AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Haruhi Suzumiya

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-06-24, 19:05   Link #3561
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Santa Barbara
Age: 22
Personally I think timeline beta is going to be the one to survive, and the way novel 10 is setup is just one big red herring.

The fact that nothing has really happened so far in timeline alpha leads me to believe that it is going to go to hell... The idea of no change in Haruhi's universe strikes me as more irregular than crazy things happening. In Haruhi, crazy is the norm.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-25, 06:47   Link #3562
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Metro Manila, Philippines
Age: 32
Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
We'll really just have to see, given how Novel 9 and 10 seem to be a case of Schrodinger's Cat on a macro-timeline scale, with Slider-tan as the 'cat'.
__________________
Myssa Rei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-25, 08:27   Link #3563
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 27
Wow, the next English novel is coming up fast.

Amazon says November 2, 2010.

Their translating rate is nothing short of astonishing.
__________________
Badass.
spawnofthejudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-25, 14:12   Link #3564
Ithekro
Space Battleship
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
Consider that Haruhi plotline follow and then twist however they are expected to go, and yet still come up happy...Book 10 could go in any direction by the ending.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-26, 02:21   Link #3565
Eak
One angry cloud.
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
Wow, the next English novel is coming up fast.

Amazon says November 2, 2010.

Their translating rate is nothing short of astonishing.
Boredom is up first (July 31)
Eak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-26, 07:30   Link #3566
keri
ねぇ、知ってる?
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: florida
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eak View Post
Boredom is up first (July 31)
Yeah, he said the next one. Boredom is already out.
keri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-28, 18:30   Link #3567
keri
ねぇ、知ってる?
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: florida
Age: 29
Sorry for the double post, but I just got my paperback copy of Boredom today and wanted to enthuse over the cover design. I've always thought it was really nice (you can go back to the initial discussions to see my impressions on it), but the thumbnail version I'd seen in the past holds nothing on the actual cover.

Some people expressed bewilderment over the use of a flower at the symbol (compared to the Zeus-ex-machina style thunderbolt on Melancholy or film reel on Sighs), but on closer examination, it's quite clever: it looks like a sunflower, but half of it is pixelated and made to appear as though it is dissolving - the little specks visible in the amazon images are pixel "dust". It is, basically, a shout-out to "Mysterique Sign" and possibly to the way that Nagato manipulates data in "Boredom".


I know that a lot of y'all hate the paperback covers and think the Noizi Ito illustration versions are far superior, but I really think Kirk Benshoff did a fantastic job, and I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with Disappearance.




Scanned and uploaded a close-up of the flower, since I hadn't seen one anywhere else.

Last edited by keri; 2010-06-28 at 19:19.
keri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-28, 19:37   Link #3568
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by keri View Post
I know that a lot of y'all hate the paperback covers and think the Noizi Ito illustration versions are far superior, but I really think Kirk Benshoff did a fantastic job, and I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with Disappearance.
Actually, I love the paperback covers... I just like the hardback's better.
__________________
Badass.
spawnofthejudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-29, 01:14   Link #3569
AmyElizzabeth
Moo
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Iowa
Age: 18
Send a message via MSN to AmyElizzabeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by keri View Post
I know that a lot of y'all hate the paperback covers and think the Noizi Ito illustration versions are far superior, but I really think Kirk Benshoff did a fantastic job, and I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with Disappearance.
Oh, oh, here's one: Put nothing on it.
AmyElizzabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-29, 01:38   Link #3570
vivify93
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Age: 20
Send a message via MSN to vivify93
They're small yet leave an impact. They're simple yet complex. It fits in the end, doesn't it?
__________________
LONG LIVE THE QUEEN.
vivify93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-29, 09:05   Link #3571
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Making metal ... for fish
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by keri View Post
Sorry for the double post, but I just got my paperback copy of Boredom today and wanted to enthuse over the cover design. I've always thought it was really nice (you can go back to the initial discussions to see my impressions on it), but the thumbnail version I'd seen in the past holds nothing on the actual cover.

Some people expressed bewilderment over the use of a flower at the symbol (compared to the Zeus-ex-machina style thunderbolt on Melancholy or film reel on Sighs), but on closer examination, it's quite clever: it looks like a sunflower, but half of it is pixelated and made to appear as though it is dissolving - the little specks visible in the amazon images are pixel "dust". It is, basically, a shout-out to "Mysterique Sign" and possibly to the way that Nagato manipulates data in "Boredom".


I know that a lot of y'all hate the paperback covers and think the Noizi Ito illustration versions are far superior, but I really think Kirk Benshoff did a fantastic job, and I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with Disappearance.




