AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-12-25, 18:18   Link #1161
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Near Cincinnati, OH, but actually in Kentucky
Age: 26
I just read the prologue.

I like what you've done here. Keep up the good work
__________________
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-26, 01:00   Link #1162
Jintor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Land Down Under
Age: 22
Rest of the first chapter is up as well.

http://lumbargo.googlepages.com/them...suzumiyaharuhi

I'm gonna go take a break for a while. My head is smarting.
Jintor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-26, 03:10   Link #1163
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintor View Post
Rest of the first chapter is up as well.

http://lumbargo.googlepages.com/them...suzumiyaharuhi

I'm gonna go take a break for a while. My head is smarting.
Just thought I'd mention that your translation of his comments on the millennium is kinda incorrect, or needs work...
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-26, 07:42   Link #1164
Jintor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Land Down Under
Age: 22
The bit in the prologue?
Jintor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-26, 13:00   Link #1165
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintor View Post
The bit in the prologue?
Yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baka-Tsuki
Nothing happened in 1999, even though I kept hoping, just a bit, that something would; mankind hadn't returned to the moon or gone beyond it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by You
1999 was the last year I had such thoughts, but nothing happened. We had reached the 21st century without humanity making it further than the moon.
Completely different context in your translation here... you're grounding the series in about the year 2000...
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-26, 19:01   Link #1166
Jintor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Land Down Under
Age: 22
...which contradicts with the whole '3-years-ago-incident-was-in-2007' thing. Hmmm.

I'm not quite sure how to translate the paragraph then. The baka-tsuki one doesn't really make sense for me, either.

/EDIT In any case I always took it to mean that Kyon had lost his childhood thoughts about aliens, espers, etc. by around 2000 - the age of, um... 8 or 9? Earlier, maybe...

//EDIT No, Kyon is supposedly around 16 or so. That would have made him six when he would have lost his fantasies, which is possible, but unlikely.

Any suggestions on how to translate it then?

Last edited by Jintor; 2007-12-26 at 19:19.
Jintor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-26, 19:50   Link #1167
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintor View Post
...which contradicts with the whole '3-years-ago-incident-was-in-2007' thing. Hmmm.

I'm not quite sure how to translate the paragraph then. The baka-tsuki one doesn't really make sense for me, either.

/EDIT In any case I always took it to mean that Kyon had lost his childhood thoughts about aliens, espers, etc. by around 2000 - the age of, um... 8 or 9? Earlier, maybe...

//EDIT No, Kyon is supposedly around 16 or so. That would have made him six when he would have lost his fantasies, which is possible, but unlikely.

Any suggestions on how to translate it then?
I think the Baka-Tsuki one is fine.

The meaning I got was that he was thinking maybe something exciting was going to happen around that time, you know, new millennium and all, end of the world kinda thing.

According to the novels, by the way, he lost his fantasies in his last year of middle school, due to the (negative?) influence of a certain girl...
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-26, 20:01   Link #1168
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Near Cincinnati, OH, but actually in Kentucky
Age: 26
Kaisos, you're somehow inferring an implication that is just not there. What you're stating never even crossed my mind.
__________________
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-26, 20:43   Link #1169
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
Kaisos, you're somehow inferring an implication that is just not there. What you're stating never even crossed my mind.
What?

Quote:
Nothing happened in 1999, even though I kept hoping, just a bit, that something would;
You don't think that means that he was hoping something would happen around the year 2000? Because of the new millenium?
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-26, 22:33   Link #1170
Jintor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Land Down Under
Age: 22
He would have been six around then, right? So the Baka-Tsuki one and mine are about the same, then.

I'll reword my editjob, though, just the same.
Jintor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-27, 01:28   Link #1171
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Near Cincinnati, OH, but actually in Kentucky
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
You don't think that means that he was hoping something would happen around the year 2000? Because of the new millenium?
Yeah, that's exactly what it sounds like. That's what it's supposed to sound like.

It does not sound like the story is taking place in 2000, however.
__________________
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-27, 01:30   Link #1172
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
Yeah, that's exactly what it sounds like. That's what it's supposed to sound like.

It does not sound like the story is taking place in 2000, however.
I didn't say that.

I said that his translation made it sound like that.
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-27, 01:42   Link #1173
Jintor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Land Down Under
Age: 22
Ah. then my original translation was right and I just need to re-word this one.

First, I'm gonna finish reading Volume 9 of the Baka-Tsuki translated novels, though. :P
Jintor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-27, 01:52   Link #1174
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintor View Post
Ah. then my original translation was right and I just need to re-word this one.

First, I'm gonna finish reading Volume 9 of the Baka-Tsuki translated novels, though. :P
...I'd wait until someone fixes the grammatical issues in that. The translation is currently terrible.
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-27, 01:55   Link #1175
Jintor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Land Down Under
Age: 22
True, but I'm doing my best to decipher it. :P

Anyway, I changed the millenium thing to:

Quote:
1999 - years ago - was the last time I had such thoughts, but nothing happened. We had reached the 21st century without humanity making it further than the moon.
I think it's a little clunkier now, though.

What's your opinion on the rest of my editjob, though? Should I bother continuing?
Jintor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-27, 01:57   Link #1176
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintor View Post
True, but I'm doing my best to decipher it. :P

Anyway, I changed the millenium thing to:



I think it's a little clunkier now, though.

What's your opinion on the rest of my editjob, though? Should I bother continuing?
...That wasn't the part I meant. I meant the part about "The last time I had such thoughts". That wording would imply that he stopped thinking about aliens when he was 6.

Oh, and sure, go ahead and continue. I'd like to see what you can do.
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-27, 02:05   Link #1177
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Near Cincinnati, OH, but actually in Kentucky
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
I said that his translation made it sound like that.
And I'm saying that it doesn't sound like that. That isn't implied grammatically at all.
Quote:
We had reached the 21st century without humanity making it further than the moon.
The only thing I might suggest is removing the word 'had.'
__________________
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-27, 02:21   Link #1178
Jintor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Land Down Under
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
...That wasn't the part I meant. I meant the part about "The last time I had such thoughts". That wording would imply that he stopped thinking about aliens when he was 6.
I'm not sure that isn't a bad conclusion. Kyon was a pretty damn precocious child. What kind of kid never believed in Santa?
Jintor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-27, 13:50   Link #1179
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintor View Post
I'm not sure that isn't a bad conclusion. Kyon was a pretty damn precocious child. What kind of kid never believed in Santa?
I didn't...

My point is that he introduces that fact to contrast between the fact that he still believed in aliens up until the end of middle school. We know this from later volumes.
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-27, 17:55   Link #1180
Jintor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Land Down Under
Age: 22
/me points a wavering finger at Kaisos and shouts "Precocioussss!"

Hmmmm... both Baka-Tsuki's and Stratos's translation still imply that by 1999 he only had faint hopes. I guess I'll just scale it back so it's not the 'last' time he's had such thoughts.
Jintor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:08.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.