AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2007-07-24, 22:50   Link #701
iXenomorph
Anime Addicted

Send a message via MSN to iXenomorph
I have just finished but i still lack....

The divine moment of realization and understanding that I was expecting at the end of ep 14..

So why were they broadcast that way? I still have no clue. Am I bakka or something..
Old 2007-07-24, 23:50   Link #702
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Well, the climax of the whole series is pretty much episode 6 chronologically. Every episode after that is more or less just filler. If the series were to be broadcast in chronological order, it'd hit the climax way too soon and then become rather anti-climatic afterwards. By rearranging the order of the episodes, Kyoto Animation was able to turn a front-heavy story into one with a natural crescendo and climax at the end. Most people seem to think it works better that way.

There are a bunch of other nuiance reasons why broadcast order actually makes sense in the grand scheme of things, but I won't go into it...
Mirrinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-25, 13:02   Link #703
Xiaolang

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
Well, the climax of the whole series is pretty much episode 6 chronologically. Every episode after that is more or less just filler. If the series were to be broadcast in chronological order, it'd hit the climax way too soon and then become rather anti-climatic afterwards. By rearranging the order of the episodes, Kyoto Animation was able to turn a front-heavy story into one with a natural crescendo and climax at the end. Most people seem to think it works better that way.

There are a bunch of other nuiance reasons why broadcast order actually makes sense in the grand scheme of things, but I won't go into it...
Warning: The following is a bit of a rant, that you probably read many times before from other users. Stop now if you don't want to read it. Thanks.

Call me hard-headed and stubborn but, I really wished they kept it in broadcast/anachronological order. The original broadcast order of the series reminded me of Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five or Toni Morrison's Beloved, in which the story is all jumbled up like a stream of consciousness, only to make sense near the end of the story which coincides with the story's climax.

Also, since the title of the story is "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya", it also makes perfect sense that the last episode be the last chapter of the novel with the same name, since the other episodes are not part of the first novel. While, yes, Bandai USA did include the Japanese broadcast order, you'd still have to buy the limited edition DVD, which shouldn't really add to the cost of the price.

I totally disagree with reviews on the Interwebs saying that the broadcast order is non-essential. Quite frankly, if you can't follow the story just because the order is a bit jumbled up, you really should also give up on reading novels or watch movies or shows that does a similar fashion. I thought, for an anime series, it really is refreshing to watch something that has "out-of-the-box" kind of thinking.
Xiaolang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-25, 17:38   Link #704
HashiriyaR32
GT-R Fanatic

I actually watched the series in chronological order, since watching it broadcast order would only lead to my head spinning.
Old 2007-07-26, 02:32   Link #705
iXenomorph
Anime Addicted

Send a message via MSN to iXenomorph
Quote:

so, you're saying that because they found major lack of climax towards end, they broadcast in this order? The script was not intentionally written like this? I see this is a clever way to solve a problem, but why didn't they just script it better....would have saved alot of rotations of my head.
Old 2007-07-26, 19:53   Link #706
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by iXenomorph View Post
so, you're saying that because they found major lack of climax towards end, they broadcast in this order? The script was not intentionally written like this? I see this is a clever way to solve a problem, but why didn't they just script it better....would have saved alot of rotations of my head.
It's based off of a novel series, so it was already "scripted" several years ago. Kyoto Animation merely adapted it, and changed what was originally a weakness in the source material into a unique aspect of the show.

The original novel series has the major climax in the very first volume. The next 2 volumes were more like side stories, which weren't really "epic" material. The 4th volume, which has yet to be animated, contains the next major plot-heavy story. Most people speculate that this 4th volume will be the centerpiece of the second season.
Old 2007-07-27, 11:22   Link #707
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Who's the strongest among them?

Since Haruhi is a god in their world. Who's 2nd strongest to her in terms or powers.

I want to go for Nagato Yuki...but Itsuki seems powerful too, but he's gay.
Old 2007-07-27, 15:32   Link #708
passenger

anime wise haruhi is unrivaled but in the later volumes of the novel i believe she is not the strongest.
Old 2007-07-27, 18:52   Link #709
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Yuki can arguably be stronger than Haruhi simply because she's capable of consciously using her powers. Haruhi's strength, while nigh-infinite, is wild and chaotic, while Yuki's is of pinpoint precision. Even if you think Haruhi is stronger, I think it's been pretty clear so far that Yuki is at least second. Itsuki hasn't really demonstrated himself to be anywhere near Yuki's level, although you never know what he could accomplish if he decides to bring in the entire Organization...

Spoiler for later novels, particularly 4 and 7:
Old 2007-07-29, 16:20   Link #710
jaziek
Does an elope taste good?

