AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2006-04-23, 11:47   Link #101
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun
I don't know how much I can say about this being just a reader, but anyways... I agree with Kenny Riddle: it was arranged between him and TLG that he would translate the first 3 volumes... I don't know what happened to that, but I think he should at least translate the whole volume 1.

just my two cents
It's K-I-N-N-Y, not K-E-N-N-Y.

Spoiler for Translation of Koizumi's group:

It was fun while it lasted.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-23, 11:52   Link #102
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle

Spoiler:

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson
melange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-23, 12:03   Link #103
Adigard

Quote:
Not trying to sound offensive or anything. But once again, to whoever is translating chapter 5, I plead with you to please stop...
The translations are being done by "Freak of Nature"... a name I've never actually seen post in the AS Haruhi Novel Translation threads... it's possible the translator who's posting this chapter is an outsider to this forum who stumbled across the project on his own and decided to take part?
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-23, 12:18   Link #104
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO
??

i was under the impression that a translator will take on one chapter at a time?

I agree having more then one trasnlator doing one chapter is one too many, but surely doing one chapter at a time is ok?

So if another translator gets going on chapter 06 & 07 we will more or less get the volume done?

Or is that a misguided assumption? :/
lastguardian said it before already, while readers can adapt better swithcing volumes, since the editors can then sort that out.

But it'll confuse the readers and the editors as well if there're too many writing styles in the same volume.

So until then, I shall continue with volume 1 at least.

It was fun while it lasted.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-23, 12:43   Link #105
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO Send a message via Skype™ to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adigard
The translations are being done by "Freak of Nature"... a name I've never actually seen post in the AS Haruhi Novel Translation threads... it's possible the translator who's posting this chapter is an outsider to this forum who stumbled across the project on his own and decided to take part?

no. freak of Nature is an known translator of the project. you can see his name on the main page.

while i would not like to give out names, i believe it was a Animesuki user and have also posted in this thread before.

but all is well now, so lets just drop this issue.

As for what you mentioned before kinny, how about...
Spoiler:

Kinny,

Old 2006-04-23, 12:57   Link #106
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Ops, sorry about that

Quote:
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-23, 13:20   Link #107
Psieye
Lore Hunter

Send a message via AIM to Psieye Send a message via MSN to Psieye
As I've just mentioned in the Wiki's discussion page, we just need to set up a "translator's work status" page where it's written who's doing what and how far they've gotten in it. Otherwise you need to ask new translators to read all previous discussion on both the Wiki and here to figure out where they can jump in - inefficient and most won't really know all the places to look.

So, have a page where this "I'm working on this" information is centralised. Then at least people have a common ground when discussing who does what.
Psieye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-23, 13:35   Link #108
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

I kinda do like that idea. open transparency is the best way forwards.

at the moment kinny is determined to do all of volume 01 by him/herself.

but for the other volumes/chapter it is for debate.

I'm still not convinced about "one volume, one translator" idea.

But all i ask for is a good discussion and se the possible solution to it
Old 2006-04-23, 14:18   Link #109
Psieye
Lore Hunter

Aye. We can discuss all we want about how feasible it is for Editors to standardise each different translation style completely (as regardless of how the chapters are translated, the ideal Editing goal is for everything to feel the same after we're finally done) and therefore whether we should have the 'one translator per volume/chapter' rule; but that's after the basics are set up - making our plans and intents clear and easy to read.
Old 2006-04-23, 14:32   Link #110
Adigard

Personally, considering the level of Kinny's contributions in comparision to the contributions of other translators... I'm all for letting Kinny translate as much/and as fast... as he/she likes ^^
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-23, 14:51   Link #111
Thelastguardian

Blah, I can't believe I have to resort to listing again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun
it was arranged between him and TLG that he would translate the first 3 volumes
Originally, I said to Kinny (when we decided to collaborate) is that since he translates fast and I translate slow, I will leave volume 1 to him while I will concentrate my effort on volume 3-4 (probably 4). Other people can still do the inbetween volumes.

2. Given the chaotic matter of "who is translating who", I will set up a "first come first serve" registration page. The page exist to tell others that you are working on a specific chapter at the moment.
I realized that forcing anyone to translate the whole volume just because they want to do a few chapters is unfair to him. Therefore I purpose an amendment: cut the volume in half. Comments?

3. As Kinny Riddle pointed out to me, currently the page/wiki layout is a mess. I purpose the following plan-

Main Page-Discussion-
1. Possible novels to take on
2. Suggestion to BT wiki in general

Suzumiya Haruhi-Discussion-
1. None story line related SH discussion. AKA no spoiler discussion
2. Your rants/cheers to SH novels in general
3. Consultations if you want to/having differculty translate/edit

Individual Chapter-Discussion-
1. Technical terms/External information <=This goes first in every chapter. No exception.
2. Vague/Awkward sounding phrases <=This goes second.
2a. Comments from other translators/editors below each subpoint
3. Comments on that specific chapter. Spoilers for chapters up to that specific chapter are allowed.

Format/Style guideline

I will let GTO takes care of this. Let me say one thing- if you have a good suggestion, go ahead and change the page. Don't forget your name though. We will see if it sound good.

Format/Style guideline-Discussion-
Iron out the specific details of the guideline.

Spoiler for rant on:
Old 2006-04-23, 15:34   Link #112
Cruzz
Europeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelastguardian
Spoiler for rant on:
Spoiler:

Last edited by Cruzz; 2006-04-23 at 15:51.
Cruzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-23, 16:18   Link #113
Thelastguardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzz
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2006-04-23, 16:41   Link #114
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

woohoo! I get to be wiki-website page...er....e.rm.....janitor? O_o

.......... er....yay.

Cut volume in half.....

mmm....sounds like a good compromise between the two alternatives.

Last edited by Onizuka-GTO; 2006-04-23 at 17:12.
Onizuka-GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-23, 17:37   Link #115
Psieye
Lore Hunter

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Actually, let's get one thing clear: what is the aim of this translation project?
1) To have fun and let casual readers also get immersed in the world of the Haruhi novels without worrying about minor errors and inconsistencies?
-or-
2) To achieve academic perfection and present to the world the most perfect example of a Japanese->English translation masterpiece, where all details and styles/atmosphere is perfectly re-created?

I vote for 1. What's everyone else's votes? Do you have an alternate 3rd option?

A group project where people aren't unified in their Purpose and Objectives can't stay together for long - I've seen it happen plenty of times. What do you believe the ideal outcome for this Wiki project will look like?
Old 2006-04-23, 17:48   Link #116
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

i have to say i like the project to be for #1

kinny dedication to want to produce the best translation ever, and the fact that he is willing to do it all first time round is admirable.

I just feel that he can have a easier time, and perhaps have more fun if he takes it less serious. after all, while readers are always impatient. I don't think it justify to keep people waiting for such a long time, when we can compromise and allow translators and editors to work at a good pace. with both group doing their thing.

lets help each other to make this project fun for all haruhiist.
Old 2006-04-23, 18:09   Link #117
Freak Of Nature
Translator / iitran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psieye
Actually, let's get one thing clear: what is the aim of this translation project?
1) To have fun and let casual readers also get immersed in the world of the Haruhi novels without worrying about minor errors and inconsistencies?
-or-
2) To achieve academic perfection and present to the world the most perfect example of a Japanese->English translation masterpiece, where all details and styles/atmosphere is perfectly re-created?

I vote for 1. What's everyone else's votes? Do you have an alternate 3rd option?
I vote for 1, myself.

Which is why I find it rather annoying that what started out as fun for me has now been corrupted for me by Kinny getting his knickers in a twist over something that could have been settled with a few minutes of writing in my User:Talk in the wiki.

If he'd bothered to ask, he'd have learned that I politely asked TLG, at the start of the project, for Chapter 5. TLG okayed that, and I went on from there, translating at my own middling-slow pace from the Japanese original text. If anybody (TLG or Kinny) had bothered to inform me that Kinny apparently had the idea that he'd been promised volume 1, I'd have simply moved to another part of the project. I'm in it for the fun, not the territoriality. If Kinny had offered to discuss his version of Ch. 5, that would have been fine, too.

As I've already told Kinny in his User:Talk page, if he wants Volume 1 so badly that he's willing to trample all over my existing translation without ever bothering to contact me, he can have it. I'll be an editor, then, and second-guess him, instead.

Killjoy.
Occasional QC for other groups
Freak Of Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-23, 18:28   Link #118
Thelastguardian

AFAIK the translators did a fabulous job(am I boasting myself?!); it's the jap-chinese volume translators who messed up.

Of course, the whole point of this is to have fun while introduce SH to other people in an everyday, modern English way.

However, even though we may not do line-by-line translation, I want to follow the novel closely in terms of ideas (so that people won't go like "haha they made a mistake").

Anway

I may be too up tight on this....

Still thinking about what to do with the duplication....

GTO: Janitor? Then you are on the same level as me man . Surely you rank higher? XD
Old 2006-04-23, 18:35   Link #119
Psieye
Lore Hunter

Quote:
AFAIK the translators did a fabulous job(am I boasting myself?!); it's the jap-chinese volume translators who messed up.

Of course, the whole point of this is to have fun while introduce SH to other people in an everyday, modern English way.

However, even though we may not do line-by-line translation, I want to follow the novel closely in terms of ideas (so that people won't go like "haha they made a mistake").
Agreed on the Japanese -> Chinese translators making some slips. But we're not here to present some formal document listing all errors to those Chinese writers, so let's be done with a Disclaimer pointing this out and that if anyone notices an inconsistency with the Japanese text, they should come out and Wiki it themselves.

A Wiki exists for anyone to fix things (and for those changes to be quickly reverted) but many people still cling to more traditional beliefs that only some 'qualified' person should be making the changes. Guess I'd better go over and write that on the Wiki now.

Last edited by Psieye; 2006-04-23 at 18:46.
Old 2006-04-23, 19:15   Link #120
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

yes please do, mind you the only reason people cling to the old belief, is because as wiki so often stated, democracy editing has its pit falls and what might be regard as a helpful contribution can actually do the opposite.

That's why I suggested the guidelines. Anyone can edit, but you are advised to read the guidelines and work within them if you wish to contribute without disrupting the overall project.

TLG: ah, while i tend to be more active on the project website then you rank means important responsibility, which you seem to do so well TLG
Let's just say i'am your feverish Aide de Camp, working in the name of his Lordship. who happened to be working very hard somewhere 10km behind on some beach with all his female secretaries while i watch the Frontline for you.