AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Haruhi Suzumiya

Old 2008-04-17, 18:12   Link #921
sonicspin
キョン子主義
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to sonicspin
light novels are licensed too now:
link
sonicspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-17, 18:14   Link #922
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via Skype™ to DJ_RockmanX
*expletive deleted*

DJ_RockmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-17, 18:23   Link #923
Hedd
Random Object

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Because licensing companies don't tend to have any idea of what they're doing, or who their target audience is.

BT's translations, despite being fan-made, will be better than that of any major company.

Look at the SnS novels, for example. Horribly censored and with inaccurate translations of names.
regionalisation is a bit of an issue too and I can see them glossing over certain risque parts as well as it sounds like it's being licenced by a kids book label. A mildly selfish issue I have with it is if it will prevent a correct translation (as well as a delay) in the upcoming volume. Waiting an extra year for an already late and possibly horribly translated volume doesn't strike me as entertaining.
Old 2008-04-17, 19:13   Link #924
nicolas207

Im gonna give it a chance. Maybe it would surprise me.
nicolas207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-17, 19:30   Link #925
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedd View Post
regionalisation is a bit of an issue too and I can see them glossing over certain risque parts as well as it sounds like it's being licenced by a kids book label. A mildly selfish issue I have with it is if it will prevent a correct translation (as well as a delay) in the upcoming volume. Waiting an extra year for an already late and possibly horribly translated volume doesn't strike me as entertaining.
Yes, it's a kid's book label.

There goes all the plot.

WHEEEE!
Old 2008-04-17, 19:56   Link #926
Sute443
Sasaki-ist

So the novels are licensed now?

*Goes to get the BT versions while still possible.*

We have any timeline on when Book 10 is coming out? If it's before July I should be able to get my hands on it when I'm over there this summer. I might be able to get it to interested parties before the official translation...
Sute443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-17, 20:03   Link #927
Kristen
*Author
*AnimeSuki Site Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicspin View Post
light novels are licensed too now:
link
Honestly, there was no real need to liscence those novels, except for money. They honestly would be really well off to pay the TLs of Baka-Tsuki and just use their TLs. It'll probably be more accurate, anyways, and a ton of less work for the liscencing company. They'd just need to TL the pictures.

Though, that makes me think what would happen if the liscencing company were to just directly rip Baka Tsuki's TL. Would Baka Tsuki be able to sue them for copyright infringement or something? Hm...
Old 2008-04-17, 20:06   Link #928
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

So does this mean that baka-tsuki is going to drop their translating of the novels from here onward? That is $%)*(#$ lame, this is going to be like the Shana novels. Waiting 6 months for an ok translation and nothing ever gets released.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-17, 20:12   Link #929
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via Skype™ to DJ_RockmanX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissieXD View Post
Though, that makes me think what would happen if the liscencing company were to just directly rip Baka Tsuki's TL. Would Baka Tsuki be able to sue them for copyright infringement or something? Hm...
I wouldn't think so. Only the copyright holder of the original novels (which I shall assume to be Tanigawa) has the exclusive right to allow for the publishing of derivative works, one such being translations. Baka-Tsuki does not have Tanigawa's authorization, therefore it's NG because the novels are not a part of the public domain (unless somehow the copyright wasn't renewed or something).

DJ_RockmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-17, 20:13   Link #930
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Well that blows. Those of us who read only English will have to wait years for the company to reach novel 10 and then we get a crappy regionlized censored version.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-17, 20:19   Link #931
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerII View Post
Well that blows. Those of us who read only English will have to wait years for the company to reach novel 10 and then we get a crappy regionlized censored version.
Bingo, that's it. That's my problem.

Now if only we could DO something.
Old 2008-04-17, 20:22   Link #932
shaoron
AQS representative

well...
there goes the fandom down the drain...
shaoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-17, 20:43   Link #933
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

...does this mean we have to wait until 2016 before we can get volume 10?

Holy shit...

EDIT. Hmmmm, the website for Little Brown books doesn't quite look like a Kids publisher...
http://www.littlebrown.co.uk/
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-17, 20:52   Link #934
CrowKenobi
*AnimeSuki Site Staff

This thread on the AnimeonDVD.com forums sheds a little light on the licensing and that the industry rep does post there so he could answer any questions you could have...

CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-17, 20:53   Link #935
fallenangelash
Misao-ISM
*Fansubber

i don't think its that bad, i mean, i believe they will translate it properly.

they said in ANN - "Co-Publishing Director Kurt Hassler emphasized that its manga release will not be censored."

if they arent censoring the manga, i'm pretty sure they wont censor the light novels aswell. censoring them will be... pretty well stupid.

i'm positive about this news.
Old 2008-04-17, 21:30   Link #936
Hypertaost
I misspelled, it's toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
So does this mean that baka-tsuki is going to drop their translating of the novels from here onward? That is $%)*(#$ lame, this is going to be like the Shana novels. Waiting 6 months for an ok translation and nothing ever gets released.
This is precisely why I gave up on the engish Shana novels. Thankfully I can read chinese, which comes out faster than english ones most of the time. No amount of lawsuits will ever make chinese fans go down! And they almost never listen to the companies. (for example, english VN translators will release a patch and tell you to go buy the game, while chinese translators give you a patch and a link to a torrent of the game. I'm not saying that I downloaded those torrents or anything though, don't start accusing me of stuff.)

I hope baka tsuki'll continue the translation though, they really did a good job.
Old 2008-04-17, 21:32   Link #937
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
This thread on the AnimeonDVD.com forums sheds a little light on the licensing and that the industry rep does post there so he could answer any questions you could have...

Holy shit.

Well, if they can promise to not censor the manga, I guess the novels won't be censored either.

Making Haruhi a household name, huh?

...I'm seriously welling up right now. That's beautiful...

Guess Haruhi gets to take over the world after all, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
...does this mean we have to wait until 2016 before we can get volume 10?

Holy shit...

EDIT. Hmmmm, the website for Little Brown books doesn't quite look like a Kids publisher...
Wrong website:

http://www.hachettebookgroupusa.com/children/index.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypertaost View Post
This is precisely why I gave up on the engish Shana novels. Thankfully I can read chinese, which comes out faster than english ones most of the time. No amount of lawsuits will ever make chinese fans go down! And they almost never listen to the companies. (for example, english VN translators will release a patch and tell you to go buy the game, while chinese translators give you a patch and a link to a torrent of the game. I'm not saying that I downloaded those torrents or anything though, don't start accusing me of stuff.)

I hope baka tsuki'll continue the translation though, they really did a good job.
Don't count on it.
Old 2008-04-17, 21:38   Link #938
shaoron
AQS representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Don't count on it.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooo...........!
shaoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-17, 21:40   Link #939
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaoron View Post
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooo...........!
Bah, that post convinced me of the licensor's credibility anyway.
Old 2008-04-17, 21:41   Link #940
Hedd
Random Object

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post

I didn't see any address or notation on this. If we got a forum location or email address, we could get the 'sheens running and maybe get a popular demand translation done. Fill a businesses email box and they tend to listen.

Addendum: Seems the Little Brown Book group isn't a kids group though from their website. We may have hope. I'd still say fill their email box

Tags
shounen, sneaker bunko, seinen, light novels, manga