-from Nietzsche's Human, all too Human, s.405, R.J. Hollingdale transl.

Big List of Anime Tropes
Flame Warriors Roster
Twisted Reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 13:07   Link #113
siya
An Intellectual Idiot
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Internet, ranging from the World of Warcraft------Deviantart----and much more!..My mostly WoW
Age: 22
I do not know....As of this moment, I do not want to die...I've been raised to be a Christan, so you know, not believeing in god you are told you will burn in hell for all eterinty, which scares me to know end because I want to believe, but I don't know if I do...it's complicated....

If I had my choice...I would want to not so much be immortal...but choose when I want to die...like I live for like 4,000 years (with out ageing....noone wants to look at the body of a 4,000 year old) that way if I get bored just be like, "ok, kill me," but then with that, you take the consiquences of watching the ones you love die. Which is makes it even worse...so I dunno...
siya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 13:12   Link #114
Supah Em
WHO DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Age: 27
if people knew that they would be going "somewhere else" after they die, im sure many would commit suicide.

why?

because most of us are experiencing hardships in different variations(physical, emotional, intellectual, spiritual and whatnot)


honestly, its a good thing that most information about death is shrouded in mystery
Supah Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 13:55   Link #115
Sodagod
Nightcrawler
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Evergreenland
Send a message via Skype™ to Sodagod
Quote:
Originally Posted by siya View Post
I do not know....As of this moment, I do not want to die...I've been raised to be a Christan, so you know, not believeing in god you are told you will burn in hell for all eterinty, which scares me to know end because I want to believe, but I don't know if I do...it's complicated....

If I had my choice...I would want to not so much be immortal...but choose when I want to die...like I live for like 4,000 years (with out ageing....noone wants to look at the body of a 4,000 year old) that way if I get bored just be like, "ok, kill me," but then with that, you take the consiquences of watching the ones you love die. Which is makes it even worse...so I dunno...
I was raised a Christian too, but I chose not to be. If you don't worship god all of your life you go to hell. So basically you can live your life doing nothing but good deeds and still end up going to hell(if it exists), which is supposed to be the final destination of bad people and I see nothing fair about it.

Religious themes aside, you might want to reconsider your wish. Provided that you wouldn't be studied by scientists trying to find the reason why you don't age, you would go through a lot of pain and misery in those 4000 years. Wars, diseases, etc.
Would it be worth it? For some people, even one lifetime is more than they can bare.


Quote:
Originally Posted by supahem View Post
if people knew that they would be going "somewhere else" after they die, im sure many would commit suicide.

why?

because most of us are experiencing hardships in different variations(physical, emotional, intellectual, spiritual and whatnot)


honestly, its a good thing that most information about death is shrouded in mystery
It depends. If people knew that there indeed is such a place as hell(or something similar) where all the sinners and suicides go to, wouldn't they try to lead a peaceful and caring life?
__________________
Timendi causa est nescire
Sodagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 20:14   Link #116
siya
An Intellectual Idiot
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Internet, ranging from the World of Warcraft------Deviantart----and much more!..My mostly WoW
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by supahem View Post
if people knew that they would be going "somewhere else" after they die, im sure many would commit suicide.

why?

because most of us are experiencing hardships in different variations(physical, emotional, intellectual, spiritual and whatnot)


honestly, its a good thing that most information about death is shrouded in mystery
Well, then you have the fact that alot of religions are against suicide...
siya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 22:11   Link #117
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Location
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
I'd like to be immortal. People are saying that one lifetime is enough and wanting to live too long is distasteful. I don't understand this way of thinking - do they want to die just because they're bored?
Since there is quite a bit of Christian + other beliefs in here, I may as well have an add-on to the whole thing by including a watered-down version (since that pretty much is all I know, and possibly, considerably inaccurate ) of Buddhist philosophy.

- That life is full of constant change AND suffering. Everything is temporary... nothing is permanent.

So according to Buddhist belief, immortality is impossible... and a living thing is subjected to die one day. Of course, everyone knows about that, but let's get to the next part...

- The core of suffering is, as anyone may have learned about the Four Noble Truths would know, is desire. However, it also comes from the unawareness and/or the nonacceptance of the "constant change" said so above.

Not saying that you are, Jaden, but if you keep sticking to the idea of immortality, then according to Buddhist belief, you will suffer from that idea which who-knows-how-many are so fond of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Reality View Post
Life wasn't always about the pursuit happiness.
I personally don't see many ways one would want to see the painful life, except with the following reason
a) To pursuit some kind of happiness.
b) To belief in the ultimate unknown.
c) To live a life to aid someone precious.
d) From Buddhist belief, simply accept. (as horribly scale down as it is, but I honestly don't know how to elaborate on it either >_<)
e) Something I can't think of.

But considering your point, especially with the words "not always" there, then you are probably correct. When I think about it in term of Buddhist philosophy, then a life pursuing happiness isn't complete without accepting the changing of that happiness. Indeed, I would definitely agree, especially so when I think how many who experience unpleasant feeling usually are not aware/cannot accept that change.


Although thinking back now, I think the only thing I have relate death to Buddhist philosophy is the idea of immortality, so I should get back to topic. However, when I started posting this post, I felt that there was a lot more to say but now I honestly no longer know what it was anymore .

As deep as I think Buddhism is, I'm almost embarrass to mention it in my own words, so I hope any Buddhist experts here would elaborate on and correct my words.

However, I think the partial reason why, as I believe in reincarnation, that there would be the end of that cycle as well, is from the Buddhist belief that there's no foreverness. There's also a Buddhist version, which is nirvana, and Hindus version, which is moksha.

But back to Jayden about the immortality issue, as pleasant as living forever may sound, personally I don't know how well I would cope up with it. That's not to say immortality doesn't please part of me, but I'm really unsure whether or not I would want it either.

As the last statement for this post, I apologize how half of my post is pretty much irrelevant to death topic.
__________________

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
teachopvutru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-11, 15:29   Link #118
ThoHell
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
I don't intend on dying...period.....OR so many of us hope anyways.

I think once you're dead, you're dead. There is nothing. Kind of scary but not going to get my hopes up about being able to live on spiritually, or whatever, somewhere else/some other time/as some other thing. Though I hope for comfort by believing "maybe there's more to life after dying", but I think once you die there is nothing.....your existence no longer exist!
__________________
Oh no, my signature was 550 pixles wide and 474 KB. That's too big and it has been deleted by a forum mod, guess I didn't read the Forum Rules. If only I had paid attention I wouldn't have to deal with this irritation now.
ThoHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-11, 17:43   Link #119
Supah Em
WHO DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodagod View Post
It depends. If people knew that there indeed is such a place as hell(or something similar) where all the sinners and suicides go to, wouldn't they try to lead a peaceful and caring life?


meh, no one knows where sinners and suiciders go. heck, we may all be going to the same place after all, regardless of what you do or what you are in this life.


@ siya
its not religion which prevents people from commiting suicide. actually it is the prospect of dying itself and not knowing where it will take you.
Supah Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-11, 18:52   Link #120
Cerollian
DarkMage
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Philosiphy
I find death peacful for me. I cannot bear to see others die and suffer but also i am incompitent and useless. I've messed my life already and I see a short life for me can give others peace.
__________________
To man death brings fear to the brink of insanity. I chose to die inspite of fear.
Cerollian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
death, existentialism

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:13.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.