AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-04-21, 22:27   Link #61
Quarkboy
Anime Translator

Send a message via AIM to Quarkboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chikushou
Yeah, throughout the episode we did use Dream Catchers when referring to the actual people. When I lazily typeset the title screen, I instinctively called it Dream Users. Honestly, while Dream Users is a more accurate translation, it just sounds so silly. Dreamcatchers are something more Westerners might be familiar with. Americans, at least. The broom god things they used reminded me of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreamcatcher_(Native_American), which is why we chose it.
Interesting thought, but from what I know of their background their resemblence is more coincidental than anything else. As for Arienai's subs, I will be leaving the name of the series (and consequently, the name in the subs as well) as Yume Tsukai, whith a note at the end calling them "Dream Users". After all, Rinko and Touko themselves explain a lot about what a Yume Tsukai does in the episode itself, and as to my opinion in a thread a while back, I don't really think a fansubber has the "right" to go and decide on the official english title for the show.
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-22, 02:38   Link #62
Chikushou
Plantgirls, bonsai!

If you're going to say that, you might as well say a fansubber has no right to do translations at all.

Half kidding.

I'm just reminded of a certain Zegapain sub that goes along with your line of thought to the extreme and keeps Greek text in the subs, and adds English verb endings and stuff to the Greek letters. There's a point when you have to buck it up and put things into English. While I don't particularly mind having subs filled with Japanese words since I have a tolerable grasp of the language, people who don't must be put off by lines like, "Last night I went to the toshokan and did some ecchi with senpai and it triggered a jizaihou set up by some mahou shoujo and I almost shinu'd." I'm making that up, but lines like that happen.

Speaking just for me and not our actualy translator, as for Dream Catchers of Dream Users, I think we were more after flow than pure accuracy. I'm not much of a literalist (except when a sentence is hard and I have to break out a dictionary. Things go downill from there).
Chikushou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-22, 03:31   Link #63
Quarkboy
Anime Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chikushou
If you're going to say that, you might as well say a fansubber has no right to do translations at all.
Ah, well, one subtle point that maybe I wasn't so clear on, is the Yume Tsukai is the title of the anime itself. If that weren't the case, then I'd probably translate it. It has to do with the spreading "popularity" issue... If a fansubber chooses a particular name for the show, chances are pretty slim if the show gets licensed that that will be the "official" english name. so it's better to keep the original japanese name for the overall popularity of the series.

I.e. if animesuki listed "Dream Users - 01"... people might not know that it was based of the manga "Yume Tsukai" immediately...

So titles hold a special place for me.

The only japanese I left in my translation is Yume Tsukai, Ikai, Tensou, Madoromi, and Ochazuke.
Old 2006-04-22, 03:32   Link #64
nixie
Nyunga Ro Chaga

Well, Dream Catcher sounds catchier, if anything. I don't particularly mind anyway.

Episode 1:
I did not read the manga, so I'm okay with this. The concept is interesting, the execution of it is blah, the music is awesome, teru teru bouzu is fugly, seiyuu job is great.. All in all, a pretty pleasant show to enjoy after a hard day's work. It's a lot better than Narutaru anime for now. :P
nixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-22, 07:34   Link #65
Chikushou
Plantgirls, bonsai!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy
Ah, well, one subtle point that maybe I wasn't so clear on, is the Yume Tsukai is the title of the anime itself. If that weren't the case, then I'd probably translate it. It has to do with the spreading "popularity" issue... If a fansubber chooses a particular name for the show, chances are pretty slim if the show gets licensed that that will be the "official" english name. so it's better to keep the original japanese name for the overall popularity of the series.

I.e. if animesuki listed "Dream Users - 01"... people might not know that it was based of the manga "Yume Tsukai" immediately...

So titles hold a special place for me.
Oh, I agree with you there. As far as the file name goes, I prefer to leave it in the original Japanese to avoid such problems. I didn't specify that I was only talking about the title screen in the show.

Quote:
The only japanese I left in my translation is Yume Tsukai, Ikai, Tensou, Madoromi, and Ochazuke.
I'd agree with leaving Ochazuke, since it's a food/drink. Ikai works okay as "dream world" or "spirit world" or "underworld", or something along those lines. Tensou is tougher. Maybe "transform"? That one might be fine with a note. Madoromi, meh, everything I can think of involves more than two words, so I'd agree on a note there too. I can't even remember what we translated it as right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixie
I did not read the manga, so I'm okay with this. The concept is interesting, the execution of it is blah, the music is awesome, teru teru bouzu is fugly, seiyuu job is great.. All in all, a pretty pleasant show to enjoy after a hard day's work. It's a lot better than Narutaru anime for now. :P
Having read the manga, I can safely say you'll either be quite glad it's not like the manga or quite let down. I was personally let down, since I love surrealism, narcissistic yuri, and other... "inappropriate" things. The anime is amazingly tame and harmless so far compared to the manga, and it's also much more episodic. I still like it, though.
Chikushou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-22, 08:35   Link #66
kaki

