AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2007-08-23, 22:06   Link #41
steelbound
Yuki-ism

New anime that has 100+ seeders and a good ratio is stopped at 100% share ratio.

For older anime/lower seeded anime I share a long time, normally at least 300% but if the number seeding is below 15 then I won't stop uploading. I'll wait till the number of seeds go above 20 or if I become the last seed then a week without anyone downloading to stop uploading.

I've created a few torrents of non-anime stuff and those I will always seed since I feel responsible for them.
Old 2007-09-16, 07:20   Link #42
Iloveme

I always seed atleast 1:1 things i like i seed for ever <3

But i alwasy keep the torrents in my seeding list incase a torrent should lose all seeders, then i can just go in and seed so the torrent doesn't dies ^_^
(I delete torrents when i need space thou)
Iloveme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-07, 22:37   Link #43
raylottery

I will generally seed at least 1 : 1 ( stuff where there's a billion seeders)
and for torrents with less people I will seed anywhere from 1 : 1.5 up to 1 : 3

(D:U)
Old 2007-10-09, 23:36   Link #44
Alysha
Do the impossible.

Send a message via MSN to Alysha
I seed double what I download. It doesn't slow my computer down if I do it while sleeping. =]
Old 2007-10-10, 06:24   Link #45
Ellestar

I keep a big archive on HDDs (2.3 Tb right now) so i think for me it's more important to seed rare torrents. So i cancel seeding immediately if there is 5 or more seeds on that torrent, no matter what's my current ratio is. People who delete everything after watching may seed popular torrents after they downloaded it anyway, so it will be better if i'll seed a rare things. That's just a more efficient use of my upload bandwidth (10 mbit/s divided evenly between torrent and two DC++ hubs, thankfully my provider doesn't mind 1 Tb upload traffic per month).
Ellestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-10, 12:31   Link #46
Thingle
Banned

One doesn't have the actual obligation to seed until he gets a 1.000 ratio. Stop seeding when you no longer feel like it. They should be grateful when you seed. Remember, if you have the file they want, you call the shots and they should wait for you to seed instead of you waiting for them to finish downloading.
Thingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-12, 22:43   Link #47
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
One doesn't have the actual obligation to seed until he gets a 1.000 ratio. Stop seeding when you no longer feel like it. They should be grateful when you seed. Remember, if you have the file they want, you call the shots and they should wait for you to seed instead of you waiting for them to finish downloading.
The point is, you got this out of gratitude from other people in the first place

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-19, 20:27   Link #48
mukansa monkey
Pink bug make Amu angry!

Part of this issue has to do with how hefty your ability to upload is. If you're a kid whose parents get annoyed when you hog the 128k DSL line that they're trying to surf over, and you certainly couldn't let torrents run overnight, achieving a 1:1 might not be practical for you. On the other end, if you have an uncapped 10Mbit upload... please donate generously to us mere mortals.

I have a cable connection with an 80KB upload rate. My minimum upload ratio for any torrent is 1.5:1. Sometimes I gotta run for a couple days to achieve that, but it gets there.
I seed using the Seed:Peer ratio. I have it set to pretend there's 1 full copy for every 5 peers, thus it heavily favors smaller swarms. Which for anime is generally older and/or less popular series that I like and want to keep alive. Since I frequently leave Azureus running overnight, my overall upload ratio is about 4:1, and in the case of some series I've uploaded 40+ copies.

It pisses me off that I pay Comcast $60 a month for a piddly 80KB upload rate. So I abuse my connection on a regular basis, seeding away merrily.
Old 2007-11-19, 06:08   Link #49
niwroc

I have a 30/15 connection, so I end with a pretty extreme ratio (for someone in America). To put it in perspective, a 170mb file takes me about 85-90 seconds to upload. I once mistakenly left a Lucky Star torrent on all night and served 194 people... and that was with about 8 other torrents going... yeah...

