AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Ouran Host Club

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2006-04-13, 11:34   Link #161
Shouta
Infinite-Zero/Translator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
I can't believe you guys are already discussing if there's a romantic element to the show. It's only been two episodes and the second one didn't even focus on the major characters much. I think you guys are jumping the gun here.

That said, there was a romantic element to the second episode but it was for the side characters. Very sweet episode overall with some awesome animation and great scenes. Even the girls in the show are drawn really pretty (especially Kasuga in this episode) which gives the show a little something for everyone.

Oh and I definitely prefer Haruhi with short hair. The style of long hair she had was just awwwwwwful.
Shouta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-13, 15:49   Link #162
Decel
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^
There was some sort of spat between the manga creator and gainax on how the show was going. karekano ended up stopping at that point because because gainax didn't have permission to go any further.
Yeah I've read about that. From what I know it was mostly where the emphasis should be (romance comedy vs romance comedy)

As for the romantic elements, it was definitely lurking in the backround of the first episode.
Decel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-13, 17:04   Link #163
SmartChick
Future Billionaire
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Corona, CA
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to SmartChick
I wouldnt be too worried either by how bones will handle this anime. Have you guys ever read any of her other previous works? Read "A Thousand Years of Snow" and you will complain about the ending; it was awesome until it had one of those really bad open/non conclusive ending. I just hope the mangaka does not repeat that with host club since I luv it so far.
SmartChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-13, 23:19   Link #164
Omniscient
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shouta
Oh and I definitely prefer Haruhi with short hair. The style of long hair she had was just awwwwwwful.
I'm usually one to prefer long hair, but I couldn't agree with you more in this instance.
__________________
Omniscient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-14, 09:42   Link #165
tritoch
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chi-town
bwuahahahaha!!!!!! i just saw episode 2! omg that was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo funny! BUWHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAH ... i laughed so hard when Tamaki slipped! bwuahahaahahahahahahaha
tritoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-14, 10:28   Link #166
friendshipz
lilian gakuen
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: aoi sora
Age: 9
romance in this anime for protagonist ?hmm.. need to doubt,because Haruhi(wasnt this name also appeared in suzumiya anime series ) were a typical teen whom does not even have a single bits of romance-element.

ppl who grew up in a enviroment where everything was done Independently will have a very dense feeling on wat is love about..(they do care for others but not know the direction to express it)
friendshipz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-14, 10:37   Link #167
Trax
Rock beats scissors
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
When I first saw this title it didn't seem that appealing, but it was mentioned along with another that I found interesting so I checked it out on ANN. Since it's a comedy I decided to give it a shot, I've been on an anime sampling spree lately anyway. I must say, despite some of the awkward stuff in there, this is simply hilarious so far. "Damn you rich bastards!" Haha, very very funny stuff.
Trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-14, 12:30   Link #168
DannoHung
Watch the Skies
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Heh, for most of the episode (after we're introduced to Flatware-kun) the Matchmaker song kept running through my head...

"Matchmaker, matchmaker,
make me a match
Find me a find,
catch me a catch"
DannoHung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-14, 12:32   Link #169
CarrierZ
aka cz
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Send a message via MSN to CarrierZ
Was a great episode!

The feelings are beginning to flow, and the ending was great.

I cannot wait for next episode! This series has taken me totally.
CarrierZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-14, 13:02   Link #170
Ori
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Send a message via AIM to Ori
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartChick
I wouldnt be too worried either by how bones will handle this anime. Have you guys ever read any of her other previous works? Read "A Thousand Years of Snow" and you will complain about the ending; it was awesome until it had one of those really bad open/non conclusive ending. I just hope the mangaka does not repeat that with host club since I luv it so far.
That's why I said "normally I would agree with you but from what I saw of the manga, it doesn't look like the ending... when ever it comes, will provide full closure."

At the moment I really can't imagine the manga ending in any sort of conclusive manner. I am very worried that the manga will repeat "A Thousand Years of Snow" sort of ending.

That's why I am not too worried at all about Bones making up an ending.
Ori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-14, 13:07   Link #171
DrewGSR
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Heh good second episode, this show is just awsome. Man, everytime I see Honey-kun i start laughing or grinning. Lol he looked awsome at the dance party with this bow tie. Also when Haruhi said ootorro then all started comforting him and calling in some. OMG the friken love letter was hilarious LMAO.
DrewGSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-14, 13:14   Link #172
Decel
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Canada
The second one was a good ep. I kinda spoiled it by reading the manga. Won't make that mistake from now on.

I still prefer the first episode, probably because the subject didn't turn around the host club members directly. It's still a nice story, and decent development as to revealing Tamaki's persona.

It's kinda sad that they left out the Tamaki + commoner noodles = <3 part. I can only guess that they viewed that as unecessary since it's a rehash of the instant coffee gag.

I have to say, this year's series are a lot more interesting than last year's.
Decel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-14, 17:35   Link #173
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 30
Decent second episode. I'm really starting to warm to the comedy. The "helping romantically-lost girl" episodic story was fairly stock standard shoujo, but it was still reasonably entertaining none-the-less. I suppose the most interesting thing about this episode was female-Haruhi... who's an absolute knockout! Best anti-trap I can think of for a while.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-14, 18:29   Link #174
[DOT].L
Delightfully lost...
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: All over the place...
To quote Omni:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omni
It’s gotta be a crime for a series to look this good.
While Ep2 isn't as AWESOME as the first one, it's still VERY VERY DAMN GOOD. This seems to be the most promising anime in the recent wave of new releases.
__________________

