AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2006-09-10, 22:18   Link #341
Rin-Sama
Banned

Sorry i ment JUNE 2007 (JAN JUN look alike)

it should be on the Viz web site somewhere.

(don't have time to look as i am going to bed now.....)
Rin-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-10, 22:22   Link #342
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

If that's true, I'm somewhat irritated. I found the manga to be a bit blah (read: suxx0rz). We want the novels, not the manga
Old 2006-09-11, 00:45   Link #343
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm hoping that Tokyopop's new "light novel" group or a competitor will license the light novels. I've also heard the manga is a bit boring

But everyone please try to avoid posting rumor and gossip on any of animesuki forums.... provide links and references. There are plenty of moronic forums out there that waste everyone's time with crap that turns out to be untrue.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-11, 00:55   Link #344
hirone
SOS ni Youkoso!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
But everyone please try to avoid posting rumor and gossip on any of animesuki forums.... provide links and references. There are plenty of moronic forums out there that waste everyone's time with crap that turns out to be untrue.
haha that's what usually turns me off on joining forums and trusting them, but this one's all good to go so far

Anyways speaking about the light novel group from Tokyopop, I read one of their released novels from the .hack series, it's actually pretty good considering I'm not a .hack fan, but reading that, I feel it wouldn't be so bad if Tokyopop did their take on the novel translation. Leaving it at that, what other groups actually do novels?

ver 2.1- optimized quality
credit to CrowKenobi for original work.
hirone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-11, 21:11   Link #345
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin-Sama
Sorry i ment JUNE 2007 (JAN JUN look alike)

it should be on the Viz web site somewhere.

(don't have time to look as i am going to bed now.....)

oh is it true that they're considering bringing in the manga and novels of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya?? or is it just the manga??
anyways, i found that novels are somewhat becoming more popular these days. I guess its because when people read novels, it tend to make the reader visualize in the mind on how the characters look like and what they are doing...i see alot of fullmetal alchemist, .hack//, and now love hina novels....
Old 2006-09-11, 21:17   Link #346
CrowKenobi

Thumbs up

For us members who live in the USA and would like to order some of the great stuff we have seen in this thread, try looking at animenation.com, where after putting 'Haruhi Suzumiya' in the search box reveals (among other things):

The Suzumiya Haruhi Official Fan Book for $25.95!

The MIKURU BUNNYGIRL STATUE for $74.99!! red and black preorder cut-off for red is 9/28/06 and the black cut-off is 10/01/06!!

and if you want the October Megami or June Newtype magazines you can get each for $9.95!!

Disclaimer: I don't have anything to do with this site, I just thought I'd share what I'd found after I did the search.

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2006-09-12 at 07:31. Reason: Adjusted my post to sound less like an advertisment.
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-12, 00:03   Link #347
moyism
Wannabe Smut Writer

About the same (maybe a little more expensive) than getting it from hlj.com: red or black *shrugs*
moyism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-12, 04:19   Link #348
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyism
About the same (maybe a little more expensive) than getting it from hlj.com: red or black *shrugs*
Well, that and, for some odd reason, they have the release as February 2007, whereas HLJ have it in November. Kind of a key point... The fanbook they have at over double the Japanese MSRP (but I guess you can balance that with the fact that it seems sold out in many Japanese stores). I'd also be curious to know why they only have those particular issues of Megami and Newtype, and no others... But, in any case, if you live in the U.S., the cheaper shipping could make it worth your while (though that release date question should really be settled).

That being said, isn't there a rule against this sort of thing?
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-12, 07:20   Link #349
CrowKenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame
Well, that and, for some odd reason, they have the release as February 2007, whereas HLJ have it in November. Kind of a key point... The fanbook they have at over double the Japanese MSRP (but I guess you can balance that with the fact that it seems sold out in many Japanese stores). I'd also be curious to know why they only have those particular issues of Megami and Newtype, and no others... But, in any case, if you live in the U.S., the cheaper shipping could make it worth your while (though that release date question should really be settled).

That being said, isn't there a rule against this sort of thing?
Yes, but since my post is on topic and I don't have anything to do with that site (I only found that stuff yesterday), I thought I'd share what I'd found and quite possibly give hope to those of us who for one reason or another, can't or won't make an overseas order.

CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-12, 14:10   Link #350
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi
Yes, but since my post is on topic and I don't have anything to do with that site (I only found that stuff yesterday), I thought I'd share what I'd found and quite possibly give hope to those of us who for one reason or another, can't or won't make an overseas order.
Ah okay - that's cool. Just the tone of the message sounded like you might work for them. It is another option - if I lived in the U.S., I'd probably consider it myself, because I despise dealing with customs and duty.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-12, 15:06   Link #351
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
I'm hoping that Tokyopop's new "light novel" group or a competitor will license the light novels. I've also heard the manga is a bit boring

I was utterly unable to find a link to any of this anywhere on Viz's site. I think maybe it's a mix up as the Shakugan no Shana novel volume 1 comes out in January. Not only that, I routinely spam the people at Viz and Tokyopop with a list of the novels I'd like to see licensed and translated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirone
Anyways speaking about the light novel group from Tokyopop, I read one of their released novels from the .hack series, it's actually pretty good considering I'm not a .hack fan, but reading that, I feel it wouldn't be so bad if Tokyopop did their take on the novel translation. Leaving it at that, what other groups actually do novels?
Viz is actually doing novels now too - they've so far released the novelizations of Fullmetal Alchemist and are going to be releasing Shakugan no Shana in both manga and (the original) novel format. So far neither company seems to be doing anything unless they have the manga license already, so any indication the manga has been licensed is probably A Good Thing (tm).
rooboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-12, 16:51   Link #352
hirone
SOS ni Youkoso!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy666
Viz is actually doing novels now too - they've so far released the novelizations of Fullmetal Alchemist and are going to be releasing Shakugan no Shana in both manga and (the original) novel format. So far neither company seems to be doing anything unless they have the manga license already, so any indication the manga has been licensed is probably A Good Thing (tm).
Oh yeah I saw Viz's announcement at Comic-Con about SnS's license. I remember now. So now it's down between them two, huh? All I'm looking for in the novels is a decent translation (BakaTsuki's pretty good) and dedicated release dates. None of that once-a-month-then-ignore-for-a-year crap.

Old 2006-09-12, 17:08   Link #353
Kikaifan
Blazing General

Sorry for off-topic, but FMA has novelizations? The manga is the original material, right?
Kikaifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-12, 18:53   Link #354
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikaifan
Sorry for off-topic, but FMA has novelizations? The manga is the original material, right?
The manga is the original material, but I believe the novels are (like most novelizations of manga properties) completely different stories - not retellings of the manga. This is different than mangas that are made out of novels which generally try to retell the story that's in the novel (and usually fail from what I've seen).
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirone
Oh yeah I saw Viz's announcement at Comic-Con about SnS's license. I remember now. So now it's down between them two, huh? All I'm looking for in the novels is a decent translation (BakaTsuki's pretty good) and dedicated release dates. None of that once-a-month-then-ignore-for-a-year crap.
I expect if it follows the standard Viz release procedure there'll be one new novel every four months until they catch up. Generally Viz goes once every two months for manga that is released weekly, and once every four months for stuff that's released monthly - though there are titles that go the opposite way.

Tokyopop releases their novels on a normal manga schedule as well.

Del Ray also has the Basilisk novel that they'll be releasing - but I'm pretty sure Suzumiya Haruhi is not a Kodansha work, so the chances of Del Ray licensing it are rather slim.

Last edited by rooboy; 2006-09-12 at 21:54.
Old 2006-09-12, 19:37   Link #355
hirone
SOS ni Youkoso!?

Going at that rate, I guess we can't be much in a rush to wait for the licensed releases huh? sigh. *goes back to BakaTsuki to read rest of the series*

Old 2006-09-12, 21:48   Link #356
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy666
The manga is the original material, but I believe the novels are (like most novelizations of manga properties) completely different stories - not retellings of the manga. This is different than mangas that are made out of novels (at least, the ones I've seen) which generally try to retell the story that's in the novel (and usually fail from what I've seen).
Actually, the original source materials for FMP! are novels.

Click Here to Learn More
Old 2006-09-12, 22:00   Link #357
rooboy
Umeboshi!

I'm not really sure what you're referring to - I didn't say anything about FMP at all. All I said was that if the manga was the original source they usually tell original stories (as is the case with FMA, not FMP); however, if the novel was the original source, the manga usually re-tells the story. This would cover FMP (though I haven't actually read the FMP novels) and Suzumiya Haruhi (to keep me on-topic ). I can't really speak to FMP - I have all nine volumes of the manga and all five volumes of Overload, but I've only read Overload - nor have I read any of the books (I think I own up to DVMC - though I might have missed a couple of the short story ones) - it's one of those things I keep meaning to get around to and don't.

However, thank you for pointing out that I half-edited that sentence. Now I've corrected it.

EDIT: Apparently Seven Seas has started a light novel imprint. Doesn't really seem like a Seven Seas type of story, but an email or two never hurt me before.

Last edited by rooboy; 2006-09-13 at 08:38.
Old 2006-09-15, 22:01   Link #358
Renge
smile

She looks better in this cool
Renge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-20, 14:15   Link #359
Noppapana
> Haruhiist <

Send a message via MSN to Noppapana
the new Radio Shibu is going to be released 21 september according to this link http://aaa.avex.jp/chihara/discography/index.html

the cover : (lookin cute as always )

Credits to Pellissier for the sig
Noppapana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-20, 14:34   Link #360
Rin-Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renge

She looks better in this cool
She looks good in just aobut anything! especally NOTHING!
Rin-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote