AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > School Rumble

Notices

View Poll Results: Vote for your Favourite SR Factions (multiple choice allowed)
Flag / Jersey Faction: Harima x Eri 412 63.00%
Oudou / Correct Path Faction: Harima x Tenma 63 9.63%
Onigiri / Riceball Faction: Harima x Yakumo 295 45.11%
Kids Meal Faction: Harima x Eri x Yakumo 157 24.01%
True Oudou Faction: Karasuma x Tenma 89 13.61%
Dream Come True Faction: Hanai x Yakumo 25 3.82%
Flute Faction: Hanai x Mikoto 156 23.85%
Kite / Chocolate Faction: Hanai x Akira 22 3.36%
Glasses Faction: Hanai x Yuuki 28 4.28%
Applejuice / Apple Faction: Imadori x Ichijou 182 27.83%
Banana Faction: Imadori x Lala 33 5.05%
D Faction: Imadori x Mikoto 31 4.74%
Basketball Faction: Asou x Mikoto 75 11.47%
Chinese Food Faction: Asou x Sara 69 10.55%
Cookies / Dynamite Faction: Tani x Tae 45 6.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 654. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2006-07-09, 15:17   Link #141
ZhangKhaiEn
張凱恩
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: 中国杭州市
Age: 26
We wouldn't know.

She (kind of) fought for Kenji in the school play. There's just something in her eyes that hold a deeper meaning to their sempai-kouhai relationship...
ZhangKhaiEn is offline  
Old 2006-07-10, 00:18   Link #142
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Moe Land
Age: 34
Speaking of School Play did anyone noticed that when Eri was about to give the kiss Harima closed the curtains and the second time he shouted "I don't want your kiss!". But when Yakumo was going to give the kiss to Harima, he was'nt even moving. Hmm...Onigiri faction may still have a chance if Yakumo would develop a backbone or be her old-self when she was young in the manga.
__________________
Vampire+Sisters
kenjiharima is offline  
Old 2006-07-10, 06:08   Link #143
Turambar
Procrastination Major
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 26
Mmm, Kids meal for me plz!

Actually I'm usually flag most of the time but that's because there are more flag development chaps/eps than there are onigiri, but when the onigiri ones come around I switch all of a sudden :P
Turambar is offline  
Old 2006-07-11, 03:56   Link #144
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Moe Land
Age: 34
Flag/Jersey is funny and romantic, but onigiri is SO sweet you can get tooth decay and it has it's shares of funny moments. AGH!! Gimme KIDS MEAL!!! HAAARRREEEMMMAAA!! >_<
__________________
Vampire+Sisters
kenjiharima is offline  
Old 2006-07-11, 15:22   Link #145
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool?
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz
knowing yakumo she would just let Eri have harima cause shes just to shy to fight for him >.<
There are two much bigger reasons:
1) Yakumo has not demonstrated a romantic interest in Harima.
2) Harima has not demonstrated a romantic interest in Yakumo.

Most people get excited about the Flag/Onigiri rivalry (while it lasts) because it seems to reduce the series to the familiar harem anime formula - the love story appears to be a competition to see who can 'win' the main protagonist. In actuality, though, the 'rivalry' is little more than a plot device to explore Eri's feelings of inadequacy over a couple of story arcs. We tend to assume that Yakumo has feelings for Harima for the purposes of constructing a love triangle between the three; note, however, that while there is a lot of innuendo that is suggestive of romance (a guy and a girl who are often alone in a room together), there is nothing there that actually establishes an interest on either side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima
Speaking of School Play did anyone noticed that when Eri was about to give the kiss Harima closed the curtains and the second time he shouted "I don't want your kiss!". But when Yakumo was going to give the kiss to Harima, he was'nt even moving. Hmm...Onigiri faction may still have a chance if Yakumo would develop a backbone or be her old-self when she was young in the manga.
Actually, he was sweating bullets until she told him that she was only going to fake it. This was already discussed in some depth in the Ep.6 thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima
Flag/Jersey is funny and romantic, but onigiri is SO sweet you can get tooth decay and it has it's shares of funny moments. AGH!! Gimme KIDS MEAL!!! HAAARRREEEMMMAAA!! >_<
If you're mainly deciding based on 'sweet', you'll find yourself converting, soon enough.
Swampstorm is offline  
Old 2006-07-11, 15:28   Link #146
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: uk, England
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
^ true so far yakumo only got close to harima cause she wanted to talk about animals and being helpful to him when he asked her to help him with his manga...but still isnt there a chance where yakumo starts to develop interest in harima? and whts wrong with getting a kiss from yakumo -___- harima has bad tastes...
__________________

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline  
Old 2006-07-11, 16:49   Link #147
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool?
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz
^ true so far yakumo only got close to harima cause she wanted to talk about animals and being helpful to him when he asked her to help him with his manga...but still isnt there a chance where yakumo starts to develop interest in harima? and whts wrong with getting a kiss from yakumo -___- harima has bad tastes...
There's always room for future developments for any possible faction - none of us know what KJ is thinking, after all. That being said, there's nothing that really distinguishes Onigiri from Marker, MI, or Pencil in that regard, except for the fact that Yakumo is generally considered to be more popular than Tae, Akira, and Mikoto.

The real difficulty here is that Eri has fully developed a romantic interest in Harima, and there's little chance of her breaking that off without getting hurt in the process. Aside from the entertainment value of the pairings, my only real interest is in seeing Eri get the happy ending that she deserves.
Swampstorm is offline  
Old 2006-07-12, 05:01   Link #148
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Moe Land
Age: 34
Hmm..nahh I need to be loyal to my favorite Onigiri/ Kids meal. Harima needs more than one woman if you ask me. (HAREMMA ^^)

I like Eri btw, especially when her hair is down.
__________________
Vampire+Sisters
kenjiharima is offline  
Old 2006-07-12, 05:15   Link #149
ZhangKhaiEn
張凱恩
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: 中国杭州市
Age: 26
Quote:
There's nothing that really distinguishes Onigiri from Marker, MI, or Pencil in that regard, except for the fact that Yakumo is generally considered to be more popular than Tae, Akira, and Mikoto.
Nu uh. The reason Onigiri has that much of a following because it is also the most likely of the other factions (with the close exception of Flag) to succeed. No contest there. (unless the future chapters give us an unexpected twist..)

Quote:
[...] seeing Eri get the happy ending that she deserves.
I don't see how the spolied, backstabbing, loudmouth should deserve Kenji more than the calm, softspoken, and gentle Yakumo.. >_<;;

Don't get me wrong~ I'm not as anti-flag as I sound.. ^_^;; Eri's actually my second choice directly after Yakumo~

I must admit, Flag is indeed the most likely pairing that KJ will push through with. Second most likely will be Oodou and third will be Onigiri, IMO. Nevertheless, I'll still be cheering for imouto-san~! n_n

Also, I find it interesting how Onigiri and Flag factions always argue about the best match, but when asked who their second choice would be.. Bingo! It's Eri for Onigiri and Yakumo for Flag.. xD (Everybody just.. hates Tenma.. huh..? xD)
ZhangKhaiEn is offline  
Old 2006-07-12, 09:28   Link #150
haiz123321
Obey me world!
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
tenma shuld go with the kappa guy and let harima have 2 chicks instead
haiz123321 is offline  
Old 2006-07-12, 11:00   Link #151
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool?
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhangKhaiEn
Nu uh. The reason Onigiri has that much of a following because it is also the most likely of the other factions (with the close exception of Flag) to succeed. No contest there. (unless the future chapters give us an unexpected twist..)
You need to take into account the effect of the current storyline on your perspective. Someone in the middle of reading the Eri vs. Mikoto or Eri vs. Tae portions of the manga will percieve the associated factions as being more relevant. People who have been following along with the anime's Eri vs. Yakumo rivalry are bound to assume that Onigiri is more important. When you examine an overview of the manga, however, each rivalry only constitutes a part of the overall story. What's more, each rivalry exists entirely in Eri's mind - the central conflict of these story arcs isn't between Eri and her rival, but are instead between Eri and herself. The resolution of each "rivalry" results in character growth and development for Eri.

Based on what I've seen, Onigiri behaves exactly the same as the others. Eight months is a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhangKhaiEn
I don't see how the spolied, backstabbing, loudmouth should deserve Kenji more than the calm, softspoken, and gentle Yakumo.. >_<;;
This is where our attitudes towards the series differ. From your statement, you seem to equate "happy ending" with "winning Harima". As I mentioned in an earlier post, this is probably related to the harem anime phenomenon - we tend to view the romance genre as a sort of sporting event where we can root for our favourite team. SR, by contrast, is character driven - the real value of the series comes from watching the characters grow, mature, and achieve their dreams.

As of the present moment, we have the opportunity for a win-win situation. As of late, we've seen Yakumo learning to open up to her friends, and we've seen a bright future in store for her with Sara in college. Yakumo's future happiness is in no way dependent on a relationship with Harima, especially in light of the fact that she hasn't developed a romantic interest in him, to date. In Eri's case, however, there's a strong body of evidence to suggest that an ending without Flag will be an unfulfilling one.

In order to justify the Onigiri approach, you would need to demonstrate that Eri should not have a happy ending, and that Yakumo should. The usual approach to rationalize this is by portraying Eri as evil (thus deserving to suffer) and by portraying Yakumo as angelic (thus deserving of happiness) - as you have attempted to do here. The problem with this approach is that it depends on using character stereotypes that have little basis in reality.

You claim that Eri is "selfish" - which is likely based on the fact that she is introduced to us as the classic rich, spoiled princess type. Yet, throughout the series, we see plenty of examples to the contrary. From the importance that Eri places on taking the time to cook a meal for her father, to her interactions with children and the sick, it becomes evident that 'selfless' is a much more appropriate label for Eri than 'selfish'. Eri, similar to Tenma, is more externally focused - her strengths come from her kindness towards others and her genuine interest in their welfare, and her weaknesses come from her dependance on others for validation and her resulting lack of self-esteem. Another important point to note is that Eri tends to do her good deeds in secret - the support that she gives to Tenma in Ep.5 S1, the encouragement that she gives to Akira in Ep.4 S2, the financial assistance that she gives to Harima in Ep.12 S2 are all excellent examples of this. This approach adds an element of genuineness to Eri's good deeds that makes them stand out - she actively avoids the praise and personal gain attached to those acts. The observations made about Eri during Ch.185 should really drive the above points home, as well.

