AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-05-15, 15:06   Link #1021
UPR
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Puerto Rico
Age: 24
I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I will post it just in case.

But the title for the 10th novel is:

Suzumiya Haruhi no Kyogaku (The Astonishment of Haruhi Suzumiya).

I will just shoot in the dark. But I saw some info about all the novels and the numbers were stated as 1 out 10, 2 out of 10 etc... and now 10 out of 10. Does anybody know what that may entail?
__________________
UPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-15, 18:39   Link #1022
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by UPR View Post
I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I will post it just in case.

But the title for the 10th novel is:

Suzumiya Haruhi no Kyogaku (The Astonishment of Haruhi Suzumiya).

I will just shoot in the dark. But I saw some info about all the novels and the numbers were stated as 1 out 10, 2 out of 10 etc... and now 10 out of 10. Does anybody know what that may entail?
We know what the title is... -_-

Just that no one can seem to agree on how to translate "Kyogaku".


And if you saw that info on Wikipedia, it's because a) They're full of carp, and b) because only 10 novels have been announced to date.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-15, 22:33   Link #1023
Tunafishisgood
Tuna Lover
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
We know what the title is... -_-

Just that no one can seem to agree on how to translate "Kyogaku".


And if you saw that info on Wikipedia, it's because a) They're full of carp, and b) because only 10 novels have been announced to date.
Can I see the Kanji for this Kyogaku? maybe If I translate it in korean I might have better understanding.
Tunafishisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-15, 22:45   Link #1024
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Korea
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunafishisgood View Post
Can I see the Kanji for this Kyogaku? maybe If I translate it in korean I might have better understanding.
驚愕 (경악)

The type of Astonishment here is close to "UNBELIEVABLE!"
__________________
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-15, 23:06   Link #1025
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kang Seung Jae View Post
驚愕 (경악)

The type of Astonishment here is close to "UNBELIEVABLE!"
INCONCIEVABLE That's interesting. Of course, the title rarely has anything to do with the plot, so...

My point was that Wiki is using "Surprise" while B-T are using "Astonishment"...

I guess B-T is closer to the correct meaning?
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-15, 23:07   Link #1026
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Korea
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
My point was that Wiki is using "Surprise" while B-T are using "Astonishment"...
Wikipedia also uses "Astonishment".
__________________
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-15, 23:13   Link #1027
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kang Seung Jae View Post
Wikipedia also uses "Astonishment".
...That's new.

It didn't yesterday.

Also, the main novel page refers to it as "Suprise."
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-15, 23:53   Link #1028
Tunafishisgood
Tuna Lover
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Ohh 경악... that sounds really.. similar... lol

As far as I know it does mean something of a suprise... but the word leans more towards the negative side... it's not happy suprise.. Do you have english word for that?
Tunafishisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-15, 23:56   Link #1029
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Korea
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunafishisgood View Post
Ohh 경악... that sounds really.. similar... lol

As far as I know it does mean something of a suprise... but the word leans more towards the negative side... it's not happy suprise.. Do you have english word for that?
경악 has no positive/negative meanings. It just means "extremely suprised".
__________________
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-16, 00:03   Link #1030
Tunafishisgood
Tuna Lover
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kang Seung Jae View Post
경악 has no positive/negative meanings. It just means "extremely suprised".
I see, thx for clarifying that for me
XD I havent been in Korea for a while... *sniffles....

But still I have heard words like 경탄 and stuff... that is also 'suprised' isnt it?

Btw I think The Astonishment of Haruhi Suzumiya sounds cooler than Suprise.

Edit: Today's Useless thought... X3
Spoiler:

Last edited by Tunafishisgood; 2008-05-16 at 00:21.
Tunafishisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-16, 01:18   Link #1031
Hedd
Random Object
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Funny, I don't remember Kyon saying anything about starfish
__________________
Hedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-16, 01:32   Link #1032
shaoron
AQS representative
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedd View Post
Funny, I don't remember Kyon saying anything about starfish
thatstarfish will bring the 2 world together!
__________________
I am never gonna say good bye,
never run around is my body, never desert you is my blood
unknown to telling lies, nor known to hurting you
have rolled the rick over nine thousand times
yet never gonna give you up
so as I sing, UNLIMITED RICKROLL WORKS
shaoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-16, 12:24   Link #1033
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunafishisgood View Post
Edit: Today's Useless thought... X3
Spoiler:
That would be the greatest thing ever.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-16, 14:29   Link #1034
typhonsentra
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: USA
Has anyone discussed the possibility that the mystery girl could end up being....

Spoiler:
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-16, 14:58   Link #1035
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
Has anyone discussed the possibility that the mystery girl could end up being....

Spoiler:
Dear god no.

Just no.

I'd rather see an original character than something we created.

Besides, the mystery girl bears no resemblance to Kyon-chan personality- or looks-wise.

I'm more inclined to believe the theory that she's actually an older Kyon's Sister from an alternate universe.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-16, 16:12   Link #1036
Tunafishisgood
Tuna Lover
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Afterall Having Fuuko there is most convinient.. She has ability to show up out of nowhere like mysterious girl in vol 9

But then why would anyone bring character from another series in his/her pefectly capable novel?

However, it is funny think what would happen if it was Fuuko.. Kyon would have a fit... another weird being and marine animals to deal with.
Tunafishisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-16, 16:29   Link #1037
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunafishisgood View Post
However, it is funny think what would happen if it was Fuuko..
If that happened I wouldn't find it funny, I'd drop Haruhi immediately. Death to Clannad!
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-16, 16:47   Link #1038
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
If that happened I wouldn't find it funny, I'd drop Haruhi immediately. Death to Clannad!
You, sir, fail forever. Clannad is amazing and so is Haruhi.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-16, 16:58   Link #1039
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Socal
Age: 24
Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via Skype™ to DJ_RockmanX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
If that happened I wouldn't find it funny, I'd drop Haruhi immediately. Death to Clannad!
Do I sense a twinge of bitterness here?
__________________

DJ_RockmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-16, 17:11   Link #1040
Aebliss
Story Master
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Send a message via AIM to Aebliss
People, please. Tastes may simply differ. Let us not allow the Seitenkan thread to devolve into a 'this sucks, that is cool'-thread, hm?
Aebliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
shounen, sneaker bunko, seinen, light novels, manga

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.