AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2006-04-07, 09:00   Link #1
twh
Something or other...

When to "Stop Seeding"

I'm an avid BT Downloader, but recently, I figured out how to seed and do it right, making sure my share ratio is above 1:1.

Now, however, I've found I got quite a few files on my Azureus client (+100) that I've downloaded and am seeding and I was wondering what would be the best set of criteria to stop sharing some of these things. Obviously, I want to keep seeing the stuff where I'm the only seed (i.e. MST3K movies), and on a few, my share ratio is over 1:5 (down:up) since I've been the only one seeding them for so long. Whereas, I got a myriad of other files, with plent of seeds, stuck at .5 because the other files are hogging all the uploading speeds.

Any opinions and what not are definately appreciated.
twh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-07, 09:16   Link #2
DWKnight
Torrent Goon

Send a message via ICQ to DWKnight Send a message via AIM to DWKnight Send a message via MSN to DWKnight Send a message via Yahoo to DWKnight
D:U of 1:1 is plenty.
Once a torrent has reached 1:2 D:U, you can probably remove it from your seeding rotation.
DWKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-07, 16:40   Link #3
Gaiarth

I think the 1:2 point is a reasonable place to stop. I limit it so I only have 10 active seeds (above the max download limit), dropping ones that get to the 200% so that any waiting can get their turn. If I have less than 10 things to seed, I just let everything run until I need the space. It stops me getting bogged down.
Gaiarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-07, 21:22   Link #4
sophismata
いいえ

Well, if they have no seeds, I would keep seeding them in preference to those files that have plenty of seeds...

But other opinions may differ.
sophismata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-07, 21:58   Link #5
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

My opinion is seed to what your connection allows.

If you have 3 mbit / 320 kbit connection (download/upload), then a 10:1 ratio is fine by me.

AIR 2005! Kanon 2006! CLANNAD 2007-2008! Planetarian OAV/Movie 2010?
Maceart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-08, 12:27   Link #6
Sandman21
Inevitable demise.

1:1 ratio is good. Go over some and it's better. Give back what you take, is what I would say. But I'd prefer seeding torrents that are not seeded much, especially if you enjoyed it. It's all in your preference. Just my two cents here.
Sandman21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-10, 12:26   Link #7
Wervy
Cutely Pervy

Well mosy people just get lazy after they get to 1:1, some are even dull enough to leave if they are the only seed. I tend to stick around till I finish 2 people, that way there should be 2 copies of the file out there for the one I am taking.
Wervy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-10, 20:30   Link #8
tweaker

Here's my approach to seeding:

1) if I am downloading during the day, I let it run until I get home; when I get home, I
just turn it off if it is seeding. I usually end up at around 0.7 to 1.5

2) I sometimes start big (gig+) downloads before going to sleep, I let these run all night
and throughout the day; I usually end up seeding these at around the same range.

I also run an sftp server, so if I have clients attached, I turn off seeding early.

tweak
tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 02:39   Link #9
Juan Valdez

I set BitComet to stop at 1:1.2, and to keep seeding if there is a low number of seeds.

Although sometimes my upload speed will exceed my download speed throughout the duration of the download and BitComet will automatically stop as soon as the download finishes, as the ratio exceeds 1:1.2. In those cases I won't have seeded at all, but still uploaded more than I downloaded.
Juan Valdez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 11:55   Link #10
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I have to run under a satellite connection from my location and have strict limits on total throughput before some nasty caps blow. My solution is to run download at any speed it wants but to limit upload to 10KB/s per torrent and just let a couple run as long as possible. Naturally I get periodic calls from the satellite people "concerned I may have a zombie on my network" and I have to remind them that I have a business class subscription with them and run a web server and a mail server and they should expect a lot of uplink traffic, d'uh.
Cap is 350MB/4hrs .... <sigh> the *first* thing I'm doing after winning the lottery is having a T1 line run to my house.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 15:20   Link #11
DWKnight
Torrent Goon

Send a message via ICQ to DWKnight Send a message via AIM to DWKnight Send a message via MSN to DWKnight Send a message via Yahoo to DWKnight
Go for an OC3 Vexx
155mbit uplink
DWKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-21, 02:15   Link #12
tritoch

ohh.. my ratio is around 4.24.. there was a time it went to 6 but i suddenly went manga downloading without much uploading and it went to 4.. oh well..
tritoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-21, 03:21   Link #13
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

The first thing I'm going to do when I'm getting a job is to get a connection where I can upload a whole lot ... I'm just 6 Gb above what I download, but that's good enough (for now). I can't expect much with a 384 Kbps connection ...
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-21, 13:28   Link #14
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Well, if the file is small and the number of seeds is small, I seed beyond 1:1 usually. If the file is big however, and I have other things to download or upload, 1:1 does the trick for me.
npal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-21, 21:36   Link #15
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I do what npal says often ... for J-Pop music or stuff like that I often seed beyond 5.0.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-24, 15:28   Link #16
Shi-chan
Chanchanchan

Got a 256kbps connection with a limited upload of 2 gig a month (download 8 gig)... So my share is something like 4:1 (shame) becaus I just can't upload a thing 'caus of my datalimit.
Shi-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-25, 05:12   Link #17
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

it really depends on how many seeders there are and how fast the download off the main site is. the slower it is the longer you want to seed. but if people are getting their files completed in 20mins, no point in seeding.
Old 2006-06-15, 07:39   Link #18
Kalashnikov

is there even such a thing as "seeding too much"?

for me, if i'm not downloading anything. i seed stuff that's hard to find on the net. but i never really payed attention to my ratio nor have i even thought that it'd be bad to seed for too long.
Kalashnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-17, 13:30   Link #19
Shinoto
Rollin' Like A Boss

You all have it backwards...

you want to go for that 1million and 0 ratio .

Honestly dont worry about seeding too much. Download the thing, but while you watch it keep it seeding. After your done watching the show if you want to remove it or not. I mean dont worry about seeding too much.
Old 2006-06-17, 13:48   Link #20
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Yes, the problem is that if the people you download from don't worry about seeding either, you'd be left at 90%, cursing the stupid seeders who left and praying for months for someone to return. I suggest you start worrying.
npal is offline   Reply With Quote