AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2007-03-11, 09:24   Link #1061
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by X207 View Post
so are the 8 books in chronological order?
Not always.

There are alluded past events in earlier volumes that will either not occur or be fully explained until later volumes.

However... it is slightly more complicated than that, since time-travelling is also involved, so future events actually happen in the past( if you catch my drift).

Cheers.
Old 2007-03-11, 09:27   Link #1062
X207
Gamyūsa

my plan is to read 1st book thens 2nd, then 3rd so on and so forth. this wont provide toomuch confusion? already at vol2 ch2
Old 2007-03-11, 09:49   Link #1063
Skane
Anime Snark

Talking

Quote:
my plan is to read 1st book thens 2nd, then 3rd so on and so forth. this wont provide toomuch confusion? already at vol2 ch2
No. One good thing about the Novels is that they carefully guide you as you read, so as to prevent cases of "What, Who, When & Where". Just think of it as explicit foreshadowing. You know it is going to happen. You just don't know how it is going to happen.
~~~~ ~~~~

Vol 7: Chap 2
Spoiler:

Cheers.
Old 2007-03-11, 10:09   Link #1064
Archaic

Send a message via AIM to Archaic Send a message via MSN to Archaic Send a message via Skype™ to Archaic
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneDragon View Post
How can there be spoilers for volume 9 already?
True or not, please be a little more descriptive with your spoiler tags when discussing stuff that hasn't been translated yet (or even released yet lol).
IIRC, from what I read, the chapters have already been published as serials in The Sneaker, and this is simply the collected volume of those.
Old 2007-03-11, 10:28   Link #1065
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Vol 7 Chap 5
Spoiler:

ADD] Vol 07 Chap 5
Spoiler:

Cheers.

Last edited by Skane; 2007-03-11 at 11:00.
Skane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-12, 07:40   Link #1066
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Sorry for the delay, here's the third part in attempting to understand the mind of Nagato Yuki.

Spoiler for Yuki's short piece part 3 analysis:

Of all three short pieces, the third is the most abstract. I'm sure someone else would come up with a better interpretation than mine.

Link to part 1
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...postcount=1044

Part 2
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...postcount=1048

It was fun while it lasted.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-12, 09:24   Link #1067
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

In Reply to Kinny Riddle

Volume 08 Discussion
Spoiler:

Cheers.
Old 2007-03-12, 10:31   Link #1068
CrowKenobi

My take on Yuki's third part:
Spoiler:

CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-12, 18:24   Link #1069
AcroDave
Go Chrome or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyCow View Post
Translation of Volume 8 - Wandering Shadow is (finally) complete. Now all that's left is the remaining 15% of Editor in Chief. After that, translation of all 8 Suzumiya Haruhi volumes will have been completed.
Thanks again for the flurry of translating last week! A great way to start the day: bagel, coffee, and a new page of Wandering Shadow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyCow View Post
The 8th novel ends nicely IMO, right at the end of the first school year. The next time we translate Volume 9, the story will be set at beginning of the 2nd school year ;P
Totally agree. Chap.8 was not very exciting, but I think it's a nice wrap-up. Kyon passed all his tests (with Haruhi's help!), the gang is just about to begin their 2nd year (so maybe Yuki & Koizumi will be in the same class as Kyon & Haruhi), and we get a couple "adventures of the SOS brigade"-style stories. However the author does a great job instilling a sense of foreboding. Like everything is fine right now, but there's some big trouble brewing in the shadows. I have high hopes for some major plot advancement in vols 9 & 10, since he's expertly put all the pieces are in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Nagato displayed a light smile. I really wanted to see it again. I really hoped I could.
He sure loves to torture us with hints of Nakato+emotions (hope we don't have to wait much longer). PS: interesting speculation on Yuki's story. Unfortunately, I think it's just too vague to really draw any conclusions from.
AcroDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-13, 23:37   Link #1070
PastPrime

I had a couple of thoughts after reading Volume 8.
Spoiler:

Lucy & Nyu, reincarnated as diclonius twins.
PastPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-14, 01:28   Link #1071
quigonkenny
WRYYYYY!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastPrime View Post
I had a couple of thoughts after reading Volume 8.
Spoiler:
Uh, where do you get the idea that either of those two are anything other than what they seem? Besides, if it's as you suggest, Yuki would know it, and wouldn't be as tacit about it as with the other mentioned person.
quigonkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-14, 02:25   Link #1072
Skane
Anime Snark

Talking

Volume08
Spoiler:
ADD]
Spoiler:
This one made me laugh.

Cheers.
Old 2007-03-14, 05:38   Link #1073
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastPrime View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
"That was actually quite thought-provoking. Does that violate the forum rules?"
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-14, 05:52   Link #1074
Skane
Anime Snark

Question: Has there been a chapter where they went into detail on the school's sports festival where Haruhi and Yuki ran in the marathon? It has been bugging me since there has been at least two references to it, and I can't recall if it has been covered yet or not.

Cheers.
Old 2007-03-14, 06:19   Link #1075
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Question: Has there been a chapter where they went into detail on the school's sports festival where Haruhi and Yuki ran in the marathon? It has been bugging me since there has been at least two references to it, and I can't recall if it has been covered yet or not.

Cheers.
No details, I think. Just a brief brush-by from Kyon at the start of Volume 2 Chapter 1. Some of that is visualised in one of the Haruhi calendar picture of the victory in the relay race, but that's it. Since there really wasn't much to talk about in the end, I doubt there is anything to cover. Yuki won the race for them, that's really all there is to it.

The thing with entertainment mediums, is that a peaceful trouble-free sports festival is much more fun to portray in an anime than in a novel.
Old 2007-03-14, 09:41   Link #1076
PastPrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkellis View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Lucy & Nyu, reincarnated as diclonius twins.
PastPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-14, 12:54   Link #1077
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Since Skane is so busy tracing for Yuki-isms everywhere, I might as help him well quote some of the stuff I translated meself.

Spoiler for Vol 7 Epilogue:

Yuki's way of getting embarrassed overshoots the brain's capacity to contain moe that cells begin to melt. Kyon has gone from being "observed" to being an "observer" himself - to the point of being voyeuristic that he doesn't even realize it himself. lol

It was fun while it lasted.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-14, 17:00   Link #1078
X207
Gamyūsa

i read here that they met a slider in the book series. which volume might this be in?
Old 2007-03-14, 17:07   Link #1079
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
i read here that they met a slider in the book series. which volume might this be in?
There's a or floating about that one or both of the next two volumes contain a slider. Since everyone's been looking for the slider for so long, I'd say that this is a pretty easy thing to think up and spread around, but I'm not completely disregarding it.
Old 2007-03-14, 20:40   Link #1080
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

I believe that Kyon has it right when he said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyon
For some reason, I suddenly recalled that incident where Asahina-san and I were shouted at by some stranger from behind. It didn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that he had been monitoring us for some time then, and upon thinking about this, my glass of milkshake seemed to abruptly turn into a glass of black coffee. Just you wait, you sneering bastard! The next time I see you, I’ll bring you straight to Nagato or Haruhi, and let you feel their wrath!
Kyon demonstrates a lot of restraint and maturity in how he approaches this issue, given the considerable amount of doubt and having been taunted.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote