AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-03-01, 12:04   Link #3021
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax Send a message via Skype™ to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by edkedkedk View Post
Which stories are you talking about? I haven't been keeping up with the manga, gave it up long ago because, well, it's pretty atrocious

Unless, of course, you're talking about Haruhi-chan and Nagato Yuki-chan. Now that's original
The manga has the following additional stories that were not in the novels:

"Knowing Me, Knowing You" (3rd volume)
"Another Mysterique Sign" (4th Volume)
"Stray Cat Shamisen's Point of View" (5th Volume)
"Get in the Ring" (5th Volume)
"Future Day of Sagittarius" (7th Volume)
"A Sudden Cinderella Story" (8th Volume)
"Mikuru Dollar ~Baby" (8th Volume)
"Telegraph from 1905, Today's weather: fine with high waves" (9th volume)
"Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya ~Epilogue~" (9th Volume)
"Red Data Elegy" (possibly in the 11th volume, unconfirmed)
__________________

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT

Last edited by ultimatemegax; 2010-03-01 at 21:14. Reason: fixing a gaf that I made earlier
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-01, 21:09   Link #3022
AmyElizzabeth
Moo
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Iowa
Age: 18
Send a message via MSN to AmyElizzabeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
The manga has the following additional stories that were not in the novels:

"Loving Me, Loving You" (3rd volume)
Wasn't it "Knowing me , Knowing you"?
AmyElizzabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-01, 21:14   Link #3023
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax Send a message via Skype™ to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyElizzabeth View Post
Wasn't it "Knowing me , Knowing you"?
You are correct, I misremembered the title name. I do apologize for my mishap and shall fix it.
__________________

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-02, 08:00   Link #3024
s07195
Distracted
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hong Kong
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
The manga has the following additional stories that were not in the novels:

"Knowing Me, Knowing You" (3rd volume)
"Another Mysterique Sign" (4th Volume)
"Stray Cat Shamisen's Point of View" (5th Volume)
"Get in the Ring" (5th Volume)
"Future Day of Sagittarius" (7th Volume)
"A Sudden Cinderella Story" (8th Volume)
"Mikuru Dollar ~Baby" (8th Volume)
"Telegraph from 1905, Today's weather: fine with high waves" (9th volume)
"Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya ~Epilogue~" (9th Volume)
"Red Data Elegy" (possibly in the 11th volume, unconfirmed)
I own up to volume 4 of the manga in Chinese, and have read 5-6 by borrowing it
Wait, there was an epilogue for Disappearance? In the novel, wasn't the epilogue in volume 7?

Are we allowed to post scans? Dunno, maybe I might...
just asking.
__________________

s07195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-02, 08:07   Link #3025
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax Send a message via Skype™ to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by s07195 View Post
I own up to volume 4 of the manga in Chinese, and have read 5-6 by borrowing it
Wait, there was an epilogue for Disappearance? In the novel, wasn't the epilogue in volume 7?

Are we allowed to post scans? Dunno, maybe I might...
just asking.
There was no epilogue for the novel, but the manga simply has the Christmas party which was only mentioned in the prologue to Intrigues.
__________________

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-02, 08:20   Link #3026
s07195
Distracted
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hong Kong
Are scans allowed?
__________________

s07195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-02, 08:31   Link #3027
Blayne Barudorii
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Now I'm not sure if anyone has discussed it yet as I haven't had the chance to go backwards in the thread very far but does anyone else besides me believe that we finally have our slider?

In the tenth novel it seems like we clearly have two alternate timelines/dimensions with the alpha and beta lines with that phone call as the probably point of divergence, but we still have the odd situation of having the 11+1 potential members one of them a girl who gets a suspicious amount of focus which I will posit that because of the Law of Conservation of Detail she is obviously important and I believe her to be our slider. There is also the matter of a unknown girl with a familiar voice pattern that Kyon can't seem to put his finger on, since Sasaki is already mentioned and he would clearly know how she sounds like over the phone then I present exhibit A that we have our slider.

Just to clarify matters let me know if I'm getting anything wrong:

Alpha timeline:

Mysterious phone call from our Unidentified-I-Hope-to-Mystra-She's-a-Slider or UIHSS (okay thats silly lets just use UG or Unknown Girl) erm cough, sorry UG.

