AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-01-26, 00:32   Link #2881
Kogetsu Shirogane
Giant Doughnuts for All!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Otonokizaka
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
SCP is a few books early, as well...
__________________
Ryuko Matoi, Kill la Kill
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... that's... not a doughnut...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-26, 00:36   Link #2882
keri
ねぇ、知ってる?
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: florida
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
SCP is a few books early, as well...
Ah, so he is. I shall include him whenever I start going "huh?" at the order of the characters from now on. I have trouble remembering which books tell which stories from 6-9, they all take place in such a short time span and get all muddled.
keri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-26, 00:51   Link #2883
quigonkenny
WRYYYYY!!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Elkia
Age: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by keri View Post
Eh, I wasn't concerned that the book doesn't feature him so much as that he's on the cover of the third book, when there is no sign of him in the story until the sixth book. Or seventh. I forget which one is which. (It feels a bit like a spoiler, I guess. Or like putting, uhm, Sean Connery on a movie poster for Raiders of the Lost Ark. Or putting Luna Lovegood on a cover illustration for Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - both characters exist in-universe when these stories took place, but they don't actually appear for several installments, and people who haven't got to those installments yet will be completely unfamiliar with the characters. I guess it's kind of like false advertising, maybe?)
Seventh book, but he possibly appears off-screen in the sixth (it's unknown who exactly is in that van at the time).

Don't know if those two are the best examples to use, as they're arguably the two most enjoyable characters in their respective series (with Luna it's not even close). "Fujiwara" is interesting, but I don't know if he's even the most interesting member of the anti-Dan...

A better example might be putting Faramir on the cover of the Fellowship of the Ring poster.
__________________
quigonkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-26, 11:56   Link #2884
PastPrime
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: North Carolina
I hate to bring up a different subject, but I have been thinking about something. Haruhi's power is to make changes in her world or create a new world. Yuki used that power to create a world where she could have Kyon. While the Anti SOS DAN thinks that Haruhi has the powers that should belong to Sasaki, perhaps they just don't recognize Sasaki's power. Given that the Time line splits right after the meeting between Haruhi and Sasaki, perhaps that is her power in action. To split the Time line so that she can get Kyon in one of them.
__________________

Lucy & Nyu, reincarnated as diclonius twins.
PastPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-26, 13:17   Link #2885
keri
ねぇ、知ってる?
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: florida
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Seventh book, but he possibly appears off-screen in the sixth (it's unknown who exactly is in that van at the time).

Don't know if those two are the best examples to use, as they're arguably the two most enjoyable characters in their respective series (with Luna it's not even close). "Fujiwara" is interesting, but I don't know if he's even the most interesting member of the anti-Dan...

A better example might be putting Faramir on the cover of the Fellowship of the Ring poster.
Ah, those were the first two series that came to mind that other people would also be familiar with. I've never seen/read the LotR stuff, because just seeing Fellowship out of the corner of my eye while my sister watched it for a religion class bored me to tears. (I'm not a fan of high fantasy, generally.)

The one that did come to mind that would be more appropriate would be an example from the Bloody Jack series, except I'd wager that very very few other people who hang around here would know what I'm talking about.


Also, I did believe that it was "Fujiwara" in the van in volume 6. Was it Kyon who speculated it later, thus giving me the impression that he was there, or was that all me (and maybe also speculation on this board)?