Scanned and uploaded a close-up of the flower, since I hadn't seen one anywhere else.
Are you kidding? I love the paperback covers. I actually prefer them to the hardcovers, since the hardcovers make Haruhi look like just another manga, thus dooming it to the 'Manga' section of the bookstore (in the United States, anyway.) Seriously, I picked up the first novel in the Young Adult section. The next one, however, I could not find until I looked in the 'Manga' section . . . which I found to be, frankly, bizarre (especially given that there's already a Haruhi manga, and it bears little resemblance to the novels.)
__________________
Go into the water. Live there. Die there.
GMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-29, 09:45   Link #3572
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NSW, Australia
Age: 19
The paperbacks are simplistic, and to some extent differentiate it from the others. If not for the names, the books might be mistaken for something an English author wrote. XD
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-29, 09:52   Link #3573
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyElizzabeth View Post
Oh, oh, here's one: Put nothing on it.
Or one could follow the movie, and just put in a bookmark.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-29, 12:55   Link #3574
keri
ねぇ、知ってる?
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: florida
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
Actually, I love the paperback covers... I just like the hardback's better.
Yeah, I said "and" when I should have put "or" in there, about preferring the hardcovers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT View Post
Are you kidding? I love the paperback covers. I actually prefer them to the hardcovers, since the hardcovers make Haruhi look like just another manga, thus dooming it to the 'Manga' section of the bookstore (in the United States, anyway.) Seriously, I picked up the first novel in the Young Adult section. The next one, however, I could not find until I looked in the 'Manga' section . . . which I found to be, frankly, bizarre (especially given that there's already a Haruhi manga, and it bears little resemblance to the novels.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khu View Post
The paperbacks are simplistic, and to some extent differentiate it from the others. If not for the names, the books might be mistaken for something an English author wrote. XD
Yeah, I had a horrible time finding Sigh at Barnes & Noble last November, even though when I got home and checked the website, it said that it was in stock at that location. Yet I found the manga in the YA section, not the graphic novel shelves. It was strange. And at Borders, that same week, I found both novels and manga on the manga shelves (but they were "featured" and on the endcap rather than mixed in with other books). The paperbacks really did stand out next to all the manga covers, with their solid colors.

The covers also stand out next to current YA cover trends, too. I really loathe all the ones with the close-up of a girl's face. They all look alike and have hardly any real representation of the contents, so I tend to overlook potentially good books.



But, anyway, I'm glad that I'm not the only one who really likes them. I felt, before, like I was the only one who did, and definitely the only one who doesn't care for the Noizi Ito covers. (I think they're too similar to the Close-Up Face On YA Cover trend, where it's a pretty enough cover, but doesn't really have anything to make them appealing on the shelf, next to all the other books. The jackets from the Disappearance promotion were good, though.)
keri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-03, 11:23   Link #3575
zette
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Singapore
It's been a while but I still can't find the official English version of Boredom anywhere here, although I have checked with the library and they said they would have it soon. I agree with the posters here when they say it's hard to find the Haruhi novels due to the weird categorizing that happens with the English versions. I couldn't find the first two at the library when it wasn't on loan until I found out it was located at the children section.

To add to the discussion about the paperback covers, I really like them too. I like the hardcovers more, but there's no denying that the paperback covers are nice. As keri mentioned, it's a nice touch to have the symbol at the top always bear some relation to the story, and yes it would certainly be interesting to see what the symbol would be for Disappearance.
__________________
zette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-03, 16:24   Link #3576
keri
ねぇ、知ってる?
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: florida
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by zette View Post
It's been a while but I still can't find the official English version of Boredom anywhere here, although I have checked with the library and they said they would have it soon. I agree with the posters here when they say it's hard to find the Haruhi novels due to the weird categorizing that happens with the English versions. I couldn't find the first two at the library when it wasn't on loan until I found out it was located at the children section.
If you're wanting/willing to buy it online, try bookdepository.co.uk. They ship almost anywhere in the world for free, with really good shipping times. (For what it's worth, they list Singapore as being one of those 90 countries.)

They currently have the hardcover for USD$9.99 (€8.11) and the paperback for USD$7.99 (€6.48).

I mention this because I did a check and have no idea what online retailers you'd use in Singapore - the handful of options Google found for me don't list the English translation of the novel.
keri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-04, 02:56   Link #3577
Eak
One angry cloud.
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
I recommend Rightstuf.com as they always have the Haruhi novels really cheap. They have yet to let me down .
Eak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-04, 11:22   Link #3578
zette
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by keri View Post
If you're wanting/willing to buy it online, try bookdepository.co.uk. They ship almost anywhere in the world for free, with really good shipping times. (For what it's worth, they list Singapore as being one of those 90 countries.)

They currently have the hardcover for USD$9.99 (€8.11) and the paperback for USD$7.99 (€6.48).

I mention this because I did a check and have no idea what online retailers you'd use in Singapore - the handful of options Google found for me don't list the English translation of the novel.
Wow, can't believe I never considered buying it online. Thanks a lot, I'll check that site out. It's gonna be a hard choice choosing between the hardcover and the paperback; the hardcover of Boredom is my favorite of them all, but I'm not too fond of hardcovers and don't know if it's worth that extra money.
__________________
zette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-04, 20:57   Link #3579
Rice_slayer
Resident Car Buff
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Regina, Canada
Age: 21
Got my copy of boredom finally, paperback of course. I never have problems, it's always in the teen fiction section at the chapters in my city. I haven't read it yet, but plan on reading a bit of the first story in it(baseball one). I thought endless 8 was in this one, guess it was in volume 5, it's been over 2 years since I last read the novels lol.
Rice_slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-05, 00:31   Link #3580
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax Send a message via Skype™ to ultimatemegax
According to the Yunakiti blog, this past week's edition of The Sneaker posted that the editorial staff reported that Suzumiya Haruhi no Kyougaku was now 85% completed. This is a 5% increase from the last issue two months ago where it was 80% completed.
__________________

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
shounen, sneaker bunko, seinen, light novels, manga

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.