Anyone care to translate the episode synopsis for episode three ??? =D *thank you*
Old 2006-04-22, 09:42   Link #67
Quarkboy
Anime Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaki
Anyone care to translate the episode synopsis for episode three ??? =D *thank you*
Spoiler for episode 3:
Old 2006-04-23, 07:03   Link #68
lavielove

Spoiler:
Old 2006-04-23, 09:51   Link #69
itzfurrball

Send a message via ICQ to itzfurrball Send a message via AIM to itzfurrball Send a message via Yahoo to itzfurrball
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavielove
...waiting for next episode...
we're always waiting, aren't we? even if the show does let down at some points, I'm still anticipating each week's show more than any other show this season. because, well, it's Yume Tsukai
itzfurrball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-23, 21:32   Link #70
Quarkboy
Anime Translator

If I could make some general comments...

After 3 episodes, I have come to the conclusion that this show will not feature any of the disturbing imagery of the manga. I'm pretty confident there won't be a narutarueque twist.

There have been a whole lot of little "hints" to the manga version in the episodes themselves. The final shot in episode 1 was of a rainbow. In episode 2, the opening scene mirrored chapter 10 of the manga, but in a totally different context. In episode 3, the nightmare resembled the woman of the dead (in a certain form). I see these "hints" as evidence that what the creators are doing is taking the basic symbols and themes of the manga and turning it into a much simpler, and less complex collection of metaphors. They're seperating out the themes and making them into 1 story apiece.

Now... I could be very wrong. I see holes left in each of the 3 episodes so far which could be revisted in a much more global context. But that's more a slight option than any neccesity for what I see this anime as being.
Old 2006-04-24, 01:38   Link #71
guenthar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribble
I didn't really pay attention to this at first, but someone in another thread posted a comment about this anime becoming disturbing. This comment, coupled with the fact that the character designs for this look light hearted, has made me wonder if this is the Narutaru, Alien Nine or Uta Kata esque series I've been wishing for.

Maybe those who have read the manga can tell us about this without spoiling...
If you want a show like narutaru watch Higurashi no Naku Koro ni.
Old 2006-04-28, 05:58   Link #72
lavielove

I just saw Sagawa character page opened ^_^ . The picture at the bottom of the character page is quite funny =D I didn't see that kind of face-expression of her in manga. She lives in Nagasaki ?

synopsis[correct me if I'm wrong ^_^]
Spoiler:

Last edited by lavielove; 2006-04-28 at 06:27.
lavielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-29, 14:35   Link #73
kaki

unless you are hiding under a rock,you knew this already =D
arenai and ureshii released Yume Tsukai.
Old 2006-04-30, 01:19   Link #74
lavielove

just finished watching the release from Arenai and Ureshii. The explanation at the end of the episode kicked ass =D very detail explanation and definately a keeper.

The interview video caps with the casts from Yume Tsukai was up in 2ch Kei Shindou is the cutest among all

Spoiler:

Last edited by lavielove; 2006-04-30 at 06:49.
lavielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-05, 06:16   Link #75
Quarkboy
Anime Translator

As a public service announcement for anyone who watched episode 2 of Yume Tsukai:

If you are approached by a strange man with a fishbowl on his head, who asks to show you his "Miracle Stick"... RUN AWAY AND CALL THE POLICE.

Thank you for your time. This has been a public service announcement from Arienai and Ureshii.
Old 2006-05-05, 12:45   Link #76
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Ep 2 was quite touching, in a way. I like this series - it's an interesting hodge-podge of genres and mythologies, and the character designs are appealing (though I find Rinko tremendously annoying). The tone and humor puts me in mind of Mahoraba, to some extent. Certainly interesting enough to keep following.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-05, 18:45   Link #77
ForeverGoNe
Inflammation

does anyone know how many episodes there are to Yume Tsukai?

I first heard that there were 120~ episodes but then now 12?

Can anyone confirm this?
Old 2006-05-05, 19:08   Link #78
Quarkboy
Anime Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverGoNe
does anyone know how many episodes there are to Yume Tsukai?

I first heard that there were 120~ episodes but then now 12?

Can anyone confirm this?
Um, it's 12 and it's only ever been 12. The 120 you saw must have beena typo somewhere. (What anime has ever announced 120 episodes anyway? That'd be unheard of in this day and age).
Old 2006-05-07, 02:39   Link #79
Kensuke

I liked ep. 2 a lot. Some touching scenes and some funny scenes, I haven't read the manga so at first I thought that Hajime was a girl. That makes this second anime in this season where I have make a mistake about the gender of character...

This anime deserves more attention.
Kensuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-07, 04:06   Link #80
nixie
Nyunga Ro Chaga

Lol episode 2 is a winner. Hajime a mahou shounen? I couldn't stop laughing! He even used a stick like Sailormoon's!

Well, early days.. this could still end in a disturbing way like Narutaru.