AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2011-02-18, 16:51   Link #1281
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffo View Post
Spoiler for End game spoilers:

If the 360 port of Ever17 is ever officially brought over to America, I need convince my friend to buy it, even if she's never played a visual novel before. Though I may not do that if the changes added are for the worse and not for the better. Ah, I should've bought Ever17 years ago when I saw it on Rightstuf for a normal price...
Anyone else want to try petitioning to Aksys Games or something? They released 999 here, so we see that they like Visual Novels, and we could try doing the same thing here. Aksys doesn't even need to dub the game- IIRC, they released a game called Record of the Agarest War on the Xbox 360 without a dub, so they could do the same for Ever17. It's true that the Ever17 market wouldn't really be on the Xbox 360, but I'd be willing to get one for this game. What do you guys think? I know chances are slim, but it's still possible.
GundamAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-18, 17:08   Link #1282
TJR

TBH, I'm not dedicated enough to rebuy and reread (which I can easily do any time) the game just because of some extra bells and whistles (with any new story content likely retconned at that). I certainly wouldn't favor the re-localization of Ever17 over something that's never been translated before either.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-18, 17:25   Link #1283
winkel

TBH, I'm the exact opposite. If it was just a straight port like the PSP version was, I definitely would not be interested enough in buying it. But it's because of all the new bells and whistles they're touting that they have my current interest... and if it all lives up to expectations (Japan will tell us long before any localization if 5pb does pull this off or not) then I'm totally down with purchasing this new version. There's a lot of other things that would be nice to have brought over, but this game has a standing already among English audiences, and the link with 999 makes it even better, so it'd be a perfect first candidate to see if there's enough of a new audience for such games in the US.
winkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-18, 17:28   Link #1284
waffo
25% Unknown

Send a message via AIM to waffo Send a message via Yahoo to waffo
Hey, I would be willing to give it a shot. I knew about 999 but didn't know that the company also has a history of releasing undubbed games. I'd buy one for myself and all of my friends who own a 360 if I had to. There's no date of when this port is set to come out yet, right? We should have plenty of time to give Aksys an heads up that fans are interested and let them mull over the decision.

Last edited by waffo; 2011-02-18 at 17:35. Reason: Didn't notice someone posting above
waffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-18, 19:19   Link #1285
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

I think we should give it a go. In addition to all of the above, it would spread knowledge of this game in the USA and perhaps increase interest in the game, the Infinity series, and Visual Novels in general amongst a more common audience, like what happened with 999. The only problem is that the Xbox 360 is probably the worst console for this to be on to attract people like that.

But where exactly do we start with something like this? I don't really know things like this, but I think the best way would be to inform Aksys, then spread the word around the Internet to gain support for this "petition" of sorts. Anyone got any idea what our first move should be?
Old 2011-02-18, 19:26   Link #1286
winkel

Drumming up support in a general place that everyone can converge to and show Aksys that there are fans out there might work, like creating a thread in their official forums and spreading the word around for friends and such to voice their support in there.
Old 2011-02-18, 19:53   Link #1287
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamAce View Post
The only problem is that the Xbox 360 is probably the worst console for this to be on to attract people like that.
Should wait for the inevitable PC port, then.
Old 2011-02-18, 21:13   Link #1288
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Should wait for the inevitable PC port, then.
You can't say that for sure. As winkel said, only Chaos;Head and Stein's Gate have made it from Xbox 360 to PC out of the other 5pb. games out there, so there's no guarentee.
Old 2011-02-18, 21:18   Link #1289
Kaos!

Quote:
You can't say that for sure. As winkel said, only Chaos;Head and Stein's Gate have made it from Xbox 360 to PC out of the other 5pb. games out there, so there's no guarentee.
5pb did port Memories Off 6 straight to Chinese PC... So let's hope that history repeats for this case.
Kaos! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-18, 21:27   Link #1290
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaos! View Post
5pb did port Memories Off 6 straight to Chinese PC... So let's hope that history repeats for this case.
Was that more of a T-Time initiative (I've heard their ports are pretty bad though....)?

If 5pb isn't interested in the Japanese PC market, it might take Taiwanese licensing for a port to be produced.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-18, 21:53   Link #1291
Kaos!

It was ported to both China and Taiwan by YLT and T-Time respectively. But if any port comes 1st, it would be the Taiwan version that gets it 1st.