All characters have their share of strengths and weaknesses. Yakumo, too, doesn't match up with the "perfect girl" type that she is introduced to us as. Compliance is not the same thing as acceptance - Yakumo often agrees to be helpful, but rarely takes the initiative to do good deeds on her own. In addition, her early interactions with Hanai demonstrate hidden aggression lurking within her character - which later turn out to be directed primarily at Tenma (Ch.174). Yakumo, like Harima, is more internally focused - her strengths come from her ability to validate herself and her strength of character, and her weaknesses come from her inability to emotionally connect with others and her lack of genuine social interest.

Neither character is "good" or "evil". Your preferences depend entirely whose weaknesses strike you as more acceptable. May all the characters in SR be as happy as they can be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhangKhaiEn
Also, I find it interesting how Onigiri and Flag factions always argue about the best match, but when asked who their second choice would be.. Bingo! It's Eri for Onigiri and Yakumo for Flag.. xD (Everybody just.. hates Tenma.. huh..? xD
I beg to differ - Oudou is actually my second choice. I don't support the alternate Harima factions (Marker/MI/Onigiri/Pencil) because neither side is interested. A Flag or Oudou pairing means that only one character who isn't successful in his/her romantic endevours - either Eri or Harima. All of the other pairings result in two characters who are unsuccessful, with the purpose of pairing up two characters who aren't even romantically interested in each other, to begin with.

While my relative preferences for Flag and Oudou vary with the story, the main distinction that I see between those two factions is the approach that each takes towards building a relationship. Harima, for the most part, is focused on "winning" Tenma over - he's sees a relationship with Tenma as a means of fulfilling his desires, rather than as a means of fulfilling hers. That being said, Harima has done the occasional "heroic" act for Tenma from time to time, which always seems to do wonders for my esteem of that faction.
Swampstorm is offline  
Old 2006-07-12, 11:17   Link #152
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: uk, England
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Eri isnt selfish...she is just stuck up at times (being rich and all) and besides she can be sweet when she wants to...classic tsundere chara IMO
__________________

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline  
Old 2006-07-13, 02:53   Link #153
xxxluckyxxx
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
this would be my choice XD



its just that i want to see what harima would do in later episodes, but i like eri so far, cuz yakumo hasnt really shown anything for harima
xxxluckyxxx is offline  
Old 2006-07-13, 03:34   Link #154
npal
I desire Tomorrow!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: As far from reality as possible
Age: 32
^ That would be my choice, too, but there's no way you could pull that in real life without being the owner of Playboy
__________________
npal is offline  
Old 2006-07-13, 05:18   Link #155
haiz123321
Obey me world!
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
omg swamp u have a long post there lol
haiz123321 is offline  
Old 2006-07-14, 06:09   Link #156
just4kickz
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Harima should have both girls. But Yakumo is sorta boring.
Btw, whats that thing that Harima wears to keep his hair slicked back?
just4kickz is offline  
Old 2006-07-14, 06:51   Link #157
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Moe Land
Age: 34
Quote:
Harima should have both girls. But Yakumo is sorta boring.
Btw, whats that thing that Harima wears to keep his hair slicked back?

Yakumo is not boring, she's just the typical quite,shy girl who has a hot headed past.

Harima's hair is long and using a "GIRLS" headband he brushes it up. It can work in real life, I got alot of freinds that looks like harima, but
with out the glasses. BTW my cousin said in season1 harima looks like a rapist because of the HIGE, now she can't get over him that
how handsome he is w/out the hige. ACK!! Girls really!! XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxluckyxxx
this would be my choice XD



its just that i want to see what harima would do in later episodes, but i like eri so far, cuz yakumo hasnt really shown anything for harima
NICE!!! OHH YEAH!!! <<<(Quote taken from Harima and Shuuji)
__________________
Vampire+Sisters

Last edited by kenjiharima; 2006-07-18 at 00:49.
kenjiharima is offline  
Old 2006-07-14, 08:17   Link #158
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: uk, England
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima


NICE!!! OHH YEAH!!! <<<(Quote taken from Harima and Shuuji)
haha i was thinking the same thing...
@just4kickz ~ you sed yakumo is boring...burn in hell -.-

p.s j/k
__________________

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline  
Old 2006-07-14, 10:13   Link #159
haiz123321
Obey me world!
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
lmao i think he really shuld burn in hell
haiz123321 is offline  
Old 2006-07-19, 05:18   Link #160
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Moe Land
Age: 34
Ahh!! Now I know why there is an Asou X Mikoto... aSOU Mikoto SOU
^__^

Either way if Yakumo was not created by KJ(Kill Joy Kobayashi Jin) in the manga, I think she'll be the the competitor against the famous flag faction.
__________________
Vampire+Sisters
kenjiharima is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.