AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2009-12-20, 12:30   Link #1441
keri
ねぇ、知ってる?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roankun View Post
umm.. does that mean he's second year? or only second years above can be president? And does that mean the subs were wrong?

and... another question. how old is kyon's sister? seven?
The other time I've seen/heard reference to that kind of blues, it was called "May sickness" or something like that. Possibly in a Zetsubou Sensei chapter/episode? But I was under the impression that it could apply to everyone and generally settled in shortly after Golden Week. I assumed that was what was meant by "freshman blues".

Unless my memory is completely off (and it very well could be ) Kyon's sister has her birthday sometime in the winter - she's ten in the first few novels, but gets upgraded to eleven in the latest ones. Or else that's just part of the switch from "three years ago" to "four years ago", I dunno.
keri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-31, 01:30   Link #1442
Panic

What happened to the second season?
Did it stop at episode 15 or is it stalled?
Panic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-31, 02:39   Link #1443
WordShaker
In scientific terms only.

Send a message via MSN to WordShaker
Well, first off, it wasn't really a second season per se. Officially, we'll just call it the 2009 Re-Launch of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Quite the mouthful, though.

Secondly, yeah, it's over with. After Sighs Part 5, they continued broadcasting the rest of the re-launch, those being the old 2006 episodes. There is the Disappearance movie to look forward to, though, so keep your eyes peeled for news on that.
WordShaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-31, 22:11   Link #1444
Panic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassupimviet View Post
Well, first off, it wasn't really a second season per se. Officially, we'll just call it the 2009 Re-Launch of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Quite the mouthful, though.

Secondly, yeah, it's over with. After Sighs Part 5, they continued broadcasting the rest of the re-launch, those being the old 2006 episodes. There is the Disappearance movie to look forward to, though, so keep your eyes peeled for news on that.
Oh, alright. Thanks! So basically 2009 Re-Launch of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is TMoHS rearranged in chronological order?
Panic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-31, 22:30   Link #1445
WordShaker
In scientific terms only.

Send a message via MSN to WordShaker
Right, with the new episodes inserted in at the appropriate points.
WordShaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-08, 10:16   Link #1446
roankun
Tsundere Lover

Send a message via Skype™ to roankun
when's haruhi's birthday? i mean, the novels take about two year right? they must have celebrated the brigade members' (plural) birthdays some time or another.
roankun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-08, 10:25   Link #1447
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax Send a message via Skype™ to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by roankun View Post
when's haruhi's birthday? i mean, the novels take about two year right? they must have celebrated the brigade members' (plural) birthdays some time or another.
The only thing that is confirmed about birthdays that I remember off hand is that July 7th is not Haruhi's, Mikuru's, or Kyon's birthday. Surprisingly, nothing has been said in any of the 9 novels (that cover April of 1st year to April of 2nd year) about the birthdays other than that segment in the beginning of Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody to my recollection.
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-08, 18:42   Link #1448
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes Send a message via Skype™ to dragon4dudes
And not Yuki's and Itsuki's birthdays I believe. I could be wayyyyyy off though.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
dragon4dudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-08, 18:43   Link #1449
keri
ねぇ、知ってる?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
The only thing that is confirmed about birthdays that I remember off hand is that July 7th is not Haruhi's, Mikuru's, or Kyon's birthday. Surprisingly, nothing has been said in any of the 9 novels (that cover April of 1st year to April of 2nd year) about the birthdays other than that segment in the beginning of Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody to my recollection.
For some reason, though, I'm under the impression that Kyon's sister has her 11th birthday sometime between the beginning of Disappearance and the beginning of Intrigues. But I don't know if that's related to the shift from "three years ago" to "four years ago" or not. :/ And it's not like her birthday is particularly important or anything.
Old 2010-01-08, 19:21   Link #1450
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax Send a message via Skype™ to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon4dudes View Post
And not Yuki's and Itsuki's birthdays I believe. I could be wayyyyyy off though.
You're close. Haruhi does say "How would I know when their birthdays are?" for those two. That wouldn't be enough evidence either way to say if it is or not. I would think that if it were one of their birthdays, it may be added into the story. Likely July 7th is none of the SOS Brigade members' birthdays, though Yuki and Koizumi may indeed have it on that day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keri View Post
For some reason, though, I'm under the impression that Kyon's sister has her 11th birthday sometime between the beginning of Disappearance and the beginning of Intrigues. But I don't know if that's related to the shift from "three years ago" to "four years ago" or not. :/ And it's not like her birthday is particularly important or anything.
I just re-read the three stories between that and the only comment I could find on her age was that she was 11 at the beginning of Charmed at First Sight LOVER. I do remember reading "almost-twelve" sometime in the novels, but a quick search of the novels didn't show up anything.
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-08, 22:38   Link #1451
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes Send a message via Skype™ to dragon4dudes
Actually, would Yuki have a "birthday"? Yeah, she needs one to enter school or something but would her birthday be the same day that 3ya thing occurred or would it be considered as the day she put into the database, assuming it is not the same day as the 3ya thing?