He gets the phone call from someone clearly crazy and is weirded out for a while but forgets about it.

He then proceeds to help his sister with homework.

He gets a phone call from Koizumi that goes as similar.

Sleeps spends Sunday relaxing and goes to school Monday.

I think he gets help with math homework here and then goes to the clubroom with Haruhi only to be shocked that there's 11 people, 1 mysteriously pops in without alerting Nagato or Koizumi but Kyon sorta notices this is the part that shocks me.

Haruhi gives her speech, UG starts clapping heartily and enjoying the experience, very suspicious.

They all eventually leave, Kyon crushes Koizumi in Renju (was he always good at board games?) and wonders how many will return tomorrow.

I posit this as the 'good ending'.

---- Beta Timeline ----

Kyon gets phone call from Sasaki is convinced to meet the Anti-SOS Brigade, he then gets a call from Koizumi, he then calls Nagato, is reassured that this is probably a good sign.

---> Another difference here, in alpha timeline Koizumi and Nagato seem to believe they are much more threatening and are preparing to attack.

He helps his sister with his homework (Ha! No endlessly repeating Golden Week for you KyoAni!)

Sunday: He meets the Anti SOS Brigade is told that they believe Sasaki is God or WAS God by the Anti Esper and that Kyon probably has the power to change who God can be.

Both the Time Traveler and the CDG don't really believe her mirroring the SOS Brigade's own disagreements.

Emiri comes around and the CDG catches her spying on them, I'm not entirely sure of the significance of this but I suspect its linked with what happens later.

Kyon is showed Sasaki's closed space where 'nothing ever changes' on TvTropes this is apparently fridge logic for something but I'm not sure what, is the implication that if Sasaki were God nothing would ever change or advance ever?

The CDG leaves, the Time Traveler I think leaves, Sasaki and the Anti Esper stay and converse, Kyon leaves.

Monday:

He arrives at the clubroom, surprisingly no one is there, Asashina arrives and we discover that apparantly a bunch of stuff has been declassified odd.

Koizumi and Haruhi eventually arrive eventually they freak out and notice that Nagato isn't there yet.

Nagato apparently has a fever which is evidence that the Cosmic Macrocomputer people are making their move trying to disable Nagato the Brigade rolls out to see to Nagato.

I think this is the 'bad' timeline or the 'bad ending' as I think the Slider abandoned it when she saw things going sour.


This of course assumes the unknown and mysterious new girl is the slider, it could be possible this is a similar situation to Vanishment which the lines 'take care of me' kinda imply that the girl wouldn't be herself and is warning Kyon sorta, ahead of time.

But I much prefer my slider, she's mine! I've been waiting 9 novels I want her now.


Now as an aside would anyone mind if I added 'OhCrap' to the tvtropes article?

"OhCrap: What in the light novels the entire readership said outloud or was thinking when Haruhi picked up what appeared to be Kyon's love confession to Nagato. Although it was entirely NotWhatItLooksLIke"
Blayne Barudorii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-02, 08:36   Link #3028
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 27
Some decent thoughts are buried in that, uh... thing of text, though a lot of it is rehashing. The idea of one of the timelines being a bad ending that the slider abandoned is an intriguing one, though, if only because I cannot immediately see where they would go with such a concept.

The post was worth reading for one reason:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayne Barudorii View Post
Cosmic Macrocomputer
__________________
Badass.
spawnofthejudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-02, 09:14   Link #3029
Blayne Barudorii
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Aww, I was hoping the KyoAni 'Endless Golden Week bit' would be the punchline.

But ya I'm bad with names, so humorous sounding approximations have to do
Blayne Barudorii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-02, 10:50   Link #3030
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Sunny Singapore
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayne Barudorii View Post
Now I'm not sure if anyone has discussed it yet as I haven't had the chance to go backwards in the thread very far but does anyone else besides me believe that we finally have our slider?

In the tenth novel it seems like we clearly have two alternate timelines/dimensions with the alpha and beta lines with that phone call as the probably point of divergence,
Waitaminute you do mean the 9th novel right?

There has been intense speculation about our slider girl. Most people agree that she will probably appear in the upcoming novel, but argue on her identity. UG (as you put it) is probably the biggest and most probable candidate right now, but perhaps there are some monkey wrenches that will be thrown into the mix (Sakanaka? Or even more astonishingly, the slider is actually a male, making all discussions on slider-girl obsolete?!).

