AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Ouran Host Club

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2006-05-07, 18:15   Link #401
Scribble
Sloth
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: London
Age: 25
Send a message via MSN to Scribble
Are the twins actually gay? As the episodes go by, it seems more and more of an act, but I'm still not entirely sure.


On a side note, I wish there were more *normal* female anime characters, like Haruhi.
Scribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-07, 18:40   Link #402
mangafanatic
Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribble
Are the twins actually gay? As the episodes go by, it seems more and more of an act, but I'm still not entirely sure.

I've considered this myself. Here's my thought-- If they were gay, why would they have set Tamaki up for embarrassment in the school physical episode to get revenge on him for calling them "homo side characters" if they really were gay? Personally, I think it's an act that they've played for so long to 1) annoy people 2) get the girls in an excited panic (Though I can't NOT understand why they get so excited about two attractive guys acting as though they're homosexual. Doesn't that sort of put them out of the running for any possible relationship with any of them?) 3) protect themselves from every having to break into "everyone else world".

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223
Can someone tell me where I can obtain that beautiful music piece from 21.45 - 22.00? Was that some modification of the ED?
Eh, listening to it again, I'm of the opinion that it wasn't a variation of either the opening or the ending theme but was, rather, a different song all together. I can't want to get my hands on it when the OST is released. . .
__________________
Statistics indicate that shows which contain female charaters named Haruhi are 98% more likely to be interesting than shows which lack Haruhi.
mangafanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-07, 18:46   Link #403
musouka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Though I can't NOT understand why they get so excited about two attractive guys acting as though they're homosexual. Doesn't that sort of put them out of the running for any possible relationship with any of them?
Sometimes girls just like to watch, I guess. Might as well ask why guys like to watch shows about lesbians.

Plus, well, I'm sure to their fans, it makes for a nice, symmetrical picture and allows for daydreaming about yourself in the middle of a twin sandwich. After all their relationship is "special", they're not gay for just anyone...
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-07, 19:00   Link #404
Scribble
Sloth
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: London
Age: 25
Send a message via MSN to Scribble
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangafanatic
I've considered this myself. Here's my thought-- If they were gay, why would they have set Tamaki up for embarrassment in the school physical episode to get revenge on him for calling them "homo side characters" if they really were gay?
Heh, I'm sure that even gay people would be offended if they were called "homo side characters".

Their behaviour towards Haruhi kind of suggests they're not gay, though.
Scribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-07, 19:12   Link #405
Dagger
Nitro+ fan
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hyogo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribble
Heh, I'm sure that even gay people would be offended if they were called "homo side characters".

Their behaviour towards Haruhi kind of suggests they're not gay, though.
Or else they're just flexible.

Nice avatar, by the way.
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-07, 20:03   Link #406
Cal-Reflector
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka
Sometimes girls just like to watch, I guess. Might as well ask why guys like to watch shows about lesbians.

Plus, well, I'm sure to their fans, it makes for a nice, symmetrical picture and allows for daydreaming about yourself in the middle of a twin sandwich. After all their relationship is "special", they're not gay for just anyone...
Bishounen in Yaoi (homosexual, boy-love, slash, etc) relationships is a tremendous sub-branch of shoujo and jousei (young woman) manga that's been around in Japan two to three decades. Some academics have attributed this female affinity for Yaoi romance due to the fact that they feel less pressure/lack-of-self-esteem from the lack of a traditional beautiful-picture-perfect heroine whom they feel threatened by. Yaoi thus removes the stress of having the objects of their affection (bishounen) "stolen" away by a fictional heroine, whom they unconsciously feel a rivalry against and know they can't compete against.

The twins are not gay, they're playing on this cultural stereotype of the pretty boys in a taboo relationship which women across the world may find so tantalizing. For reference, it is conservative to say that some three-quarters of fanfics produced by English speaking authors for Full Metal Alchemist is of yaoi, with Ed-Mustang by far the most popular couple.

Thus, fangirls, love, Yaoi, and the Twins use this to their advantage.
__________________
Cal-Reflector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-07, 20:18   Link #407
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
I think they're just pulling it off to play around ... but MAN! that little song between 21.45 and 22.00 was great. I mean ... amazing ...

I'm avidly waiting for the next episode.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-07, 20:19   Link #408
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
The twins are not gay, they're playing on this cultural stereotype of the pretty boys in a taboo relationship which women across the world may find so tantalizing.
Well, it's true that they like to tease the fangirls but that does not exclude the possibility that they might actually be gay or bisexual.
__________________
'The world we live in is always in darkness.'
'Yes, and that is why we seek light.'

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-07, 20:24   Link #409
Ahiko
つづけ
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal-Reflector
The twins are not gay, they're playing on this cultural stereotype of the pretty boys in a taboo relationship which women across the world may find so tantalizing.

Thus, fangirls, love, Yaoi, and the Twins use this to their advantage.
Also, from the first episode and in the Manga, Tamaki even says that each of the members use their traits to their advantage to raise the popularity of the club.

Their "homo homo" act is very convincing though.

This anime being my first taste of shounen-ai/yaoi, I'm always at the edge of my seat when Hikaru and Kaoru get into the "homo homo" phase, ehhehe
Ahiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-07, 22:33   Link #410
Wind_Rider
unoriginal.
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahiko
Also, from the first episode and in the Manga, Tamaki even says that each of the members use their traits to their advantage to raise the popularity of the club.

