AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Visual Novels, Mobage & Anime Spin-Off Games

Notices

Old 2011-02-21, 19:56   Link #1321
winkel

Agree with all the changes above ^

Though I kinda feel that might be enough... we don't want a long and overwhelming OP! With the seiyuu info, GundamAce's description, the logo pic, plus everything Polarem has put up so far, I would also perhaps emphasize that if one enjoyed 999, they'll definitely enjoy Ever17, or something.
winkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-21, 20:01   Link #1322
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

I think that's enough as well. If we think there's anything else we need to add, we can just post it in later, right? So let's combine everything we have and add winkel's suggestion, then post it up on Aksys!
GundamAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-22, 09:35   Link #1323
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

Quote:
Ever17 is part of the well reknowned Infinity series. Lauded for their interesting plots and seamless blending of science fiction with mystery and suspense along with colorful casts and unique set ups, the Infinity series is one of the most popular Visual Novel series of all time, both in Japan and in English speaking circles. Ever17 is the most popular in this series, heavily acclaimed for its fascinating characters and stunning twists, featuring a plot so complicated that it keeps you guessing until the very end.
Been paying attention to this thread, but might I suggest replacing complicated with something else? Unpredictable or something. I'm not sure if it's only me, but seeing how people are nowadays, reading that it's "complicated" might actually be a turn off.

Other than that, thumbs up!
Old 2011-02-22, 09:40   Link #1324
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

"Complex", "Engaging", or "Intuitive", maybe?
Old 2011-02-22, 10:24   Link #1325
waffo
25% Unknown

Send a message via AIM to waffo Send a message via Yahoo to waffo
Interesting, anyone take a look at the Aksys boards yet? My first glance at it makes me think it looks weird (the format) but I just looked at some of the threads right now.

In the thread (that's not a poll) called "NEW POLL - What game would you like to see Aksys bring over next?", there already is some discussion going on about whether visual novels should be attempted to be localized for a console. No mention of Ever17 yet, though.
waffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-22, 10:51   Link #1326
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffo View Post
Interesting, anyone take a look at the Aksys boards yet? My first glance at it makes me think it looks weird (the format) but I just looked at some of the threads right now.

In the thread (that's not a poll) called "NEW POLL - What game would you like to see Aksys bring over next?", there already is some discussion going on about whether visual novels should be attempted to be localized for a console. No mention of Ever17 yet, though.
We should make our move soon, then. This could be the best opportunity, what with 999 fans probably gathering there.
Old 2011-02-22, 11:26   Link #1327
Polarem
Dango Digitizer

Title candidate
Ever17: A remastered VN from the creators of 999 and Myself;Yourself
(Need a more poll-ish title for a poll topic)

Poll Release Candidate
Would you like to see an Aksys localization of Ever17?
  • Yes
  • No

Body Release Candidate

One of the classics by Uchikoshi (999) and his colleague Nakazawa (Myself;Yourself) is getting a remake for the XBox 360 -- 5pb is set to revamp Ever17, a story about 6 people trapped in a collapsing underwater theme park, and their fight to save their lives and to bring down the powers behind the 'accident.'

Fans can expect to see new features such as:
  • New scenarios and endings
  • Redesigned backgrounds
  • 3-D animated characters
  • New CGs and clothing designs

For the newcomers, Ever17 is the spiritual predecessor of 999, and is part of the well renowned Infinity series. Lauded for their intricate plots and seamless blending of science fiction with mystery and suspense, along with colorful casts and unique set ups, the Infinity series is one of the most popular Visual Novel series of all time, both in Japan and in English speaking circles. Ever17 is the most popular title in this series, heavily acclaimed for its fascinating characters and stunning twists, featuring a plot so elaborate that it keeps you guessing until the very end. Almost all who played it have been blown away by the story, which is of a similar style to 999 (albeit without the strong puzzle component), but with even more twists and an engaging storyline that's almost 3x the length of 999's.

To top things off, Ever17 is also voiced by famous seiyuus and singers including: Asakawa Yuu (Sakaki in Azumanga Daioh, Rider in Fate/Stay Night), Ueda Kana (Toosaka Rin in Fate/Stay Night, Fukuzawa Yumi in Maria-sama ga Miteru) and Hoshi Souichirou (Kira Yamato in Gundam SEED, Maebara Keiichi in Higurashi no Naku Koro ni).

Anyone who enjoyed 999 would definitely enjoy Ever17 too.

Ever17 was originally released on the PS2 and Dreamcast in Japan in 2002, then was later ported onto the PC in 2003 as "Ever17- Premium Edition". It was translated and released into English in 2005 by the now defunct Hirameki International. The game has been ported onto several other consoles in Japan, but this is the first time it's receiving a remake.

It has a devoted fanbase, allowing it to constantly hold its place in the Top 3 on vndb.org, despite being nearly 10 years old. It currently has an average score of 9.05/10.

The teaser site is at http://5pb.jp/games/ever17/. Stay tuned for updates!

So what do you guys think? Existing E17 fans, would you buy the remake? Newcomers, would you be interested in playing this VN if it were available in English? If not, which aspects of the game are holding you back? Looking forward to the discussions that ensue!

(Most images from Famitsu)
Polarem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-22, 11:33   Link #1328
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

I think this should be the final candidate. It covers all the grounds we really need to do for now, and it's just the right length. If we made it too long, we'd probably bore other people, and the images really catch your attention. All in favor of using this version?

P.S. Thanks for all your hard work, Polarem!
Old 2011-02-22, 11:40   Link #1329
Polarem
Dango Digitizer

To arms, my Brothers!

Great team effort, guys. I've done some adjective rewriting, so have a final read through, and make final comments and suggestions (especially for a title).

It's long past bedtime here and I'll be in college tomorrow morning, so I'll be gone for a while. Feel free to grab the source code and post it to Aksys (check that the LIST syntax works); or, I can do so at about 0800 UTC.
Old 2011-02-22, 12:01   Link #1330
Polarem
Dango Digitizer

My final suggestion: Remove "now defunct" from Hirameki's description. I read through the Aksys "poll" and there was lots of talk about games not being localized due to uncertainty about how it'll fare. The fact that another localizer closed down might spook them, despite the game's popularity.
Old 2011-02-22, 12:04   Link #1331
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarem View Post
My final suggestion: Remove "now defunct" from Hirameki's description. I read through the Aksys "poll" and there was lots of talk about games not being localized due to uncertainty about how it'll fare. The fact that another localizer closed down might spook them, despite the game's popularity.
Will do. You're right, it's for the best.
Old 2011-02-22, 12:29   Link #1332
4as
ForUs

Send a message via MSN to 4as
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarem View Post
[...]the Infinity series is one of the most popular Visual Novel series of all time, both in Japan and in English speaking circles. Ever17 is the most[...]
I think you might trying using different word. (I mean, 'most' this, 'most' that - IMO would look neater with different wording)

Other than that (and few notes other posted before me) looks pretty much perfect to me.
You probably can leave the title as it is. With "from the creator of 999" and poll icon, the thread will most likely gather enough interest even without noting whats the poll about.
4as is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-22, 16:48   Link #1333
winkel

I agree that the title candidate is perfect as is. The Poll Icon will indicate to people there's a poll inside. Also agree with removing any references to Hirameki.

As for the Yes option, maybe make it more enthusiastic? Like, "Yes, please!"

As for 4as' suggestion... how about:
Quote:
the Infinity series is regarded as one of the greatest Visual Novel series of all time, both in Japan and in English speaking circles. And Ever17 is the most popular title in this series
winkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-23, 04:24   Link #1334
Polarem
Dango Digitizer

Oookay, I'm having trouble logging into Aksys... it tells me each time (tried across all of Firefox 4, Chrome 10 AND IE 9):
"ERROR: Incorrect password. Lost your password?
ERROR: Cookies are blocked or not supported by your browser. You must enable cookies to use WordPress."

I copy+pasted the password they sent me straight in my email, and I have enabled cookies.

Anyone else having the same trouble?
Old 2011-02-23, 04:32   Link #1335
Polarem
Dango Digitizer

Looks like we weren't the only ones with this sort of idea! http://www.aksysgames.com/forums/topic/921
Old 2011-02-23, 08:18   Link #1336
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

I'm in. What do I do next?
Old 2011-02-23, 08:58   Link #1337
Polarem
Dango Digitizer

Ok, click on the "quote" button under the post candidate, copy the body's text+code, paste it into a new poll thread at Aksys, incorporate the final suggestions, preview the post to make sure everything looks like it's meant to, and submit.

What browser are you using? I'm still locked out, and it says I'm not allowed to change my password... this is not good!
Old 2011-02-23, 09:06   Link #1338
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

How do I copy a code? I'm also having trouble figuring out the poll part.

I'm using IE, BTW, though what version I'm not sure.

EDIT: Figured it out.

Last edited by GundamAce; 2011-02-23 at 09:18.
Old 2011-02-23, 09:24   Link #1339
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

Done. I'll entrust an admin to add a poll.
Old 2011-02-23, 09:42   Link #1340
Polarem
Dango Digitizer

Great! Hmm... IIRC some forums don't allow newly-registered people to make polls...

Now for people to join in the noise-making. I'll join in once I get my account sorted out. I have a feeling it's not my browser.

Tags
visual novel