Latest Post: Black Lagoon Summaries Update and Volume 1 (VIZ) Impressions… (August 15,2008)
Latest Summary: Elemental Gelade [Volume 14] (July 29, 2008)
[DOT].L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-14, 21:09   Link #175
Sailor Enlil
GWAAAA!
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Philippines
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendshipz
romance in this anime for protagonist ?hmm.. need to doubt,because Haruhi(wasnt this name also appeared in suzumiya anime series ) were a typical teen whom does not even have a single bits of romance-element.
Hmm, now that you mentioned it, it sure is a coincidence that we have two anime series with a lead female named Haruhi who's popular in her own strange way. Now something in the back of my mind wonders what happens if the two girls switch places? (dreads at the thought of how Haruhi Suzumiya would deal with the Ohran Host Club, much less Tamaki)
__________________
For Love and Justice, I am Sailor Enlil!
In the name of Lord Enlil, I shall punish you!
Sailor Enlil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-14, 23:08   Link #176
termdex
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
genre question

In the scene where Haruhi accidently kisses Kanoko on the lips, is that considered to be a 'yuri' moment? I know this sounds like a loaded question and likely to draw emotion but...

The reason I ask is, besides some notable exceptions (Sailor Moon, etc) most shoujo stories don't feature yuri; CW tells us shoujo fans are not as likely to respond favorably to it as compared to, say, yaoi, as the twins are a good example of. We're more likely to see yuri in series like Mai Otome, which is generally geared towards a, uh, different audience.

Is CW incorrect, and shoujo fans are an egalitarian bunch? My sources would disagree, remarking that yuri is for fanboys and generally disgusts them. That makes me more curious about Sailor Moon...

Or, is this anime trying to reach out to a broader audience by not just serving up the standard shoujo fare, and risking alienating their core audience? I think not; they wouldn't be pushing the bishounen angle so hard if that was the case, tending towards a low common denominator instead.

Or possibly that is was hoped that Haruhi as a bishounen character, rather than a crossdressing female character, would mostly overshadow the yuri perception, ultimately being interpreted as within the bounds of traditional shoujo standards.

Perhaps those with more familiarity with the manga could be able to answer this more definitively.

Thanks,
termdex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-14, 23:15   Link #177
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by termdex
In the scene where Haruhi accidently kisses Kanoko on the lips, is that considered to be a 'yuri' moment? I know this sounds like a loaded question and likely to draw emotion but...

The reason I ask is, besides some notable exceptions (Sailor Moon, etc) most shoujo stories don't feature yuri; CW tells us shoujo fans are not as likely to respond favorably to it as compared to, say, yaoi, as the twins are a good example of. We're more likely to see yuri in series like Mai Otome, which is generally geared towards a, uh, different audience.

Is CW incorrect, and shoujo fans are an egalitarian bunch? My sources would disagree, remarking that yuri is for fanboys and generally disgusts them. That makes me more curious about Sailor Moon...

Or, is this anime trying to reach out to a broader audience by not just serving up the standard shoujo fare, and risking alienating their core audience? I think not; they wouldn't be pushing the bishounen angle so hard if that was the case, tending towards a low common denominator instead.

Or possibly that is was hoped that Haruhi as a bishounen character, rather than a crossdressing female character, would mostly overshadow the yuri perception, ultimately being interpreted as within the bounds of traditional shoujo standards.

Perhaps those with more familiarity with the manga could be able to answer this more definitively.

Thanks,
Theres plenty of Shoujo that has yuri.

Brother Dear Brother
Marmite
Strawberry panic
__________________
Xellos-_^ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-14, 23:23   Link #178
rooboy
Umeboshi!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Tejas
Age: 38
I don't think it really qualifies as a yuri series. Generally for something to qualify as yuri or yaoi there has to be some sort of "love" between two same-sex characters. Cross-dressing (and the occasional mistaken kiss or whatnot) is somewhat of a standard among shoujo isn't it? Girl Got Game, Fushigi Yugi, and others have had it before.

Man, manga-anime conversions are killing my wallet. I'm now on the hook for Ohran Host Club manga as well. At least Viz has licensed it so I won't have to wait on it from Japan.
__________________
rooboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-14, 23:32   Link #179
Mangaka-chan
Lab Monkey
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: not home
To me "yuri" isn't "yuri" unless
1) there's actions that goes beyond kissing...you know what I mean
2) both parties involved knows that the other is a girl; mistakened genders does not count

I do not think that Ohran Host Club is trying to be different or reach out to a broader audience by adding in a "shoujo-ai" element because to me there isn't any since none of the girls in the show who likes Haruhi even knows he's a she. It's appeal comes from the fact that the audience is "in on the joke" so to speak, and we can enjoy reading about the funny things that happens when a character's gender is mistakened by those around her.
Mangaka-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-15, 00:00   Link #180
SmartChick
Future Billionaire
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Corona, CA
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to SmartChick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ori
That's why I said "normally I would agree with you but from what I saw of the manga, it doesn't look like the ending... when ever it comes, will provide full closure."

At the moment I really can't imagine the manga ending in any sort of conclusive manner. I am very worried that the manga will repeat "A Thousand Years of Snow" sort of ending.

That's why I am not too worried at all about Bones making up an ending.
Very true; its too bad too since Im pretty sure "A Thousand Years of Snow" would have been a lot more popular if it wasnt for the ending. I guess you can never be sure when its over until it says the words "The End."

This episode was great and they keep with the clock tower poping up many times, the significant amount of flowers throughout the ep and in this ep there are lot of chandeliers. The tea cups with kanako in it were done exactly like the light bulbs I assume this will be a reaccuring theme. The cameleon eating the butterfly was pretty funny and if you pay attention to kyouya's computer it has a pineapple instead of an apple. Im surprised they changed the time of the year from christmas time to spring time for the dance party. They are also skipping chapter 3 and moving on to 4 I hope sometime they go back to chapter 3 since so many great moments in that chapter.
SmartChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:48.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.