AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > My HiME / My Otome

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-04-04, 00:15   Link #1
Yazakura
Enigma of Nothing

My Otome: My Purpose?

Is there a particular reason why sunrise chose to keep a "bond" between Arika and Mashiro, Shizuru and Natsuki, Haruka and Yukino, then Mai and Mikoto? Is there a meaningful reason behind their choice? How many of the My Hime/ My Otome characters were set up with a contract because of their closeness, or did they want the audience to get a "more than friends" vibe from My Otome charachters that way?

Oh! BTW, was Chie Aoi's Otome, or was it the other way around? I'm soo confused there.
Old 2006-04-04, 00:25   Link #2
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazakura
Is there a particular reason why sunrise chose to keep a "bond" between Arika and Mashiro, Shizuru and Natsuki, Haruka and Yukino, then Mai and Mikoto? Is there a meaningful reason behind their choice? How many of the My Hime/ My Otome characters were set up with a contract because of their closeness, or did they want the audience to get a "more than friends" vibe from My Otome charachters that way?

Oh! BTW, was Chie Aoi's Otome, or was it the other way around? I'm soo confused there.

Aoi original took the exam at Garderobe but failed miserably, as Shiho puts it....Shiho took the exam at the same time as Aoi. (Explained in the Drama CD)

I believe they just knew each other from that time.

--Lone Wolf
Old 2006-04-04, 08:42   Link #3
BigPrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazakura

Simply put, they're popular couples/pairs for any variety of reasons. Natsuki and Shizuru's relationship is, of course, a major point of the last part of HiME and Haruka and Yukino get caught up in it. Mai and Mikoto again, their relationship is a major part of the end of the Carnival. Arika and Mashiro are the "new" pair for this series.

And considering that Mai-series are essentially just very well made fanbait, yes, the vibes are intentional (espcially Shizuru and Natsuki, easily one of the most popular yuri couples ever). Keeping the old bonds strong is a sure way to keep the previous series' fans happy. Changing the relationships around would likely anger people.

As for Aoi and Chie, Aoi's not an Otome, just a very loyal bodyguard to Mashiro (and one of many failed applicants to Garderobe). If Chie is still an Otome after the series (hard to say, she's in a military uniform and you never see her left ear, but I hope she is), I'd imagine she wouldn't want anyone other than Aoi as her Master, though (Ealis is democratic, they might let Otome choose their own Masters. A fanboy can dream, can't he?). However, at no point before that were they in such a bond. Chie was a Pearl and then a Valkyrie, linked to one Shinso and then the other. They simply loved each other, they probably met during the entrance exams (considering they're from different countries and all). I imagine Aoi was there in the hopes of being Mashiro's Otome (she would be graduating within a year of Mashiro's proper ascension and was already her maid before that). Chie seems to have been on a military scholarship (Ealis' Otome seem to be a part of the military proper, I kind of like that).
Old 2006-04-04, 22:25   Link #4
Yazakura
Enigma of Nothing

[QUOTE=BigPrime]Simply put, they're popular couples/pairs for any variety of reasons. Natsuki and Shizuru's relationship is, of course, a major point of the last part of HiME and Haruka and Yukino get caught up in it. Mai and Mikoto again, their relationship is a major part of the end of the Carnival. Arika and Mashiro are the "new" pair for this series.

You forgot the Nina/Eristen old/new character clash there!
Old 2006-04-05, 00:29   Link #5
friendshipz
lilian gakuen

nina and erstin pair has been rip off because of the obsession nina has for sergey..
Old 2006-04-05, 23:40   Link #6
DannoHung
Watch the Skies

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPrime
Chie seems to have been on a military scholarship (Ealis' Otome seem to be a part of the military proper, I kind of like that).
I got the impression that Chie was actually an Ealisian Spy that happened to develop a close friendship with Aoi. Major isn't exactly the sort of rank I'd give to a kid who's like 14 or so at the time that she enters into the Otome Academy. Ensign or Junior Grade Lieutenant, maybe.

But you have to note how deliberately Chie put herself in the course of influence throughout the series.

Unless there was something revealed in the Drama CD that I don't know about, which is likely since I can't speak a lick of Japanese.

And, if we're on the subject of the Drama CD, could someone explain the Chie-Tomoe baby toys connection that I've heard about?
Closed Thread