Yuki gets nerfed?! damn! If they swap a bit of the power for a bit of emotion its totally worth it.. but still ... couldnt they just kill off Itsuki or something..
Old 2007-07-31, 20:07   Link #711
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Well, it's most likely that Tanigawa-sensei didn't expect to continue the story beyond Melancholy when he first wrote it, so Yuki's vaguely defined, incredibly powerful abilities had to be re-evaluated as the story continues. I thought it turned out very well, though.
Old 2007-07-31, 21:48   Link #712
Robotnik
Not a member

Yuki's role and powers are probably reflective of her popularity with the monthly magazine readers; remember, these novels are serialized in a magazine before being collected in book format, and those readers get to fill out those little survey cards about what they liked and what they want to see more of.
Robotnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-08, 17:33   Link #713
Atheuz

Quote:
Yuki can arguably be stronger than Haruhi simply because she's capable of consciously using her powers. Haruhi's strength, while nigh-infinite, is wild and chaotic, while Yuki's is of pinpoint precision. Even if you think Haruhi is stronger, I think it's been pretty clear so far that Yuki is at least second. Itsuki hasn't really demonstrated himself to be anywhere near Yuki's level, although you never know what he could accomplish if he decides to bring in the entire Organization...
I disagree, didn't they(Yuki, Mikuru and Itsuki) say several times they only actually exist because Haruhi Suzumiya wants them to exist? While Haruhi's powers are wild and uncontrollable, she has some control over them with her emotions - i.e if she ever got into a situation she DIDN'T want to be in she would automatically be removed from it or she could wish that the person would dematerialize/disappear and it would happen - But I guess it's arguable whether or not that can be classified as power if you don't realize you have it...

Anyway to my question: Why is the anime set up anachronically? It makes no sense watching it in the original order and I just decided to watch it chronically.
Atheuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-08, 17:50   Link #714
HashiriyaR32
GT-R Fanatic

When watched chronologically, the climax comes barely halfway through the series and it loses some of its dramatic effect afterward.
Old 2007-08-08, 17:59   Link #715
Atheuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HashiriyaGDB View Post
When watched chronologically, the climax comes barely halfway through the series and it loses some of its dramatic effect afterward.
I actually don't mind having the climax at episode 4, I believe it was, it's only 14 episodes afterall. Also it makes a lot more sense when watching it chronologically. I guess I'm just a person who likes his animes to have a sense of progress and not have them jump around from story to story.
Old 2007-08-08, 19:12   Link #716
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atheuz View Post
I disagree, didn't they(Yuki, Mikuru and Itsuki) say several times they only actually exist because Haruhi Suzumiya wants them to exist? While Haruhi's powers are wild and uncontrollable, she has some control over them with her emotions - i.e if she ever got into a situation she DIDN'T want to be in she would automatically be removed from it or she could wish that the person would dematerialize/disappear and it would happen - But I guess it's arguable whether or not that can be classified as power if you don't realize you have it...
After reading the 4th novel...I'm just going to have to say that I don't think that's how Haruhi's powers work exactly. Actually, it's more like: what if she weren't even aware that she shouldn't want to be in such a situation? It's pretty complicated, though.
Old 2007-08-08, 20:18   Link #717
Atheuz

Quote:
After reading the 4th novel...I'm just going to have to say that I don't think that's how Haruhi's powers work exactly. Actually, it's more like: what if she weren't even aware that she shouldn't want to be in such a situation? It's pretty complicated, though.
I'm just basing this on anime knowledge, I have no way of getting the novels unless you could redirect me to them;

Spoiler:
Old 2007-08-08, 22:05   Link #718
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Quote:
I'm just basing this on anime knowledge, I have no way of getting the novels unless you could redirect me to them;

Spoiler:
Oh, you're absolutely correct on those grounds. What I was trying to say is actually much less complicated than how you've interpreted it. Those who've read the 4th novel would know what I mean, though. If you're curious, you can read the translations of the Haruhi novels at Baka-Tsuki. I don't dare explicitly state what I mean, though, because even if I coat it in lots of spoiler tags, I'm sure someone would click on it and blame me for ruining the plot of the second season. My apologies. ^_^
Old 2007-08-09, 06:36   Link #719
Atheuz

Quote:
Oh, you're absolutely correct on those grounds. What I was trying to say is actually much less complicated than how you've interpreted it. Those who've read the 4th novel would know what I mean, though. If you're curious, you can read the translations of the Haruhi novels at Baka-Tsuki. I don't dare explicitly state what I mean, though, because even if I coat it in lots of spoiler tags, I'm sure someone would click on it and blame me for ruining the plot of the second season. My apologies. ^_^
I found it already thanks to "random_passerby". Gonna read it soon!
Old 2007-08-09, 10:07   Link #720
HashiriyaR32
GT-R Fanatic

Quote:
I actually don't mind having the climax at episode 4, I believe it was, it's only 14 episodes afterall. Also it makes a lot more sense when watching it chronologically. I guess I'm just a person who likes his animes to have a sense of progress and not have them jump around from story to story.
Same here.