That may have been one of the most convoluted things I have ever written.

Old 2010-01-09, 00:26   Link #1452
typhonsentra

I always found it interesting that Kyon never shares with us the stories of all their birthdays. Perhaps they just don't tell each other and they never bother but that seems odd considering how much time they all spend together and the fact that they celebrate holidays together all the time. Maybe it's different in Japan, and school friends aren't expected to give gifts or throw a party?
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-09, 09:15   Link #1453
keri
ねぇ、知ってる?

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
I always found it interesting that Kyon never shares with us the stories of all their birthdays. Perhaps they just don't tell each other and they never bother but that seems odd considering how much time they all spend together and the fact that they celebrate holidays together all the time. Maybe it's different in Japan, and school friends aren't expected to give gifts or throw a party?
Maybe their birthdays are all in April and May, before the SOS Brigade was founded, but after the start of the school year? That would explain why we haven't heard a peep, since volume 9 doesn't entirely overlap those months yet.
Old 2010-01-18, 01:05   Link #1454
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

Send a message via MSN to AmyElizzabeth
Or maybe Haruhi doesn't believe in Birthdays
No I'm totally kidding.
Do we even know their ages? Isn't Yuki technically, like, 4?
AmyElizzabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 01:15   Link #1455
Kogetsu Shirogane
Crackshipper

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
That largely depends on if you count the roughly 600 years of summer she experienced.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... well at least it's consistent...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 01:19   Link #1456
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyElizzabeth View Post
Or maybe Haruhi doesn't believe in Birthdays
No I'm totally kidding.
Do we even know their ages? Isn't Yuki technically, like, 4?
Haruhi, Kyon and Itsuki are probably 15 or 16 years old. Yuki is, indeed, 3(first novel)/4(9th novel) years old. Mikuru's is unknow. It is unlikely she is much older then that, seeing she will still grow up more, but we dan't know if the physiology of people from future is different.

Yuki's birthday is probably the same day, or a few days after, the day Haruhi created data. This was probably the day she went to that baseball game, but we can't be sure.

PP:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
That largely depends on if you count the roughly 600 years of summer she experienced.
Also, technically, everyworld may be also 600+ years old.

Speaking on that, it probably don't make much difference, but was the Endless Eight a time loop or a memory loop? I mean, can Haruhi travel in time? Or she just bended the world to look like it was a time loop?
Heatth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 16:08   Link #1457
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

Well even more technically, someone born before the E8 fiasco would be 600+ older than someone born during E8 because they technically stopped existing. or something. I lost my train of thought.

Old 2010-01-18, 16:25   Link #1458
Kogetsu Shirogane
Crackshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post
Also, technically, everyworld may be also 600+ years old.
The difference being that Nagato(and presumably any other Interface) actually remembers every single one of those loops. At most, there's a sense of deja vu for anyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post
Speaking on that, it probably don't make much difference, but was the Endless Eight a time loop or a memory loop? I mean, can Haruhi travel in time? Or she just bended the world to look like it was a time loop?
Mikuru couldn't leave the 15-day period. Unless Haruhi knows she's a time traveler and prevented her from doing so, that's more than enough evidence that it was an actual time loop.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
Old 2010-01-18, 16:38   Link #1459
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
The difference being that Nagato(and presumably any other Interface) actually remembers every single one of those loops. At most, there's a sense of deja vu for anyone else.
Actually, I am pretty sure only the ones close to Haruhi felt it. Actually, just Itsuki and Kyon. Even Mikuru seemed clueless until trying to contact her superiors and never mentioned the deja vu.

Quote:
Mikuru couldn't leave the 15-day period. Unless Haruhi knows she's a time traveler and prevented her from doing so, that's more than enough evidence that it was an actual time loop.
Eh, I don't see the relation. First of all, Haruhi don't need to know anything to make it happen. You could also say Haruhi just isoled that 15-days from time, thus impeding Mikuru to go away, or even contact her future. Actually, I think it is the most probable explanation, if it was a time loop, Mikuru should be able to get away, even if by going to the past (I don't know if she tryed that, tough).
Heatth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 16:59   Link #1460
Kogetsu Shirogane
Crackshipper

If Haruhi knew Mikuru was a time traveler, she could easily prevent her from leaving or contacting the future she's from. Since she doesn't, the fact that Mikuru is cut off from the point in time she's from is evidence that they really are removed from history.