I have my doubts on the slider showing up though. People make the basis that a slider will appear because of Haruhi's introductory speech. However, later, at the formation of the SOS Brigade and their goal, sliders are mysteriously left out. What exactly happened? Did Haruhi give up on sliders suddenly? Did Haruhi unconsciously know who she'll be able to find for the SOS Brigade? And in the Anti-SOS Brigade, created specifically to serve as a mirror to the SOS Brigade, there are no sliders whatsoever. In fact, to balance things out, Tanigawa would have to create two sliders, one for each group. This is why I have my reservations about the introduction and arrival of sliders in the novels.
edkedkedk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-02, 10:59   Link #3031
Blayne Barudorii
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Yes I meant 9th.

Well there's no real reason why there needs to be 2 sliders, as I see it based on Kyon-Beta's narration about how "shouldn't you have gotten more people before taking us on, give up" may be a telling hint, the SOS Brigade can win through this simply because they get a slider that makes them numerically suporior to the Anti SOS Brigade.

As for not having the Slider not appearing 'yet' is probably more of an chekhov's gunman and amusingly enough a circumstance that Kyon practically every novel mentions are least once and gave a very specific mention to early in the 9th novel. I would find it improbably that this much effort and lampshading would be done without the slider finally making an entrance eventually. The design here is probably for the slider to arrive in the nick of time to save the day and a subconcious rationalization on haruhi's part, "why have everyone appear right away? It would be totally cool and dramatic the slider just arrived in a cool pose to save the day!"

It could also be possible that the slider exists independently of Haruhi and thus can arrive on a time of her choosing, a wizard is never late!

My personal pet wish is that the slider is actually Kyonko, you know you wanna.
Blayne Barudorii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-02, 11:58   Link #3032
s07195
Distracted
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hong Kong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayne Barudorii View Post
Yes I meant 9th.

Well there's no real reason why there needs to be 2 sliders, as I see it based on Kyon-Beta's narration about how "shouldn't you have gotten more people before taking us on, give up" may be a telling hint, the SOS Brigade can win through this simply because they get a slider that makes them numerically suporior to the Anti SOS Brigade.

As for not having the Slider not appearing 'yet' is probably more of an chekhov's gunman and amusingly enough a circumstance that Kyon practically every novel mentions are least once and gave a very specific mention to early in the 9th novel. I would find it improbably that this much effort and lampshading would be done without the slider finally making an entrance eventually. The design here is probably for the slider to arrive in the nick of time to save the day and a subconcious rationalization on haruhi's part, "why have everyone appear right away? It would be totally cool and dramatic the slider just arrived in a cool pose to save the day!"

It could also be possible that the slider exists independently of Haruhi and thus can arrive on a time of her choosing, a wizard is never late!

My personal pet wish is that the slider is actually Kyonko, you know you wanna.
Wasn't there no sliders because Kyon said he hasn't met one yet during Tanabata?
Of course, this does lead to the "So why were sliders mentioned in her opening speech" argument, so presumably she didn't give up all hope...
__________________

s07195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-02, 12:34   Link #3033
SgtHydra
Void Dragon
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by s07195 View Post
Are scans allowed?
I do not believe so, as the site itself might get in trouble for violating the copyright or something of that nature.
__________________
لا شئ واقع مطلق بل كل ممكن
Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted.

All Glory to the Greentext.
SgtHydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-02, 12:34   Link #3034
Blayne Barudorii
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Did he say he met a time traveler, an esper, and an alien but not yet a slider to young!haruhi? Then there's our explanation and stable time loop, we do not have one yet because Haruhi wasn't told she met one yet but conditionally can meet one eventually.
Blayne Barudorii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-02, 13:43   Link #3035
PastPrime
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayne Barudorii View Post
Did he say he met a time traveler, an esper, and an alien but not yet a slider to young!haruhi? Then there's our explanation and stable time loop, we do not have one yet because Haruhi wasn't told she met one yet but conditionally can meet one eventually.
He didn't actually say he had met them, he basically said, as she asked, that Time Travelers, Aliens, and ESPers were possible. Then when she asked about sliders he said that he hadn't met one yet, which implied that he had met the others.
__________________