Maybe when symmetrical internet finally booms in the U. S. of A. we might see decent speed on torrents. As it stands, if I download a 4gig torrent, the chances are slim that I will come close to equaling my 2 megabytes per second upload, let alone filling my whole 4 megabyte downstream... so essentially, within 35 minutes I'll have uploaded 4gigs, while I have to wait for about 9 hours to download the whole file; at that rate I'd be sitting at a 16:1 share ratio. It sucks, but it makes me feel good

Just remember, I feel really bad for all of you who are suffering through the "broadband" 256kbit connections, so for each of you who are in that kind of situation let's pretend that I (and everyone else like me) are uploading the final 50% of your .500 ratio torrents
niwroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-19, 15:49   Link #50
Isariru
Arg, Inspire me

If I uncap my upload I can upload at 200 Kb/s easy, but then I'd be bogging down the entire network in my household. I usually go to sleep at 5 am ish and my mom wakes up at 7 and she gets on her computer to read news, check email etc. I don't think it's fair if I just bog down the entire network. So I usually just leave my global upload capped at 40 kb/s and my network is never harmed at all. When I download weekly animes I leave them up all week til the next episode comes out, so sure if I'm only uploading at 15 kb/s per file my ratio still can be quite high. Imagine if 300 people on the tracker do the same thing as I, you shouldn't have much trouble downloading files.
Old 2007-12-11, 01:10   Link #51
Thingle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
The point is, you got this out of gratitude from other people in the first place
Regardless brah, Just because I got my file from another person's generosity doesn't mean I should reciprocate. My decision-making ability exists for a reason you know.
Old 2007-12-12, 18:58   Link #52
Eviltape

I just leave uTorrent on seeding everything when I'm not using the internet heavily (everything except 4chan, Youtube/Stage6, etc) or playing multiplayer games. It works pretty well in making sure I share the wub, imo.
Eviltape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-13, 19:18   Link #53
DesoNoto

I usually finish seeding when I have a 1:1 ratio, but on low seeded torrents I seed longer to help out.
DesoNoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-15, 06:02   Link #54
Dxon
Inactive user

My seeding always goes faster than my downloading so i dont care how long i seed. Cuz useally i got 1:2 when not even done downloading! :O
Dxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-15, 17:40   Link #55
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Regardless brah, Just because I got my file from another person's generosity doesn't mean I should reciprocate. My decision-making ability exists for a reason you know.
Of course, you can choose to be a complete ass. Who said you can't?

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-18, 15:15   Link #56
Dxon
Inactive user

I dont even notice when im downloading since I didnt forward my ports and dont start like saying:
"Go to portforward.com and blah blah blah."

I cant forward ok? My dad is in charge of the router and he changed the default pass since he knows I know how to do this stuff.. And asking him to forward them is a no-go..
Im stuck with half-open ports..
Old 2007-12-18, 16:37   Link #57
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dxon View Post
I cant forward ok? My dad is in charge of the router and he changed the default pass since he knows I know how to do this stuff.. And asking him to forward them is a no-go..
Im stuck with half-open ports..
If your router supports it you could just ask him to enable UPnP and then use a client that support UPnP forwarding. It's the easier and more secure option than port forwarding.
Old 2007-12-19, 02:44   Link #58
Dxon
Inactive user

My father downloads quite a lot too so I wonder if he already enabled UPnP..
We got the connection but not the ports.. :P
I can have around 1 MB/s download. >o<
Old 2007-12-20, 07:04   Link #59
Thingle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Of course, you can choose to be a complete ass. Who said you can't?
Yes. And the good thing is that none of you can do anything about it
Old 2007-12-25, 15:22   Link #60
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingle View Post
Yes. And the good thing is that none of you can do anything about it
If you anger enough people, sure we can. We can try to start something rather counterproductive and form a large list of blacklisted IPs. If enough people adopted it, you'd essentially be banned from all BitTorrent services.

Would it happen? Probably not. The point is to say that something can happen, so try not to anger too many people. You're dealing with a community - as a part of that community, you ideally want it to thrive. Stealing from the community or performing other forms of harm doesn't help it. If the community goes, so does your connection to it. Don't forget.