Quote:
Originally Posted by PastPrime
While the Anti SOS DAN thinks that Haruhi has the powers that should belong to Sasaki, perhaps they just don't recognize Sasaki's power. Given that the Time line splits right after the meeting between Haruhi and Sasaki, perhaps that is her power in action. To split the Time line so that she can get Kyon in one of them.
Ehhh... I don't think that's an example of anyone's power. I think that's just an example of the parallel universe theory in action. Or is it the multiple universe theory? I know this was discussed in another thread, a long while back, about the difference between those terms. Probably the reason we have the two time lines and are shown them both in the book is just to introduce the character who can go move from one to the other. (And also to show that Haruhi > Sasaki or whatever.)
keri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-26, 14:18   Link #2886
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by keri View Post
Ehhh... I don't think that's an example of anyone's power. I think that's just an example of the parallel universe theory in action. Or is it the multiple universe theory? I know this was discussed in another thread, a long while back, about the difference between those terms. Probably the reason we have the two time lines and are shown them both in the book is just to introduce the character who can go move from one to the other. (And also to show that Haruhi > Sasaki or whatever.)
It's called the "many-worlds interpretation", and given the way the time travelers describe their abilities and their mission, it probably isn't the way the Haruhi universe works.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-26, 16:58   Link #2887
AmyElizzabeth
Moo
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Iowa
Age: 18
Send a message via MSN to AmyElizzabeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastPrime View Post
Given that the Time line splits right after the meeting between Haruhi and Sasaki, perhaps that is her power in action. To split the Time line so that she can get Kyon in one of them.
I'm not thinking that..Sasaki is said to not like love at all, whereas Haruhi doesn't like it but she says she has her thoughts about it (or something..)
But, I do agree that It could be splitting the time line, but not for Kyon.
AmyElizzabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-26, 23:01   Link #2888
orangejuicetang
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Age: 23
Despite the fact that I understand why, the shutting down of Baka-tsuki's translations still depresses me, even though I brought the books. Like somebody else mentioned earlier, I probably wouldn't have brought the books if I didn't like what I read over at baka-tsuki so much. And also, it makes me slightly sad, because I'm remember reading it at baka-tsuki when Haruhi was their only project and was still unfinished. But like I said, I understand their reasons.

As for why volume 10 hasn't come out yet, I came up with a conspiracy theory that the author actually died and Kadowa's just hiding the news. Then that thought depressed me so much that I tried to forget about it.
__________________
WORDS IN THE HEART CANNOT BE TAKEN

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
orangejuicetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-27, 02:24   Link #2889
FDW
AH.com Ambassador
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Bay Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangejuicetang View Post
Despite the fact that I understand why, the shutting down of Baka-tsuki's translations still depresses me, even though I brought the books. Like somebody else mentioned earlier, I probably wouldn't have brought the books if I didn't like what I read over at baka-tsuki so much. And also, it makes me slightly sad, because I'm remember reading it at baka-tsuki when Haruhi was their only project and was still unfinished. But like I said, I understand their reasons.

As for why volume 10 hasn't come out yet, I came up with a conspiracy theory that the author actually died and Kadowa's just hiding the news. Then that thought depressed me so much that I tried to forget about it.
One idea that I came up with about Volume 10 is that it was originally the second half of the 9th book, but Kadokawa forced him to split up the book, (I believe this was mentioned here before) Now what was going to become the 10 book I believe consisted of the last 30-40% of book 9, and the author was trying and failing to come up with ways to expand the book, so the publisher gave him more time. However writers block proved to big of an enemy for Tanigawa, so he gave up, and started pursuing other ideas, (there are other works he's done, I've seen one on Mangafox, I can say that It's quite unusual) now sometime in the last few months he finally started coming back to the series, (probably out of a level of fan and editorial pressure) now this makes me believe this, book 10 will probably not the end the series, but I doubt it will be what people will expect.
__________________
Blame Thande!
FDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-27, 04:00   Link #2890
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Sunny Singapore
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDW View Post
One idea that I came up with about Volume 10 is that it was originally the second half of the 9th book, but Kadokawa forced him to split up the book, (I believe this was mentioned here before) Now what was going to become the 10 book I believe consisted of the last 30-40% of book 9, and the author was trying and failing to come up with ways to expand the book, so the publisher gave him more time. However writers block proved to big of an enemy for Tanigawa, so he gave up, and started pursuing other ideas, (there are other works he's done, I've seen one on Mangafox, I can say that It's quite unusual) now sometime in the last few months he finally started coming back to the series, (probably out of a level of fan and editorial pressure) now this makes me believe this, book 10 will probably not the end the series, but I doubt it will be what people will expect.
There are conspiracy theories, both in and out of Haruhi's world

It has to be hard to keep coming up with stories for Haruhi, given the high standards Tanigawa has set for himself. With Maths equations, philosophy concepts and even murder mysteries, he sure has his hands full (though he's kinda like a geek about these things). The Anti-SOS Brigade expanded more possibilities for him to write about, and Haruhi and gang are just in their 2nd year of school (3rd for Mikuru), so I'm not really sure if failure to expand the book is something that would trouble him...
edkedkedk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-27, 04:06   Link #2891
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NSW, Australia
Age: 19
I think he got overwhelmed by the pairings.