Lucy & Nyu, reincarnated as diclonius twins.
PastPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-02, 20:22   Link #3036
quigonkenny
WRYYYYY!!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Elkia
Age: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by s07195 View Post
Are scans allowed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum Rules: 1.1
The following is a list of media considered "banned" from The Forum because its acquisition is always considered illegal and unethical:

Fansubs of Licensed Anime
Scanlations of Licensed Manga
Any untranslated anime videos (Anime Raws)
Any untranslated manga scans (Manga Raws)
Any high-res artbook scans (Artbook Raws)*
Illegal copies of software (e.g. ROMs, ISOs, "warez", etc.)
Anything used to illegally circumvent copy protection (e.g. serial numbers, "cracks", etc.)
Direct copies of DVDs or CDs ("rips") of any kind (e.g. MP3s made from anime OSTs)
This list is not exhaustive. Ask a member of staff if you are unsure about posting content.
The Haruhi manga is licensed, so no. I believe portions of a page (ie: single panels of a manga) or screencaps are legally allowable under copyright for informational purposes (to point something out, etc.), but a whole page, or any information on how to get licensed scanlations or RAWs (including links to certain "read manga online" sites) is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edkedkedk View Post
There has been intense speculation about our slider girl. Most people agree that she will probably appear in the upcoming novel, but argue on her identity. UG (as you put it) is probably the biggest and most probable candidate right now, but perhaps there are some monkey wrenches that will be thrown into the mix (Sakanaka? Or even more astonishingly, the slider is actually a male, making all discussions on slider-girl obsolete?!).
This is the second time I've heard the suggestion that Sakanaka is something more than she is, but I don't buy it. For one, there's absolutely nothing suggesting that she's anything more than a classmate with a formerly "sick" dog. For another, we don't know her full name, so we know she's normal (her movie given name doesn't canonically exist until we see it in the novel).

Quote:
Originally Posted by edkedkedk View Post
I have my doubts on the slider showing up though. People make the basis that a slider will appear because of Haruhi's introductory speech. However, later, at the formation of the SOS Brigade and their goal, sliders are mysteriously left out. What exactly happened? Did Haruhi give up on sliders suddenly? Did Haruhi unconsciously know who she'll be able to find for the SOS Brigade? And in the Anti-SOS Brigade, created specifically to serve as a mirror to the SOS Brigade, there are no sliders whatsoever. In fact, to balance things out, Tanigawa would have to create two sliders, one for each group. This is why I have my reservations about the introduction and arrival of sliders in the novels.
Of course she could be working for the Anti-dan, or she could be an independent operator. The latter could explain why we haven't seen any sliders yet, if there's no organized group of sliders.
__________________

Last edited by quigonkenny; 2010-03-02 at 20:45.
quigonkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-02, 22:00   Link #3037
Kogetsu Shirogane
Giant Doughnuts for All!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Otonokizaka
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
we don't know her full name, so we know she's normal
I'm surprised the time traveler whose only known name is a blatant alias hasn't completely shattered that theory yet.
__________________
Ryuko Matoi, Kill la Kill
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... that's... not a doughnut...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-02, 22:24   Link #3038
SgtHydra
Void Dragon
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Question: On the subject of Tsuruya's hair color, does Kyon ever actually note that she has green hair?

Or that Ryoko has blue hair?

Either one... does Kyon take notice it?

If he didn't... man... just... just a spot check failure all around...
__________________
لا شئ واقع مطلق بل كل ممكن
Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted.

All Glory to the Greentext.
SgtHydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-02, 22:42   Link #3039
Kogetsu Shirogane
Giant Doughnuts for All!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Otonokizaka
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Kyon never points out the odd hair colors. It's largely assumed that they actually have normal hair colors, and that the blue/green/purple hair is merely something added by Itou.
__________________
Ryuko Matoi, Kill la Kill
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... that's... not a doughnut...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-02, 22:53   Link #3040
AmyElizzabeth
Moo
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Iowa
Age: 18
Send a message via MSN to AmyElizzabeth
Yeah, cause wasn't Mikuru supposed to have brown hair and Haruhi supposed to have jet black?
Now, it's red and lightish-darkish brown
AmyElizzabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
shounen, sneaker bunko, seinen, light novels, manga

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:50.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.