Edit: Koei did the Chinese Xbox360 port for Memories Off 7... So not too sure what's 5pb's strategy when it comes to the chinese market.
Kaos! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-18, 21:57   Link #1292
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

Hmm...if it only goes into the PC for Chinese, then I can't translate it. I don't think there's many people willing to translate games from Chinese to English.
Old 2011-02-18, 23:39   Link #1293
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

So, who wants to write the Aksys thread? I'd do it, but I'm not really good at writing these kinds of things.
Old 2011-02-19, 00:01   Link #1294
winkel

Maybe we can collaborate here and finalize it before posting over there or something.
Old 2011-02-19, 00:49   Link #1295
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

Quote:
I don't think there's many people willing to translate games from Chinese to English.
Many light novels are translated from the Chinese. Trust me, it's much, much easier to find people who are fluent in both Chinese and English than it is to find people who can speak both Japanese and English.
Old 2011-02-19, 04:23   Link #1296
Seitsuki
Onee!

Ooh lame. I think I'm one of those really weird native Chinese speakers whose learned Japanese ended being better than their Chinese due to interest and upbringing. I'm quite ashamed actually. (parents always lecturing me on how I'll one day regret my utter incompetence in the language, how important it is etc >.< )
Old 2011-02-19, 05:19   Link #1297
Polarem
Dango Digitizer

Collaboration sounds like a plan. Here's a few lines to get the ball rolling:

"One of the classics by Uchikoshi (author of 999) is getting a remake: 5pb is set to revamp Ever17, a story about 6 people trapped in a collapsing underwater theme park, and their attempt to uncover the conspiracy (if any) behind the 'accident'.

Existing E17 fans, would you buy the remake? Newcomers, would you be interested in playing this VN if it were available in English?"

What should we add/remove?

Also, judging by the other posts on the Neogaf thread from winkel's link, there seems to be decent demand for an Aksys localization, which looks promising.
Polarem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-19, 08:54   Link #1298
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

I think we should also add something about how it's consistently voted by many Visual Novel fans as the greatest VN of all time, explain its reputation, explain (with as much few details as possible) why it's considered so great, why we're so interested in this version, and why it's in their interests to localize it.

That's weird, my computer can't get to Neogaf. Anyone want to rouse them up and tell them what we're doing? The more help, the better.

I say we keep your stuff, Polarem. However, I would move the second sentence near the end.
Old 2011-02-19, 16:55   Link #1299
winkel

I think the title for the thread should be something like "From the creator of 999 and (pick some well known Nakazawa work, I/O, infinity, Myself;Yourself?" or something, so that people who see the title right away are attracted because of the reference to 999.

We should add a link to the teaser site too, since that will be the first place that new updates will probably hit, and casual people can stare at the pretty LeMU render.

I agree with emphasizing Ever17's high reputation, both in Japan as one of the best in the infinity series as well as an ADV in general, and it's popularity in the West, with almost everyone who's tried it being blown away.

We might want to point out the new features of this remake as well, like
* New scenarios and endings
* A makeover of the environment and LeMU
* 3-D characters
* And the new CGs and clothing designs

And of course, words are important, but a picture is a thousand words, so we should put up some images too! We can probably steal them from famitsu (copy and paste link in new browser to view) http://www.famitsu.com/news/201102/17040429.html

As for NeoGaf, once we make the thread in the Aksys boards, hopefully someone can toss the word and Aksys over to that thread I linked (I unfortunately do not have a posting account). As a part of us spreading the word out.
Old 2011-02-19, 23:18   Link #1300
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

Well, let's see. It's a bit hard to list another Nakazawa VN, since Ever17 is his most famous work, I/O isn't very well known (to my knowledge), listing Remember11 would be counter-productive since it's a part of the Infinity series, but I guess Myself ; Yourself might work.

Teaser links sounds like a good idea.

I think we could include how Ever17 is ranked #3 on vndb, and how it's similar to 999, but with even more twists.

The new features are definitely a must.

I agree with the pictures. Maybe a picture of the Famitsu article as well so they can get a better look as well?

We might want to mention the general positive reaction to the Infinity series in general, and how all of the Infinity series has been popular.

Other than that, we should definitely make it a "poll" topic. Do you guys think voice acting would be something to hype or not? I mean, we are targeting players of 999, so we could promote the game's great voice acting.

Tags
visual novel