Their "homo homo" act is very convincing though.

This anime being my first taste of shounen-ai/yaoi, I'm always at the edge of my seat when Hikaru and Kaoru get into the "homo homo" phase, ehhehe
My first taste of Bl also. (Excluding crack induced fanwork.) Hikaru/Kaoru would be one of my favorite pairings in the show if they weren't brothers.

I got the impression that they weren't homosexual from the result of Tamaki's "homo side characters" quote, but they may have just been offended by the way he said it. *shrug* They also say it's a good way to infatuate the girls, like it's only an act. It is a very convincing act!


Spoiler for for ep 4:
Wind_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-07, 22:35   Link #411
tritoch
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chi-town
Actually if i am applauding Haruhi, it's because she's not swept off her feet with all the bishonen around her! hahaha
tritoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-07, 22:36   Link #412
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Tallinn, Estonia
Age: 31
Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
I think the Hitaiichins were more pissed off at the "side character" remark, than the "homo" part. 8)

Nobody likes being written off as unimportant. And since the show keeps breaking the fourth wall over and over again, I wouldn''t be surprised if that was the reason for their ingination, rather that the a snipe at their alledged sexuality. 8)
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-07, 23:03   Link #413
Wind_Rider
unoriginal.
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet
I think the Hitaiichins were more pissed off at the "side character" remark, than the "homo" part. 8)

Nobody likes being written off as unimportant. And since the show keeps breaking the fourth wall over and over again, I wouldn''t be surprised if that was the reason for their ingination, rather that the a snipe at their alledged sexuality. 8)
I didn't even think of that....makes sense.

Haha..the twins get plenty of love, so no need for them to worry about being side characters just yet.

This show seems to have a very thin fourth wall.
Wind_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-08, 00:45   Link #414
Tashigi
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Send a message via AIM to Tashigi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahiko
RE: Kashigi, So Hikaru likes Haruhi??! but what about Kaoru? :/

Kaoru always seems to stand to Hikaru's right (from everytime Haruhi pointed them out), and while they were fighting the first time, Kaoru did point out that Hikaru liked Haruhi, but Kaoru seemed really mad about it. Your post makes sense!! x_x I'm guessing Kaoru was a little annoyed at Hikaru's attention toward Haruhi.

Although.. I loved when Kaoru called Hikaru when he[Kaoru] was the one sneaking into Hikaru's bed. xD teeheehee *fangirl mode* kyaaaaaa~~ ;DD!!
Spoiler:


XDDD But yeah, these are just my thoughts/speculations based on the feelings I get when I read/watch the manga/anime. XDDDD;;;
Tashigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-08, 03:04   Link #415
^Aya^
Makkuro kurosuke
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Italy
Age: 29
Send a message via ICQ to ^Aya^ Send a message via MSN to ^Aya^
Mh i dont think they're actually truly gay O_o
Imho it's more like "playing their role" in the host club. They're just extremely emphasizing the fact that they are twins.. So deeply in love and attached to each other that girls can wonder if they're actually in that kind of "relationship"
Well i'm a girl but i dont like yaoi at all I like to identify with the heroine, i cant identify with a man no matter how "girlish" he acts/he is rotfl

Spoiler for episode 5:


Cant wait for episode 6 now!
Go tamaki! Show her your true nature and get the princess
__________________
^Aya^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-08, 04:28   Link #416
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Aya^
Cant wait for episode 6 now!
Go tamaki! Show her your true nature and get the princess
But what if his true nature is shallow?
__________________

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-08, 04:31   Link #417
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
I don't really think so ...

Go GET HARUHI! GET HER, YOU PRINCE!
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-08, 04:40   Link #418
Erroll
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
I think this may be one of the few shows where I don't care who ends up with who. It seems to focus more on how the characters interact and change each other. Whoever Haruhi ends up with, she has a good chance at a meaningful relationship with any of them. Except maybe Honey. I know he's actually older than she is but I don't think she'd be able to get pass the shota look.

As for ep. 5. I loved it, loved it, looooved it! This is my favorite chapter so far of the manga and I was worried they wouldn't be able to make it as good as the manga did. I shouldn't have worried as they've managed to improve on all the manga chapters so far. This one was no exception. The twins were so evil! They showed in this episode why they got the 'ko akuma' (little devils) title. All that drama. Just cause they were bored. I can't wait to see the episode where they go to Haruhi's house.
Erroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-08, 04:52   Link #419
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
I couldn't help but replay the final scene (the one with the subtle guitar-ish) accompaniment, because it simply was perfect. Perfectly beautiful, in all the splendor of clarity.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-08, 05:28   Link #420
^Aya^
Makkuro kurosuke
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Italy
Age: 29
Send a message via ICQ to ^Aya^ Send a message via MSN to ^Aya^
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
But what if his true nature is shallow?
He have showed just a little of his true potential
I believe (and hope ROTFL! ) he is much more mature than how he appears outside (the same way i believe Hikaru and Kaoru are not truly in an homosexual relationship )

Well if his true nature is shallow.. well.. there are still the others (Or she can commit suicide.. rotfl i'm just kidding )
__________________
^Aya^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:04.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.