*nod*
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-27, 04:51   Link #2892
FDW
AH.com Ambassador
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Bay Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by edkedkedk View Post
There are conspiracy theories, both in and out of Haruhi's world

It has to be hard to keep coming up with stories for Haruhi, given the high standards Tanigawa has set for himself. With Maths equations, philosophy concepts and even murder mysteries, he sure has his hands full (though he's kinda like a geek about these things). The Anti-SOS Brigade expanded more possibilities for him to write about, and Haruhi and gang are just in their 2nd year of school (3rd for Mikuru), so I'm not really sure if failure to expand the book is something that would trouble him...
No I agree about what you said, expanding the story would be no problem for Tanigawa, but at same time It's very possible to be overwhelmed by the sheer number of choices you have, and I think that's what happened in 2007, the editors didn't like the path he had chosen and he was forced to choose a new one, and thus ended up coming up blank. (It happens to writers all time, and this is speaking from personal experience) And on another note, I wonder if Tanigawa ended up recycling some of his ideas for the 10th book into his other works?
__________________
Blame Thande!
FDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-27, 08:03   Link #2893
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax Send a message via Skype™ to ultimatemegax
So hey, the novels are out on sale in Japan. Here's a picture:
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-27, 10:43   Link #2894
Tabasco
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 31
That is neat. I wasn't sure how well that would work in practice, but I do like it.

As for the delay, is it not possible that he just took a sabbatical from the whole thing as mentioned? If I remember correctly, he's been doing Haruhi nonstop for years, and that doesn't count the work put in on the anime. It would make more sense than suggesting some sort of editorial or marketing conspiracy to do...something. What exactly the delay was supposed to accomplish I never quite got.
Tabasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-27, 12:18   Link #2895
B2-Lancer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Greetings!

This is a nice place. Thanks for running a clean ship!

Does the anime or manga ever hint that Nagato is actually an "Avatar" of the Data Entity instead of an actual self-possessed "being"?

Thanks!
B2-Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-27, 13:06   Link #2896
SgtHydra
Void Dragon
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by B2-Lancer View Post
Greetings!

This is a nice place. Thanks for running a clean ship!

Does the anime or manga ever hint that Nagato is actually an "Avatar" of the Data Entity instead of an actual self-possessed "being"?

Thanks!
In a sense, she is both.

Nagato is an "avatar" in the sense that she is the Data Entity's eyes, ears, and feet on the ground, and while she is supposed to follow any and all orders/commands given to her, she does possess free will.

A good part of the series is about that free will becoming more and more expressed.
__________________
لا شئ واقع مطلق بل كل ممكن
Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted.

All Glory to the Greentext.
SgtHydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-05, 02:16   Link #2897
ZODDGUTS
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangejuicetang View Post

As for why volume 10 hasn't come out yet, I came up with a conspiracy theory that the author actually died and Kadowa's just hiding the news. Then that thought depressed me so much that I tried to forget about it.
So I guess he's ghost is somehow writing the story of this manga:


http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=46871

Pretty good mystery murder series that also has
Spoiler for @_@:
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-05, 02:37   Link #2898
FDW
AH.com Ambassador
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Bay Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
So I guess he's ghost is somehow writing the story of this manga:


http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=46871

Pretty good mystery murder series that also has
Spoiler for @_@:
Seconded, I like the all the weird mindfuck flying around.
__________________
Blame Thande!
FDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-05, 02:39   Link #2899
quigonkenny
WRYYYYY!!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Elkia
Age: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDW View Post
Seconded, I like the all the weird mindfuck flying around.
Well, we know the man can write. Gives me hopes for all my twisted theories for Volume 10. Fufufufufu...
__________________
quigonkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-05, 11:09   Link #2900
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Unseen Horizon
Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
The only possible girl I know is... (the new member)
__________________

Dang it Avalon, you c(XD LOL)-block Shirou and Reinforce, but don't protect his mind in other ways? What is wrong, you woman?
Friendship, be made! Magical power, gather! Starlight Breaker.... this world!
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
shounen, sneaker bunko, seinen, light novels, manga

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.